Maple Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maple Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -34%

I can't say I agree with most of the reviews on this one ( exept jromain,Indiana ) or im just missing it but......I found this beer best after you were done with it. It does leave a maple syrup mouthfeel long after your done. For me getting done was the hard part. Sweetness? Its dark chocolate roasted malts to me were on the bitter side, almost a citrus-sour.The date was good so maybe I was expecting something more.Perhaps ill give it another try someday, but for now im glad its done, thats when its best.

2.26/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Brown body, with average lacing.

S: Not much to it, a slight syrup scent but not very strong.

T: Faint maple taste mixed with an almost Worcestershire sauce taste. Not very pleasant.

M: Syrupy feel, a little bubble to it, not much.

D: Not impressed. Its better then drinking miller lite, but I wouldn't try anything else from this brewery.

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Part of their mixed 6 pack. Pours out to a clear deep mahogany, forming a medium-sized light khaki head with poor retention and absent lacing. The nose is verynutty...macadamia and hazelnut at first with an odd rubbery yeasty burnt banana funk and a touch of soap and smoke. Mouthfeel is quite mild with a medium-light body. Taste is not all that good...starts with the nuts, followed by some odd amber malts, a very definite cola-like presence with a peculiar saccharin, artificial sweetness lingering on the taste-buds. Very mild bitterness and watery.

I didn't really care for TK's brews when I was in Idaho Springs, and as I work my way through this 6'er I'm already being reminded of why. Watery, soapy, wierd off-flavors. This one should be passed upon. Ugh.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

While pouring this one, I pretty much had to shake the glass and pour it from 2 feet above the air to get any sort of head. After tiring myself out doing that, I took note of the color.... brown.

I didn't get much from the nose, a bit of nuttiness and some sweet malt. I got a bit of raw meat funk...

Flavor was weak as well, not bad, but there's really not much there. Maple definitely didn't jump out at me, but I can sense the resemblance. All that seemed roasted was the finish which was slightly dry and bitter.

There was really no body whatsoever, underpowered in every way. However there was plenty of bite/carbonation ruling out what I thought could be a tainted beer. But part of me just thinks this one was supposed to be a little better than this....

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

This is very dark for a brown ale. It had a small white head that disappeared quick. It does smell good... Way better than the beer tastes. The maple aroma with the malts they use is quite pleasing. The taste is a bit watery and the maple syrup overpowers the beer in a bad way and when you mix in the fact that Tommyknocker brews have such a thin body the beer becomes almost undrinkable. I had high hopes for this brewer, but so far I am unimpressed.

2.41/5  rDev -29.3%

Picked up as a single. 12 oz bottle that gave no hiss when opened....not expecting much carb.

A: And it does. Razor thin head, but decent carb around the sides. It's a rich chocolaty brown, and by now, the head is gone. A reddish, hazy orange shines through when held up to light.

S: Not much maple, but I do think I smell some diacetyl. No hops, maybe a little malt.

T: So there's the maple, sort of. Still tasting some diacetyl, but not as much as the smell. There is malt here, and some maply aftertaste. Having worked a maple harvest though and knowing how intense the flavor CAN be, and how delicious it can be, I am still not impressed.

M: Smooth and does remind me a little of the way syrup feels when it's in a diluted, more liquid form, I'll give props there. Otherwise, nothing special.

D: just can't do it, this may end up in the drain.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Aroma is sharp and almost cheese like. Red/brown with a small fading head. Basic brown ale with a bit of woody maple sweetness. Not bad not good. Actually it leans a little toward bad just in that it kinda sits there not doing anything flavor wise except being mildly sweet and if you only have one trick...sweet isn't the one to have.

2.45/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours light brown in color with some reddish highlights. Whatever head there was on the pour is quickly gone before I find my chair. Smell is very slight. But it is some brown malts, some roast and believe it or not, there's some maple traits as well.
Taste is a very weak brown ale, with slight carbonation. Not a whole lot going on in this beer at all. Tommyknocker beers just don't do it for me. I've yet to be even mildly impressed with one. I'll just chalk it up to not being for me.

2.46/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a dark, crimson red with decent amount of head which dissipates to a thin layer of lacing on the glass.
Smells very slightly of sweet malt and, yes, maple syrup...but very hard to detect much of anything at all.
Maple syrup flavor is very subtle; I expected a much sweeter & heartier brew. Very thin on flavor which is nearly nonexistent.
A bit more drinkable as it warms, but not much. A thin brew without much character; quite disappointing.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

A shade of birch wood with a foamy head that leaves good lace and had good retention. Nothing really sticks out and says "look at me" though.

Sweet honey, maple aromas. Little floral hop attractions, and obviously a certain nutty quality. Nothing overly complex.

Well upon first drink I thought "hell this ain't that bad" but on the second drink I wonder why I bought this brew on draught. Overly maple syrupy, thick, palate coating and very cloying sweetness. Slight nut flavors but everything is just overpowered by the maple.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

12oz, part of the Mother Load sampler pack. For brewery fresh taste, enjoy within 4 months of date notched. Notched 05 July 06. Drank on 8/15/06.
Pours a hazy red color with a thick head of large bubbles. Aroma is woody, lots of toasted grain. Possibly a lot of biscuit malt. Taste is odd… almost a tart flavor. Nothing like expected. The only other time I have had this flavor is in a homebrew batch with over stressed wheat yeast and caramunich malt. I would think anyone expecting any maple flavor would be very disappointed with this one. Not even close to a nut brown IMO. Not a drain pour, but style wise this bottle was way off. Second bottle was more of the same. Nothing even remotely like maple syrup or a nut brown ale. Infection?

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Looks decent; it actually looks a lot like pure maple syrup in color.

Smell is pretty potent sweetness, with a lot of maple pushing through. Not much else, but as advertised, and the maple aroma is really clean.

The taste is mildly maple syrup, with a little bit of related sweetness. There isn't a lot of complexity here, unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is where this beer starts to fall short. It's seriously thin for a beer based off of the thickest condiment known to man. If they beefed it up a bit, we might have something here.

Drinkability is pretty low, considering that I drain-poured about half of each bottle. It's just too one-dimensional and thin to really devote much time to.

Maple Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery