Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Maple Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Maple Nut Brown AleMaple Nut Brown Ale

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-27-2001

A touch of Maple Syrup is added to each barrel of our award winning Maple Nut Brown Ale to impart a roasted sweetness. This addition balances the nut flavor produced by Munich, caramel and chocolate malts used in the brewhouse, producing a drinkable brown ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maple Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros

Appears a dark amber brown hue with a thin khaki tan head forming with minimal speckled lacing. Aroma, deep sweet fruit and maple syrup notes there's not much brown ale characteristic in the smell of this brew. Fuckin' disgusting maple syrup cloyingly sweet flavor with nothing else going on this is by far one of the worst beers I've come across on the planet, it makes my gag reflux kick with instant acid reflux. This beer is terrible thn bodied artificial carbonation these people should throwin the towel and be forced to chug Canadian Breakfast Stout bombers rom Founders, as far as being drinkable that's an absolute no. Drain pour, is the only justable end to this beer as far as drinkability goes are you fuckin' kidding me.

1.06/5  rDev -68.9%

I had this many years ago and was amazed to find something worse than macro swill. Anyway years later a friend gave me a sample...still just awful.

A Look, it's brown there's an ok head here. It's nothing special.

S Honestly it smells like they just added sugar and articial maple to this thing. I'm not sure if there's beer in this glass.

T I don't see this as a brown ale. There's nothing going on here. It's syrupy and well bland. It's too sweet, it's too thin.

D well it tastes awful so good luck drinking more. It was a drain pour the first time and well I only took a small sample this time so I finished the 3-4 oz I had, but there's no way I could have made it through a bottle. It's thin enough and the alcohol doesn't kick so if you liked this you could have a few I suppose.

M I guess I should give it some credit here. If the maple flavor or whatever that off setting sweetness is doesn't get to you, you may not have an issue with the mouth feel. I don't get it. It's thin in body but somewhat sticky. Not pleasant.

There is too much flavor for a macro drinker and just bad for everyone else. I find maple a bit off in many beers but they normally have other things there and it can work darn well. This beer just doesn't do it for me.

1.62/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours a thick bodied dark opaque brown. Looks kind of like maple syrup. Thats what they call foreshadowing. Smells like Mrs. Butterworth's. There are some other nutty malty smells bubbling up in the background, but sticky-sweet atificial maple syrup taste and smell overwhelms everything else. I couldn't swallow the first sip. Some sweet mapley nutty flavors are expected in a nut brown ale, but not like this. It's so disgustingly sweet and artificial, I'm not even sure if I'm drinking beer. I swear it is brewed with high fructose corn syrup. I managed to get down about half the bottle but no more. The thick sweet body makes this undrinkable. Avoid.

1.81/5  rDev -46.9%

wow, very watery!... the dullest most boring beer in the history of ales ... at least there's no aftertaste ... hell, at least theres no aftertaste, but u need taste to get an aftertaste..one of the shadiest brown ales around .... more disappointing than constipation...

1.89/5  rDev -44.6%

Dark yet transluscent maroon colored pour with a light beige head. Oddly sweet maple smell, with a light sour vinegar smell. Not good. Taste is basically nutty, light, smooth and boring. I bought 3 other beers from this brewery and I hope this isn't their best... I really wanted to like this, and was drawn in from the bottle, but it really wasn't good. Didn't finish and wouldn't get again.

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured a dark and slightly hazy brown with a big head that faded fairly quickly leaving some descent lacing. The smell is roasted malt and chocolate with a touch of sweetness. Wow...not for me. Take this one with a grain of salt. Maybe it went bad; it is 4 months past 'due'. The mouth on this one isn't sweet at all. Instead its a biting, sharp, astringent sting. In other words, its a pour. I would have thought that would have shown in the nose.

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

Presentation: "Cartoonish" label on a 12oz. amber bottle. According to the stamping, I was supposedly enjoying this beer within the 4 month date stamped on the bottle.

Appearance: Medium-dark brown in color with a sickly head.

Smell: I suspected something was up when I smelled this. It had a sour aroma. No nut-like smells whatsoever.

Taste: The first (of only a few) sips confirmed my suspicions. I think I had a bad bottle. It just tasted sour. I had expected at least some of the nutty/maple flavor to make an appearance, but nothing happened. It is interesting to note how many other reviewers have said the same thing...

Mouthfeel: How good can sour beer feel?

Drinkability: Only a few sips for this one. I will have to get another bottle and see if the results are better.

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

Tommyknocker Maple Nutbrown Ale pours a finger of tan foam
over an almost opaque brown brew- though it does pass a rosy
hue held up to a light. The nose is a sour toastyness and ale yeast.
The flavor is tart acidic malt up front with no apparent hop finish. It's
only in the aftertaste that a little residual maple flavor shows up. The
mouthfeel is thin and sour. Disappointing.

2.08/5  rDev -39%

I think I got an old one, this did not taste anything like what I was expecting. Pours a dark brown color with a medium beige and quickly dissipating head. Next to no lacing. Aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor was just way too sour, with a touch of sweetness that could have been caramel and could have been malt. Hard to tell though as the sourness dominated. Finish was kind of flat. I'll have to try this one again some time, it just seemed off.

2.09/5  rDev -38.7%

Tommyknocker- Maple Nut Brown

A- Deep hazy chestnut with a nice foamy tan head.
S- Faint, barely there notes of caramel, maple, and sugary corn syrup.
T- Sweet corn syrup with hints of caramel malt and a bit of pecan?! So watery!
M- Again watery with a sugary sweet corn syrup touch. Mild dry finish.

Overall- Another Tommyknocker that fails to impress. Looks good but quickly takes a nose dive. cheap sweet corn syrupy maple syrup flavor just doesn't win me over sorry.

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

Wow, Tommyknocker seems to believe in order to make beer, you have to add more sugar than hops. It tasted way too sweet from start to finish. Had no bitterness. Smelled very mapley. Had very fine carbonation. Thick creamy mouthfeel, which was good. Poured dark brown, almost opaque, which was good. But the important part, taste, fell way short.

2.11/5  rDev -38.1%

Fuzzy dark tan. A yellowed head explodes and sticks around as a collar.
Nose of dead leaves and burnt maple, undermined by a forceful metallic astringency.
Begins mighty sweet. Candied cherries, brown sugar, and lightly toasted maple. Gains some backbone and dryness via grain and nutty hues. Sweetness lingers and the cherry hues turn slightly sour. Hopping is a nonfactor. Flavor on the whole is muted, and what's here is not very attractive.
Thin and weak bodied.
This is a chore to drink.

2.13/5  rDev -37.5%

Yikes, this beer kind of tastes like a mess. Reminds me of the often dreaded Caramel Porter Saranac makes seasonally. Its just to damn sweet - the bottom line. It looks nice enough and doesnt smell too bad, but I just can't drink this one. And I can usually at least finish a bottle of anything decent. Call it a maple ale maybe, I couldn't find any brown.

2.15/5  rDev -37%

Oy, this is a sorry excuse for a brown ale. Actually this is a sorry beer period. I look at my numbers and I feel I'm being a tad generous to the rating, but I'll leave them be. Redeeming qualities are in very short supply. Real quick: slight maple aroma nothing else, good initial pour soon becomes flat and thin, mouthfeel is awkward and light, flavor is so freaking weak and bland, overall a major bummer. Back in '97 I took my first road trip out west, we drove through Idaho Springs and boy am I glad we didn't stop if this is what passes for beer in that little mountain town. Later gnomes!

2.22/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance: Beautifully clear brown. Pours a smallish head that recedes fairly quickly.

Aroma: First reaction: malt liquor -- not promising. However, it may just be the sweetness of the maple syrup. There's a bit of a malty background, but there's something off here.

Taste: Pretty bland. Sweetness from the maple syrup, but it must be of inferior quality since there's no nutty characteristics that you might associate with good maple ales. The malt liquor aspect is present in the flavour as well; not much robustness here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied.

Overall: Disappointing. Compare this to Peak Organic's The Maple Collaboration and you'd think that it's probably what would come out if they bottled the water they use to wash the mash tuns! Well, it's maybe not as bad as all that, but certainly not very impressive. I won't drink this again.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

I can't say I agree with most of the reviews on this one ( exept jromain,Indiana ) or im just missing it but......I found this beer best after you were done with it. It does leave a maple syrup mouthfeel long after your done. For me getting done was the hard part. Sweetness? Its dark chocolate roasted malts to me were on the bitter side, almost a citrus-sour.The date was good so maybe I was expecting something more.Perhaps ill give it another try someday, but for now im glad its done, thats when its best.

2.26/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Brown body, with average lacing.

S: Not much to it, a slight syrup scent but not very strong.

T: Faint maple taste mixed with an almost Worcestershire sauce taste. Not very pleasant.

M: Syrupy feel, a little bubble to it, not much.

D: Not impressed. Its better then drinking miller lite, but I wouldn't try anything else from this brewery.

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Part of their mixed 6 pack. Pours out to a clear deep mahogany, forming a medium-sized light khaki head with poor retention and absent lacing. The nose is verynutty...macadamia and hazelnut at first with an odd rubbery yeasty burnt banana funk and a touch of soap and smoke. Mouthfeel is quite mild with a medium-light body. Taste is not all that good...starts with the nuts, followed by some odd amber malts, a very definite cola-like presence with a peculiar saccharin, artificial sweetness lingering on the taste-buds. Very mild bitterness and watery.

I didn't really care for TK's brews when I was in Idaho Springs, and as I work my way through this 6'er I'm already being reminded of why. Watery, soapy, wierd off-flavors. This one should be passed upon. Ugh.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

While pouring this one, I pretty much had to shake the glass and pour it from 2 feet above the air to get any sort of head. After tiring myself out doing that, I took note of the color.... brown.

I didn't get much from the nose, a bit of nuttiness and some sweet malt. I got a bit of raw meat funk...

Flavor was weak as well, not bad, but there's really not much there. Maple definitely didn't jump out at me, but I can sense the resemblance. All that seemed roasted was the finish which was slightly dry and bitter.

There was really no body whatsoever, underpowered in every way. However there was plenty of bite/carbonation ruling out what I thought could be a tainted beer. But part of me just thinks this one was supposed to be a little better than this....

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

This is very dark for a brown ale. It had a small white head that disappeared quick. It does smell good... Way better than the beer tastes. The maple aroma with the malts they use is quite pleasing. The taste is a bit watery and the maple syrup overpowers the beer in a bad way and when you mix in the fact that Tommyknocker brews have such a thin body the beer becomes almost undrinkable. I had high hopes for this brewer, but so far I am unimpressed.

2.41/5  rDev -29.3%

Picked up as a single. 12 oz bottle that gave no hiss when opened....not expecting much carb.

A: And it does. Razor thin head, but decent carb around the sides. It's a rich chocolaty brown, and by now, the head is gone. A reddish, hazy orange shines through when held up to light.

S: Not much maple, but I do think I smell some diacetyl. No hops, maybe a little malt.

T: So there's the maple, sort of. Still tasting some diacetyl, but not as much as the smell. There is malt here, and some maply aftertaste. Having worked a maple harvest though and knowing how intense the flavor CAN be, and how delicious it can be, I am still not impressed.

M: Smooth and does remind me a little of the way syrup feels when it's in a diluted, more liquid form, I'll give props there. Otherwise, nothing special.

D: just can't do it, this may end up in the drain.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Aroma is sharp and almost cheese like. Red/brown with a small fading head. Basic brown ale with a bit of woody maple sweetness. Not bad not good. Actually it leans a little toward bad just in that it kinda sits there not doing anything flavor wise except being mildly sweet and if you only have one trick...sweet isn't the one to have.

2.45/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours light brown in color with some reddish highlights. Whatever head there was on the pour is quickly gone before I find my chair. Smell is very slight. But it is some brown malts, some roast and believe it or not, there's some maple traits as well.
Taste is a very weak brown ale, with slight carbonation. Not a whole lot going on in this beer at all. Tommyknocker beers just don't do it for me. I've yet to be even mildly impressed with one. I'll just chalk it up to not being for me.

2.46/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a dark, crimson red with decent amount of head which dissipates to a thin layer of lacing on the glass.
Smells very slightly of sweet malt and, yes, maple syrup...but very hard to detect much of anything at all.
Maple syrup flavor is very subtle; I expected a much sweeter & heartier brew. Very thin on flavor which is nearly nonexistent.
A bit more drinkable as it warms, but not much. A thin brew without much character; quite disappointing.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

A shade of birch wood with a foamy head that leaves good lace and had good retention. Nothing really sticks out and says "look at me" though.

Sweet honey, maple aromas. Little floral hop attractions, and obviously a certain nutty quality. Nothing overly complex.

Well upon first drink I thought "hell this ain't that bad" but on the second drink I wonder why I bought this brew on draught. Overly maple syrupy, thick, palate coating and very cloying sweetness. Slight nut flavors but everything is just overpowered by the maple.

Maple Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery