Imperial Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-17-2004

Commemorating the 10th anniversary of Tommyknocker Brewery, this special brew is meticulously crafted with pure maple syrup, the highest quality chocolate and crystal malts and is accented with the finest blend of European and American hops. Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9.8% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of their Maple Nut Brown.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 347
4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a dark brown, kinda cola like. My pour produced only a thin off white head about 1/4 inch in height which quickly faded to a ring around the glass that left no lacing.

Smell: Some roasted malts, some dark fruits and a little boozy.

Taste: Some roasted malts, giving it a hint of chocolate combined with some dark fruits (plums, prunes) comes off a little sweet. There is also a strong boozy alcohol taste. Nothing bitter here.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full in body, smooth and slick going down (kinda like warm syrup I guess) a little chewy as well. I get a bit of a warming sensation in the mouth and throat (with a little burniing in my throat) from this one.

Drinkability: I bought one bottle as a sort of what the heck I'll give it a try. It was ok, I do not know if I will repurchase this one again though. I just don't see the point of this over alcoholed brown ale. I think I'll stick with the regular version of this.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Pours a crimson-tinted brown with a half finger of off white head. It's not a lot of foam but it does leave some webs of lacing that remind me of some fat wrapping.

S- The aroma is not this beer's strength. There's a bit of smoke and roasted grains and not much else- nothing bad just kind of weak.

T- The taste is a bit odd- the combination of sweetness, smoke, roast. I don't know- I'm just not feeling it. I do taste the maple syrup so that's a plus. Also some soy sauce saltiness

M- This one lingers in the mouth, really coating everything, but I almost want some water to rinse it off. Alcohol is well hidden- at almost 10% I'm hard pressed to notice it.

O- This struck me as an average acrid tasting porter with all the smoke and saltiness. I would have this again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours almost black and quite thick looking with a small head of large bubbled foam. Decent cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell is almost exclusively caramel and roasted malt. Hints of the maple that are mentioned on the label of the bottle are also apparent.

Taste is up front maltiness with some toffee and caramel. Woody elements and of course the maple flavor as well. Finish is a little syruppy and there is some sort of fruit aspect that becomes noticeable on the finish.

Mouthfeel has good carbonation and effervescence with the noticed sappy syrup-like quality. This is to be expected for this style to a good degree so its nothing I would call a real negative.

Overall, I think this is a pretty nice imperial brown froma brewery I have never tried before. I would definitely try this again and I would be inclined to try some others by this brewery also.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer was poured into my Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Snifter from a 12oz bottle.

The beer pours dark brown, but not quite black with a small tan head the head dissipates quickly to a very little ring with little lace. Perhaps this is due to the nearly 10% ABV? I am not sure.

The aroma of the beer is full of chocolate and caramel along with an intense sweetness (possibly from the maple syrup) but there is also a bit of tartness.

The flavor of the beer is up front with chocolate and caramel sweetness, but again is follow up with a bit of tartness. I am not sure if this is an off flavor or what.

The body of the beer is medium-full along with a smooth subtle carbonation.

Overall, a rather unimpressive beer. Intense sweetness dominates with chocolate, caramel and a bit of tartness also present. Its pretty complex, but the flavors just do not appeal to me.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

While I was on vacation visiting family in Woodbridge Virginia, I got a chance to go to a Total Wine in Springfield to pick up some local beers, or any that are distributed there that are not sent to California. Picked up one bottle of this as part of a make your own six pack.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip glass.

The beer pours a murky dark chestnut brown color with about a inch of short lived tan colored head, with just a bit of lacing.

The Aroma's are of maple as you would expect, earthy hops, a bit of toffee and caramel, and a nice malty backbone. Smells sweet.

The flavors in the taste are not as sweet as the nose indicated, which was good. Notes of roasted malts, hints of caramel, light chocolate, but the maple sweetness is the most prominent flavor. It does not taste hot, as far as heat from the 9+% alcohol, which is masked by the sweetness.

The mouth feel was medium to high, fairly well carbonated, thick, with a slick viscosity to it.

This was a nice beer to try, easy to drink, smooth. I like brown ales, so this sweeter imperial version with the maple notes was nice. Last beer that I had with this much maple flavor was Life and Limb fresh ( though the maple in that one seemed to evaporated after a few months)

Recomended if your a fan of the style, and like maple syrup on your waffles and pancakes!

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Deep dark brown body.

Sweet mellow malty melt aroma.

Silky smooth on the palate. Semi-sweet, with a backing of residual sugars and roasted malts, salted nuts and fringes of dark chocolate. A malt bomb, yet some balancing citric hops near the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but the alcohol is hidden well.

For a style, that is for myself mainly lackluster. This beer is not half bad, it's actually quite well-made and produces almost a homebrew feeling. Check this one out.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on draft at Friscoe's Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a deep brown with a thin tan head of foam.

S- Smells very malty sweet, scent of molasses throughout.

T- Very sweet, strong malt taste, very little hops flavor, alcoholic.

M- Medium bodied, with a full favor, no noticeable hops.

D- Very strong brown ale, too sweet, very alcoholic.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Imperial Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery