Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: russpowell on 11-09-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 441 | Reviews: 222
3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours up inky black with a tan head that dissipates quickly to a thin cap.

S - Smells of chocolate with a roasted malt background

T - The roasty malt flavor actually fights with the chocolate flavor. There's an odd flavor that I assume to be the honey added to the fermenter. It's light and sweet.

M - It's slightly thick and creamy

D - This is a drinkable winter warmer, but maybe not more than two or three. It leaves a ring of sugar on my lips. That gets old after a while.

1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased from Jungle Jim's, poured into a pint.

A: Deep brown pour that resembles root beer. 2 fingers of light tan head that's a bit fizzy. Decent retention and some nice lacing.

S: Light cola scent with plenty of cocoa powder. Lightly toasted coffee beans.

T/M: Pleasant sweetness from the cocoa but a weird sourness... like limeaid without sugar in it. Light body, medium carbonation.

D: I couldn't even finish it.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with a half-inch tan head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. The aroma is roasted malt and cocoa. The cocoa aroma is very strong, it smells like a cup of hot chocolate. It tastes mostly like hot chocolate does, well, except that the beer is a lot colder. There's also a milky/chalky taste too. Mouthfeel/body is medium, with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink. Alcohol isn't noticable at all. Because of the sweetness, at the most I think I could only drink 2-3 of these at a time. It's more of a dessert beer than a session beer. Overall I think it's pretty decent, but I can see how people wouldn't like the sweetness in this beer.

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance - Deep dark mahogany brown, with a tan head that quickly dissipates.

Smell - Very light aroma. Cocoa dominates, with a bit roast in the background.

Taste - Where to begin. There is a dominate artificial chocolate flavor with hints of roast. Also strong lactic and metallic flavors abound. Very little discernible malt flavor.

Mouthfeel - Thin and watery.

Overall this is a big fat disappointment. I have generally like Tommyknockers offerings, but this was a dud. The lactic and metallic flavors don't work with the chocolate flavor at all. This was the first drain pour in a while for me.

*Edit*

Looking over some notes from a retasting - the initial bottle I bought must have been from a bad batch. The last bottle didn't have the lactic/metalic taste. Artificial faux chocolate flavors still abound. This is still a dud, just not as bad as initially thought.

2.63/5  rDev -22%

Into a 12-oz tumbler, this beer pours out a brownish-black color with a small but fading tan head. I don't get much cocoa in the nose: instead, it smells like the coffee my mom drinks... Folger's coffee... maybe with a very light touch of chocolate. Cocoa does come through in the flavor, but it's just...overpowering. Like they dumped too much cocoa concentrate in. Bleagh, can't finish a single glass. Very disappointing beer.

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured a deep reddish-brown color with massive tannish head.
Smell is loaded with chocolate, way too much chocolate.
Taste is also loaded with disgustingly sweet chocolate tastes. I thought their maple beer was too sweet and this is just as bad.
Sweet at the finish, too sweet.
I had a tough time finisjing this one.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

$1.90 for a 12oz bottle at Jacks. On the front it says "roasted with cocoa powder and honey". On the back it says it's brewed with roasted cocoa beans, so I dunno what they actually used...powder or beans. Anywhoo, pours out to a limpid clear dark brown, with an odd greenish tint. Barely eeks ot a head which is quickly receding and leaves nary a wisp of lace. The aroma is rich with cocoa, and smells more like roasted cocoa nibs than cocoa powder. Kinda smells like a really funky Count Chocula cereal...that imitation cocoa character. The mouthfeel is slightly acidic and lightly chalky with a medium body. Taste begins with a strong cocoa flavor, then melds into a nicely balanced sweetness, vanilla, some light herbaceous bitterness, and some chalk in the finish. Touch of sawdust and fruity hand soap in the aftertaste. Alcohol isn't perceptable.

Hrmmm, I was surprised with this one. I like it, but wouldn't want to drink more than one or two at a sitting. Quite rich, yet quite interesting. I might buy one of these again, or at least tell my friends about it. Reminds me in many ways of the experimental Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

(Re-review 11/16/11)
$1.99 for a 12oz single @ BevCo. Brewed with 2-row, wheat, munich, 75 crystal, chocolate rye, chocolate malt. Hopped with mt. hood, sterling.
18 IBU, 5.7% ABV.

