Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: russpowell on 11-09-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Wow, I'm not sure where all the bad vibes are coming from for this beer. While I am not a big chocolate guy, I found it to be pretty interesting.
The head is nice and solid, and the aroma has mainly cocoa, with a tinge of honey maybe.
I didn't get the sourness or bitterness many others got. Sure, there is a bit of bitterness from the cocoa, but since it is a side-effect of the cocoa flavor which predominates, it's not off-putting.
Don't get me wrong, the beer is not spectacular, but it's also not as bad as everyone else at BeerAdvocate has made it out to be.. (569 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

S: Toasted malt, a little honey and very sweet plus odd metallic

A: Very dark brown, not a see thru, nearly black? Unusual. Good head with typical lace.

M: Bite of sweet, otherwise, average creaminess and bitterness

T: I'll try to be fair here. The toasted malt mixes well with the flavors but the flavors don't taste good together. The cocoa powder tastes just like that, added to a dark beer, and the honey could be tasted making this sweet, but I've had a taste like this way back when I was in social studies, and we were reviewing Aztec countries, and my teacher bought in some cocoa powder and mixed it with water. Bitter as all hell but not in a good way. This would be the taste of this beer. Dec '06 was the BOD, so it couldn't be from age.

Okay, I don't know what they were trying to get at when they brewed this, but it's not for me. Because it was a dark, it didn't get a drain pour. (909 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -51.4%

Cocoa? Honey? Porter? This beer sounded too exciting for me not to buy! Maybe I should've read the other comments first... yeesh. Onto the review!

Appearance: Things start off reasonably nice, and if I hadn't been warned as to what was coming, I'd say that things look promising for this beer. Decent size head tops a near opaque brown brew.

Smell: Smells like burning! Deep roasted (scorched?) malts dominate the nose with hints of sour apple (!) coming through. Yikes.

Taste: Sour. Tastes infected. I can kind of pick up the cocoa flavors, at least in my first few gulps. But as I reach the bottom of the glass, this bad funky sourness overpowers everything.

Mouthfeel: It's kind of hard to isolate a mouthfeel rating when you're choking down something like this. I guess it's not too bad, maybe a little thin for a porter. Carbonation seems okay though.

Drinkability: Nope. One and done. I will not be buying this again. Ever.

It's a shame. As a homebrewer and a porter lover, a cocoa honey porter sounds just like the kind of concoction I'd try and whip up myself, but this really wasn't executed well at all. The cocoa is there, but severely veiled, and the honey wasn't detectable at all. I just hope this wasn't what the brewer was going for. I'm glad I only had one bottle. (1,299 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

A - this porter pours a dark dark black with a half finger of tan head, only sparse carbonation clinging to the side

S - cocoa, near coffee aroma dominates of course, almost bready aroma as well

T - way to sour, sheesh, why is this so sour, like the cocoa is pure cocoa, with no extra sugar, a harsh bitter-sourness,

M&D - it needs some lactic sweetness and it would be kick ass, too chewy, i actually poured the remainder of this out, a rarity for me (461 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -36.1%

Dull, turbid, reddish brown with reddish orange edges. The head looks much better than the beer. It's three full fingers in size, golden sandstone in color and richly creamy in texture. A thin blanket of lace covers most of the available glass. The appearance score will have to be a compromise of cap and crown.

Something seems seriously off-kilter with respect to the nose. Cocoa Porter doesn't smell like cocoa or a porter. I can't come up with any sort of coherent description, it just doesn't smell very good. I can't believe that the brewers intended to give this beer this nose, so something must have gone wrong with the batch.

Not good. Not good at all. Sour and metallic are the first off-flavors to make it from taste buds to brain. Tommyknocker can't be serious calling this beer a cocoa porter. Again, like the nose, it tastes like neither. Perhaps it's the honey that's screwing things up, but I doubt it. Honey doesn't taste like this... unless it's rancid.

If I didn't see the 'bottled on' date of November '06 on the label, I would have suspected that I got ahold of an old bottle. That's because it tastes like a beer that's way past its prime. The more I drink, the more I'm sure that this beer never had a prime. There's very little malt present and I'm even struggling to appreciate any of the added cocoa powder.

The mouthfeel is thin, thinner, thinnest. That, as much as anything, tells me that something is amiss here. A few more bubbles would have resulted in more life in terms of the mouthfeel, but even that couldn't have come close to bringing things up to average.

Cocoa Porter is Tommyknocker's worst beer by a country mile. I've been somewhat impressed with most of their offerings, even if they aren't world beaters. This one, though, needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd like something bold and colorful next time, rather than the faint, smeary outline of a beer that I've been struggling to finish for the past 30 minutes. (1,978 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance: Hazy dark brown body, moderate tan head fades fast.

Smell: Sour fruit and a little cocoa. Maybe infected?

Taste: Cocoa is there, but the beer overall is tart and sour. Bottle is within freshness date, so I am not sure if this is intentional or not. Pretty funky and off tasting, this is not my favorite beer.

Drinkability: A big pass as is, I don't know if it was bad or not, though. (404 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -52.9%

Beers like this always intrigue me but this one is pretty bad. The score should be worse than the total probably but I had to rate the appearance fairly and it "looks" good in the glass...it's just the rest of the experience that is disappointing.

A-Dark brown...vanilla white head on top

S-A lot of the green apple aroma..a small scent of coca perhaps..

T-The predominant impression is a sour green apple puckering flavor. Cocoa powder and honey might be in this but it is so overriden by the sour flavor it is completely secondary...As it warms some of the cocoa emerges a little (enough to move it up from a 1.0 to a 1.5)

M-On the light side of medium bodied...not big winter warmer by any means.

D-Not for me. One of the worst beers I've had in awhile (770 characters)

Appearance:
The beer is a ruby hued mahogany. The pour is flat and void of any head.

Smell:
The scent is that of a freshly opened packet of swiss miss. It's powdery and only mildly chocolate in nature.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks dry and powdery and once again tastes like cheap packets of hot cocoa. It's not an awful pairing given the character of porter but it's certainly not amazing in any way shape or form. The overwhelming powdered cocoa notes carry far in to the finish.

Drinkability:
Not quite as satisfying as hot cocoa nor beer. Just another one of those "WHY?" beers.

Bottom Line:
Bless them for trying but this beer is totally mediocre. Everything I like about porter is shadowed over by the powdered cocoa taste. (754 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Deep amber brown, almost impenetrable to light, with a small white head, which retains well, and thin, finely-beaded lacing.

Aroma: Dark fruits vie with bitter cocoa for supremacy, with notes of vanilla as well.

Taste: Mild chocolate at the open, a bit like NesQuik, or Chocolate Soldier. Midway through the taste a green apple sourness appears, which lingers to the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with soda-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: The pronounced sourness is suggestive of infection, but I wonder as a number of other reviewers have noted it as well. Perhaps this is simply poorly made. (635 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Seasons greetings to russpowell for sending me this...

Winter beers are often all about spices and indulgence. No doubt, this one has those in abundance. There are lots of flavors, but they don't all fit well together. The beer is a bit of a collage, with the flavors all fighting like puppies breastfeeding to be heard among a bunch of stock traders shouting each other down--I Love Mixed Metaphors! In other words, the flavors don't blend.

I think that this seasonal has a lot of potential, but that it needs some tweaking. Right now, the honey is just too overwhelming. (578 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -52.9%

This was definitely a drain pour. Although I might have refrained from a bad review if this one a one bottle mishap, I see that it is more widespread than my sixpack. The smell was the best part of this beverage, after that, it tasted of cocoa flanders brown ale gone bad. The acetic acid was overwhelming to the point of undrinkability and I am a big fan of sour beers (I believe this one was unintentional) If you could possiby get by the vinegar flavor, the beer was thin and too overly dominated by what seemed like artificial flavor. (538 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy brown body. Thin light brown head. Lace is spotty. The aroma is pretty nice. There's definitely cocoa powder there. But it also smells like coffee grounds. And a little of that burnt malt character. The more I smell it, the more I like the smell. While the aroma is intense, the flavor is not so intense. I wouldn't say lifeless, but definitely on the watery side. The cocoa flavor is there, but it seems a little artificial. And it's seems like there is an acetic acid like tanginess on the aftertaste. Just a little. Not one of my favorites here. (553 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled due to the kindness of gbontrag.

A clear brown colored beer with a thin tan head, decidedly looks more like a brown ale than a porter.

Smells like Italian Espresso flavored soda. Little sweet with a seltzer and Espresso aroma. Doesn't smell bad it just needs more complexity and layers.

Taste is a little sweet with a big Nestle quick chocolate flavor up front at the beginning. Very much a chocolate flavored beer with a much lesser taste of coffee in it. Main problem here is that this tastes like Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda. I happen to like that soda myself but it doesn't taste like beer.

Mouthfeel is very much soda.

A Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda version of beer. If you like that soda you will like this, if you don't you will hate this. (786 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottled 11/10/06

A: Pours a solid brown color with a small bubbly head. Very light lacing.

S: Smells like cocoa mix and a bit of cappachino.

T: Chocolately and somewhat sweet with an earthy quality. The taste is subtle and plain, but overall, it tastes good.

M: Medium-light in body with a smooth creamy texture.

D: Not outstanding, but a decent brew. The flavor should be widely accessible for the unrefined palate and should satisfy even those with better taste. An all-around solid brew. (506 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle is dated 11/10/06.

This beer is different. It might be great for some and taste just awful to others. I think the blending of flavors is not done to perfection and at times the flavors actually clash. Cocoa and honey? Not the best combination to begin with if you ask me. Would you put honey in hot cocoa?

It pours a deep amber with a pretty decent head. You can really smell the cocoa and not much else. Maybe a hint of roasted malts. The taste is also of cocoa, with some hop bitterness. Truthfully the flavor combination could be mistaken for a sourness which I do not think is there. If you don't think of it as sour and think of it as what it is...all is well.

