Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: russpowell on 11-09-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer Alström Bros
BattleRoadBrewer

1.27/5  rDev -62.4%

Served at 38F from 12 oz amber bottle into brandy glass.

Aroma at the bottle top was fetid and musty, but I've been tricked before by the first sniff, so still have an open mind about it.

Lovely pour of dark brown generating a lucious light tan head with fine foam and great persistence. Very encouraging.

Nose was of prune juice, maybe with a fleeting hint of coffee. Hmm...

Flavor was just dreadful. Can't even describe it except that it was really bad. Took a second swallow just to convince myself it really was that awful. It was. On the good side, it didn't actually make me wretch.

Drinkability: None. First drain pour of 2007.

03-25-2007 02:08:51 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

1.3/5  rDev -61.5%

My first impression is: this beer stinks! As in = it smells really really bad. For whatever reason, the scent is of moldy wet burnt carpet. Ick. On the bright side, it looks good. Very dark and the mocha head stays around. I think that's about the only positive thing I have to say about this one. The taste is bad. Its sweet and syrupy and kind of nauseating. Something just doesnt taste right. I dont know what happened here. I want to believe I got a bad bottle. I split this with my girlfriend and could barely finish my 6 ounces.

11-19-2006 23:44:47 | More by chOAKbarrell
FtownThrowDown

1.35/5  rDev -60.1%

All I have to start with, is this is the closest I’ve ever come to a drain pour. It tastes really sour. It’s like eating a hershey kiss and a lemonhead at the same time. Don’t really get this beer. The smell is as bad as the taste. The only thing going for it, is it doesn’t look that nasty sitting in the glass. Which gets you to drink it. I kept on taking drinks thinking there’s no way it’s as bad as I think it is. This thing is a mess!

12-01-2006 14:41:53 | More by FtownThrowDown
aleyeast

South Carolina

1.45/5  rDev -57.1%

This was definitely a drain pour. Although I might have refrained from a bad review if this one a one bottle mishap, I see that it is more widespread than my sixpack. The smell was the best part of this beverage, after that, it tasted of cocoa flanders brown ale gone bad. The acetic acid was overwhelming to the point of undrinkability and I am a big fan of sour beers (I believe this one was unintentional) If you could possiby get by the vinegar flavor, the beer was thin and too overly dominated by what seemed like artificial flavor.

12-18-2006 14:47:27 | More by aleyeast
ZAP

1.53/5  rDev -54.7%

Beers like this always intrigue me but this one is pretty bad. The score should be worse than the total probably but I had to rate the appearance fairly and it "looks" good in the glass...it's just the rest of the experience that is disappointing.

A-Dark brown...vanilla white head on top

S-A lot of the green apple aroma..a small scent of coca perhaps..

T-The predominant impression is a sour green apple puckering flavor. Cocoa powder and honey might be in this but it is so overriden by the sour flavor it is completely secondary...As it warms some of the cocoa emerges a little (enough to move it up from a 1.0 to a 1.5)

M-On the light side of medium bodied...not big winter warmer by any means.

D-Not for me. One of the worst beers I've had in awhile

01-03-2007 01:38:15 | More by ZAP
jmalex

1.58/5  rDev -53.3%

Cocoa? Honey? Porter? This beer sounded too exciting for me not to buy! Maybe I should've read the other comments first... yeesh. Onto the review!

Appearance: Things start off reasonably nice, and if I hadn't been warned as to what was coming, I'd say that things look promising for this beer. Decent size head tops a near opaque brown brew.

Smell: Smells like burning! Deep roasted (scorched?) malts dominate the nose with hints of sour apple (!) coming through. Yikes.

Taste: Sour. Tastes infected. I can kind of pick up the cocoa flavors, at least in my first few gulps. But as I reach the bottom of the glass, this bad funky sourness overpowers everything.

Mouthfeel: It's kind of hard to isolate a mouthfeel rating when you're choking down something like this. I guess it's not too bad, maybe a little thin for a porter. Carbonation seems okay though.

Drinkability: Nope. One and done. I will not be buying this again. Ever.

It's a shame. As a homebrewer and a porter lover, a cocoa honey porter sounds just like the kind of concoction I'd try and whip up myself, but this really wasn't executed well at all. The cocoa is there, but severely veiled, and the honey wasn't detectable at all. I just hope this wasn't what the brewer was going for. I'm glad I only had one bottle.

