Maple Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Maple Nut Brown AleMaple Nut Brown Ale

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maple Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros

Appears a dark amber brown hue with a thin khaki tan head forming with minimal speckled lacing. Aroma, deep sweet fruit and maple syrup notes there's not much brown ale characteristic in the smell of this brew. Fuckin' disgusting maple syrup cloyingly sweet flavor with nothing else going on this is by far one of the worst beers I've come across on the planet, it makes my gag reflux kick with instant acid reflux. This beer is terrible thn bodied artificial carbonation these people should throwin the towel and be forced to chug Canadian Breakfast Stout bombers rom Founders, as far as being drinkable that's an absolute no. Drain pour, is the only justable end to this beer as far as drinkability goes are you fuckin' kidding me.

WVbeergeek, Sep 17, 2010

gts, Jul 21, 2013

mnsdg, Dec 03, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -69.2%

I had this many years ago and was amazed to find something worse than macro swill. Anyway years later a friend gave me a sample...still just awful.

A Look, it's brown there's an ok head here. It's nothing special.

S Honestly it smells like they just added sugar and articial maple to this thing. I'm not sure if there's beer in this glass.

T I don't see this as a brown ale. There's nothing going on here. It's syrupy and well bland. It's too sweet, it's too thin.

D well it tastes awful so good luck drinking more. It was a drain pour the first time and well I only took a small sample this time so I finished the 3-4 oz I had, but there's no way I could have made it through a bottle. It's thin enough and the alcohol doesn't kick so if you liked this you could have a few I suppose.

M I guess I should give it some credit here. If the maple flavor or whatever that off setting sweetness is doesn't get to you, you may not have an issue with the mouth feel. I don't get it. It's thin in body but somewhat sticky. Not pleasant.

There is too much flavor for a macro drinker and just bad for everyone else. I find maple a bit off in many beers but they normally have other things there and it can work darn well. This beer just doesn't do it for me.

bobhits, Aug 27, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours a thick bodied dark opaque brown. Looks kind of like maple syrup. Thats what they call foreshadowing. Smells like Mrs. Butterworth's. There are some other nutty malty smells bubbling up in the background, but sticky-sweet atificial maple syrup taste and smell overwhelms everything else. I couldn't swallow the first sip. Some sweet mapley nutty flavors are expected in a nut brown ale, but not like this. It's so disgustingly sweet and artificial, I'm not even sure if I'm drinking beer. I swear it is brewed with high fructose corn syrup. I managed to get down about half the bottle but no more. The thick sweet body makes this undrinkable. Avoid.

lester619, Apr 22, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -46.3%

wow, very watery!... the dullest most boring beer in the history of ales ... at least there's no aftertaste ... hell, at least theres no aftertaste, but u need taste to get an aftertaste..one of the shadiest brown ales around .... more disappointing than constipation...

Onslow, May 07, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -44.3%

Dark yet transluscent maroon colored pour with a light beige head. Oddly sweet maple smell, with a light sour vinegar smell. Not good. Taste is basically nutty, light, smooth and boring. I bought 3 other beers from this brewery and I hope this isn't their best... I really wanted to like this, and was drawn in from the bottle, but it really wasn't good. Didn't finish and wouldn't get again.

JDV, Feb 06, 2008
1.96/5  rDev -42.5%

mikethesween, Oct 16, 2014
1.98/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured a dark and slightly hazy brown with a big head that faded fairly quickly leaving some descent lacing. The smell is roasted malt and chocolate with a touch of sweetness. Wow...not for me. Take this one with a grain of salt. Maybe it went bad; it is 4 months past 'due'. The mouth on this one isn't sweet at all. Instead its a biting, sharp, astringent sting. In other words, its a pour. I would have thought that would have shown in the nose.

jjayjaye, Sep 18, 2007

Mudawg, Apr 03, 2012

vfgccp, Feb 27, 2012

JHendu, May 23, 2014

Zetcha7x, Mar 12, 2014

csadkins54, Jan 09, 2014

I think I got an old one, this did not taste anything like what I was expecting. Pours a dark brown color with a medium beige and quickly dissipating head. Next to no lacing. Aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor was just way too sour, with a touch of sweetness that could have been caramel and could have been malt. Hard to tell though as the sourness dominated. Finish was kind of flat. I'll have to try this one again some time, it just seemed off.

Dogbrick, Jan 23, 2003
2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

Presentation: "Cartoonish" label on a 12oz. amber bottle. According to the stamping, I was supposedly enjoying this beer within the 4 month date stamped on the bottle.

Appearance: Medium-dark brown in color with a sickly head.

Smell: I suspected something was up when I smelled this. It had a sour aroma. No nut-like smells whatsoever.

Taste: The first (of only a few) sips confirmed my suspicions. I think I had a bad bottle. It just tasted sour. I had expected at least some of the nutty/maple flavor to make an appearance, but nothing happened. It is interesting to note how many other reviewers have said the same thing...

Mouthfeel: How good can sour beer feel?

Drinkability: Only a few sips for this one. I will have to get another bottle and see if the results are better.

OldFrothingSlosh, Feb 10, 2003
2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

Yikes, this beer kind of tastes like a mess. Reminds me of the often dreaded Caramel Porter Saranac makes seasonally. Its just to damn sweet - the bottom line. It looks nice enough and doesnt smell too bad, but I just can't drink this one. And I can usually at least finish a bottle of anything decent. Call it a maple ale maybe, I couldn't find any brown.

tempest, Aug 20, 2006

Tommyknocker Maple Nutbrown Ale pours a finger of tan foam
over an almost opaque brown brew- though it does pass a rosy
hue held up to a light. The nose is a sour toastyness and ale yeast.
The flavor is tart acidic malt up front with no apparent hop finish. It's
only in the aftertaste that a little residual maple flavor shows up. The
mouthfeel is thin and sour. Disappointing.

shadow1961, Jul 17, 2007

Tommyknocker- Maple Nut Brown

A- Deep hazy chestnut with a nice foamy tan head.
S- Faint, barely there notes of caramel, maple, and sugary corn syrup.
T- Sweet corn syrup with hints of caramel malt and a bit of pecan?! So watery!
M- Again watery with a sugary sweet corn syrup touch. Mild dry finish.

Overall- Another Tommyknocker that fails to impress. Looks good but quickly takes a nose dive. cheap sweet corn syrupy maple syrup flavor just doesn't win me over sorry.

NJpadreFan, Sep 15, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -39%

Fuzzy dark tan. A yellowed head explodes and sticks around as a collar.
Nose of dead leaves and burnt maple, undermined by a forceful metallic astringency.
Begins mighty sweet. Candied cherries, brown sugar, and lightly toasted maple. Gains some backbone and dryness via grain and nutty hues. Sweetness lingers and the cherry hues turn slightly sour. Hopping is a nonfactor. Flavor on the whole is muted, and what's here is not very attractive.
Thin and weak bodied.
This is a chore to drink.

cokes, Sep 14, 2004
2.08/5  rDev -39%

Wow, Tommyknocker seems to believe in order to make beer, you have to add more sugar than hops. It tasted way too sweet from start to finish. Had no bitterness. Smelled very mapley. Had very fine carbonation. Thick creamy mouthfeel, which was good. Poured dark brown, almost opaque, which was good. But the important part, taste, fell way short.

mattd017, Feb 17, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -37.5%

Oy, this is a sorry excuse for a brown ale. Actually this is a sorry beer period. I look at my numbers and I feel I'm being a tad generous to the rating, but I'll leave them be. Redeeming qualities are in very short supply. Real quick: slight maple aroma nothing else, good initial pour soon becomes flat and thin, mouthfeel is awkward and light, flavor is so freaking weak and bland, overall a major bummer. Back in '97 I took my first road trip out west, we drove through Idaho Springs and boy am I glad we didn't stop if this is what passes for beer in that little mountain town. Later gnomes!

kinger, Nov 11, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -35.5%

Appearance: Beautifully clear brown. Pours a smallish head that recedes fairly quickly.

Aroma: First reaction: malt liquor -- not promising. However, it may just be the sweetness of the maple syrup. There's a bit of a malty background, but there's something off here.

Taste: Pretty bland. Sweetness from the maple syrup, but it must be of inferior quality since there's no nutty characteristics that you might associate with good maple ales. The malt liquor aspect is present in the flavour as well; not much robustness here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied.

Overall: Disappointing. Compare this to Peak Organic's The Maple Collaboration and you'd think that it's probably what would come out if they bottled the water they use to wash the mash tuns! Well, it's maybe not as bad as all that, but certainly not very impressive. I won't drink this again.

Arborescence, Apr 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -34%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Brown body, with average lacing.

S: Not much to it, a slight syrup scent but not very strong.

T: Faint maple taste mixed with an almost Worcestershire sauce taste. Not very pleasant.

M: Syrupy feel, a little bubble to it, not much.

D: Not impressed. Its better then drinking miller lite, but I wouldn't try anything else from this brewery.

BruceWineworks, Dec 08, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -34%

I can't say I agree with most of the reviews on this one ( exept jromain,Indiana ) or im just missing it but......I found this beer best after you were done with it. It does leave a maple syrup mouthfeel long after your done. For me getting done was the hard part. Sweetness? Its dark chocolate roasted malts to me were on the bitter side, almost a citrus-sour.The date was good so maybe I was expecting something more.Perhaps ill give it another try someday, but for now im glad its done, thats when its best.

chilidog, Oct 12, 2002