I would not recommend this beer. Unfortunately I bought a sixer. It's not going to go to waste but I won't be looking forward to the next 5. (863 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -57.5%

All I have to start with, is this is the closest I’ve ever come to a drain pour. It tastes really sour. It’s like eating a hershey kiss and a lemonhead at the same time. Don’t really get this beer. The smell is as bad as the taste. The only thing going for it, is it doesn’t look that nasty sitting in the glass. Which gets you to drink it. I kept on taking drinks thinking there’s no way it’s as bad as I think it is. This thing is a mess! (446 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +4%

This is a pretty fun take on a winter warmer/chocolate beer.
Pours a cloudy medium-brown color. It's not as dark as I might have expected. Roughly like a Weizenbock. Looks a little like a light colored ale spiked with cocoa powder ...which might be the case.
Smell is almost all cocoa. It's got the typical beer yeast smell so you're not going to confuse it with hot chocolate, but there's very little else to it.
Flavor's quite good. The first sip is a sweet chocolate zing followed by a sourness that surprised me although some other Tommyknocker beers seem to have it, too. On the back end it has a warm milk chocolate flavor. At the same time, the malt's definitely there and it's clear that the actual backbone isn't as weak as you might initially expect.
Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I figured, but it actually makes the beer very drinkable. It goes down very easily and after finishing a bottle I wanted another right away. That's always a good sign.
It's not a world beater, but it's still a good beer for the season.

EDIT: What's odd is that after the first try of this beer I find myself liking it less and less. However after a year I liked the first bottle of the second batch, too. I'd say that it's just one of those beers unique enough to trick your palate a little, but you'll get sick of it quickly.

I think I wish this was in bombers instead of a six pack. A bottle to split would be nice, but 6 is a bit much for this. (1,445 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +42.2%

This was a very fun beer. Upon the opening there was a major aroma of chocolate. Very nice, different.
Tha taste was very pleasent. This was a fun beer to drink because it was so different. This is a seasonla release and would make a great addition to a hliday party. I also had this on draft was also equally pleased.
I reccomend this beer! (344 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -59.3%

My first impression is: this beer stinks! As in = it smells really really bad. For whatever reason, the scent is of moldy wet burnt carpet. Ick. On the bright side, it looks good. Very dark and the mocha head stays around. I think that's about the only positive thing I have to say about this one. The taste is bad. Its sweet and syrupy and kind of nauseating. Something just doesnt taste right. I dont know what happened here. I want to believe I got a bad bottle. I split this with my girlfriend and could barely finish my 6 ounces. (534 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 10/13/06. Pours a dark reddish-brown with a thin and fizzy tan head that quickly diminishes to a collar.

The aroma is sweet, slightly roasted, chocolate (hot chocolate) and some coffee and honey.

The flavor is mostly just the sweet, slighlty roasted,chocolate. There's a little honey in there, and a sour coffee twang at the end. The mouthfeel is thinnish and watery with little carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer, albeit one dimensional. If you like sweetened chocolate, this may be for you. The sourness detracts from it a bit. (570 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +11.9%

New in town. Saw it at World of Beer and Beer World of Largo. VERY chocolate/cocoa accented. High concentration invokes cocoa powder and makes me want it warmed up with little marshmellows in it. Dark brown to ruddy black with a quickly diminishing mocha head. Big cocoa blast in the fore. Thinnish body. Almost has the feel of istant hot chocolate. If thicker with a few more other flavor notes this could be pretty good. It’s just seriously basic as it is, but quite tasty if you like cocoa and if that is what you want then this is a solid beer. I have to confess that personally it is a flavor I rather enjoy so whil it aint a Porter I’d want to have on my deathbed it is tasty, to me. (691 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +15.3%

Born on/best consumed date of oct 14 06 (Best consumed within 4 months according to the label). Claims to be a winter warmer, but probably just taking liberties with the term. No where on the label does it say St. Nick& is completely different than the one displayed, shame i suck at computer stuff. Using my ignorant tastebuds, I'd ballpark this at about 5.6%abv

Pours deep chestnut/mahogany with a 1.5 finger of offwhite head. Some thin film & some spits of lacing on the glass

S: Bigtime cocoa up front, then a hint of roast grain. A little breadyness & a whisper of cinamon& just a little bit of alcohol burn on the finish

T: Choclate & some lactose notes up front, then a few hints of burnt grains & then some brown sugar. Some warming notes & breadyness come through as the ale warms. Dryness is the main that I get from the honey that's added. More cocoa, a hint of maple syrup & dryness in the finish

MF: Slight slickness & low-low carbonation . Skews a little sweet to me

Drinks really easy, not something to get lost in deep thought with, but still works with the cool weather. Miles better than say, breckenridge porter. Works as a nice change of pace. Not bad, liked their rye-porter better when I was at the BP (1,239 characters)

first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last