Colorado IPA Nouveau - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Schmittymack on 10-07-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

11-12-2012 20:07:00 | More by jenray
meeekyh

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Old Chicago, pint glass, bad light but I'll call it a light-golden colored ale. The head is toward the off side of off-white. Lacing is very good, clinging stubbornly. Served in a wicked-cold glass so aroma and taste will likely suffer but let's think refreshing.

The fresh hops really pop in the nose despite the cold, and the taste follows suit. Thank the good people in Montrose for the hops and Idaho Springs for the rest. There are both sweetness and the remarkably strong hop notes in the nose. Grapefruit, or maybe grapefruit or pineapple gummi bears seem to be there too, the sweetness inviting me to smell more.

Balance in the taste is good though the freshness of the hops is still evident. Had I not dabbled in brewing and hop growing I doubt I would recognize whit is the distinctive taste of fresh hops. It is resembled by many things: citrus, pine, juniper, but not one of those things is truly the taste in question. The bitterness is subdued for an American IPA but the presence of fresh hops is very strong. The malts in the beer stand up very well to the hops, not roasty but with plenty of mild sweetness to keep the hops from wiping out the palate.

Returning to the smell, holy wow! this is truly awesome. I need to research the type of hops used but I believe them to be Cascade - yummy. It keeps making me think of candy? I am not exactly sure why, this beer is not sweet.

Warmth - though we are still near to 40 degrees i'd bet, with half a pint left.

Body is medium to light, carbonation high with big bubbles and the finish is dry, thanks a gain to the hops.

I am not sure I will make it back in for another one of these. It is really a good beer for an example of the style (I'd create a new one for fresh/wet hopped IPAs), maybe even a paradigm for a wet hop/fresh hop beer. I am impressed but tend to drink pils these days, and at considerably less than $3-$4/pint (plus tip). Making this beer exclusive to Old C's really reduces drinkability (sorry to those of you who use fewer criteria to judge this category) by inflating price while reducing availability and also reducing quality by making every pint come in an overly-chilled and wide-mouthed glass. I'd love to try it out of a tulip glass at closer to 48 degrees.

I am impressed by the hoppieness to be sure. I view this as a fresh addition (no pun intended) to a lineup that I was really getting tired of. I guesss too many trips through I. Springs and too many stops at the brewery. I am sure there are much worse brewpubs out there.

Slainte.

10-14-2010 18:57:58 | More by meeekyh
Schmittymack

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Another one at my watering hole tonight; claims to be "exclusive to Old Chicago". Poured into a shaker glass a darker straw color, decent head at first, minimal lacing. Aroma was slight--a little malt and a little citrus. Taste was better than expected; biscuits, malt (always a good thing!) with minimal hop bitterness. Not a west coast IPA by any stretch; I could do a couple of these in a sitting before moving onto something more my style. Not sure of the availability as the menu at Old Chicago says "Old Chicago Exclusive".

10-07-2010 08:01:21 | More by Schmittymack
Colorado IPA Nouveau from Tommyknocker Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.