Hop Strike Black IPA - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Black Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kirkpjr on 06-04-2010)
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice cola like color with a khaki colored one to one and a half finger head which gives way to a nice tight head of retention. The are rings of lace up and down the glass, very nice look to this beer. The aroma is of coco and roasted malts along with rye spiciness and hints of citrus. The taste has a nice rye spiciness over top of a dark chocolate malt taste. There is also a hint of dark fruits. The end is finished up with a slight citrus hop bite. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it is very enjoyable but it didn't do anything over the top. Its a beer to like but not to love.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Passed on this one in the 16 ounce bottle for about 4 bucks, due to price/lack of interest. Now that this one is available in a more reasonably priced six pack, I decided to try it. Poured a dark brown color with a moderate tan head. Aromas of chocolate, roasted malt and pine. On the palate, this one is medium bodied, with flavors of coffee, roasted malt and hops.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A-Deep brown with ruby accents..

S-Some cocoa malt and earthy hops..a bit spicy

T-Really a nicely flavored beer. You've got the a bit of spicy rye (just a bit though...certainly not overpowering)...also stronger notes of roasted malts and cocoa powder....medium strength earthy hops..light spiciness from the rye

M-medium to full bodied...a little sticky but that's alright

O-This has to be the best Toomyknocker beer I have had. It all comes together very nicely and this is a beer I would love to drink just about anytime. Not saying it is epic but still very enjoyable and tasty. Rye is somewhat weak but it still tastes good.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A- A very dark brown with just a bit of light coming through at the edges. The mocha head is creamy and thick with excellent retention.

S- Cocoa, citrus hops, some fruitiness, and a touch of smoke. Rather enjoyable, actually.

T- Passion fruit, citrus, and a touch of cocoa and smoke. There is a definitely a rye characteristic to it as well.

M- Pretty smooth just just a bit of a lasting bitterness on the finish.

O- This is a pretty tasty beer. Surpassed my expectations of a beer that I have kept in my fridge for a few months. Worth trying.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Bottle pored into a Stolzle Glass.

A: being a black IPA, I was expecting something like rootbeer, but it reminded me a little more of cola

S: Very subtle, not as fruity or floral as the big hoppy beers. Seemed a little foreshadowing.

T: Definitely not a strike! The hops were fruity, slight grapefruit, but not overpowering like I was expecting from the name.

M: The mouthfeel was really good, the light carbonation made it super drinkable.

Overall: good to have had given to me but I don't think I'd go out and buy some. Left something to be desired.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a wide flute glass. Dark brown with a reddish hue and a two inch dirty white head that quickly fells to a quarter inch.

Smells of rich roasted malt, a little chocolate and some citrus. Very pleasant.

Unfortunately the taste does not follow the smell. Watery, light roasted malt and a little burnt malt. There is some citrus bitterness and a touch of rye spice. It is too subtle.

Light body, moderate carbonation.

It is the first black rye IPA I have come across and I like it for that. I wish it had some more flavor to it, more rye or malt, either one would work well.

I got a single of Hop Strike for $4.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been starting to get into Black IPA's so when I saw Tommyknocker had a rye version I knew I had to give it a try. No visible bottling date, all their other beers had one and this one should too. Poured from a brown 16oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it is much better then the ones in their variety pack. It poured a deep dark brown almost black color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that left some nice lacing.

S- I pick up lots of nice piney hops with a slight bit of citrus mixed in there. The hops are followed by some dark roasted malts and a hint of rye. There is a nice balance of piney hops and roasted malts.

T- The taste starts off with some nice roasted malts mixed in with some rye. The roasted malts impart some nice bittersweet chocolate and coffee flavors, when mixed with the rye it makes for a pretty good base flavor. The hops are not as piney as they were in the nose and lean more towards the citrus side of things, there is some nice grapefruit flavors in there. The finish is pretty mild and not as bitter as I expected. The flavors meld well together.

M- Creamy and medium bodied with a dry finish. Carbonation was pretty good and right where it should be.

Overall this was a pretty good beer, it showcases how versatile Rye beers can be and how well hops can compliment it. Everything was pretty much spot on for the style and the addition of rye put a nice subtle spin on a Black IPA. It could have used just a little more bitterness on the finish but everything ended up pretty balanced and complex. I would buy this again when in the mood for a black IPA, but I think I like Furry just a little bit more. If you like black IPA's, give this one a try. I am starting to be a fan of Tommyknocker, their mixed six was good and so was this beer, I wonder what else they have to offer.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

16oz bottle poured into duvel tulip.

