Maple Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maple Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros

Poured a dark brown to dark copper color. There is little to no head. I was kinda excited about this beer and so far, so good. The aroma is sweet. Scent of roaster nuts as well as chocolate. Very sweet and very malty as expected. The flavor didn't give me what I was looking for. Maybe thats my fault. Too little of everything. I expected powerful malts, roasted nuts and nice chocolate taste. I got a little roasted malts and a little hint of others. The finish is plain and boring.

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Poured out a dark brown color with no head and no lacing.

S - It smelled of maple. There was a sugary sweet aroma. A nutty smell, too.

T - It tasted of maple and nut. Also, a roasted malt flavor.

M - It was soft and creamy. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This was my first from Tommyknocker. It was good, but nothing too impressive. I'm looking forward to trying the ButtHead and Pick Axe.

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Ommegang chalice. Beer was amber in color with a two finger, creamy, off-white head. Nice lacing around the glass.

Aroma was faint, but I picked up on caramel, nuts, honey and light malt.

Taste was nutty and sweet. Very light hop bitterness. Not really much going on with this beer. Pretty plain.

1.89/5  rDev -44.6%

Dark yet transluscent maroon colored pour with a light beige head. Oddly sweet maple smell, with a light sour vinegar smell. Not good. Taste is basically nutty, light, smooth and boring. I bought 3 other beers from this brewery and I hope this isn't their best... I really wanted to like this, and was drawn in from the bottle, but it really wasn't good. Didn't finish and wouldn't get again.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this one.

Pours a reddish medium brown with just a few stray bubbles rising to the top and about a finger or a bit more of light beige head. Head retention is ok leaving a thin lace and some stick on the sides.

Smells like a typical nut brown ale, as it's slightly bready with some caramel malt sweetness and nutty aromas. I don't pick up the maple, but there is a subtle fruitiness there too.

Taste is nutty with some caramel malt sweetness, and then midway through some maple sweetness comes into play. There's a bready, grainy base as well, and again some fruitiness like the nose.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly chalky and the carbonation is maybe a bit more aggressive than I'd like.

This is not a bad brew at all. Pretty solid nut brown with some good flavor and sweetness to it.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, enjoy within 4 months of notched date (Nov 07) notched into the label, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown color, some carbonation rising inside. The head formed small and stayed that way, decent retention.

Aroma: Toasted and roasted malts along with maple syrup. Not too strong, but decent.

Taste: Toasted malts along with some maple flavors up front. There's a slight hoppy bitterness that comes through in the middle, but remains in the background. The finish is a mixture of roasted malts and maple syrup, with the maple lingering nicely.

Mouthfeel: On the light side of medium bodied, and fairly smooth. the carbonation was a little light, I'd have liked more.

Overall: Decent, nothing special though. I liked it enough but there are much better brown ales to be had.

3.41/5  rDev 0%

Part of a Trail Mix 6 pack.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The beer is brown in color with a one inch brownish head forming on the pour. Head fades to a good cover and leaves some layers of lacing.

Smell: Like the other Tommyknocker beers I have had this is a little light in the scent department. Some maple syrup with a touch of roasted malts which I suppose it is ok for an English Brown (for me an American Brown has a somewhat strong scent of roasted malt). Decent, if a bit subdued.

Taste: Hop lovers need not try. Nothing bitter here. A little sweet (I assume due in part to the syrup), with a touch of roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and slick going down. The beer is medium in body with good carbonation.

Drinkability: An easy drinking beer, I like the one I had, but this beer is just not a wow beer. Would I buy another? Maybe. I probably would try this on tap, but a whole six pack? I'm not so sure.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Clear, reddish brown in hue, almost ruby when backlit with a beige head. At the apex the foam was a half finger tall, good head retention as the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap and then a skimpy collar. Noteworthy but not widespread subsequent lacing. Overall, the appearance is respectable and typical of the style (and brewery).

Maple syrup in the nose is very noticeable… I like it! I want pancakes now! I wonder if this beer could be used for batter instead of water. Anyway, the brown ale qualities are neither nutty nor roasty; I find them tame and sort of English in ancestry. Minimal fruitiness. Beyond the maple aromas only a general “beeriness” exists. Moderate potency… inviting for a one trick pony but not impressive by any means.

The brown ale base is quite simplistic, IMO. Aside from the maple upfront and the “freezer burn” taste at the finish not much is going on aside from some hints of chocolate. I like the start, get bored in the middle and become distracted and indifferent by the end. Light sweetness, matly with maple syrup aftertaste. The flavor profile is better than ordinary and I can see why it is so popular… even though it doesn’t do much for me.

Medium/medium-light in body, low carbonation, the mouthfeel is average and a bit thin for my liking.

IMO, this beer is a novelty. If I want a brown ale, I’ll drink Moose Drool. If I want a maple brown something I am going straight for the TK Imperial Nut Brown. While this standard version is good it isn’t special enough or frankly rich enough for me to want to drink again. Would I turn down a free pint? No. Would I buy one? Maybe. Will I seek this out? No. Purchased in Omaha.

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a deep brown with a slight amber hue and a thin, creamy, off-white cap. The smell is underwhelming, maple syrup not really apparent but it is malty sweet, a bit nutty and slightly roasted. The taste is much the same, tastes like a nut brown ale. Starts with a malty nutty presence and finishes with an off taste that isn't very enjoyable. There is also just a hint of hops. The mouthfeel is lighter than I had expected, maybe a medium-light body with a decent carbonation. A drinkable beer but this one falls short of my expectations.

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%

This is a very nice drinkable beer. The color was the color of maple syrup (surprise) with a nice cap of bubbles.

The nose was a little underwhelming, I was expecting a little more but it was pleasant once I found it. Maple? Didn’t really smell it.

Taking a sip I was expecting more maple I guess. After all Maple is ON the lable but was not really tasted until the very end as it was washing down the throat. The overall taste was more nutty actually.

Medium to light medium body which was sad.

Overall I liked the beer but it was more of a drinking beer as opposed to a tasting beer . . . .if that makes any sense.

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap in a pint glass at 69 taps Akron OH

A - Medium brown with not much head. The bartenders poured the beer to the top of the glass not leaving much room for head. It's ashame they didn't know anything about beer, although they were cute.

S - Sweet caramel scent.

T - Sweet with a malty nutty flavor.

M - Good carbonation with a maple flavor finish.

D - Good beer that's easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz brown bottle.
Almost opaque deep ruby and mahogany body. Creamy tan head of tiny to medium bubbles. Decent retention but not alot of lace.
Nutty earth brown scent with some mild but sharp hop notes.
Pleasant taste of malty nuts and maple. Mild shortlived aftertaste pretty much the same as the initial flavor.
Smooth and rounded medium to full body. Good coating and slick.
Very drinkable, malty and easy to enjoy.

-Oelergud

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A good apperance, pours dark with a mahogony brown two finger head

S- Smells of hops and a distince maple flavor.

T- Decent taste to it, maple dominance with a slight hint of nuts.

M- Okay mouthfeel, slight kick at the end.

D- Seemed a little too sweet, but that's prolly just my taste in beer, I wouldn't have it again.

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A – Poured a nice medium brown, somewhat hazelnut in color with a nice two finger head of tan lace on the top. Decent retention kept the head around for a while until it finally settled down on a thin film across the top. Fairly clear as I really detected no hazy or cloudiness apparent. Some carbonation was visible streaming up from the bottom.

S – The aroma was very sweet. Lots of sugar and caramel were present and these were mixed in among a nice solid roasted malt back. Apparent nuttiness started to present itself as it warmed a little bit and the sweetness started to become more pronounced.

T – The flavor was a bit tricky. To be honest it was not that pleasant. Far too sweet for me and I normally like the flavors. The maple sugar was just overpowering and quite harsh. There was a delicate roasted nut flavor in the back that was trying to come out, however it was pushed to the side by this harsh biting flavor of sharp maple. There really is no good way to describe it, other then just a harsh biting, sugary mess. There were traces of metallic tones as well, and these just added to the harshness.

M – The feel on this one came off somewhat thin and lifeless. I though the carbonation seemed adequate, but it really started to fall pretty flat in a hurry. The thinness and slickness of it as well just really seemed to put you off after a while. Even the finish was somewhat slick.

D – Not very good, at least not for me. It was just soo sweet; I literally just gulped it down to avoid the drain pour. I would not be getting this one again.

Overall I thought this would be nice as I am a fan of the brown ale and sweetness has never seemed to bother me; however they were just used in the wrong proportions here. Way overboard on the sweetness it just really became kind of messy. I will not be pursuing this one again.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured with a dark brown, with red highlights. Nice two finger head that fell quickly leaving a small amount of lace

S - You could smell the maple syrup smell in there along with a hop flavor, maybe cascade

T - A nice flavor for a brown and very much in the style, the maple in there gives it a bit of a different flavor that was good, a nice hop finish

M - A bit oily and light, a little under carbonated I thought

D - Overall I probably wouldn't seek this out all the time, but it was good for a pint and I'd have some again

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Part of their mixed 6 pack. Pours out to a clear deep mahogany, forming a medium-sized light khaki head with poor retention and absent lacing. The nose is verynutty...macadamia and hazelnut at first with an odd rubbery yeasty burnt banana funk and a touch of soap and smoke. Mouthfeel is quite mild with a medium-light body. Taste is not all that good...starts with the nuts, followed by some odd amber malts, a very definite cola-like presence with a peculiar saccharin, artificial sweetness lingering on the taste-buds. Very mild bitterness and watery.

I didn't really care for TK's brews when I was in Idaho Springs, and as I work my way through this 6'er I'm already being reminded of why. Watery, soapy, wierd off-flavors. This one should be passed upon. Ugh.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tumbler.
Bottled on 05.2007.

Deep maple with a hue of mahogany. Carbonated, off-white head that evaporates practically on impact leaving barely a whispy sheet. Thin and spotted lacing with surprising durability.

Mild, musty rich aromatics: milk chocolate, caramel. Dried hazlenut and almond. A touch of maple and vanilla. Rather airy and mild in fragrance.

Dried, toasted hazlenut with a light toffee flavor as well. Semi-sweet maple and honey over a bland floral hop character. Airy, malt biscuit in the middle followed by the lingering maple sweetness and orange peel.

Medium bodied; a bit watery, but smooth. A lingering dryness which is almost chalky.

A bland and mild English Brown, whose flavor seems to have no direction. Not worth sampling.

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap poured into a mug

A- Deep brown color with very little head (maybe due to the delivery system or pour so I won't hold it against the beer). There was some lacing and light carbonation.

S- Nice roasty nutty scents. A bit sweet.

T- Good nutty flavor with a hint of the maple tones. The sweetness isn't overpowering.

M- Good mouthfeel. Smooth, but present enough to know that you're drinking a solid beer.

D- Very easy drinker. I had a couple of mugs at the pub and probably could have put back a few more if I was out for a later night.

Overall- A good drinkable brown ale. It isn't as flavorful as some on the market, but it's a great beer on an early fall night when you're looking at drinking more than one. I'd drink it again.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with bottling info on back label into a pint glass. It was a deep brownish amber color. It had a good head that settled to a thin coating with some lacing. The aroma was toasted malt with maple overtones. The taste was good - malty backbone with a sweet finish. Unlike the honey flavored beers, this maple one gets the right amount of sweetness with being too cloying. I've had this on tap at the brewery and it's a little better on tap but still good in the bottle. Overall it's a good but not great beer and I enjoy it as a good change-up session beer. Glad to see them back in Texas after leaving due to distributor issues. (3.5, OR, T, Y)

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber color with an off-white head. Aromas that consist of maple syrup and brown sugar. In the taste, sweet and a dry maple syrup flavor. A smooth dry mouthfeel with a sweet/ sticky maple syrup aftertaste. Sweet and dry in all the right places, easy to drink and better as it warms up.

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured a dark and slightly hazy brown with a big head that faded fairly quickly leaving some descent lacing. The smell is roasted malt and chocolate with a touch of sweetness. Wow...not for me. Take this one with a grain of salt. Maybe it went bad; it is 4 months past 'due'. The mouth on this one isn't sweet at all. Instead its a biting, sharp, astringent sting. In other words, its a pour. I would have thought that would have shown in the nose.

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

This beer started off better then it ended. Everything to the eye looked good. Dark brown color like the color of wood. The smell was not bad. It had a sweet honey smell and kind of a caramel burnt sugar smell. It tastes very malty and thick like molasses. Its not to bad up front but the sugar just becomes to much after a few drinks. I might have to check my self for diabetes after this. The maple and nut brown flavors are all there but they taste too sweet and artificial to me. Not a huge fan but it might be a good beginner beer.

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Tried this on-tap at Bodega in Columbus, Ohio. Poured reddish maple syrup color with a thin white head. Not a lot of retention. Smells and tastes were a little weak, but appropriate for a brown ale: nuts, maple syrup, bit of lightly toasted grained. Not much of a finish. A little watery on the mouthfeel. Overall, an easily drinkable session beer. Not a whole lot of astonishing character, but pleasant to drink nonetheless.

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep brown, medium tan head.

S: Caramel, chocolate, nuts and grain

T: Sweeter than anticipated with mostly brown sugar and maple.

M: Interesting! Fine, fizzy bubbles. And a syrupy finish.

D: Oh man, I can't do more than one. It was too far out of my wheelhouse to truly enjoy. I have a sweet-tooth, but not when it comes to beer.

This was a strange brew that (oddly enough) reminded me of grape soda.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: deep garnet, very clear, good-sized head with poor retention and little lacing. nice color.

Smell: sweet, molasses, just a hint of maple.

Taste: Pretty sweet, with mostly malt, molasses and slight coffee. Maple shows up more in the finish than anything else, along with a hint of pancake breadiness. Very little hops - the sweetness is balanced by carbonation more so than bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Pretty good.