Imperial Nut Brown Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Commemorating the 10th anniversary of Tommyknocker Brewery, this special brew is meticulously crafted with pure maple syrup, the highest quality chocolate and crystal malts and is accented with the finest blend of European and American hops. Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9.8% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of their Maple Nut Brown.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-17-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured into a pint glass...

Appearance: Dark brown/mahogany color, with hints of red coming through as it was held up to the light. Poured with almost no head, even after a force pour. Left heavy lacing that dissipated very quickly

Smell: Alcohol and fake sweetness. I couldn't smell much else. I didn't smell maple syrup at all, but I definitely smelled a chemical-ish sweetness. I don't know how else to describe it.

Taste: I did not like this beer. Tastes almost like it smells, with an overpowering astringent sweetness, almost cloying. You can definitely taste the alcohol, as well. The bottle said it was brewed with maple syrup, and I'm guessing that's where the sweetness came from, but I couldn't taste it.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin, considering how sweet it was. Lightly carbonated made it smooth.

Drinkability: It was difficult to put this one down. It did get a little better as it warmed, as more of the flavors came through, but I just couldn't get past the cloying sweetness.

I was looking for something with a maple syrup flavor when I bought this, and I was dissapointed. I am not a fan of brown ales in general, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Maybe someday I'll try this again, but right now I have no plans to.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a deep brwon with red hints showing thru, small tan head no real lace just splotches is all.

Aroma is big malt some maple sugars and alcohol, where are the nuts oh well not too bad smell.

Taste is malty some maple sugar flavors with a big alcohol kick and lingering burning felt. Finish is sugary maple syrup and alcohol burn. Needless to say not impressed with this one some decent malts but no real nut flavors for an Imperial Nut Brown oh well.

Mouthfeel is lighter then I was expecting, maybe the alcohol played a part in lighting it up a bit.

Drinkability is not good, wouldn't have again. Too much alcohol noticed, why? Lots of brews can hide or blend 9.8% or more well enough.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

A: a rather thin looking raisin brown, almost non existent head. there are a few tannish bubbles floating on top after about 30 seconds.
S: sweet maple dominates, but i dontget much of anything else in there to break it up a little. im left wanting something else because its quite sugary smelling. its relatively pleasant smelling, but theres no complexity.
T: not feeling it. i know its a maple syrup brown ale, and i basically knew what to expect, but this is just too much. its so mapley ( if thats a word) and my palate hates me right now. it tastes like chewing on carmelized brown sugar.
M: my teeth are tingling. syrupy and just too much to handle.
D: none really to speak of. going down the drain.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

I stored this in the fridge and let it sit for a bit at room temperature before pouring into a Newcastle Brown Ale glass. It was a dark mahogany with very little light getting through and had a nice fluffy head. Nose offered up a sweet, alcoholic blend of oranges and wine.

Sweet, slightly boozy flavor with a faint hop twang. The finish is bland and you are left with an alcoholic taste in your mouth. I didn't care for the flavor at all. It's too boozy and, even with all the sweetness, I don't get the nutty, toasted malt sweetness I'm looking for in this style.

I didn't care for this one as much as the brewer's standard Maple Nut Brown Ale (which is a nice beer). The other beer is easy-drinking and has a nice, mild, malty sweetness (not an alcohol sweetness). For me, this one is boozy and syrupy and kind of gross. However, don't let me detain you. I encourage you to crack one open and try it yourself.

2.53/5  rDev -32%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. 9% ABV, 2/4 Notched on the label with no apparent significance.

A - Hazy dark brown pond-water color with almost no head on the pour. Very little retention to what's there with a ring of bubbles left around the outside. A tiny finger of lace reaches up.

S - Maple syrup definitely comes through which adds a nice sugary sweetness but the backing caramel and amber malt isn't doing much at all. The brew has a lack-luster brown ale nose with a bland nuttiness. No booziness in the nose but there is certainly a presence of heat.

T - Yeasty brown-amber malts seem off some how and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on what's causing it. Maple syrup tastes nice and is just about the only redeeming quality. The dry nutty kick to the finish and odd sweetness is cloying. A touch of earthy dirty wood too.

M - Medium-full bodied and rich with an attacking, cloying dry sweetness to the finish. No alcohol heat at all. The flavor comes across incredibly thin mid-palate.

D - I'm pouring this out. Each sip feels like a mistake I wish I hadn't made. The flavor and feel are both off and don't have many redeeming qualities to them at all. I like the maple syrup addition to it but that's really about it. This beer needs a lot of work. Note - If only the notched date made sense.

2.58/5  rDev -30.6%

I must say, I was truly let down with this one. It poured a quite cloudy dark brownish-red colour with a HUGE foamy khaki coloured head. The smell was amazingly sweet with a powferul alcohol punch. The taste? More of the smell, quite honestly, with a rediculous amount of sugar and alcohol. There's no doubt in my mind that maple syrup is involved in the brewing process of this one. Enormously sweet, and enormously alcoholic. I didn't really care for this one, especially in such a large serving. This needs to be an 11,2oz bottle, certainly not a 22oz'er. Very rough and quite strong. I have had brews 11, 12, even 15%abv, that were easier to drink than this. I'm sure this has its fans, but I didn't care for it, thanks.

2.6/5  rDev -30.1%

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

12oz bottle. sampled feb 7/09.

pours deep reddish brown with a small very dense brown head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is ok. light alcohol. nutty - peacan, hazelnut, bit of almond. there's also a fishy soy sauce thing going on too that's not so nice. smells like a sushi restaurant. rice. white bread. cracker.

taste is pretty similar to the aroma. there's the definite nut brown character - bread, cracker, mixed nuts - but paired with fish, rice, and soy sauce. low bitterness level. bit of alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium-light body. medium-light carbonation level.

drinkability is not great. the fish/soy thing is pretty off-putting. balanced and otherwise kind of nice, but i just can't get past that.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

So, apparently, Tommyknocker and their new labels have entered the Chicagoland market. Okay. This stuff pours a clear russet-garnet topped by a half-finger of ashen khaki foam. The nose comprises rich caramel, sweet coffee (imagine sniffing the air at the mall right at the edge of the food court where there's a coffee "store" and a candy store right next to each other), mild cashew, and a hint of cocoa. The taste holds notes of fusel alcohol (up front and in-my-face), burnt nuts, toasted malts, and bitter coffee. Things took a turn from the pleasant and sweet to the unexpectedly crass and bitter. Shame, really. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, what could have been a solid beer (judging by the smell) instead allowed itself to succumb to the Dark Side, with a flavor combination that made me harshly grimace with every sip.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

12 oz bottle, I believe received from mikesgroove in a trade a while ago.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, brown out of the light, thin off white head forms, quickly drops to a thin ring around the glass, some nice lacing sticks to the glass, looks pretty good. Smell is neat, very sweet, nuts, brown sugar, maple, caramel, biscuits, pretty interesting maple and nut component, some alcohol comes through, a bit of fruitiness, I like it. Taste is similar, quite sweet, brown sugar and maples, quite nutty, a little bit of soya sauce, raisins, biscuity maltiness and lots of sweetness in the finish, alcohol comes through, almost a fish/soy finish, pretty strange. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, almost syrupy, lots of maple, weird fishiness = not so drinkable. Kind of a mess, not sure whats up with this one, but can't say I enjoyed it. Thanks Mike!

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a very dark reddish brown. Thin brown head, dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

Aroma is caramel, brown sugar, very light hops, and maybe a hint of alcohol.

Taste is sweet, but not really distinct. Not really getting much malt flavor. Hops start coming out towards the finish, but then even they are overshadowed by the alcohol bite.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Malt really doesn't punch through in this sample, I get alcohol, some really faint hops and not much else. Honestly, I was shocked that this beer was reviewed this well, as I don't find any character to it at all.
Can't say I'll be buying this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz bottle at 48 degrees into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours a very dark mahogany color with a finger and a half of light tan head that has great retention and laces very well.

S: Maple, sour dark fruits, nuttiness, and booze.

T: Nothing sticks out too much despite its strength; maple syrup, toasted bread, hazelnut, and some booze.

M: It has a thick mouthfeel that coats the palate with a bubbly/foamy stickage. This makes it very chewy.

D: It began promising but there is a lot wrong with this.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer didn't really deliver much for my pallet. Appearance was brown with a small head. My glass was clean, and when I poured it in there was some specks of stuff drifting around. I was sure to rinse my glass after the first one to check the second and it was there. Couldn't depict a texture of the specks, just noticed them.

Taste was odd. If you've ever had black walnuts or black walnut cake, it had that very pungent smell/taste of black walnuts soaked in rum. And I would say it definitely had some bite to it.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin. And I wouldn't particularly want a whole lot of these in a sitting since A) 9.8%, it'll catch up after 2; B)I couldn't pair it very well with a particular type of food.