01-19-2007 00:10:16 | More by jmalex
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

1.63/5  rDev -51.8%

A - this porter pours a dark dark black with a half finger of tan head, only sparse carbonation clinging to the side

S - cocoa, near coffee aroma dominates of course, almost bready aroma as well

T - way to sour, sheesh, why is this so sour, like the cocoa is pure cocoa, with no extra sugar, a harsh bitter-sourness,

M&D - it needs some lactic sweetness and it would be kick ass, too chewy, i actually poured the remainder of this out, a rarity for me

01-14-2007 16:16:08 | More by sinstaineddemon
macster

1.68/5  rDev -50.3%

Pours just like a cola soda - dirty brown and extremely fizzy. Bad start right off the bat. Head barely had a chance to make a showing before it faded off into permanent oblivion. Some decent aromas of cocoa powder, roasted malts and sweet caramel can be barely detected. However, a very distracting and unpleasant sour or musty smell lingered in the background. Mouthfeel was just awful in everyway. Thin, watery with a stinging soda-like fizziness. Flavor very much like the nose but tougher to handle since you have to actually swallow this stuff. Some malty, caramel cocoa sweetness appears initially but is quicky followed by a fairly repulsive tart sourness. Perhaps I purchased a bad bottle and of course glad it wasn’t six; but serving this to your friends would be a good way to lose them!

05-27-2007 04:44:09 | More by macster
pwoods

1.75/5  rDev -48.2%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased from Jungle Jim's, poured into a pint.

A: Deep brown pour that resembles root beer. 2 fingers of light tan head that's a bit fizzy. Decent retention and some nice lacing.

S: Light cola scent with plenty of cocoa powder. Lightly toasted coffee beans.

T/M: Pleasant sweetness from the cocoa but a weird sourness... like limeaid without sugar in it. Light body, medium carbonation.

D: I couldn't even finish it.

12-23-2007 05:18:35 | More by pwoods
AwYeh

1.78/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz poured into a pint glass; thanks to Jesse13713 for sharing it!

A: Pours dark brown, with a finger of foamy light brown/yellow head.

S: Slightly soured, musty, tangy chocolate roasted malts.

T: Musty, tangy, cocoa powder (distinctly different from milk/dark/even white chocolate), and some slightly spoiled milk; but hey, at least there aren't lumps like in real spoiled milk.

M: Thin, watery body; light carbonation, with an unpleasant tangy creamy finish.

D: Bleh, this is easy for a chugger considering it's a porter, but the question is: why would you want that in a porter?

02-19-2011 05:06:51 | More by AwYeh

05-10-2013 23:12:17 | More by tommyguz
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -38.5%

Dull, turbid, reddish brown with reddish orange edges. The head looks much better than the beer. It's three full fingers in size, golden sandstone in color and richly creamy in texture. A thin blanket of lace covers most of the available glass. The appearance score will have to be a compromise of cap and crown.

Something seems seriously off-kilter with respect to the nose. Cocoa Porter doesn't smell like cocoa or a porter. I can't come up with any sort of coherent description, it just doesn't smell very good. I can't believe that the brewers intended to give this beer this nose, so something must have gone wrong with the batch.

Not good. Not good at all. Sour and metallic are the first off-flavors to make it from taste buds to brain. Tommyknocker can't be serious calling this beer a cocoa porter. Again, like the nose, it tastes like neither. Perhaps it's the honey that's screwing things up, but I doubt it. Honey doesn't taste like this... unless it's rancid.

If I didn't see the 'bottled on' date of November '06 on the label, I would have suspected that I got ahold of an old bottle. That's because it tastes like a beer that's way past its prime. The more I drink, the more I'm sure that this beer never had a prime. There's very little malt present and I'm even struggling to appreciate any of the added cocoa powder.

The mouthfeel is thin, thinner, thinnest. That, as much as anything, tells me that something is amiss here. A few more bubbles would have resulted in more life in terms of the mouthfeel, but even that couldn't have come close to bringing things up to average.

Cocoa Porter is Tommyknocker's worst beer by a country mile. I've been somewhat impressed with most of their offerings, even if they aren't world beaters. This one, though, needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd like something bold and colorful next time, rather than the faint, smeary outline of a beer that I've been struggling to finish for the past 30 minutes.

01-13-2007 15:01:30 | More by BuckeyeNation
Hibernator

2.15/5  rDev -36.4%

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter
12 oz brown bottle
January 07 notched on the side label. Enjoy within 4 months.
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a deep dark brown with a fluffy khaki colored head. Nice trails of sticky lace.

Whoa..the nose is sour and funky. Something is not right for the style.

The first second of the sip starts promising, but turns to a sour mess. A touch of dark roasted malts with a touch of chocolate malts presence. The ending flavors are out of whack. Strong sour lime fruit mix. The mouthfeel and balance are just way to "off". Borderline drain pour.

I really enjoyed the Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale, but this one is a letdown. Pass.

02-15-2007 23:42:54 | More by Hibernator
Jesse13713

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance - Poured a very dark brown with a head that took quite awhile to diminish.

Smell - Not very pleasant. A watery chocolate smell. That's about it.

Taste - Purely watered down cocoa powder. A little skunky and sour. But not a pleasant kind of sour. Just very average and boring. A little bit of a rotten taste.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Just as unpleasant as the taste. Bland and rotten tasting. This was my first Tommyknocker offering and I will be hesitant before picking up another one.

02-19-2011 04:47:16 | More by Jesse13713
objectivemonkey

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Into a pint glass, pours a dark dark brown, small head shrinking to nothing, no lacing, kind of boring. The aroma is also minimal, some standard porter qualities, the 'cocoa' brings some odd quality to it. Same with the taste, boring, artificial, and otherwise unappealing. I try not to write reviews simply giving a bad critique without any specifics, but I really couldn't get anything specific out of this, kind of just a vague ish. Not a fan.

03-31-2007 01:49:32 | More by objectivemonkey
TheBear11D

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

A dark bark brown chocolate color with a small, short-lived tan head.

Cocoa, chocolate with a stong sweet scent backed by a very faint spice.

Sweetness of chocolate and milk in the start with maybe some caramel and other sweet flavors all smashed together. The tastes come across rather fake.

Fairly thin and watery and the carbonation is similar to soda.

Drinks okay, but not something I will be seeking again.

12-22-2008 23:18:44 | More by TheBear11D
oriolesfan4

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Another subpar beer from this brewery... This is the 7th I tried and still nothing good.. I wonder how they stay in business.

This beer suffers from a total lack of carbonation, it is just way too flat, even for a porter. There is little to no cocoa taste in there, making the title of this beer a bi of a misnomer. It feels all out of whack and isn't very enjoyable... skip this one, and the rest of Tommy Knocker's offerings aren't too great either.

11-15-2008 22:47:22 | More by oriolesfan4
olympicgatorade

05-02-2012 23:06:29 | More by olympicgatorade
JBarx

08-19-2012 22:18:06 | More by JBarx
Ricochet

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

S: Toasted malt, a little honey and very sweet plus odd metallic

A: Very dark brown, not a see thru, nearly black? Unusual. Good head with typical lace.

M: Bite of sweet, otherwise, average creaminess and bitterness

T: I'll try to be fair here. The toasted malt mixes well with the flavors but the flavors don't taste good together. The cocoa powder tastes just like that, added to a dark beer, and the honey could be tasted making this sweet, but I've had a taste like this way back when I was in social studies, and we were reviewing Aztec countries, and my teacher bought in some cocoa powder and mixed it with water. Bitter as all hell but not in a good way. This would be the taste of this beer. Dec '06 was the BOD, so it couldn't be from age.

Okay, I don't know what they were trying to get at when they brewed this, but it's not for me. Because it was a dark, it didn't get a drain pour.

01-29-2007 01:58:37 | More by Ricochet
TastyTaste

2.3/5  rDev -32%

Appearance: Hazy dark brown body, moderate tan head fades fast.

Smell: Sour fruit and a little cocoa. Maybe infected?

Taste: Cocoa is there, but the beer overall is tart and sour. Bottle is within freshness date, so I am not sure if this is intentional or not. Pretty funky and off tasting, this is not my favorite beer.

Drinkability: A big pass as is, I don't know if it was bad or not, though.

01-04-2007 02:06:54 | More by TastyTaste
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours good enough, although very little head. No lacing at all to speak of.
Nose is kinda nondescript with no notes of cocoa or anything else worth describing.
The mouthfeel was average at best and the taste, well, very dissapointing. Slight maltiness with almost a cocoa powder like taste. Not real pleasant at all.
I guess, its worth a try out of sheer curiosity alone. Otherwise, its best left alone.

02-09-2007 02:13:20 | More by dmamiano