Pours out to a near black, forming a thin light tan head. Light sediment. Mild to moderate carbonation. The nose is pretty good...nice cocoa note, peculiar soapiness (maybe from the rye), delicate distant hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, lightly sweet, and a touch of chalk in the finish. The taste is quite good. Very easy to drink, with a nice balance of cocoa against the malt, and sweetness against the herbal hops and roasted malt flavors. Medium-light bodied. Hints of vanilla and black walnut.

I think this is pretty dang good. Easy to drink, not too heavy, with enough cocoa to stand out of the crowd. I would buy it again. L=3.5, A=4, T=4, MF=4, D=4.5

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a deep brown under a smallish off white head. Some retention, no lacing.

S: Sweet malt and cocoa powder. Reminds me of Cocoa Krispies, which I like, but don't have a desire to drink as a beer. Maybe a slight hint of roasted malt.

T: Some slight sweet and toasted malt and sour. Some cocoa character but not the rich chocolate one would expect. Slightest cardboard tone.

M/D: Not much carbonation to speak of and the body is medium but a thinner than desired in a porter. Drinkability isn't bad, as I could probably drink a few more, but I don't know that I would choose to drink much more than the 1 left in my fridge. This beer is a decent taste profile and a buffed up body away from being a semi-solid brew.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice medium brown with an average head.

S: Nice roasted malt with with hints of roasted malt and sweetened cocoa.

T: Not bad actually. Big sweet cocoa taste with a hint of vanilla. There is also a lactic quality about this one. It has a definite milky quality. Hot cocoa lovers will enjoy it.

M: Medium bodied with an above average carbonation.

D: Once bottle and done for me.

Overall: This would make a great dessert beer on a nice cool night. The chocolate taste is from additives opposed to malt but it is rather nice. I think this would be a beer that would be a nice gateway for someone expanding into darker brews, women included.

3.91/5  rDev +16%

Sreved from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark brown, but not opaque. Some pale ruby colors around the edges. Thin, tan head dissipates quickly, leaving minimal if any lace.

Aroma is mild roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee.

Flavor is slightly sweet cocoa, with some mild roasted malt and a touch of honey. Finishes with a dry cocoa characteristic, and maybe a little chalky. No bitterness to speak of.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Balance is good, and I agree with previous reviewers that the head and lacing could use some work. I originally had this in March on tap at the brewery, and if I had reviewed it then it would have gotten a much worse review....but this batch seems a lot better. Maybe it's just me, but it just seems to have more flavor and more of what I expected it to have the first time I tried it. Very pleasant, and certainly a good dessert beer. In any case, decent sessionable porter.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 26th, 2007: The beer is a dark chestnut color with a medium thin and rather fizzy light brown head that dissipates right away. Thin and spotty lacing. Cocoa aroma similar to opening a can of the powdered mix. Not much else to the aroma. Medium-bodied and lightly roasty with cocoa dominating the flavor as well. The finish is sweet cocoa and is chalky at times. Pretty much a one-trick pony.

1.72/5  rDev -49%

Pours just like a cola soda - dirty brown and extremely fizzy. Bad start right off the bat. Head barely had a chance to make a showing before it faded off into permanent oblivion. Some decent aromas of cocoa powder, roasted malts and sweet caramel can be barely detected. However, a very distracting and unpleasant sour or musty smell lingered in the background. Mouthfeel was just awful in everyway. Thin, watery with a stinging soda-like fizziness. Flavor very much like the nose but tougher to handle since you have to actually swallow this stuff. Some malty, caramel cocoa sweetness appears initially but is quicky followed by a fairly repulsive tart sourness. Perhaps I purchased a bad bottle and of course glad it wasn’t six; but serving this to your friends would be a good way to lose them!

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a dark dark brown, small head shrinking to nothing, no lacing, kind of boring. The aroma is also minimal, some standard porter qualities, the 'cocoa' brings some odd quality to it. Same with the taste, boring, artificial, and otherwise unappealing. I try not to write reviews simply giving a bad critique without any specifics, but I really couldn't get anything specific out of this, kind of just a vague ish. Not a fan.

1.32/5  rDev -60.8%

Served at 38F from 12 oz amber bottle into brandy glass.

Aroma at the bottle top was fetid and musty, but I've been tricked before by the first sniff, so still have an open mind about it.

Lovely pour of dark brown generating a lucious light tan head with fine foam and great persistence. Very encouraging.

Nose was of prune juice, maybe with a fleeting hint of coffee. Hmm...

Flavor was just dreadful. Can't even describe it except that it was really bad. Took a second swallow just to convince myself it really was that awful. It was. On the good side, it didn't actually make me wretch.

Drinkability: None. First drain pour of 2007.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

On-tap @ Capital Ale House Downtown. Served in a pint glass. Listed as 5.7%abv.

A- deep brown, cream white head w/ fast fade to some moderate lacing

S- sweet honey, cocoa/chocolate, dark malt

T- sweet honey dominates with cocoa powder underneath, tartness to finish

M- Light bodied, fair carbonation

D- A little too much honey. A definite powdery cocoa taste, as if you were making chocolate milk and didn't mix the powder all the way: a suspension instead of a solution. Sort of a mix between a winter warmer and a porter. Nothing special here.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle with Dec '06 freshness date. The head is 3 fingers high and light brown in color and has very good retention. The color is a dark brown with some light brown hi-lites.

There is a grassy, sweet aroma.

The taste is not similar to other porters that I have had with a taste more like white wine, sweet and honey flavored.

The mouthfeel is dry with a medium body and medium carbonation. Not your typical porter.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

There is a lot of chocolate in here but the most surprising and noticeable flavor is this sort of lactic sugar tartness. Was this intentional? I mean I know breweries frequently add lactose to there sweet stouts to produce this kind of flavor, but is that the case here? I guess it could be the result of the fermented honey that the back of the bottle states is in there, I dunno. Other than that flavor, there is some definite roastiness, tasty caramel and smooth cocoa towards the finish.

I was surprised by this one, but not put off. It really strikes me as more of a sweet/lacto stout because of that sour lactic acidity. But unless you really can’t stand that flavor, you’ll probably enjoy this brew.

Recommended…

2.17/5  rDev -35.6%

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter
12 oz brown bottle
January 07 notched on the side label. Enjoy within 4 months.
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a deep dark brown with a fluffy khaki colored head. Nice trails of sticky lace.

Whoa..the nose is sour and funky. Something is not right for the style.

The first second of the sip starts promising, but turns to a sour mess. A touch of dark roasted malts with a touch of chocolate malts presence. The ending flavors are out of whack. Strong sour lime fruit mix. The mouthfeel and balance are just way to "off". Borderline drain pour.

I really enjoyed the Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale, but this one is a letdown. Pass.

2.36/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours good enough, although very little head. No lacing at all to speak of.
Nose is kinda nondescript with no notes of cocoa or anything else worth describing.
The mouthfeel was average at best and the taste, well, very dissapointing. Slight maltiness with almost a cocoa powder like taste. Not real pleasant at all.
I guess, its worth a try out of sheer curiosity alone. Otherwise, its best left alone.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Wow, I'm not sure where all the bad vibes are coming from for this beer. While I am not a big chocolate guy, I found it to be pretty interesting.
The head is nice and solid, and the aroma has mainly cocoa, with a tinge of honey maybe.
I didn't get the sourness or bitterness many others got. Sure, there is a bit of bitterness from the cocoa, but since it is a side-effect of the cocoa flavor which predominates, it's not off-putting.
Don't get me wrong, the beer is not spectacular, but it's also not as bad as everyone else at BeerAdvocate has made it out to be..

2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

S: Toasted malt, a little honey and very sweet plus odd metallic

A: Very dark brown, not a see thru, nearly black? Unusual. Good head with typical lace.

M: Bite of sweet, otherwise, average creaminess and bitterness

T: I'll try to be fair here. The toasted malt mixes well with the flavors but the flavors don't taste good together. The cocoa powder tastes just like that, added to a dark beer, and the honey could be tasted making this sweet, but I've had a taste like this way back when I was in social studies, and we were reviewing Aztec countries, and my teacher bought in some cocoa powder and mixed it with water. Bitter as all hell but not in a good way. This would be the taste of this beer. Dec '06 was the BOD, so it couldn't be from age.

Okay, I don't know what they were trying to get at when they brewed this, but it's not for me. Because it was a dark, it didn't get a drain pour.

1.59/5  rDev -52.8%

Cocoa? Honey? Porter? This beer sounded too exciting for me not to buy! Maybe I should've read the other comments first... yeesh. Onto the review!

Appearance: Things start off reasonably nice, and if I hadn't been warned as to what was coming, I'd say that things look promising for this beer. Decent size head tops a near opaque brown brew.

Smell: Smells like burning! Deep roasted (scorched?) malts dominate the nose with hints of sour apple (!) coming through. Yikes.

Taste: Sour. Tastes infected. I can kind of pick up the cocoa flavors, at least in my first few gulps. But as I reach the bottom of the glass, this bad funky sourness overpowers everything.

Mouthfeel: It's kind of hard to isolate a mouthfeel rating when you're choking down something like this. I guess it's not too bad, maybe a little thin for a porter. Carbonation seems okay though.

Drinkability: Nope. One and done. I will not be buying this again. Ever.

It's a shame. As a homebrewer and a porter lover, a cocoa honey porter sounds just like the kind of concoction I'd try and whip up myself, but this really wasn't executed well at all. The cocoa is there, but severely veiled, and the honey wasn't detectable at all. I just hope this wasn't what the brewer was going for. I'm glad I only had one bottle.

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

A - this porter pours a dark dark black with a half finger of tan head, only sparse carbonation clinging to the side

S - cocoa, near coffee aroma dominates of course, almost bready aroma as well

T - way to sour, sheesh, why is this so sour, like the cocoa is pure cocoa, with no extra sugar, a harsh bitter-sourness,

M&D - it needs some lactic sweetness and it would be kick ass, too chewy, i actually poured the remainder of this out, a rarity for me

2.09/5  rDev -38%

Dull, turbid, reddish brown with reddish orange edges. The head looks much better than the beer. It's three full fingers in size, golden sandstone in color and richly creamy in texture. A thin blanket of lace covers most of the available glass. The appearance score will have to be a compromise of cap and crown.

Something seems seriously off-kilter with respect to the nose. Cocoa Porter doesn't smell like cocoa or a porter. I can't come up with any sort of coherent description, it just doesn't smell very good. I can't believe that the brewers intended to give this beer this nose, so something must have gone wrong with the batch.

Not good. Not good at all. Sour and metallic are the first off-flavors to make it from taste buds to brain. Tommyknocker can't be serious calling this beer a cocoa porter. Again, like the nose, it tastes like neither. Perhaps it's the honey that's screwing things up, but I doubt it. Honey doesn't taste like this... unless it's rancid.

If I didn't see the 'bottled on' date of November '06 on the label, I would have suspected that I got ahold of an old bottle. That's because it tastes like a beer that's way past its prime. The more I drink, the more I'm sure that this beer never had a prime. There's very little malt present and I'm even struggling to appreciate any of the added cocoa powder.

The mouthfeel is thin, thinner, thinnest. That, as much as anything, tells me that something is amiss here. A few more bubbles would have resulted in more life in terms of the mouthfeel, but even that couldn't have come close to bringing things up to average.

Cocoa Porter is Tommyknocker's worst beer by a country mile. I've been somewhat impressed with most of their offerings, even if they aren't world beaters. This one, though, needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd like something bold and colorful next time, rather than the faint, smeary outline of a beer that I've been struggling to finish for the past 30 minutes.

2.32/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance: Hazy dark brown body, moderate tan head fades fast.

Smell: Sour fruit and a little cocoa. Maybe infected?

Taste: Cocoa is there, but the beer overall is tart and sour. Bottle is within freshness date, so I am not sure if this is intentional or not. Pretty funky and off tasting, this is not my favorite beer.

Drinkability: A big pass as is, I don't know if it was bad or not, though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer from Tommyknocker Brewery