Green Chile Lager - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: memphischas on 07-16-2014)
Reviews by Oakenator:

Oakenator, Aug 03, 2014

LXIXME, Aug 24, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -14.1%

Quite an interesting beer. Smell is very strong of chile's. Color is a solid golden. It drinks smooth and goes down smooth as well. Main reason I rated it a 3 on almost everything is because it is a very particular beer. Very unlike the other beers I have had brewed with peppers (Cigar City Lips Of Faith and Breckenridge Chile Porter). It tastes heavily of peppers but has little to no throat burn like the others. Not a bad beer per se, just not my flavor. Interesting indeed and well worth the try Tommyknockers is an awesome brewery and place.

ChuckTheMilkMan, Jul 27, 2014

IdrinkGas, Jul 22, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

My go-to bottle shop is The Friendly Greek, where they will put almost anything in the cooler as a single just so that I can try it and report out and back. This is yet another such beer.

From the bottle: “A blend of Hot and Mild Anaheim Chiles infused in a refreshing Lager”; “Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer”; “Tommyknocker has been creating quality Lagers & Ales in the Colorado Rocky Mountains since 1994”; “Tommyknocker Legend [:] Tommyknockers slipped into the mining camps of Idaho Springs in the 1800’s with the discovery of gold in our mountains and streams. These mischievous elves, though hardly ever seen, were often heard singing and working. They guided many fortunate miners from harm’s way and to the gold they sought.”

Once I Pop!ped the cap, I was interested in guiding the beer from its bottle and into a glass. The merest pour, however, unleashed an avalanche of foam and so only the gentlest of pours was possible. The process was slow going as a result. I finally ended up with a manageable two-plus fingers of rocky, fizzy, eggshell-white head with moderate retention. Color was a slightly hazy yellow-gold (SRM = 4 -5) with some floaties in evidence. Nose was of chile peppers, but not in a disconcerting way. They reminded me of cooking with peppers, especially in omelets. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was definitely of peppers, but in a low-heat way. I was really girding myself for something out of control, like I heard about Stone’s Crime & Punishment, but this was pleasant and drinkable. It did need something to go with it, though, like cheese and crackers or pretzels or simply something to munch on. I just felt like it was not meant to be drank by itself. Relatively low (5.3%) ABV, 27 IBUs, no mention of Scovill units, but I would imagine fairly low, also. The problem for me was that it seemed to cry out for some sort of accompaniment. One bottle, no problem, but more than that and I would be ready to move on. Finish left a light, tingling heat on my tongue and in the back of my throat, but I would be laughed at for telling anyone. It wasn’t THAT hot.

woodychandler, Oct 07, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +11.5%

drwatson32, Sep 11, 2014

My first chili beer!

A: 3.25 - Thin white head with a lot of bubbles floating to the top. Yellowy-tan color, you can see right through it.

S: 4 - Awesome smell! There is a lot of chili right off the bat. A little malt. Makes me want some tamales!

T: 3.5 - The chili pepper is very present. It's not spicy at all, there is no throat burn; just a nice chili flavor. I was hoping for at least a little kick in the throat, though.

M: 3 - Pretty average. Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: 3.75 - Overall I enjoyed the beer. I went in hoping for a nice chili presence and it did not disappoint. It's nothing to write home about, but it's a nice, unique beer nonetheless. Cool stuff.

REGreenBTRB, Aug 25, 2014

podes, Jul 28, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

TLA, Sep 30, 2014

a77cj7, Monday at 06:51 AM
3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Gerred, Oct 05, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

I was expecting a coolness followed by a light burn in the throat. Nope! This tasted like a light lager with chili Powder added to it. You know, that dry, flat, chili taste. not the spicy and interesting beer that I was expecting. My Serrano IPA homebrew is MUCH better. This was my first drain pour in a long time.

punxsybob, Nov 14, 2014

Aroma of chilis
Head small (2 cm), white, creamy, diminishing to 2 mm layer
Lacing OK – partial rings of small bubbles
Body straw, clear
Flavor of chilis which quickly dies; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 4, Palate 3.75, Overall 3.875. Final weighted rating: 3.9375.
This is a chili-fied lager. While the chili flavor comes through initially, it quickly dies leaving no flavor until the next swallow. The chilis do make themselves felt in the stomach with a burn more consistent with a higher alcohol level. Unfortunately there is no evidence of hops or malt to fill the flavor void.

Ozzylizard, Sep 02, 2014