Green Chile Lager - Tommyknocker Brewery

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: memphischas on 07-16-2014

A blend of hot and mild Anaheim chiles infused in a refreshing light lager. A pleasant spicy bite makes for a delicious palette pleaser.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by Oakenator:
4/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

3.2/5  rDev n/a

3.81/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not very spicy but good taste. Does have a good hint of chile in it and smooth as well (86 characters)

3.05/5  rDev n/a

Quite an interesting beer. Smell is very strong of chile's. Color is a solid golden. It drinks smooth and goes down smooth as well. Main reason I rated it a 3 on almost everything is because it is a very particular beer. Very unlike the other beers I have had brewed with peppers (Cigar City Lips Of Faith and Breckenridge Chile Porter). It tastes heavily of peppers but has little to no throat burn like the others. Not a bad beer per se, just not my flavor. Interesting indeed and well worth the try Tommyknockers is an awesome brewery and place. (548 characters)

3.47/5  rDev n/a
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev n/a

3.75/5  rDev n/a

My go-to bottle shop is The Friendly Greek, where they will put almost anything in the cooler as a single just so that I can try it and report out and back. This is yet another such beer.

From the bottle: “A blend of Hot and Mild Anaheim Chiles infused in a refreshing Lager”; “Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer”; “Tommyknocker has been creating quality Lagers & Ales in the Colorado Rocky Mountains since 1994”; “Tommyknocker Legend [:] Tommyknockers slipped into the mining camps of Idaho Springs in the 1800’s with the discovery of gold in our mountains and streams. These mischievous elves, though hardly ever seen, were often heard singing and working. They guided many fortunate miners from harm’s way and to the gold they sought.”

Once I Pop!ped the cap, I was interested in guiding the beer from its bottle and into a glass. The merest pour, however, unleashed an avalanche of foam and so only the gentlest of pours was possible. The process was slow going as a result. I finally ended up with a manageable two-plus fingers of rocky, fizzy, eggshell-white head with moderate retention. Color was a slightly hazy yellow-gold (SRM = 4 -5) with some floaties in evidence. Nose was of chile peppers, but not in a disconcerting way. They reminded me of cooking with peppers, especially in omelets. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was definitely of peppers, but in a low-heat way. I was really girding myself for something out of control, like I heard about Stone’s Crime & Punishment, but this was pleasant and drinkable. It did need something to go with it, though, like cheese and crackers or pretzels or simply something to munch on. I just felt like it was not meant to be drank by itself. Relatively low (5.3%) ABV, 27 IBUs, no mention of Scovill units, but I would imagine fairly low, also. The problem for me was that it seemed to cry out for some sort of accompaniment. One bottle, no problem, but more than that and I would be ready to move on. Finish left a light, tingling heat on my tongue and in the back of my throat, but I would be laughed at for telling anyone. It wasn’t THAT hot. (2,135 characters)

3.7/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark straw in color. The nose has a definite essence of chili pepper but nothing overwhelming. The flavor profile also has a touch of heat but that heat never becomes obtrusive.

When i comes to certain flavored beers, I definitely enjoy intensity (e.g. chocolate and coffee). However, when it comes to chili peppers, subtlety is welcome. This offering is subtle enough to be enjoyable. (390 characters)

3.81/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev n/a

4.13/5  rDev n/a

3.74/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first chili beer!

A: 3.25 - Thin white head with a lot of bubbles floating to the top. Yellowy-tan color, you can see right through it.

S: 4 - Awesome smell! There is a lot of chili right off the bat. A little malt. Makes me want some tamales!

T: 3.5 - The chili pepper is very present. It's not spicy at all, there is no throat burn; just a nice chili flavor. I was hoping for at least a little kick in the throat, though.

M: 3 - Pretty average. Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: 3.75 - Overall I enjoyed the beer. I went in hoping for a nice chili presence and it did not disappoint. It's nothing to write home about, but it's a nice, unique beer nonetheless. Cool stuff. (700 characters)

3.34/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Minimal head and lacing but some residual bubbles. My nose isn't very sophisticated, but hello! Green chiles. A strong green chile taste too, not hot and spicy, just the mild poblano kind. Light mouthfeel. Overall, as with most beers infused with fruit or veggies, I have to wrap my head around the different taste and accept it for what it is. Different. (426 characters)

3.49/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chile beer, it has a place in my life, at least it is original. I like it. (74 characters)

2.93/5  rDev n/a

A- slightly darker then a light beer. A dark golding yellow. I didn't get any head or lacing.
S- smells of green peppers and some oregano hints. Also reminds me or nachos.
T- not big on this. You can definitely taste the peppers and greenery. But tastes like beer and nachos.
M- nothing special. Like your average beer.
O- I think this needs more heat. There only pepper flavor which tastes like nachos. The chips and the jalapeños. Not for me. (452 characters)

3.45/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Green Chile Lager from Tommyknocker Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.