Maple Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maple Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: brown in color, small head, clear, small carbonation

Smell: maple dominates with some nut

Taste: sweet malt to start. The maple taste comes about in the middle and finishes strong. The nut is present in the finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth, light bodied, minimal carbonation, sweet

Drinkability: This one is a favorite of mine and a guilty pleasure beer. I love how the maple just pops. It is sweet but still has the nut brown taste. I could session this one.

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Very thin head that dissipated quickly. It's definitely brown with a reddish hue when held up to the light.

S: It's very subtle, but there is a smell of malt, and I don't smell any maple. An aroma of hops is no where to be found.

T: The first tastes, as it hits my tongue, are of sweet malt and then a hint of maple towards the end. The taste of maple and malt lasts for a few seconds but it quickly disappears. I am not sensing any nutty flavor here. The taste is a bit disappointing. And, I cannot taste any hops.

M: It's smooth, but way too clean and watered down feeling for a nut brown.

D: It's finishable, but I will not be cracking open another one anytime soon. This may be one of those beers I'll give to my "non-beer" beer drinking friends.

Overall this beer wasn't horrible, but IMHO it's an average beer.

4.33/5  rDev +27%

For some reason I was in the mood for pancakes with dinner, this had the flavor to appease my need.
It's a pretty medium brown beer with a small amount of tan head. Low carbonation. The aroma is slightly nutty with sweet malts. The taste is a bit nutty at first then the maple kicks in after a few seconds. The maple is not overpowering, it's very nice. The finish is very smooth. The body was about perfect for a brown. This is definitely a repeat buy.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

While pouring this one, I pretty much had to shake the glass and pour it from 2 feet above the air to get any sort of head. After tiring myself out doing that, I took note of the color.... brown.

I didn't get much from the nose, a bit of nuttiness and some sweet malt. I got a bit of raw meat funk...

Flavor was weak as well, not bad, but there's really not much there. Maple definitely didn't jump out at me, but I can sense the resemblance. All that seemed roasted was the finish which was slightly dry and bitter.

There was really no body whatsoever, underpowered in every way. However there was plenty of bite/carbonation ruling out what I thought could be a tainted beer. But part of me just thinks this one was supposed to be a little better than this....

3.01/5  rDev -11.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Piraat glass.

Pours a dark reddish-brown with a light lacing on top. Looks like there is very little carbonation in the beer.

Smells slightly metallic, salty, hints of cinnamon, beets, brown sugar, salt.

Taste is sweet...definite maple notes. Actually, tastes like I'm drinking some watered down maple syrup. Hmmmm...tobacco-like flavors, cream, chocolate, pancakes, waffles, sausage soaked in syrup. Hazelnut, almond, perhaps. Some bitter notes on the back end, but mostly very sweet overall.

This is an interesting beer, to say the least. It has the characteristics of a good nut brown, but maybe tries to go too far by adding the maple syrup...it tastes too much like syrup, and not enough of the brown malty flavor comes through.

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Clear Chestnut brown color with a thin off-white head that vanishes quickly.

The aroma is all sweet caramel malt with a hint of hazelnut.

The taste is also primarily sweet caramel malt but now with hints of maple syrup as well as the nuttiness. The finish is sweet with maple notes and just a hint of floral hops to take some edge off of the sweetness. Some traces of smoky toasted malt as well. A bit sweet overall, but not unbearable, nice for a cool fall drink.

Light/medium bodied, smooth and easy to drink.

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A very dark brown colored body, small off-white head. Aroma smells of roast malts and maple syrup. Taste has a lot roast and chocolate flavors, hints of maple syrup but not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is nice, you can definitely feel slight syrup thickness. Drinkability is good, not too heavy, a little light on the ABV for my taste, but good. Some head retention and slight lacing.

Overall this is a good beer. I havn't too many eye-opening nut brown ales, but this one is interesting. I love the maple syrup they add, and the fact that its not overwhelming or too faint. Kinda expensive, but I liked this one.

2.41/5  rDev -29.3%

Picked up as a single. 12 oz bottle that gave no hiss when opened....not expecting much carb.

A: And it does. Razor thin head, but decent carb around the sides. It's a rich chocolaty brown, and by now, the head is gone. A reddish, hazy orange shines through when held up to light.

S: Not much maple, but I do think I smell some diacetyl. No hops, maybe a little malt.

T: So there's the maple, sort of. Still tasting some diacetyl, but not as much as the smell. There is malt here, and some maply aftertaste. Having worked a maple harvest though and knowing how intense the flavor CAN be, and how delicious it can be, I am still not impressed.

M: Smooth and does remind me a little of the way syrup feels when it's in a diluted, more liquid form, I'll give props there. Otherwise, nothing special.

D: just can't do it, this may end up in the drain.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

Off the pour the beer is a nice brownish garnet color and fairly clear. It poured a small khaki color head, the head was persistent but disappeared a quarter way through the pint. The aroma is of sweet caramel and some maple, the aroma really suggests that this will be a sweet beer. There is not much in the way of hops in the aroma at all. There is a slight nuttiness to the beer as well, which is better suited to the Northern English variety.

The flavor is rich and sweet, as I expected. It is just a bit too sweet. There is a deeply intense flavor of caramel and maple with some nutty character to it. It is almost too much because the sweetness sticks on your tongue for a while after you drink it. The hop bitterness is medium, with just enough punch to keep the beer from being overly cloying. But tone down the hops any more and you would feel like you would be drinking liquid candy in my opinion. Still there is a toasty pleasant quality to the beer that makes this feel like a cool spring campfire beer. But since it is warm and muggy right now, I am not very turned on by this one, which is something I should overlook for now. The mouthfeel is medium/full with a low level of carbonation, which adds to the syrupy feel. For an American Brown the hop presence is to low. The bitterness in the American brown should be substantial in comparison to this beer. In here, the hops can way to easily go unnoticed if you don't fully realize how sweet this beer would appear to be without the hops.

It is a good solid tasting beer, but even on a cool spring night, you wouldn't probably drink more than 2 of these. The flavor of maple and caramel is nice at first, but you get tired of it by the end of the glass and are looking for something a bit different.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

The color is brown with red hues and coppery-reddish highlights. A foamy little head pours off-white and leaves a little sticky lacing in light patches.
The aroma is a backbone of taosted malts with very light hops presence with nutty and maple smells in the nose.
The flavor is straightforward and to par with the aroma. I found it not overdone, with a nice sweetness that can easily be too much, especially for one who tends not to be a sipper. The very minimal hops presence takes a bit away, as the malt easily dominates.
The mouthfeel is decently thick and quite rich and the body is medium. Carbonation is also quite light.
This one depends on the individual's tolerance for sweetness, but is pretty good. You'll find nut browns with better balance, etc., but this one deserves a chance as well.

3.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My wife just brought me this beer in a pint glass. There's no head at all but perhaps I should blame her for that. She was nice enough to buy it at Kroger for me when I asked her to get me something other than Miller Lite. Other than the lack of head it's dark ruby brown and hard to see through. Smells sweet and malty like maple syrup and plums. Tastes much the same way it smells. Malty, maple sweet, and no bitterness. I'm used to ales having some hoppy charachteristics but there are none with this beer. Mouthfeel is a touch heavier than water with little carbonation. A little creamy... Maybe. I can't see myself drinking too many of these in any quantity. OK beer. Nothing great.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A novelty beer.

If you're the kind of person who could sit down and just start drinking maple syrup out of a jug, then... go drink maple syrup out of a jug and get a better beer.

A= dense maple-syrup colored with little head, some mild lacing.

S= difficult to find much of any scent until it starts to warm, then nice floral hops, malts, sweetness (not sure if from the malts or just the "real maple syrup").

T= too too much "real maple syrup" for me-- almost nauseating. Nice malts evident (and the only reason I give the Taste rating anything above 2.5). Very little hops bitters although some florals.

M= flat and dry on the tongue.

D= my goal is to finish just this first bottle.

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer pours a clear brownish amber color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of caramel and toffee, and is rather simple. The taste is a lot more prominent than the aroma. There is a nice balance between the maple flavor and the malty toffee and caramel flavors. The mouthfeel is quite thin for the style, and the texture is watery. Overall, this beer is very odd in that is has some aspects that are very good, and others that are very poor. I wish it had some maple in the nose, and fuller body. As is though I can't see myself drinking it again.

3.27/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Pours a dark brown with very little head formation.

S - Some roasted malt, sweetness from maple syrup.

T - Sweet up front from the syrup. Malt comes through next and has a nutty taste. Finishes with very little bitterness. Overall, the falvors do not work very well together.

M - Very thin and watery.

D - Although the taste is not the best, these is fairly easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard shaker "pint" glass. Appears a clear medium brown color with two fingers of light tan foam. No lacing to speak of. Smells and tastes of light roasted grains, brown sugar, nuts such as pecans and hazelnuts, maple syrup, a hint of bitter coffee and chocolate malt. This brown ale is medium bodied and amply carbonated. Decent stuff.

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz bottle into a Bud pint glass. Very little head, even for my smooth pour. I was told by a friend this was a great beer, tasty and very smooth. Smooth it is, tasty depends on one's particular taste.

Pours a nice dark mahogany color and smells primarily of maple. Anyone who says the maple smell/taste is subtle is either a smoker with diminished senses or just lying to you. This is a malty brew with very little hops to speak of. I prefer malty over hoppy but the strong maple taste of this beer is throwing me off. Mouthfeel is about right for a Brown Ale and the carbonation is good but I can't get over the strong maple taste. It's not a bad taste at all, but very disconcerting if you were expecting a standard brown ale.

I have 5 more to drink and I know I'll get through it but this beer tastes too much like maple for me to buy a 6pk of again. If I want this much maple syrup I'll call Aunt Jamima or go to IHOP, it's just that strong a maple taste. YMMV

2.46/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a dark, crimson red with decent amount of head which dissipates to a thin layer of lacing on the glass.
Smells very slightly of sweet malt and, yes, maple syrup...but very hard to detect much of anything at all.
Maple syrup flavor is very subtle; I expected a much sweeter & heartier brew. Very thin on flavor which is nearly nonexistent.
A bit more drinkable as it warms, but not much. A thin brew without much character; quite disappointing.

2.45/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours light brown in color with some reddish highlights. Whatever head there was on the pour is quickly gone before I find my chair. Smell is very slight. But it is some brown malts, some roast and believe it or not, there's some maple traits as well.
Taste is a very weak brown ale, with slight carbonation. Not a whole lot going on in this beer at all. Tommyknocker beers just don't do it for me. I've yet to be even mildly impressed with one. I'll just chalk it up to not being for me.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark maple color with a thin layer of tan head.

Smells heavily of maple and bready malts

The taste is much better than I expected, the maple notes were there but they took a back seat to the bready malts and bitter hops. The finish is toasted biscuit. Superb flavor.

The mouthfeel is a little thick and vaguely creamy, goes down with an oily finish. The carbonation is present but not overbearing.

This was the last beer I had from the Tommyknocker variety sixer, three of the six were great beers. Glad to have tried these.

4.12/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a clear, dark amber color with some lighter amber hues along the edges of the glass. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells strongly of roasted malt up front, even strong hints of coffee, and some slight cream sweetness. Fits the style of an American Brown Ale. Mouth feel is really smooth and slightly chewy with an average carbonation level. Tastes very sweet first, then the roasted malts come through, then some coffee notes and some sweet malt, decent hop background, and it finishes with a blend of flavors that is really pleasing. Overall, this is a great beer full of flavors and really easy to drink, can't understand why it's rated so low!

2.56/5  rDev -24.9%

Reviewed 8/28/2008 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown, caramely colored body, with a creamy, nearly-white head, lasting. Very malty Aroma, some dust, some dark sugar, maple I'd say. Dusty watery taste, some maple. A little nuttiness. Weak & almost headache inducing.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very dark amber. Pours almost no head and what little there was quickly shrank to a very thin coating with no lacing.

S - Can smell some roasted nuts (hazelnuts to be specific). The maple smells like maple syrup.

T - The maple comes right up front. Doesn't taste like the fake maple syrup but more like real maple. Also toasted malt comes into play. The nut flavor is more in the background now.

M - Slightly sticky from the maple but still finishes clean. More of a beer to have after a meal due to the sweetness.

D - Sweet and tasty. Easy to drink. I haven't had this beer in sometime and I don't know why I stopped getting it. Very good.

3.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear dark copper color. Poured a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated to a thick skim. Sticky lace all the way down.

S: Dominated by sweetness or hazelnut and maple syrup and bready malt. Light bitter in the end.

T: Maple much more predonimant in taste. Still the bready malt in the foundation. Bitter hop finish is very mild.

M: Light body. Nicely balanced carbonation. Nice flavorful beer that feels smooth yet clean.

D: Light and sweet without diminishing in drinkability.

3.01/5  rDev -11.7%

Aroma: Light fruity and carmel notes, nutty, mild and dry roasty overtones. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Clear leather brown pour with a sudsy tan/off-white cap.

Flavor: Mild nutty and biscuity malt base. Earthy and slightly spicy hop bitterness to offset the nutty maltiness. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with high carbonation. Carbonic bite is sharp and acidic.

Overall impression: A mostly forgettable American Brown. Very middle of the road. Nothing exciting but not terrible.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

In a goblet:

Brown with a touch of ruby with a quickly dissipating head. Tons of maple in the nose, with some molasses and vanilla as well. I was shocked to find the maple is actually done very, very well in the taste. Not too much, just right. A little orange in there too. A little too malty overall, even for the style... but much better than I anticipated. Good carb, a little lighter body than I'd expect. Highly sessionable.

Overall: It seems I might have a higher opinion of this brew than most. I went into this expecting to be inundated with maple, but it's really quite subtle. I recommend giving it a try.

Maple Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery