Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A- deep golden brown, translucent
S - toasted caramel
T - caramel and toffee, a hint of dark chocolate, mild bitter, never lost potency
M - smooth, thick, yet a little prickly, I like
D - a little heavy to have more than 1-2

blah blah blah blah blah
I will drink it again and I wont hesitate to buy a sixer, should I see one.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

A solid offering. I bought the Tommyknocker 12 pack and found them all to be decent beers. This is a heavy hitter at 8.2% and tastes/feels surprisingly less than that. The taste is slightly chocolate and coffee with very little aftertaste. My wife hated it it, but hey she married me so what does that say about her tastes.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz single, from a sampler 6pack from Harris Teeter - Stonecrest in Charlotte.

appearance: pours into a newcastle imperial pint glass...dark and rich amber body, light beige bubbly foam with average retention...the dark garnet body clears up to a bright ruby when held to the light...not a bad looking beer at all

smell: caramel, brown sugar, flaky buttery biscuit, light noble hop presence, sweet and creamy aromas

taste: i remember getting this sampler 6 pack the first week i had moved back to the midwest 3 years ago and thinking they were all pretty much crap (which begs the question, why did i let my dad buy it today?). That said, there is nothing wrong with this beer. Its creamy and smooth with a rich nutty caramel body. It has nice traces of dark fruit, red apples, fig, and walnuts. The booze is masked pretty well and a light herbal tea aftertaste is present. World class bock? - No, but worth a try

mouthfeel: creamy and rich

drinkability: just fine

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Nice clear brown pour with a thick rocky head. Aroma is heavy of malt. The taste is quite malty/sweet with a very fresh hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy. I think that the malt in this beer is great and the hop finish gives it a little spark that makes this brew very drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a fairly dark copper color, with good clariy. Almost no head, and little to no lacing.

Aroma is malty, with caramel, dark fruits, and some alcohol.

Flavor is sweet, and malty, with caramel, and dark fruits upfront. Flavors carry through to the finish, where you pick up an alcohol bite that is slightly burns going down.

Medium-full body, with moderate carbonation. Balance is ok, but I feel like the alcohol could be hidden a little better, the burn into the aftertaste seems out of place. This affects the drinkability too, and with high ABV I can't see having more than one of these at a time. Doubtful I'll seek it out again in any case.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Pours a typical ruddy brown bock color that is partly transparent with a big tan head in my Brooklyn Brewery Flute and it showcases lots of active carbonation.

Smell: Over ripe apples and strawberries grace the nose with a perfumey sweet light malty aroma with bread elements as well.

Taste: It has a strange overripe tropical fruit element that actually turn to sour. I like sour but this is confusing sweet sour. Hmm It starts off with a candy sugar malt and a strawberry flavor bubblegum and a super sweet jolly rancher candy flavor initially in the swallow. There seems like mango and banana smoothie flavor in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy and did I mention this beer is sweet sweet sweet. very sugary and juicy even in the cheeks.

Drinkability: I enjoyed one but it may become cloying after a few.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz brown longneck with clear freshness dating.

Poured into a pine glass the beer is a reddish brown with a small tan head that persists for the duration. Not bad lacing.

The nose is of molasses, hard candy and alcohol.

The taste is sweet and slightly malty. There is some dark sugared fruit and some noticeable alcohol. A hint of toasty malts late.

The mouth is slightly thicker than average. I would expect a chewy mouth from this style. The beer is not a bad stab at the style, but suffers a bit from the raw alcohol taste and it’s a little to sweet.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Color is a luscious amber. Aroma has strong overtone of burnt caramel. Flavor is malty with smoky undertones. This is a very satisfying and drinkable bock, best sipped and enjoyed by itself so one can better appreciate its merits, rather than put away along with a meal.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a nice cloudy dark amber with very little head
No lacing to speak of
Smells of burnt caramel and toffee.
Light mouthfeel with medium carbonation
Tastes of raisons, toffee, alcohol and burnt caramel.The taste lingers for several minutes
Not one of my favorites but plenty of others like it. Definately worth a try so you can form your own opinion.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle from Tony at Family Liquors in Homewood, IL. (Thanks Tony!)

Appearance - A very clear amber liquid with a 1/2 inch off-white head.

Smell - Very malty, somewhat sweet, with a light chocolate scent.

Taste - Right away I notice some alcohol in the first sip. The main taste is very toasty and bready with a touch of light chocolate. Some sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Fairly thin. Not dry. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Good. It would be easy to polish off a few.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Serving Type Sampled: 12fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. Features freshness date.

Appearance: Nutty brown in color, nice caramel colored 2 finger head that diminished into some really neat legs.

Smell: Right of the bat a smell alcohol. Followed by some caramel malt and pungent lager yeast.

Taste: This is a very robust beer with a bit of a sweet side. I taste toffee malts upfront, and a slightly spicy variety of hops in the middle closing with the warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body. Carbonation kind of lacks.

Drinkability: Good, I think this one does this style some justice. I personally don’t think I could handle more than 2 in a session but if you enjoy stronger beers check this one out.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

The pour into my Blanche De Chambly glass (just for fun) raises a bubbly one finger head that falls quickly. It's medium tan, over a dark ruby-copper body that is impressive to behold. The aroma is very lacking, though, with only a slight hint of toasted grain and caramel. Certainly not enough to appease my senses. The taste comes back to normal territory a bit, though: there's definite caramel, molasses, and sweet maltiness. The alcohol is hidden well enough, too, but there's a small amount of unpleasant acidity. The body is a bit thin, but the carbonation is workable. Overall, an easy drinking DB with some obvious holes.

This is a damn good beer. Better than some of the other Tommyknocker offerings. Not a beer I would enjoy too many of alone. Drinking with food a better option. Full bodied, malty flavor. Almost a stout feel, but smoother. I wish I had poured in a glass to see what it looked like.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

I had this beer in a pint glass that came to me with little to no head.
The beer had a nice molasses smell with a hint of dark fruit,maybe raisin? Medium dark ruby color.
The mouthfeel was very nice and would make for great drinkability.
Taste was malty and smooth with almost no hop bitterness.
A nice offering from TommyKnocker and definitley worth a try.

Cheers

3.88/5  rDev +6%

This was my first go round with any of the Tommyknockers and one thing is for sure, I will be back.

Served out a 12oz bottle, it appeared a carmel brown color. Almost like the nut brown ales I have had in the past.

There was only a nice aroma of rich malts that came through and a little bit of caramel notes as well. If feel this got more pronounced the longer the beer was around.

The taste was excellent. Upon first contact with the palate, it registered to me as a rich, carmel malt flavor. Very malty, not very hoppy. After a couple of swishes around in the mouth, the malty caramel flavor remained with just a hint of bitterness. Not much hang with this beer. Makes you want another drink immediately.

Mouthful, as I said before, was very good. Not a lot of carbonation, very light in the mouth. Not much more to say.

As far as drinkability, I want one right now. My six pack didn't last very long. Very smooth, very tasty. Now lets have another.
Cheers.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

When I poured it into my glass the dark roasted marshmallow colored head only made half a finger of depth. It faded quickly to a simple ring at the edge of the glass. The liquid was deep brown and slightly hazy. Held to light it became rosy brown almost like a black tea.

The smell was so soft I almost forgot about it. I had to stick my nose in the glass and then had to have my wife sniff it (she's eight months pregnant, so I figured that if anyone could smell it would be her) We came up with some wheat, grain, almost a mildew smell. Somewhere in there was malt but who knows.

Mouthfeel was good and smooth. Medium weight with little if any carbonation on the tongue. Real slick and fell down the throat. At first taste it was sweet. This fades to nut, grain, oatmeal and a nice malt flow. The aftertaste is what led me astray. It hung around and almost had a blood taste. Interesting touch.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer poured a light brown with a thin tan head. Smell was a hint of malt & carmel.
This beer taste a little too sweet for my liking but it does have a nice kick.
Mouthfeel is thin with little after taste.
This beer was somewhat of a disappointment to me but its still drinkable. I may drink it again.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 sample case At Liquor Barn Hurstborne

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

different
but good!
A deep tan-amber
mildly carbonated beer
lends a definite syrupy feel
due to the strong caramel malts
Yet has a nice little hoppiness
- nothing extreme -
- that helps to balance
what would be almost too sweet-
a rich molasses feel with a slight vine bittered finish

a little "rougher" going down
as it is
definitely less roasted
and more sweetened and hopped
than the "...ator" German Doppelbocks
a seemingly slightly
different spin on the traditional-
Is good.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

pours a redish brown color with a quarter inch head and some lacing to finish. smell is caramel and toffee and alcohol. taste is the same but improves if you let it warm up a little. mouthfeel light, weak carbonation which takes away from the taste. not at the bottom of the list but i would look for something else.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This poured with a decent, deep-tan/light-brown head with low retention. The color was a cloudy deep amber. The nose was rich and sweet, sugary, with a big presence of alcohol heat. The mouthfeel was thick and chewy with a caramel-like sweetness on the tongue. The finish was lingeringly, cloyingly sweet with a caramel and molasses-like sweetness. I probably would not want more than a couple of these at a time.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Some of the beers in my Tommyknocker variety pack have lacked something in the taste (and mouthfeel) department. This one was an exception and, except for the limts on drinkability posed by the higher ABV, it's a very tasty offering.

Nice bold, dark amber in the glass with a low, foamy head. Heavy (slightly roasted) malt in the nose; decent mouthfeel with minimal carbonation and a wonderful, rich malt flavor. Unlike another doppelbock I tasted recently, this one was all malt and flavor--not alcohol. It's one of those that snuck up on me a bit as I enjoyed the flavor. Next thing I know I had a nice buzz. But this one tasted great getting there.

2.38/5  rDev -35%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear, light chestnut brown with a small tan head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass. Color seems a little light for a dopple.

Aroma is malty with a strong nuttiness and light toasted smells.

Taste is malty and nutty upfront leading into a rather sharp bitterness that lasts through the finish. The sharpness dominates any other quality that may be present.

Medium body, mild carbonation.

Not the worst offering I have ever tasted, and I could finish the bottle if I wanted to. But, life is too short and I have much better beer to drink. Down the drain she goes.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

I didn't expect much from this Doppelbock, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Appearance was quite good. There was a fair amount of white head and a clear and sparkling coffee-colored body.

Aroma was a bit lackluster, as this beer smelled only faintly of malt.

Taste was very good and true to the style (near as I understand it). Taste was full-bodied and malty, with only a wisp of hop character. I'm not a huge fan of this style, but I thought this example was very good.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, and I thought this beer pretty drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

A - Deep ruby amber and clear with a big three finger head that eventually reduces to a tight cap. Decent spotty lacing.

S - Thickly malted chocolate cake aromas with rootbeer and caramel notes.

T - Big malt presence that has chocolate, caramel, ginger, and cinnamon elements. Much bigger hop profile that I would have imagined.

M - Full bodied, slick at first with a dry and hoppy finsh. Excellent

D - Very good. An excellently drinkable winter brew.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Hazy murky bronze/copper color with lots of tiny suspended sediment. Good malt aroma with a touch of hops at first and a slight touch of oxidation. Tastes much like it smells. Medium-full bodied with a light creaminess.

A bit off (aged quickly? I only missed the Enjoy By by 5 days !!) ... but nice maltiness nonetheless.

Per TB website: Munich, caramel and chocolate malts. Bavarian lager yeast. German Hallertau hops. 8.2% ABV.
1997 GABF - Silver