Hop Strike Black IPA - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Black Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kirkpjr on 06-04-2010)
1.25/5  rDev -66.6%

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

Picked up a bottle in the single section at Lukas. Undated. Poured to pint glass. The beer pours a deep murky brown almost black color with a 1 finger head with extremely limited retention and no lacing. In the light the edges appear a mahogany mocha color. The nose is set by a foundation of roasted malts from which a citrus hop character expands. However in the middle of the aroma a distinct raisin character begins to dominate. Not pleasant. Overall the nose is a bit muted. The taste starts out nicely with a strong roasted malt foundation again from which the citrus hop emerges. However, just like the nose the unpleasant raisin flavor emerges and dominates the palette. So much so that I can't detect other flavors. Medium bodied and relatively smooth but the flavor is overbearing and ruins this beer.
I must have had an old beer or mishandled beer based on the ratings other have posted, as this is not good. At all. My favorite style or beer, and a beer I likely won't return to.

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

I usually love black IPAs, but not this one.

This beer has an unpleasant smell. It tastes a bit better than it smells, but the taste is at once dry (the dry like it makes you thirsty dry) and oddly sweet. No hoppy burst like you hope to get out of an IPA.

Drinkable, but I would never reach for it again, and I'm glad I bought only a single bottle to check it out.

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

I almost never buy tommyknocker beers but I thought what the hell since I am a sucker for IPA's. Dark brown/black in color with a decent head and lacing. It has a skunked smell to it that must be from hops but I do not find it pleasant at all and I enjoy a nice dank smell, this was ewww, colombus hops? The flavor was a little citrus from the hops, chocolate and the rye must be messing with me because I then get a smoky nastiness, just not good at all. It gets slightly better as it warms but overall I would not buy this again.

2.35/5  rDev -37.2%

12oz bottle. Pours a dark brown with a smallish off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet roasted malts, rye and a little chocolate.

The flavor is heavy tarry bitter roast with some sweet malt, and some rye comes out in the strong bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, the flavors don't mesh at all. It just tastes weird with the harsh tarry bitterness, spicy rye and sweet malt.

2.44/5  rDev -34.8%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

2.6/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance: This is either one of the darkest rye's available, or it is a black IPA with special attention to the black part. It is not quite opaque, can see the other side of the living room when held up to the light, but it is a nice dark mahogany. The sandy head built to about one finger of foam. It is okay.

Smell: Quite the interesting profile; there is pepper and a roasted smell, almost like roast beef, that must be the rye in the nose. Almost no hops, unless they are blending with that extremely weird rye smell. I am not sure this is going to be my thing.

Taste: And...This is not my thing. For a black IPA, it really does not do anything right. The dark malts are not making any interesting contributions, and the hops are not here, or they are buried. And the rye is just making this...weird taste, like a roasted meat flavor. It has the sour bitterness of an IPA, but with the roasted / burnt malt flavor, it is just not gelling.

Mouth feel: It is a medium to light mouth feel thanks to the carbonation: it is not watered down which is nice. The aftertaste is a mess of bitterness and alcohol. Why I get burn in a seven percent ABV brew is anyone's guess.

Overall: I appreciate that Tommyknocker was running with this idea of a good, hoppy rye beer, and I wish it worked for me. But whatever this was, it did not work. Maybe try some different hops that gel better with the rye? Or get away from that roasted malt and try a sweeter, or bready malt.

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 10/29/11

Best by January 30 '12

Dark brown with deep grape juice colored highlights. Ample head crests at two and a half fingers and recedes slowly raised trails of lace across the glass. Thin layer of retentive bubbles.

The aroma is a tame sort - mild notes of pine and earthy hops with a hefty malt presence. Toasted rye bread, cocoa powder and hints of roasted dark chocolate. Not bad, but lacking emphasis.

The taste is pretty lackluster as well. hops seem downplayed and those that are there carry little more than a generic generic earth/pine combo. Hints of roasted chocolate in the back. The rye was used with a heavy hand it seems, and seriously clusters up this already yawn-er of a beer. Toasty with a moderate rye spice on the finish.

Decently fleshed out feel; higher side of medium body. Moderate carbonation stays out of the spotlight. It's certainly on the dry side.

Overall impression - this is a lower mid-range "Black IPA" that doesn't benefit from rye malt.

2.73/5  rDev -27%

I had a bottle with the new logo design, so it was relatively new and fresh.

A. kind of black/brown
S. A little hoppy, a touch of coffee, but nothing too strong on the nose.
T. I didn't pull anything resembling an IPA out of this. Was like the hops were left out. I am not sure if the bottle was bad, or this was how it usually is.
M. a little bubbly, otherwise, nothing stood out, but nothing was off putting with it.
O. If anyone can tell me that I had a bad bottle, I would be happy to try it again. I like black IPAs a lot, and was disappointing with it. I am just hoping it was a bad bottle, and not a bad recipe.

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a dark ruby red color, 1 finger of fizzy tan head, little lacing.
S - Smell is bad, I mean real bad, reeks of overly sweet dark cherries, a lot like cough syrup, ammonia, no hop aroma what so ever. There's a little bit of old coffee grounds, some very confusing and somewhat roasted malt scents.
T - There's definitely diacetyl here, raisins, a little plum, some stale coffee, bittersweet chocolate, cherry cough drop.
M - Thin, fizzy, stick and sweet all in the same.
O - Over the course of a few years I've given Tommyknocker the benefit of the doubt every time I've tried something of theirs. And every time I've poured their beer down the drain. I know this sounds snobbish, but they really have no clue what they're doing. I wish I could get proven wrong, but this is supposed to be a black IPA. There's no discernible hop traits at all, heck its name is "Hop Strike"! There's barely any good traits for a black ale either. The aroma is offensive and the taste doesnt make up for it.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

The aroma is an interesting mix of chocolate, rye, and a bunch of grapefruit. The color is quite nice, too. Pitch black with some maroon around the edges. The grapefruit is all over the flavor as well. The rye is nice, and I do get some chocolate, but the finish is like I just drank a glass of grapefruit juice.

Not my favorite Black IPA. I wanted more of the "black" side of things and the grapefruit is way too much for my taste.

2.91/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

It'd be pretty odd to strike a vein of hop cones whilst pickaxing through a mine shaft, eh? Anyway, this stuff pours a dark garnet-brown topped by a finger of glowing off-cream foam. The nose comprises toasted malts, pine sap, light molasses, and sour grapefruit rind. There's a strangely acrid quality in there, despite the thick pall of roasty sweetness up front. The taste continues this harsh dichotomy, stark proof that disagreements far too often lead to battles, rather than orchestrated discussion. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a generally unattractive and clashy black IPA, the two things you wanna avoid when brewing the style.

Hop Strike Black IPA from Tommyknocker Brewery