A: Big two finger light tan head. Very dark in color, can't see through this one. Sticky lacing.
S: Some spicy citrusy hops, lots of dark roasted malt.
T: Starts big and malty. Very light touch of hops to finish, I was hoping for more of a hoppy bitter finish.
M: Medium to light mouthfeel, finishes with a slight bitterness.
O: Overall this was just okay for me. I would love to re-review fresh on tap.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Appears black, but really is a fairly translucent dark brown, in color. Light tan head sits as a stark contrast against the dark beer below. Good lacing; decent retention.

S: Roasted malts, coffee, pine and a little citrus.

T: Blend of roasted malt bitterness with a pine resin bitterness. Long roasted malt finish.

M: A bit thin for the style. Good carbonation. Bitterness sits on the tongue.

O: Lackluster and simplistic, but the drinkability is good. I just feel as if something is missing from this beer.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks Krista!

A - An aggressive pour reveals a medium tan head of a couple inches in height. The body is is a deep chocolate colored brown allowing only minimal light through.

S - Yummy pine hops. This is the smell I love in an IPA, why not in a Rye as well.

T - The ballance between the hops and the malt is nearly too much upon my initial sip. As I delve further I pick up hints of cocoa opposite bitter citrus hops. There is certainly a maly presence here and I have to say hops work well with it.

M - Watery texture with a hint of fine sandpaperin the finish.

~ Let me start out by saying I am not the biggest fan of Colorado beers. I know that sounds like an unfair statement, and it probably is. However, I would definitely recommend this to my friends. I'm grateful to my wonderful wife for picking this one from a shelve of hundreds.

I was just a bit let-down that the rye aspect of the beer did not shine through more, but, overall, a good beer nonetheless. Some caramel notes and moderate roast to the malt. Hopping was sharp and I would put this in the black IPA category, where brewers are starting to express a bit of creativity - this seems a black IPA with rye.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Hop Strike fulfills the categorical style of a Black IPA. I think it would be a good style definer in taste tests to show newbies where the center of the catchers mitt is soft. It lacks only an effort to accentuate a character of the style; meaning the special attention that brewers labor for when trying to get someone in the choir to solo. I think this beer is well made for the Black IPA style, technically.

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Big thanks to Jesse13713 for this beer; yet another want/cool local he sent in our trade.

Pours a dark caramel toned black with a healthy three-finger off white head that froths big time, and is cake-like with lots of rockiness. Leaves excellent lace and has phenomenal retention. Great looking head, and pretty good looking body.

Spicy chocolate malt is dominant in the smell, with some black pepper and dark chocolate coming out the most. Citrus and tropical fruit are much lesser but are there for sure.

Boy this beer tastes delicious. Spicy rye, dark roasted malt, rich chocolate, with crisp fruit in the background. The black IPA style seems to be very polarizing, but I can't get enough of it, especially with the added rye complexity. The malt is coffee like at the end, making the finish clean along with the hops.

Mouthfeel is crisp, smooth, and thinner than you'd expect from a dark beer like this. The malts are hidden well in terms of the feel, especially considering how strongly they taste. Could be a bit fuller though. Drinkability is excellent due to the dry end and the flavors are balanced enough that the beer remains easy to down til the end. Great beer, shame it was brewed only once (according to this site anyways).

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

Bought this in a 16 oz bottle at Applejacks in Denver. I like the 16 oz size. It's not a bomber you need to plow through to finish, but gladly more than a 12 oz'er.

Appearance: Dark, dark. Close to black. Held at armslength, some red comes through. About a finger of fine bubble head that stuck around long enough for 4-5 sips.

Smell: Not a lot going on. Some hops. Hint of rye?

Taste: A bit of malt up front, then you get the rye, but just a hint. I was waiting for a Reuben sandwich! The label says chocolate rye, but I didn't get the chocolate. The finish is hops, but just a bit, and the after taste is back to malt and rye. Generally, the flavors meld well and nothing is overwhelming. With a name like "hop strike", I figured it'd be in your face hops, but its all very subtle, but quite good.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation. Good.

Drinkability: Very. I could see having a few of these.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

big thanks to kirkpjr for this one.

poured cold from a 16oz bottle an opaque dark cola brown with ruby highlights to a dogfish head shaped pint glass with a small bubbled, super frothy two finger tan head with nice retention and lacing to the rim.

big aroma picked up a foot and a half away of grapefruit hops fading to a hint of tropical hops.

wow. very interesting brew. grapefruit hops way up in front upon the first sip, but sweet, rather than anywhere even remotely near bitter. as the sip finishes there's just a bit of bitter near the back of the tongue. only my second foray with a rye beer (short's / rich's rye being the first), this is much smoother than expected. a good drinking beer. subtle hints of black coffee, but nothing more than a hint.

medium bodied, medium carbonation, smooth and creamy - alternatively sweet and mild bitter toward the back of the tongue - moreso as the beer warms a tad.

drinkable - yeah - wish i had another.

Pours a deep amber to brown in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, grapefruit hops. In the taste, grapefruity hops and a small coffee like roast. A small hop bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry grapefruity hop in the aftertaste. Light body and a big hop. I liked it alot.

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

$4.25 16 oz bottle from Abe's.

Black body with brown highlights, topped by a hefty slab of tan bubbles of all sizes.

Low key aroma, but I seem to be getting hints of coffee, chocolate, citrus, and rye.

Taste starts with notes of rye mixed with coffee, followed by a mild hop bite at the swallow. But its all too blended and not distinct characteristics.

Medium mouthfeel carries things along nicely.

Drinks fine, but not something I'll look to have again.

More and more I question the whole black IPA style, and throwing another component in made for even less clarity. If you're in to BIPAs give it a try, otherwise, I'm not so sure.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours dark brown with not much of a tan head. It doesn't have much of an aroma. The taste is good, with the spicy rye followed by hops (95ibu) and finishing with caramel. The mouthfeel is what I like with this one: the carbonation is pretty big here and coupled with the spiciness of the rye, this is really a kick in the teeth. I don't think I could drink much more than one bottle. A really different black IPA. Hard to compare with others of the same style without the rye.

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

This is a freaking great beer. I'm going to go get some more of this.

Darkish ruby red in appearance with a nice whitish head.

I can smell hops and a bit of rye. A tiny bit of coffee too.

This beer is super balanced. I can taste the rye and the hops. It's a bit roasty too.

Mouthfeel is just a tiny bit chewy.

This is 7% but it's a session beer in my opinion.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Really love this guy. Real black in the middle, but some mahogany on the edges when held to the light. Fine head with tons of lacing. Smells is mostly chocolate flavors, a little choco milk-like. Hops and rye in there too, but not as specific and they sort of separate themselves from the malty wafts. The flavor is everything that I am looking for. Substantial bitterness on the front and back end, rye spice mostly in the middle and a little on the after taste and an awesome malt base to keep thing palatable.

No doubt, this is every single one of my favorite things about beer rolled into one. Rye, chocolaty malts, good hop bite. It is not too much of either, which avoids turning it into a sort of onions and ice cream match-up. Still, I am not "blown away" by anything here, but I am hot-damn satisfied and will absolutely reach for it again.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

A: up to the light it has a brown black look that light can barely get through. Big light khaki bubbles make it look like a coke and it has the head retention of a coke.

S: the dark rye malt is there and is balanced with great citrus hop notes.

T: right up front its like a gourmet deli bread, toasty and deep dark malts. There is a good hop presence that doesn't give a huge flavor.

MF: extremely light body and too effervescent, like seltzer water.

D: meh, I wasn't too awful impressed with this beer, it is my first rye beer so maybe my palate isn't in tune with the rye beers.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Ok....so tonight hasn't been the best in terms of reviews. Thank god that the hop strike appears to be a winner.

A: Black - huge tan head on the glass. Excellent presentation. Head lasts forever

S: pine hops, floral hops, malt, nice nose

T: Malt, chocolate, hops, bitter, nice

M: Medium carbonation

D: Easy to drink - what a great offering from Tommyknocker - by far my favorite from them.

16oz bottle into a Hopus tulip pours a dark brown with a decent frothy khaki head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice blend of dark malts and rye with a slight amount of Earthy hops. The taste is a nice blend of chocolate malts, citrus hops and rye with a nice lingering bitter finish. The beer is medium bodied with mild carbonation. This is a very enjoyable beer, one I would certainly have again.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

A Black Rye IPA? I simply had to try this when I heard about it.

I tried this brew on tap at my favorite pizza pub in Washington, DC.

Appearance was OK, but a bit disappointing -- dark and fizzy, but a bit transparent. It kind of looked like a cola, especially with the big bubbles.

Smell was a lot better. Very rich and malty with a touch of Lithuanian Black Bread from my childhood. It was obvious this would be a very substantial beer.

Taste was good -- both hoppy and malty at the same time, with a good dose of rye for good measure.

Mouthfeel was just fine, maybe a bit of a bit sweet cloy on the palate.

Drinkability was also good. Perhaps you might not want to drink large amounts of this complex beer in a short time.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Dark black pour with 1 finger dark cream head. Nice rings of lace. Not much retention.

Nose is chocolate malt with light roast coffee under. Light earthy hops under all that.

Light bite up front with lots of chocolate and faint anise. Nice hop bite in the finish with dark vanilla cream. Touch of rye dryness.

Body is right on the money. Just rich enough for the dark malts.

Very easy drinker.