Just didn't do it for me, and this is only an opinion.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

Dark muddy brown, mostly opaque. light, short lived tan head. Smell is very nutty, rich brown sweet malt and a hint of cocoa. Smell is actually surprisingly nice. Taste is kind of cheap and sweet and artificial with syrupy nuttiness. Alcohol is hidden pretty well, but shows a bit. Definitely a richer mouthfeel than Tommyknockers' other beers. Drinkable, and one of their better beers for sure, but still a bit too artificial tasting.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm surprised this one is rated as highly as it is. For a beer made with real maple syrup, I didn't notice any maple taste at all. Call me crazy, but I expect a chocolate porter to taste like chocolate, a lambic to taste fruity, and an ale prominently proclaiming "made with real maple syrup" right on the label to taste at least a little like maple. Not the case here.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%

12 ounce bottle - $2.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body, clear, and with a short-lived, light beige head.

Smell: Moderately sweet-scented and, with just a bit of warmth, adds a noted fusel tone to tickle the nostrils beyond the modest notes of maple, store-brand cola, unsweetened chocolate powder.

Taste: Sweet tastes of brown sugar, molasses, and alcohol-soaked toasted bread crumbs as well as the aforementioned maple syrup. Dark fruits. Faint, bland chocolate hint. Very low hop character. It just doesn't seem particularly complex, folks. Growing sweetness as well as an alcoholic bite culminating in a sweet, warm finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's been a good, long while since I last tried INBA. About 6 (six) years by my guess. I fully recall not digging it then, and I'm just not really digging it now.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

A- Low lying head with milky thick brown body. Was in a low lit bar so appearance has a little give or take to it, I'm doing my best.

S- Malty, fruity maple with a hint of earthy hops

T- Hmmmm. This stuff is seemingly over-sweet for the style but the higher abv% is still pretty well masked. I'm sitting here wondering what the final gravity was on this brew...I'm thinking at least 1.020. It has a coppery iron (almost blood like) after taste that finds itself mixed on the pallet with a sharp sour bitterness. I did not expect the tartness.

M- With a thick appearance this one actually sits rather lightly

D- Honestly, I ordered a second pint. Perfect with my hearty soup. I just wish it had less of a pungent lingering aftertaste.

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured a dark brown color, moderately hazy, with a decent cap of off-white head that left a bit of lacing. Woody aroma, nutty, and a little soapy, some booze. Taste of roasted malts, nuts, a little much on the boozy side, with just a hint of maple sweetness and brown sugar. A bit on the harsh side, and somewhat watery. Might have been better if, well, it wasn't a brown ale. Medium mouthfeel, and overall just a bit lacking in flavor, due to the general blandness I usually experience with brown ales, and with the alcohol thinning it out too much. I probably wouldn't want to drink this again.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

This beer pours very attractively, a rich amber color with a pillowly head. It also smells very sweet and pleasant. The flavor of the beer continues in the same vein as the aroma, but proves a bit too sweet and surprisingly light bodied. It was at best, ok, a nice concept with the maple syrup, but....for me it didn't work out. Very pretty, and nice smelling though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This stuff is very dark brown, not quite opaque, with some particles floating about. The head was light tan as far as I could tell...it really wasn't around long enough to get a good look at it. You could smell a hint of hops in a slight citrus a bit of maple syrup, but the sweet caramel/nutty malts were most dominant. A bit of a caramelized brown sugar taste, but then...soy sauce. This just didn't sit well with me. Kind of smooth going down, but the taste was disappointing.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

Pours a dark brown color almost black with no light getting through and a small off white khaki colored head. The aroma is of maple nuts and dark fruits. The taste is of a sweet malt backbone with a maple flavor over the top. There is a little raisin taste also. The mouthfeel is very thick, not taste wise but actually thick. Drinkability wise, ehhh, you could have one or two, but i can't see you going more than that. One would probably do it, its okay good for a change of pace for a brown ale.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

Pours a dark reddish/brown color with a small and beady off white head. The aroma profile is very one dimensional and smells syrupy sweet with alcoholic notes. Not terribly complex and it doesn't fair much better in taste as it tastes just as it smells; syrupy and alcoholic with hints of chocolate and a light dose of dark malts. Again, one sided and not terribly complex, hops are no where to be found.

While this is nicely carbonated and full bodied, it is unbalanced and comes across with almost too much body and it becomes a little overwhelming even for this interpretation of the style. While certainly not bad, I don't think I would actively seek this one out again, but I may give it another shot.

12oz bottle

says 9% alcohol and brewed with pure maple syrup...Ya don't say, the smell is alcoholy with the maple syrup and black lickerish smells coming through.

Pours a 1 finger head that dissipates to almost nothing

Flavor is very Imperial Indeed. Rich and robust, very sweet, the aftertaste is dominated by a sweetness. Kind of one dimensional, but nothing really negative about the taste to note for what is there.

What's not there is that it's not very nutty, that's what I miss here, not too pleased about that.

Very sweet, almost too sweet, but I suppose that is what they were driving at. Share this one with a friend.

Imperial Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery