Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Domingo on 08-15-2011

A hearty brown ale brewed to celebrate the fall harvest season. Brewed with a hint of spice and a touch of molasses, Small Patch has a malty backbone rounded out by an addition of real pumpkin to the mash and brew kettle.
1.18/5  rDev -64.4%

Appearance - A murky caramelized brown color. Soda-like with average lacing. A bit of red when held up to the light. No orange hues.

Smell - Malty and alcoholic. Not so great. Extremely faint spices.

Taste - Extraordinarily plain. I don't get any real pumpkin taste at all. The spice is so weak that it's hardly recognizable. This tastes like RC cola or something.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Extremely uncomfortable in your mouth. Highly acidic on the tongue and inexcusably flat. Light-bodied and tasteless. Compared to other pumpkin ales, this is the worst I've had.

2.08/5  rDev -37.2%

It has a deep amber to nearly brown color, darker than usual for the style. It has molasses in the recipe which could account for the darker color. The aroma was notable for nutmeg, sweetness and a hint of bandaid. Upon tasting it had an upfront sweetness, followed by an acetic tartness leading to a harsh finish. This one was either infected or fermentation went horribly wrong. I know for a fact that The Gnome cleans their tap lines religiously, so I think the issue was with the keg of beer itself. The sourness really clashed with the spices and made this one hard to stomach. Looking at Beer Advocate, the beer gets fair marks, so mine may be an outlier. I rate this one low for being unintentionally sour.

2.15/5  rDev -35%

A: The body is much darker than traditional pumpkin beers. It is a dark mahogany brown with rich tones of red. Shadows are clearly visible through it. It really is a beautiful looking beer. The head is very thin with only a rim around the glass. Although there is very little head the ring leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: It smells like burnt plastic and old band-aid. I can't say it's the most pleasant smell. There is some spice in there but it pops up and before I can isolate the smell the is overwhelmed. It doesn't make me sick or anything it's just not great smelling.

T: There's a very light charcoal taste like burnt toast. I'm not sure how this flavor translates to pumpkin beer. I get a little bit of alcohol flavor which seems to perk up the lack of flavor a bit. Again there's a light spiciness to the beer but it's too washed out to identify.

M: It has a pretty good mouthfeel. It's medium with moderate bitterness from the roasted grains, with perky carbonation that isn't overdone. It finishes nice and dry.

O: I wouldn't recommend this as a pumpkin ale. Honestly it's a pretty lackluster beer too.

2.47/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours murky amber/reddish brown in body with a weak white bubbly head that fades. Humbly sweet aroma of molasses, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, piecrust, hints of black cherry. Tastes like pumpkin water with molasses, light cinnamon, and a mild black cherry aftertaste with some stale bread off-flavor in the finish. Watery body with light carbonation. There is nothing satisfying about this autumn beer. The worst pumpkin I've ever had.

2.57/5  rDev -22.4%

12oz bottle. Pours a dark amber with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film.

The aroma is lots of pumpkin pie spices. Yum.

The flavor is very watery and subdued - some pumpkin and spices and a slight bitter finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and very watery.

Overall, it smells great but not much to it other than that.

2.57/5  rDev -22.4%

I picked up a bottle of Tommyknocker's Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale a few days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. While at the store I saw a beer from Tommyknocker that I haven't tried yet, I like this brewery so I decided to take a chance on this beer, so lets see how it goes. I couldn't decode the best buy date, but it's 2012 vintage that I think is fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label isn't that great, it's that typical creepy Tommyknocker Gnome with an orange background, it poured a pretty dark muddy brown color that took on dark ruby red color when held to the light and it had a half a fingers worth of bubbly thin head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing. The appearance wasn't that great, the color was more dark and muddled then I thought it would be and the head was pretty disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of malts that have a higher amount of medium sweetness and impart some grainy, bread crust, and caramel aromas along with some slightly bunt malts. After that I get a sweet molasses like aroma followed by a light pumpkin aroma with lots of spices really coming though and sticking out the most impart those typical pumpkin pie spiced aromas with cinnamon and nutmeg sticking out. Towards the end I get a little more slightly burnt malt followed by a noticeable nutty aroma. The aroma was a little too sweet and the malt back bone doesn't seem to work that well with the pumpkin and spice, but it does have nice balance, I think the aroma is pretty average.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma, but it's much lighter, it starts off with the malts which seems to stick out the most and impart some bread, bread crust, grains, and caramel like flavors along with a slight astringent burnt malt taste with a little bit of molasses and a light nutty flavor. In the middle I get a real light pumpkin flavor that is hardly noticeable and is followed by a light amount of pumpkin pie spices with the cinnamon and nutmeg sticking out the most. Towards the end I get some more astringent burnt caramel malts with hardly any bitterness with a really malty, grainy, roasted and slightly spicy aftertaste. The taste was below average, the pumpkin and spice didn't show up that much and they clashed with the malt backbone, I wasn't impressed.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, watery, light bodied, with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty disappointing, it was way to thin and watery and need just a little more carbonation, not impressive.

Overall I was pretty let down with this beer and I thought it was a below average example of a Pumpkin Ale, there was just way too many things wrong with this beer for it to be competitive in the ever increasing Pumpkin Ale style. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but the flavors just couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't that bad and it had some nice complexity to it. What I liked least about this beer was the the flavor and mouthfeel they were both pretty disappointing with the thinness of this beer hurting it the most giving it a very a watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just can't hang with all the other Pumpkin Ale's on the market and I wouldn't recommend this one. All in all I have to say I was a disappointed with this beer and this was a letdown from Tommyknocker, I was expecting a nice Pumpkin Ale and all I get was a below average Pumpkin Ale that had way too many things wrong with it, better luck next time Tommyknocker.

2.59/5  rDev -21.8%

To start, this is my first foray into pumpkin beers. After doing some research here on BA and seeing what the local stores had available (unfortunately they were out of DFH's Punkin, which I had been somewhat excited about), I decided to get a sixer of Tommyknocker's offering and a bomber of Southern Tier's Pumking. I figured I'd try the Tommyknocker first and save the best for last. So here is a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Small head, though that may just be my pouring, with a short retention period. Actually left a fair amount of lacing. The beer is a deep golden-brown, with fair clarity.

S: A ton of toasted malt. A little burnt caramel/molasses, but mainly malt. Absolutely zero pumpkin or spice.

T: Like the nose, a ton of toasted malt. Evolves into a slight molasses before finishing with a subdued punch of raw pumpkin/squash. Still no spice, though. The aftertaste, interestingly enough, is very similar to the aftertaste of pumpkin pie, despite the lack of pie flavor in the beer.

M: Fair amount of carbonation makes it light on the tongue. Almost watery, though not unpleasantly so.

O: Being such a huge fan of pumpkin, I was looking for more out of this puppy. The minute raw pumpkin finish is pleasant, but just not enough. As a non-pumpkin brown, it's solid, but as a pumpkin, it's a letdown.

2.6/5  rDev -21.5%

[Suggested Glassware: Lager Glass]

The pour was a clear burnt orange with an average (1-2 finger) light brown fluffy head that had OK retention, reducing slowly to a thin film and small collar with good sheets of sticky lacing

The aroma was on the mild side, with a toasted grain malt and an earthy doughy yeast and had notes of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, a touch of brown sugar and of course pumpkin.

The taste was very lightly sweet and a tad malty with notes of brown sugar and pumpkin from the get go, and then took on an almost stale bitterness and had a mild spicy finish. The flavor was most definitely short in duration with not much left behind but a slight hint of spices.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a decently mild carbonation.

Overall this was a light tasting Pumpkin Ale, which did possess a decent drinkability but was pretty much nothing special...

2.61/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark brown color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is pumpkin and spices with some faint sweet molasses as well.

T- The taste is malt up front like a brown ale with some spices coming through.

M- The mouhfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this pumpkin. It is not bad, but not something I would purchase again.

2.62/5  rDev -20.8%

Presentation: New Tommyknocker style labels, orange and green. ABV, IBUs, and best by date marked on the label.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown in color, thin head - almost no lace.

Smell: Earthy pumpkin and a bit of spice.

Taste: The same pumpkin and spice come through here, but there isn't much else. Body is very thin.

Overall impression: There is something unpleasant about this, but I can't pin it down. The pumpkin flavors are there but it doesn't have the body or flavors to round it out.

2.64/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle purchased from Beertopia in Omaha, NE.
No brewed on date.
Poured into a standard US pint glass.

From the bottle, pours a 2cm head, slightly tan to off-white in color. Bubbles about medium in size, head collapses in a minute or two leaving a bit of lacing. Body is dark for a pumpkin ale, a medium brown-amber in color. The appearance is attractive, making one wonder what the pieces that went into this beer are.

Aroma is fairly light, primarily getting some caramel malt, molasses, and very minimal spices. Somewhat bland, uninspiring.

Taste is similar to smell, with caramel malt and molasses. Spices are not really discernible. Not detecting any pumpkin, really. Finish is fairly flavorless.

Body is medium-light to medium, slightly watery, carbonation slightly below adequate for the style and heft. Finish is somewhat dry.

Not a particularly satisfying pumpkin ale. Understated in pie characteristics, but without much to compensate for it.

2.71/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

No pumpkins were harmed in the making of this beer.

That is, this beer doesn't even have a hint of pumpkin flavor. Instead, it has a heavy malt draw combined with a middle of the road dark beer smell and taste. Finish features a slightly burnt taste, which is what I'd do with the recipe for this beer.

I'm certainly not looking for a beer that tastes like a pumpkin pie, but the pumpkin taste or lack thereof certainly was a downer for me. Look for my eBay listing for the remaining 4 beers very soon.

2.71/5  rDev -18.1%

This pumpkin pours really dark for the style. It almost as dark as the normal stout, but it is brown, not black.

I get a lot of pumpkin off the top (not really a surprise). I also smell cinnimon, nutmeg, caramel, and a little bit of tobacco.

The flavor is not as good as the smell. The pumpkin was a little off. The spice didn't balance with the flavor, and the tobacco came through more in the taste.

The bottle mentioned molasses, and I don't get a much molasses. I think it actually fouled up the beer. I don't know if the beer went bad, but it wasn't oxidized.

Not really a good experience for me.

2.72/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Medium to dark brown with a tan head that disappears quickly.

S- Pumpkin and spices up front with fall malts, smells like a mix between a pumpkin ale and a marzen.

T- Malts and spice, no sweetness and less flavor than nearly every other pumpkin beer I have had.

M- Pretty light mouthfeel, kind of feels like dirty water.

O- Not a terrible beer, but I prefer much more flavor. This is almost a combination of a pumpkin ale, marzen and light lager.

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a dark chestnut brown in color with a sticky light tan head

S: Dark roast malt aroma with molasses and toffee in the nose. Slightly sweet malty

T: Knowing from the aroma that there was going to be a molasses flavor in here, it completely took over on the first sip. This is overwhelmingly molasses and roasted burnt tofee. I picture falling leaves and earth when tasting it. There is extremely minimal hopping in the flavor here. Slightly disappointed.

M: Very light carbonation with a viscous mouthfeel for a 5% abv beer.

O: Not extremely impressed. This is more of a fall beer than a pumpkin ale. It tastes like and ale with the body which is a plus, but the flavors here just dont do a pumpkin ale justice. I would compare this to Sierra Nevada Tumbler with a little less carbonation and more stale.

2.77/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Picked this up by accident but hey I like pumpkin beers so lets give it a go. The smell was just a muddled mix of spices with nothing jumping out or impressing me with no hint of pumpkin. OK maybe the taste can redeem it... nope there was nothing in the taste except the same muddled chaotic mix of spices with no pumpkin. After searching I still not find the pumpkin. Ugh overall this is not what I would expect from a pumpkin beer and I do not recommend this beer and I will not purchase again. I left the half of my pint glass for the GF who would not take more than one sip.

2.8/5  rDev -15.4%

A-Mahogany colored...pours with little carbonation which is the Tommy trademark in my opinion.

S-Light pumpkin....a little java and cocoa as well....a bit vegetal...somewhat of an odd aroma for the style...

T-More of a cocoa bean impression than pumpkin impression....very light pumpkin but seems more natural than some....lacks the artificial abundance of spicing many have and thankfully this doesn't

M-The low carbonation impacts the experience....light side of medium bodied and takes on a watery texture due to the carbonation issues.

O-The one plus is this seems more like a natural pumpkin beer...but it is not memorable or noteworthy for anything other than that. Would not buy again.

2.81/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a 4 oz. glass from tap. Pours a dark yet transparent shade of brilliant brown. The smell on this in next to nonexistent. Is it possible for any beer, much less a typically spicy pumpkin beer not to have one at all? Just...weird. The taste is beyond mild. If it wasn't for the faint taste of pumpkin, it wouldn't HAVE a taste. At least you can taste it. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a slightly bitter finish. Overall, this is really mellow and drinkable despite having few defining characteristics.

2.83/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I wrote a very thorough review for this beer, but the site beeradvocate.com deleted it when I tried to submit it, and now it's lost and that's really frustrating because I was very happy with that review and I cannot recreate it, especially now that my beer is gone.

From what I can remember:

A: pours a dark cola mahogany with almost no head seeping out of the swirl into a delirium tremens tulip. i pouted it cold, so it might have had more head if i'd let it warm.

S: some spice, cinnamon, pumpkin....can't remember what I wrote here....

T: started pretty bland, but a good, light, sweet, slightly spicy pumpkin beer. by the end I didn't really enjoy it, as it was a little vegetal. man it's irritating that I lost that first review.

M: watery

I wanted to love this beer, but really only liked it a little. I liked the smell and that it wasn't overly spiced like some pumpkin beers, but I didn't see it as a great fall beer since it wouldn't be good out of a bottle.

I might buy this again if I were really craving a fall-themed beer and there was nothing new to try, but otherwise can't really recommend SPPHA.

2.87/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best by Feb 3, 2014. * was consumed before this date

(A)- Pours a very dark mahogany amber color. Some off-white froth and lacing.

(S)- Some nice rich combos of rustic spices and creamy pumpkin.

(T)- Quite dry and grainy with some subtle spices, though not much pumpkin to speak of. Some subtle dark fruits.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A nice subtle richness to the background with the proper seasonal spices, just lacing the pumpkin flavor one should expect from the style.

(O)- Not bad, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Lacking alot of actual pumpkin in all categories.

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Number one....I'm not a pumpkin beer fan...number two...I don't like this....so please disregard if you are a pumpkin fan. The beer pours a dark brown with thin head that is not lacing. The scent has a faint spice. The taste is a watery pumpkin with hints of spice. The mouthfeel is light in body with little carbonation. Overall....no.

2.99/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Beer emerges the color of raspberry chocolate and is topped with a minimal, wispy white head. This one didnt have much fizz when i popped the top so the lack of head isnt surprising.

Aroma isnt bad. This one looks, smells and tastes like a brown ale base with the requisite pumpkin flavorings and aromas. Aroma is filled with the cracker and breadiness from a hearty brown ale with hints of nutmeg and general seasonal spice.

The mouthfeel on this one was a bit thin. I did like the taste; it was something different than the usual amber ale with pumpkin. However, the overall appeal just wasnt there. There was nothing special yet nothing horrible about this one. Unique, yes. Delicious or one of the best pumpkin beer out there, no.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark amber brown with minimal head

smell: spices, caramel, malts

taste: very little spices, caramel,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: lackluster pumpkin beer. glad I finally got to try something from this brewery but this was just average at best.

3.05/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a thin, watery cola brown producing a short finger of beige, foamy, shortlived head that leaves little lacing. Aroma is bread crust, molasses, vegetable pumpkin, floral & slight spice. Taste is thin but bready with notes of molasses, weak pumpkin & spice. There is something that is slightly reminiscent of a flat "Dr. Pepper". Finishes with more spice & prickle. Afrertaste is malty caramel & molasses with a vegetable hint. Mouthfeel is light-moderate but thin with moderate carbonation, watery, lightly prickly & dry.

3.06/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep amber color. Very little head with decent lacing.

Aroma is mostly pumpkin, some very light spices, maybe cinnamon, and almost a faint vanilla aroma.

Taste is very true to the aroma. Good pumpkin flavor, light spice hints and vanilla overtones.

Mouthfeel is very smooth but a little watery, and does not linger.

Overall I'm glad I tried this. Would maybe have been better if I could have just gotten a single, and probably not something I'll seek out again.

Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery