Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Part of a six beer sample pack...

Orange-tinged brown color, clear in presentation. Middling head of foam, but with good staying power. Wide horizontal laces. Lightyl caramel nose, a bit of raisin comes through as well. Mouthfeel is good, medium in body with carbonation on the low side. Predominantly malty flavor, dark maple syrup but with some more complex notes, fruity cherry and a bitter unsweetened chocolate sense comes on about midway through the profile. A little bite and alcohol to the finish. Works pretty well with a couple of things going on to give you something to think about -- I enjoyed this one.

ADR, Mar 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a wonderfully malt scent that boasts of crystal, chocolate, and roasted malts. It's dry and quite warming. The taste is good. It has a sweet malty flavor that boasts of crystal and chocolate malts along with a dry lager yeast. It's smooth on the way down and warm on the finish. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good beer. I love the warm, malty aroma as well as the full flavored taste; a good drinker.

WesWes, Mar 14, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Nice deep amber in color, with a decent laching. Interesting dopplebock - definitely has the sweet malts (hints of maple and chocolate), but also has some clear hops-kick to it, changing its character from a typical dopplebock This is well balanced on the palate, though the finish is a little too dry for the style, and overall is pretty drinkable. I like it. Good American version.

kingjames1, Mar 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Amber in colour with medium carbonation. Huge and heady red-wine aroma, with notes of caramel. More caramel and red wine acidity in the mouth, which eventually gives way to some bready and nutty notes on the finish. Heavy on the palate, without being cloying. Generally speaking, this isn't my favorite style of beer, but this sample was pretty good. Thanks rudge75.

fisherman34, Feb 20, 2006
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Served from a bottle into a beer stein, it's an alright looking beer, a dark reddish brown, but clear - not cloudy, with almost no head and minimal lacing, if that's important to you. Perhaps my olfactories fail me, but there is almost no nose to speak of. I thought I detected a slight sour note of hops, but it was gone before I could really be sure. The flavor is quite alright. It doesn't completely compensate for the absence of any sort of aroma, but it's solid. A good balance of hops and malt with a bit of nuttiness and caramel thrown in. No detectable smoky/burnt roastedness observed. I have to agree with other reviewers that compared to most doppelbocks, it's flavor and mouthfeel are a bit thin. It does lack a certain robustness, and the consequent smoothness that the majority possess. If I didn't know better, I'd call it a strong ale, which may be good news to ale fans, but if you're looking for an above average doppelbock, you won't find it here. Regardless, it's still a solid beer. The aftertaste is nice, with a noticable caramel presence. While it may be lacking in certain qualities and it's doppelbock classification is dubious at best, it's still a good beer.

JWFokker, Feb 15, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

12oz. bottle with a cool picture of 2 TommyKnocker miners riding rams and head butting them together. They're all doing this in front of the mine where they should be doing thier jobs instead of riding the rams. :-) It had a back label with info about the beer, Best Before date and more numbers on the side, which I'm not so sure what they mean. I picked up mine, even when I saw that it expired on October of 2005. I thought that a Dopplebock style beer with an almost 8% ABV could last a little longer than Oct. and who knows might even taste better with age.

Appearance: Poured a beautiful hazy light ruby red color with a very thin head of foam. It didn't leave too much lace but did have some rings around my pilsner glass. Although a nice color, but to me it isn't the usual Dopplebock dark brown/ruby/black color.

Smell: I couldn't put my finger on much of the smell, but what I can say is that it was somewhat fruity, sweet, and with a hint of malts in the background. Very good ale aroma, but not lager aroma.

Taste: When reading the back of the label, I thought since this was a Dopplebock and was brewed with a generous amount of roasted malts, I was expecting mostly malts in the taste, but I was wrong. What I got instead was some sweetness up front, plenty of hops in the middle, and very little malts at the end. This would be an excellent taste if this was an ale, but this is a Dopplebock.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, little carbonation, and with a sweet hops aftertaste. Even with a 7.9%ABV, I thought this was a little weak and bland.

Drinkability: This made for a nice light drink, but in my book this isn't a Dopplebock. Like I said before, I thought this beer would age well but I guess not. If I ever get my hands on a fresher one I will for sure rereview it. I still don't see how a fresher one would improve this beer.

AltBock, Feb 03, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

An off-red, somewhat murky, a thin white-ring head. Some caramel malts, spices, apples and hints of alcohol. A first impression is generally a good one—sweet malts, chestnuts and some sugary pasty alcohol; there are hints of chocolate. The body is slightly acidic, yet somewhat sticky at the same time. Alcohol notes are come-and-go, borders on medium bodied. A doughy and pancake loaded with syrup palate; fulfilling, very rich and sweet. Very nice.

GeoffRizzo, Jan 28, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

A great looking beer, classic red/brown, slightly hazy with some cascading effect when poured. Bubbly, thick orange/white head. Leaves some lace and a ring around the top of the beer.
Smell is spicy malt, pepper and citrus, and alcohol.
Taste is nice compared with similar dopplebocks. Strong malt, sweet and tangy, alcohol is present near the top of the glass, minimal hop presence, maybe a bit of floral hops in the back of the mouth.
This beer is medium to thick and chewey in the mouth, not much carbonation, but full.
Don't think I would have many of these in a row, but would seek it out again, if Celebrator or Sam Adams weren't available.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Jan 25, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. with an overdue freshness date, but at almost 8% and under a year old it should be no problem. Pours into the pilsner glass a reddish brown with sediment that rises and falls while the bubbles make their way to the top. The head is beige and thin on the pour, receding quickly, but later regains a thin blanket and leaves some lacing. Smells of raisins, vinous and caramel malts, sweetness, pine, and some scent that I can't quite pin down but am pretty sure it's not supposed to be there. The flavors are dark malts, a lot of sweetness, alcohol, and green/piney hops that have a surprising bitterness for a dopplebock. The body is thick and coats the mouth a bit more thick than I'd want. I was initially very skeptical, but it became more tolerable as I progressed. However, it would be hard to drink another one and from drinking one I can already imagine the hangover created by making it a session beer.

mmmbeer, Nov 22, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

pours a dark ruby color with a small tan head, probably due to high alcohol content.

Smells very malty,sweet and fruity. Smell Like it's going to be a good one.

Tastes very malty and strong of alcohol. Reminds me of a strong ale, even though it is a bock and is lagered. Very little hops, mostly sweet, fruity malt flavor.

Dry on the finish. Good mouthfeel..

I would say that I would definately buy another 6 pack or so. A very good beeer.

metallistout, Nov 16, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Left me preface this review by saying this is my favorite style of bottom fermented beer and when done right stands up well against IPAs, ESBs and Big Ales of various stripes.

Appearance: Lovely clear marroon color with a massive tan to light brown head that left a clingy ring all the way down the glass.

Smell: Malts, raisuns, fruit and alcohol all are there ti enjoy

Taste: Fruitty bready taste makes me think of hawaiian sweet bread or a fresh-baked muffin. Bitterness and sweetness are present on the tounge and throat, alocohol taste is present, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: syrupy yet smooth, bleies it's strength

Despite the wallop it packs this is a moreish beer and ceratanally this best American dopplebock I've tasted

russpowell, Sep 27, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Butthead pours a viscous, opaque brown with almost no head. It smells more alcoholic than it should, even given the 7.9% ABV. There's also a lot of sweet caramel maltiness. The flavor is surprisingly chocolately, and very pleasingly so, with some toffee as well. Doesn't taste very alcoholic at all. Mouthfeel is extremely thick. I wasn't expecting this doppelbock to be anywhere near as good as Autumnal Fire or Thomas Hooker Liberator, given that I really disliked Tommyknocker's Maple Nut Brown, but Butthead was pretty damn good. I'm still hung up on the sweet, subtle chocolate flavor--really good. I could easily have several of these and be smashed before I knew it.

battlekow, Sep 23, 2005

Poured this one from bottle with Feb 05 drink by date. Pours a dark rosy brown that looks much like a brown ale. There were lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass, but the head is very thin and dissipates to nothing quickly. The aroma is of sweet caramel and strong malts, also slightly like roasted coffee.

The taste is good, again, like sweet caramel and coffee. There is a very mild alcohol taste as well as in the nose, but it is not overwhelming. Overall, a good beer that I recommend.

abcsofbeer, Aug 31, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

The color is right with this beer. It’s a deep brown with some ruby highlights. It was topped by a 2 inch tan head that receded quickly into the glass, yet left no lace. The aroma is all malt with toffee, caramel and just a hint of a dark cherry. The flavor is thin. It has some of the caramel and toffee, but there is no richness or depth. The cherry flavor disappears. The mouth feel is thin and watery, and overall this has a low drinakbility. Sorry, this is one of my favorite styles, and I don’t believe it is that hard to brew, so I’m a bit disappointed with this beer.

carln26, Jul 31, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: It is pretty deep copper brown color that poured with a very small head that fell very quickly. Though the beer is dark, I am used to a DoppelBock with this hue to be crystal clear when held to the light...this one is noticeably cloudy even after it settles.

Aroma: There is some alcohol noticeable in the aroma, and this brings with it some dark fruity aroma's like plums. There is some toasty malt there, but I get very little Melanoidins in this beer. There are some caramel notes there that may be obscuring the Melanoidins if they are there.

Taste: This beer is way mild for a DoppelBock, and this is one of my favorite styles. I get some toasty notes here, but not nearly the earthy notes that you get from a rich German Bock. Flavor-wise, I think that this beer would probably be better suited for a Traditional Bock, but the alcohol has been turned up a bit high for that style. It needs more flavor for it to fit this style.

SkeeterHawk, Jul 26, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Brown long-neck 12 oz. bottle with "...enjoy within 4 month of date notched". And the date notched was 2-05, so I missed it by a month. Perhaps I can attribute my experience to missing by a month, but it shouldn't make this much difference.

The beer poured a reddish brown. It was crystal clear, but it had no head, probably thanks to the alcohol.

Aroma was malt and alcohol. Not a terrible smell, but not one that would attract you to the beer, either.

Taste was malt along with some dark fruits, alcohol, and a sourness that was a major distraction for me. It reminded me of eating the shell of a hazelnut -- the really bitter part.

Full mouthfeel, almost chewy; but for me this was not a beer to savor.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but was gladder to be done with it. Unless one month made all the difference here, it's a beer I can't recommend.

ncbrewerbun, Jul 22, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed later that same evening. Pours a light tan one-finger head over a crystal clear dark bronze-reddish liquid. Beauty to look at with a couple tiny streamers rising up through the beer. Smells potently of complex caramel. Sweet dark musty. Some toasty qualities, a hint of chocolate, a barely noticable alcohol burn, as well as that musty smell (which I think is a noble hop). Smells delicious. Taste is rich caramel with some chocolate and some toasted grains. Very sweet...too much so, IMO. A wood character comes in with a late alcohol. Can't decide if that wood is from hops or part of the alcohol. After the alcohol is a tinge of sour, like grapes (not cherries). The aftertaste is rich in chocolate and is very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is mild. It's a bit too heavy and sweet to be really drinkable, but I like it a great deal.

mentor, Jul 15, 2005
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Picked up at Woodman's West as part of the Tommyknocker Mother Lode Sampler 12-pack.

Pours a dark ruby brown with minimal head. Looks nice. Nose is of chocolate and toffee with some maltiness. Taste is chocolate and coffee with a strong alcoholic bite. Not off-putting, but it's there. My first dopplebock and not a bad brew. Mouthfeel is creamy, with medium carbonation. Alcohol becomes more apparent as it warms. It'll kick your butt after a couple, so enjoyable in moderation. I love coffee and chocolate flavors in beer, andI was surprised by that in this brew. Good offering from Tommyknocker.

Golden2wenty1, Jul 12, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with absolutely no head, not a trace, dark brown body, still lets light thourhg, but not a large amount. Smell is brown sugary and malty, but doesn't stand out a lot. Taste has a lot of alcohol warming in it, which is accented by rich sweet malty flavors. Kind of one note, and lacking depth. Slick mouthfeel, but this is not a top notch dopplebock by any means.

TastyTaste, Jun 18, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours a murky, sickly brown without a head - none. Odd swirling masses of bubble-like matter in there, below the surface. Seems like bubbles anyway.

Smells like apple and other over-ripe fruit. A hint of allspice as it warms.

Taste is alright, rather bland. A mix of sharp berry, cough syrup and a wee bit of bread ... might not sound so good, but oddly it's fairly nice all together. Unimpressive, inoffensive. Is that good?

Mouthfeel is the worst part of this brew. Dull. Flat. Dead.

Not so great, not so bad. I really have mixed thoughts about this guy. I'll give it another go. The very low (non-existent) carbonation seems a bit suspect.

budsboy, May 18, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a light brown color with red on the sides. Head is minimal and lacing is moderate. I like the color though. Aroma is really nice with a caramel/toffee nut mix. Slightly sweet but a little alcohol sting is in there as well. Flavor begins with the traditional dopplebock taste of carmel and nuts and is nice and creamy and rich. But there's no chocolate or other malts in there to balance the strong caramel flavors or give complexity. A roasted bitterness is there but its weak. The finish leans toward acidic notes, which I didn't really care for, and is quite abrupt. This beer starts out good but loses steam the further I go. One and done, but decent nonetheless.

granger10, May 04, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a brown with reddish burgandy highlights small tan head fades fast not much in the way of lace.
Aroma is malty with a mixture of caramel and molasses with some nutty aromas with hints of spicey hops.
Taste is malty molassses brown sugar some caramel mix together finish is malty and slightly nutty with hints of spicey herbal like hops. Overall nothing exciting or as nice as a good Doppelbock.
Mouthfeel is right around medium carbonation adding a little zest to the feel in the finish.
Drinkability is ok for a beer if looking for a good Doppelbock look elsewhere this one pretty average nothing worth trying again. Thanks again go to merlin48 for this sample.

mntlover, Mar 14, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Body pours an attractive, clear, chestnut color with ruby hues when held to the light. Small, beige head on an aggressive pour has little retention. Minimal lacing.
Aroma is decent, with malty notes of caramel, toffee, and molasses and a hint of floral hop.
Mouthfeel is light medium in body, with moderate carbonation.
Taste is malty sweet, with notes of caramel and molasses. A soft, floral hops bitterness does little to counter the sweetness. Finish is more sweet maltiness. Alcohol is well hidden in the grain bill.
This one was the best of the Tommyknocker sampler box, but I was not very impressed with the brewery's bottled offerings.

merlin48, Jan 31, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a light brown color with a small head that quickly dies off and leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is comprised of a slight fruitiness and a caramel malt. The flavor was much the same as the aroma. A fruity and caramel malty flavor give this beer decent balance. I really didn't enjoy the flavor of this one.

clvand0, Nov 08, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Brown.

Subtle aroma of dark fruits and deep malts.

Well orchestrated flavor profile with notes of mixed nuts, dark fruits, deep malts, mainly munich and caramel and a phenomenal finish of banana and clove. Nice German yeast taste. Well hidden alcohol. No wonder this has won gold at the GABF the past 2 years.

Crosling, Oct 13, 2004