Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So its nearly 8% huh? That explains the buzz. Apparently the alcohol is fairly well hidden, I expected this to be around 6. Not a bad stab at the style, reminds me of Spaten Optimator. Rich, but simple licorice and chocolate flavor. The flavor is a little less nice as the beer warms up, but still not a bad doppelbock. Its no Celebrator, but I wouldnt turn one down.

tempest, Jun 11, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not too shabby, but a typical of Micro Dopplebocks. Certainly has a malty rich profile that shows a lot of promise. But it lacks maturity, complexity, roundness, and togetherness. The malts show large syrup, caramel, nuttiness, and a light roated / toastedness. Never really shows the deep dark fruit flavors or the warming alcohol sensation. Finishes a little too sweet and lacks boldness. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just not as good as the style suggests.

BEERchitect, Jun 07, 2006

Gives up the ghost into a goblet that is a hazy auburn hue topped with a skim coating of skimpy khaki.

Aroma is a grainy punchy carrot cake hint with toasted wheat bread malt and a toffee and clover honey like sweetness scent.

First swigs: Fruitcake and cherry fruit hints blend with a sweet sugary almost tea like flavor. Middle palate has a rich vanilla and nutty pecan suggestion. Lots of intersting fruity and nutty flavors here.

Medium body with a rich creamy feel that sticks to the palate.

Last swigs: A bright doppel that is rather taster friendly. TommyKnocker did a real fine job with this one and it's cheap too!

blitheringidiot, Jun 06, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Tommyknocker Butthead Doppelbock pours a toffee colored brown with a small tan head. The aroma is malty, with caramel like smell. Malty, caramel like taste. Thick mouthfeel. The alcohol is definitely noticeable. Quite a nice beer, I'd like to get some of my hop head friends to try this one, maybe it will convert them to the joys of malt. Recommended.

Drew966, Jun 04, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance is a copper brown with some light brown foam that sticks around. Aroma is malty, with notes of molasses and dates. Initial taste is creamy caramel, raisins and malt. There is not much carbonation, but the middle is a balance of hops and malt with overtones of toffee. Finish has toast, biscuits and leaves a nice aftertaste. Reminds me of Salvator and Celebrator! Excellent!

palliko, May 21, 2006

Poured a dark chestnut. A pretty traditional malt profile for the style, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on some roasted caramel flavors. Hints at going syrupy, but doesn't, and initially strikes a chord as being sweet, but this really doesn't pan out as much as the first impression would suggest. A bit of alcohol pepper lurks in the background. Overall, a little heavyhanded but competently done.

Brent, May 17, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims as part of a brewery mixed six pack. The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear scarlett coloration. The head was one finger high with a honey coloration. Thick rings of lacing descend down the side of the glass.

Smell: The beer has a roasted toffee and caramel maltyness. There is a bit of alcohol spicyness.

Taste: The beer has a big sweet caramel fruity malty backbone. There is a spicy alcohol hit. The beer then goes a bit bitter balancing the sweetness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a big chewy mouthfeel. The beer is full bodied. The beer is easy to drink. This is a descent Doppelbock.

nlmartin, Apr 26, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear caramel color with a three inch beige head that leaves splashy lacing

Smell: Not too much aroma, but I detect some caramel malt and maple tones

Taste: Chocolate and caramel up front (almost like a German Chocolate Cake, just not as sweet); the sweetness is well-restrained with a slight hop flavor on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated

Drinkability: I like this interpretation of the style; lots of interesting flavor but never cloyingly sweet; well-balanced

brentk56, Apr 21, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice brown color, perhaps a little light, with a slight head.

It smells better: malty and syrupy sweet, quite nice.

The taste is equally good. There are very nice sweet and roasted notes from the malts.

The body is a little light, too. I would prefer a little more substance.

This isn't the best doppelbock out there, but it is still pretty good.

Shaw, Apr 11, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Part of a six beer sample pack...

Orange-tinged brown color, clear in presentation. Middling head of foam, but with good staying power. Wide horizontal laces. Lightyl caramel nose, a bit of raisin comes through as well. Mouthfeel is good, medium in body with carbonation on the low side. Predominantly malty flavor, dark maple syrup but with some more complex notes, fruity cherry and a bitter unsweetened chocolate sense comes on about midway through the profile. A little bite and alcohol to the finish. Works pretty well with a couple of things going on to give you something to think about -- I enjoyed this one.

ADR, Mar 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a wonderfully malt scent that boasts of crystal, chocolate, and roasted malts. It's dry and quite warming. The taste is good. It has a sweet malty flavor that boasts of crystal and chocolate malts along with a dry lager yeast. It's smooth on the way down and warm on the finish. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good beer. I love the warm, malty aroma as well as the full flavored taste; a good drinker.

WesWes, Mar 14, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Nice deep amber in color, with a decent laching. Interesting dopplebock - definitely has the sweet malts (hints of maple and chocolate), but also has some clear hops-kick to it, changing its character from a typical dopplebock This is well balanced on the palate, though the finish is a little too dry for the style, and overall is pretty drinkable. I like it. Good American version.

kingjames1, Mar 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Amber in colour with medium carbonation. Huge and heady red-wine aroma, with notes of caramel. More caramel and red wine acidity in the mouth, which eventually gives way to some bready and nutty notes on the finish. Heavy on the palate, without being cloying. Generally speaking, this isn't my favorite style of beer, but this sample was pretty good. Thanks rudge75.

fisherman34, Feb 20, 2006
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Served from a bottle into a beer stein, it's an alright looking beer, a dark reddish brown, but clear - not cloudy, with almost no head and minimal lacing, if that's important to you. Perhaps my olfactories fail me, but there is almost no nose to speak of. I thought I detected a slight sour note of hops, but it was gone before I could really be sure. The flavor is quite alright. It doesn't completely compensate for the absence of any sort of aroma, but it's solid. A good balance of hops and malt with a bit of nuttiness and caramel thrown in. No detectable smoky/burnt roastedness observed. I have to agree with other reviewers that compared to most doppelbocks, it's flavor and mouthfeel are a bit thin. It does lack a certain robustness, and the consequent smoothness that the majority possess. If I didn't know better, I'd call it a strong ale, which may be good news to ale fans, but if you're looking for an above average doppelbock, you won't find it here. Regardless, it's still a solid beer. The aftertaste is nice, with a noticable caramel presence. While it may be lacking in certain qualities and it's doppelbock classification is dubious at best, it's still a good beer.

JWFokker, Feb 15, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

12oz. bottle with a cool picture of 2 TommyKnocker miners riding rams and head butting them together. They're all doing this in front of the mine where they should be doing thier jobs instead of riding the rams. :-) It had a back label with info about the beer, Best Before date and more numbers on the side, which I'm not so sure what they mean. I picked up mine, even when I saw that it expired on October of 2005. I thought that a Dopplebock style beer with an almost 8% ABV could last a little longer than Oct. and who knows might even taste better with age.

Appearance: Poured a beautiful hazy light ruby red color with a very thin head of foam. It didn't leave too much lace but did have some rings around my pilsner glass. Although a nice color, but to me it isn't the usual Dopplebock dark brown/ruby/black color.

Smell: I couldn't put my finger on much of the smell, but what I can say is that it was somewhat fruity, sweet, and with a hint of malts in the background. Very good ale aroma, but not lager aroma.

Taste: When reading the back of the label, I thought since this was a Dopplebock and was brewed with a generous amount of roasted malts, I was expecting mostly malts in the taste, but I was wrong. What I got instead was some sweetness up front, plenty of hops in the middle, and very little malts at the end. This would be an excellent taste if this was an ale, but this is a Dopplebock.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, little carbonation, and with a sweet hops aftertaste. Even with a 7.9%ABV, I thought this was a little weak and bland.

Drinkability: This made for a nice light drink, but in my book this isn't a Dopplebock. Like I said before, I thought this beer would age well but I guess not. If I ever get my hands on a fresher one I will for sure rereview it. I still don't see how a fresher one would improve this beer.

AltBock, Feb 03, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

An off-red, somewhat murky, a thin white-ring head. Some caramel malts, spices, apples and hints of alcohol. A first impression is generally a good one—sweet malts, chestnuts and some sugary pasty alcohol; there are hints of chocolate. The body is slightly acidic, yet somewhat sticky at the same time. Alcohol notes are come-and-go, borders on medium bodied. A doughy and pancake loaded with syrup palate; fulfilling, very rich and sweet. Very nice.

GeoffRizzo, Jan 28, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

A great looking beer, classic red/brown, slightly hazy with some cascading effect when poured. Bubbly, thick orange/white head. Leaves some lace and a ring around the top of the beer.
Smell is spicy malt, pepper and citrus, and alcohol.
Taste is nice compared with similar dopplebocks. Strong malt, sweet and tangy, alcohol is present near the top of the glass, minimal hop presence, maybe a bit of floral hops in the back of the mouth.
This beer is medium to thick and chewey in the mouth, not much carbonation, but full.
Don't think I would have many of these in a row, but would seek it out again, if Celebrator or Sam Adams weren't available.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Jan 25, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. with an overdue freshness date, but at almost 8% and under a year old it should be no problem. Pours into the pilsner glass a reddish brown with sediment that rises and falls while the bubbles make their way to the top. The head is beige and thin on the pour, receding quickly, but later regains a thin blanket and leaves some lacing. Smells of raisins, vinous and caramel malts, sweetness, pine, and some scent that I can't quite pin down but am pretty sure it's not supposed to be there. The flavors are dark malts, a lot of sweetness, alcohol, and green/piney hops that have a surprising bitterness for a dopplebock. The body is thick and coats the mouth a bit more thick than I'd want. I was initially very skeptical, but it became more tolerable as I progressed. However, it would be hard to drink another one and from drinking one I can already imagine the hangover created by making it a session beer.

mmmbeer, Nov 22, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

pours a dark ruby color with a small tan head, probably due to high alcohol content.

Smells very malty,sweet and fruity. Smell Like it's going to be a good one.

Tastes very malty and strong of alcohol. Reminds me of a strong ale, even though it is a bock and is lagered. Very little hops, mostly sweet, fruity malt flavor.

Dry on the finish. Good mouthfeel..

I would say that I would definately buy another 6 pack or so. A very good beeer.

metallistout, Nov 16, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Left me preface this review by saying this is my favorite style of bottom fermented beer and when done right stands up well against IPAs, ESBs and Big Ales of various stripes.

Appearance: Lovely clear marroon color with a massive tan to light brown head that left a clingy ring all the way down the glass.

Smell: Malts, raisuns, fruit and alcohol all are there ti enjoy

Taste: Fruitty bready taste makes me think of hawaiian sweet bread or a fresh-baked muffin. Bitterness and sweetness are present on the tounge and throat, alocohol taste is present, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: syrupy yet smooth, bleies it's strength

Despite the wallop it packs this is a moreish beer and ceratanally this best American dopplebock I've tasted

russpowell, Sep 27, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Butthead pours a viscous, opaque brown with almost no head. It smells more alcoholic than it should, even given the 7.9% ABV. There's also a lot of sweet caramel maltiness. The flavor is surprisingly chocolately, and very pleasingly so, with some toffee as well. Doesn't taste very alcoholic at all. Mouthfeel is extremely thick. I wasn't expecting this doppelbock to be anywhere near as good as Autumnal Fire or Thomas Hooker Liberator, given that I really disliked Tommyknocker's Maple Nut Brown, but Butthead was pretty damn good. I'm still hung up on the sweet, subtle chocolate flavor--really good. I could easily have several of these and be smashed before I knew it.

battlekow, Sep 23, 2005

Poured this one from bottle with Feb 05 drink by date. Pours a dark rosy brown that looks much like a brown ale. There were lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass, but the head is very thin and dissipates to nothing quickly. The aroma is of sweet caramel and strong malts, also slightly like roasted coffee.

The taste is good, again, like sweet caramel and coffee. There is a very mild alcohol taste as well as in the nose, but it is not overwhelming. Overall, a good beer that I recommend.

abcsofbeer, Aug 31, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

The color is right with this beer. It’s a deep brown with some ruby highlights. It was topped by a 2 inch tan head that receded quickly into the glass, yet left no lace. The aroma is all malt with toffee, caramel and just a hint of a dark cherry. The flavor is thin. It has some of the caramel and toffee, but there is no richness or depth. The cherry flavor disappears. The mouth feel is thin and watery, and overall this has a low drinakbility. Sorry, this is one of my favorite styles, and I don’t believe it is that hard to brew, so I’m a bit disappointed with this beer.

carln26, Jul 31, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: It is pretty deep copper brown color that poured with a very small head that fell very quickly. Though the beer is dark, I am used to a DoppelBock with this hue to be crystal clear when held to the light...this one is noticeably cloudy even after it settles.

Aroma: There is some alcohol noticeable in the aroma, and this brings with it some dark fruity aroma's like plums. There is some toasty malt there, but I get very little Melanoidins in this beer. There are some caramel notes there that may be obscuring the Melanoidins if they are there.

Taste: This beer is way mild for a DoppelBock, and this is one of my favorite styles. I get some toasty notes here, but not nearly the earthy notes that you get from a rich German Bock. Flavor-wise, I think that this beer would probably be better suited for a Traditional Bock, but the alcohol has been turned up a bit high for that style. It needs more flavor for it to fit this style.

SkeeterHawk, Jul 26, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Brown long-neck 12 oz. bottle with "...enjoy within 4 month of date notched". And the date notched was 2-05, so I missed it by a month. Perhaps I can attribute my experience to missing by a month, but it shouldn't make this much difference.

The beer poured a reddish brown. It was crystal clear, but it had no head, probably thanks to the alcohol.

Aroma was malt and alcohol. Not a terrible smell, but not one that would attract you to the beer, either.

Taste was malt along with some dark fruits, alcohol, and a sourness that was a major distraction for me. It reminded me of eating the shell of a hazelnut -- the really bitter part.

Full mouthfeel, almost chewy; but for me this was not a beer to savor.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but was gladder to be done with it. Unless one month made all the difference here, it's a beer I can't recommend.

ncbrewerbun, Jul 22, 2005