Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Domingo on 08-15-2011)

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.91/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Number one....I'm not a pumpkin beer fan...number two...I don't like this....so please disregard if you are a pumpkin fan. The beer pours a dark brown with thin head that is not lacing. The scent has a faint spice. The taste is a watery pumpkin with hints of spice. The mouthfeel is light in body with little carbonation. Overall....no.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown in color to the point that you won't see much light through it. I get a millimeter of light brown tinged foam on top. I get a light whiff of molasses,but the pumpkin is very faint. The flavor is a dulled bit of molasses and some pumpkin. The mouthfeel is creamy and slightly chalky.

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

4.33/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Tommyknocker shaker pint.

The beer is as murky and dark as a mud puddle in Autumb. A country vanilla ice cream colored head calms to a wisp. Light splotches of lacing stay on the glass.

The aroma is part cranberry tart, with some earthy rich molasses and brown sugar.

The taste is also a cranberry tart beginning then slides into spices, gooey molasses, and a subtle pumpkin afterthought.

The mouthfeel is solid, medium in weight, and almost chewy but not quite.

Overall, considering the modest ABV, this is a real gem, and one of my favorite pumpkin ales.

4.23/5  rDev +30.2%

This has been the year that I decided to make a conscious effort to review all pumpkin-related beers, but I am flagging in terms of my enthusiasm. Just like all other styles, NOT all pumpkin beers are created equal!

From the bottle: "Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer"; "A festive seasonal ale pumpkin and a touch of molasses and spice"; "Ale brewed with pumpkin, molasses and spices"; "Tommyknocker Legend [-] Tommyknockers slipped into the mining camps of Idaho Springs in the 1800's with the discovery of gold in our mountains and streams. These mischievous elves, though hardly ever seen, were often heard singing and working. They guided many fortunate miners from harm's way and to the gold they sought."

I may be redeemed! I am not in harm's way, but I hope that they will guide me to some good pumpkin beer. An aggro pour has created two fingers of fluffy, light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-brown with garnet highlights (SRM = > 27, < 34) and NE-quality clarity. The nose had an earthy, medicinal quality that put me in mind of freshly-tilled soil and/or Geritol. I am sure that it was largely due to the molasses and while I did not mind it, YMMV. Mouthfeel was medium and the molasses interacted well with the spices so that neither one was as overwhelming as it could have been. This beer had a distinctive earthy flavor that others in the style have eschewed in favor of spices and malty sweetness. Frankly, I was really digging this beer after a spice onslaught from other brewers, so my numbers may skew high. Finish was only semi-dry, proving that you need NOT dump the whole spice rack into the brew kettle to still get nice flavors! Now, one might be enough, where drinkability used to be part of the rating system, but I still want to put it out there that I was not going to make an afternoon of it.

2.06/5  rDev -36.6%

It has a deep amber to nearly brown color, darker than usual for the style. It has molasses in the recipe which could account for the darker color. The aroma was notable for nutmeg, sweetness and a hint of bandaid. Upon tasting it had an upfront sweetness, followed by an acetic tartness leading to a harsh finish. This one was either infected or fermentation went horribly wrong. I know for a fact that The Gnome cleans their tap lines religiously, so I think the issue was with the keg of beer itself. The sourness really clashed with the spices and made this one hard to stomach. Looking at Beer Advocate, the beer gets fair marks, so mine may be an outlier. I rate this one low for being unintentionally sour.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I wrote a very thorough review for this beer, but the site beeradvocate.com deleted it when I tried to submit it, and now it's lost and that's really frustrating because I was very happy with that review and I cannot recreate it, especially now that my beer is gone.

From what I can remember:

A: pours a dark cola mahogany with almost no head seeping out of the swirl into a delirium tremens tulip. i pouted it cold, so it might have had more head if i'd let it warm.

S: some spice, cinnamon, pumpkin....can't remember what I wrote here....

T: started pretty bland, but a good, light, sweet, slightly spicy pumpkin beer. by the end I didn't really enjoy it, as it was a little vegetal. man it's irritating that I lost that first review.

M: watery

I wanted to love this beer, but really only liked it a little. I liked the smell and that it wasn't overly spiced like some pumpkin beers, but I didn't see it as a great fall beer since it wouldn't be good out of a bottle.

I might buy this again if I were really craving a fall-themed beer and there was nothing new to try, but otherwise can't really recommend SPPHA.

Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery