Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: russpowell on 11-09-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a deep brown under a smallish off white head. Some retention, no lacing.

S: Sweet malt and cocoa powder. Reminds me of Cocoa Krispies, which I like, but don't have a desire to drink as a beer. Maybe a slight hint of roasted malt.

T: Some slight sweet and toasted malt and sour. Some cocoa character but not the rich chocolate one would expect. Slightest cardboard tone.

M/D: Not much carbonation to speak of and the body is medium but a thinner than desired in a porter. Drinkability isn't bad, as I could probably drink a few more, but I don't know that I would choose to drink much more than the 1 left in my fridge. This beer is a decent taste profile and a buffed up body away from being a semi-solid brew.

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice medium brown with an average head.

S: Nice roasted malt with with hints of roasted malt and sweetened cocoa.

T: Not bad actually. Big sweet cocoa taste with a hint of vanilla. There is also a lactic quality about this one. It has a definite milky quality. Hot cocoa lovers will enjoy it.

M: Medium bodied with an above average carbonation.

D: Once bottle and done for me.

Overall: This would make a great dessert beer on a nice cool night. The chocolate taste is from additives opposed to malt but it is rather nice. I think this would be a beer that would be a nice gateway for someone expanding into darker brews, women included.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Sreved from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark brown, but not opaque. Some pale ruby colors around the edges. Thin, tan head dissipates quickly, leaving minimal if any lace.

Aroma is mild roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee.

Flavor is slightly sweet cocoa, with some mild roasted malt and a touch of honey. Finishes with a dry cocoa characteristic, and maybe a little chalky. No bitterness to speak of.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Balance is good, and I agree with previous reviewers that the head and lacing could use some work. I originally had this in March on tap at the brewery, and if I had reviewed it then it would have gotten a much worse review....but this batch seems a lot better. Maybe it's just me, but it just seems to have more flavor and more of what I expected it to have the first time I tried it. Very pleasant, and certainly a good dessert beer. In any case, decent sessionable porter.

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 26th, 2007: The beer is a dark chestnut color with a medium thin and rather fizzy light brown head that dissipates right away. Thin and spotty lacing. Cocoa aroma similar to opening a can of the powdered mix. Not much else to the aroma. Medium-bodied and lightly roasty with cocoa dominating the flavor as well. The finish is sweet cocoa and is chalky at times. Pretty much a one-trick pony.

1.68/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours just like a cola soda - dirty brown and extremely fizzy. Bad start right off the bat. Head barely had a chance to make a showing before it faded off into permanent oblivion. Some decent aromas of cocoa powder, roasted malts and sweet caramel can be barely detected. However, a very distracting and unpleasant sour or musty smell lingered in the background. Mouthfeel was just awful in everyway. Thin, watery with a stinging soda-like fizziness. Flavor very much like the nose but tougher to handle since you have to actually swallow this stuff. Some malty, caramel cocoa sweetness appears initially but is quicky followed by a fairly repulsive tart sourness. Perhaps I purchased a bad bottle and of course glad it wasn’t six; but serving this to your friends would be a good way to lose them!

2.2/5  rDev -34.7%

Into a pint glass, pours a dark dark brown, small head shrinking to nothing, no lacing, kind of boring. The aroma is also minimal, some standard porter qualities, the 'cocoa' brings some odd quality to it. Same with the taste, boring, artificial, and otherwise unappealing. I try not to write reviews simply giving a bad critique without any specifics, but I really couldn't get anything specific out of this, kind of just a vague ish. Not a fan.

1.27/5  rDev -62.3%

Served at 38F from 12 oz amber bottle into brandy glass.

Aroma at the bottle top was fetid and musty, but I've been tricked before by the first sniff, so still have an open mind about it.

Lovely pour of dark brown generating a lucious light tan head with fine foam and great persistence. Very encouraging.

Nose was of prune juice, maybe with a fleeting hint of coffee. Hmm...

Flavor was just dreadful. Can't even describe it except that it was really bad. Took a second swallow just to convince myself it really was that awful. It was. On the good side, it didn't actually make me wretch.

Drinkability: None. First drain pour of 2007.

2.73/5  rDev -19%

On-tap @ Capital Ale House Downtown. Served in a pint glass. Listed as 5.7%abv.

A- deep brown, cream white head w/ fast fade to some moderate lacing

S- sweet honey, cocoa/chocolate, dark malt

T- sweet honey dominates with cocoa powder underneath, tartness to finish

M- Light bodied, fair carbonation

D- A little too much honey. A definite powdery cocoa taste, as if you were making chocolate milk and didn't mix the powder all the way: a suspension instead of a solution. Sort of a mix between a winter warmer and a porter. Nothing special here.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a bottle with Dec '06 freshness date. The head is 3 fingers high and light brown in color and has very good retention. The color is a dark brown with some light brown hi-lites.

There is a grassy, sweet aroma.

The taste is not similar to other porters that I have had with a taste more like white wine, sweet and honey flavored.

The mouthfeel is dry with a medium body and medium carbonation. Not your typical porter.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

There is a lot of chocolate in here but the most surprising and noticeable flavor is this sort of lactic sugar tartness. Was this intentional? I mean I know breweries frequently add lactose to there sweet stouts to produce this kind of flavor, but is that the case here? I guess it could be the result of the fermented honey that the back of the bottle states is in there, I dunno. Other than that flavor, there is some definite roastiness, tasty caramel and smooth cocoa towards the finish.

I was surprised by this one, but not put off. It really strikes me as more of a sweet/lacto stout because of that sour lactic acidity. But unless you really can’t stand that flavor, you’ll probably enjoy this brew.

Recommended…

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter
12 oz brown bottle
January 07 notched on the side label. Enjoy within 4 months.
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a deep dark brown with a fluffy khaki colored head. Nice trails of sticky lace.

Whoa..the nose is sour and funky. Something is not right for the style.

The first second of the sip starts promising, but turns to a sour mess. A touch of dark roasted malts with a touch of chocolate malts presence. The ending flavors are out of whack. Strong sour lime fruit mix. The mouthfeel and balance are just way to "off". Borderline drain pour.

I really enjoyed the Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale, but this one is a letdown. Pass.

2.33/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours good enough, although very little head. No lacing at all to speak of.
Nose is kinda nondescript with no notes of cocoa or anything else worth describing.
The mouthfeel was average at best and the taste, well, very dissapointing. Slight maltiness with almost a cocoa powder like taste. Not real pleasant at all.
I guess, its worth a try out of sheer curiosity alone. Otherwise, its best left alone.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Wow, I'm not sure where all the bad vibes are coming from for this beer. While I am not a big chocolate guy, I found it to be pretty interesting.
The head is nice and solid, and the aroma has mainly cocoa, with a tinge of honey maybe.
I didn't get the sourness or bitterness many others got. Sure, there is a bit of bitterness from the cocoa, but since it is a side-effect of the cocoa flavor which predominates, it's not off-putting.
Don't get me wrong, the beer is not spectacular, but it's also not as bad as everyone else at BeerAdvocate has made it out to be..

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

S: Toasted malt, a little honey and very sweet plus odd metallic

A: Very dark brown, not a see thru, nearly black? Unusual. Good head with typical lace.

M: Bite of sweet, otherwise, average creaminess and bitterness

T: I'll try to be fair here. The toasted malt mixes well with the flavors but the flavors don't taste good together. The cocoa powder tastes just like that, added to a dark beer, and the honey could be tasted making this sweet, but I've had a taste like this way back when I was in social studies, and we were reviewing Aztec countries, and my teacher bought in some cocoa powder and mixed it with water. Bitter as all hell but not in a good way. This would be the taste of this beer. Dec '06 was the BOD, so it couldn't be from age.

Okay, I don't know what they were trying to get at when they brewed this, but it's not for me. Because it was a dark, it didn't get a drain pour.

1.58/5  rDev -53.1%

Cocoa? Honey? Porter? This beer sounded too exciting for me not to buy! Maybe I should've read the other comments first... yeesh. Onto the review!

Appearance: Things start off reasonably nice, and if I hadn't been warned as to what was coming, I'd say that things look promising for this beer. Decent size head tops a near opaque brown brew.

Smell: Smells like burning! Deep roasted (scorched?) malts dominate the nose with hints of sour apple (!) coming through. Yikes.

Taste: Sour. Tastes infected. I can kind of pick up the cocoa flavors, at least in my first few gulps. But as I reach the bottom of the glass, this bad funky sourness overpowers everything.

Mouthfeel: It's kind of hard to isolate a mouthfeel rating when you're choking down something like this. I guess it's not too bad, maybe a little thin for a porter. Carbonation seems okay though.

Drinkability: Nope. One and done. I will not be buying this again. Ever.

It's a shame. As a homebrewer and a porter lover, a cocoa honey porter sounds just like the kind of concoction I'd try and whip up myself, but this really wasn't executed well at all. The cocoa is there, but severely veiled, and the honey wasn't detectable at all. I just hope this wasn't what the brewer was going for. I'm glad I only had one bottle.

1.63/5  rDev -51.6%

A - this porter pours a dark dark black with a half finger of tan head, only sparse carbonation clinging to the side

S - cocoa, near coffee aroma dominates of course, almost bready aroma as well

T - way to sour, sheesh, why is this so sour, like the cocoa is pure cocoa, with no extra sugar, a harsh bitter-sourness,

M&D - it needs some lactic sweetness and it would be kick ass, too chewy, i actually poured the remainder of this out, a rarity for me

2.08/5  rDev -38.3%

Dull, turbid, reddish brown with reddish orange edges. The head looks much better than the beer. It's three full fingers in size, golden sandstone in color and richly creamy in texture. A thin blanket of lace covers most of the available glass. The appearance score will have to be a compromise of cap and crown.

Something seems seriously off-kilter with respect to the nose. Cocoa Porter doesn't smell like cocoa or a porter. I can't come up with any sort of coherent description, it just doesn't smell very good. I can't believe that the brewers intended to give this beer this nose, so something must have gone wrong with the batch.

Not good. Not good at all. Sour and metallic are the first off-flavors to make it from taste buds to brain. Tommyknocker can't be serious calling this beer a cocoa porter. Again, like the nose, it tastes like neither. Perhaps it's the honey that's screwing things up, but I doubt it. Honey doesn't taste like this... unless it's rancid.

If I didn't see the 'bottled on' date of November '06 on the label, I would have suspected that I got ahold of an old bottle. That's because it tastes like a beer that's way past its prime. The more I drink, the more I'm sure that this beer never had a prime. There's very little malt present and I'm even struggling to appreciate any of the added cocoa powder.

The mouthfeel is thin, thinner, thinnest. That, as much as anything, tells me that something is amiss here. A few more bubbles would have resulted in more life in terms of the mouthfeel, but even that couldn't have come close to bringing things up to average.

Cocoa Porter is Tommyknocker's worst beer by a country mile. I've been somewhat impressed with most of their offerings, even if they aren't world beaters. This one, though, needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd like something bold and colorful next time, rather than the faint, smeary outline of a beer that I've been struggling to finish for the past 30 minutes.

2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

Appearance: Hazy dark brown body, moderate tan head fades fast.

Smell: Sour fruit and a little cocoa. Maybe infected?

Taste: Cocoa is there, but the beer overall is tart and sour. Bottle is within freshness date, so I am not sure if this is intentional or not. Pretty funky and off tasting, this is not my favorite beer.

Drinkability: A big pass as is, I don't know if it was bad or not, though.

1.53/5  rDev -54.6%

Beers like this always intrigue me but this one is pretty bad. The score should be worse than the total probably but I had to rate the appearance fairly and it "looks" good in the glass...it's just the rest of the experience that is disappointing.

A-Dark brown...vanilla white head on top

S-A lot of the green apple aroma..a small scent of coca perhaps..

T-The predominant impression is a sour green apple puckering flavor. Cocoa powder and honey might be in this but it is so overriden by the sour flavor it is completely secondary...As it warms some of the cocoa emerges a little (enough to move it up from a 1.0 to a 1.5)

M-On the light side of medium bodied...not big winter warmer by any means.

D-Not for me. One of the worst beers I've had in awhile

Appearance:
The beer is a ruby hued mahogany. The pour is flat and void of any head.

Smell:
The scent is that of a freshly opened packet of swiss miss. It's powdery and only mildly chocolate in nature.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks dry and powdery and once again tastes like cheap packets of hot cocoa. It's not an awful pairing given the character of porter but it's certainly not amazing in any way shape or form. The overwhelming powdered cocoa notes carry far in to the finish.

Drinkability:
Not quite as satisfying as hot cocoa nor beer. Just another one of those "WHY?" beers.

Bottom Line:
Bless them for trying but this beer is totally mediocre. Everything I like about porter is shadowed over by the powdered cocoa taste.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: Deep amber brown, almost impenetrable to light, with a small white head, which retains well, and thin, finely-beaded lacing.

Aroma: Dark fruits vie with bitter cocoa for supremacy, with notes of vanilla as well.

Taste: Mild chocolate at the open, a bit like NesQuik, or Chocolate Soldier. Midway through the taste a green apple sourness appears, which lingers to the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with soda-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: The pronounced sourness is suggestive of infection, but I wonder as a number of other reviewers have noted it as well. Perhaps this is simply poorly made.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Seasons greetings to russpowell for sending me this...

Winter beers are often all about spices and indulgence. No doubt, this one has those in abundance. There are lots of flavors, but they don't all fit well together. The beer is a bit of a collage, with the flavors all fighting like puppies breastfeeding to be heard among a bunch of stock traders shouting each other down--I Love Mixed Metaphors! In other words, the flavors don't blend.

I think that this seasonal has a lot of potential, but that it needs some tweaking. Right now, the honey is just too overwhelming.

1.45/5  rDev -57%

This was definitely a drain pour. Although I might have refrained from a bad review if this one a one bottle mishap, I see that it is more widespread than my sixpack. The smell was the best part of this beverage, after that, it tasted of cocoa flanders brown ale gone bad. The acetic acid was overwhelming to the point of undrinkability and I am a big fan of sour beers (I believe this one was unintentional) If you could possiby get by the vinegar flavor, the beer was thin and too overly dominated by what seemed like artificial flavor.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy brown body. Thin light brown head. Lace is spotty. The aroma is pretty nice. There's definitely cocoa powder there. But it also smells like coffee grounds. And a little of that burnt malt character. The more I smell it, the more I like the smell. While the aroma is intense, the flavor is not so intense. I wouldn't say lifeless, but definitely on the watery side. The cocoa flavor is there, but it seems a little artificial. And it's seems like there is an acetic acid like tanginess on the aftertaste. Just a little. Not one of my favorites here.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled due to the kindness of gbontrag.

A clear brown colored beer with a thin tan head, decidedly looks more like a brown ale than a porter.

Smells like Italian Espresso flavored soda. Little sweet with a seltzer and Espresso aroma. Doesn't smell bad it just needs more complexity and layers.

Taste is a little sweet with a big Nestle quick chocolate flavor up front at the beginning. Very much a chocolate flavored beer with a much lesser taste of coffee in it. Main problem here is that this tastes like Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda. I happen to like that soda myself but it doesn't taste like beer.

Mouthfeel is very much soda.

A Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda version of beer. If you like that soda you will like this, if you don't you will hate this.

Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer from Tommyknocker Brewery