2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pick Axe India Pale Ale - Tommyknocker Brewery

Pick Axe India Pale AlePick Axe India Pale Ale

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: BeerNoobNC on 11-13-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 27 | Reviews: 6 | Show All Ratings:
Minkybut

3.16/5  rDev -8.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degree. I expected it to take the top of my head off the way it smelled oozing with big hop smell. It did not. Beer pored a cloudy orange color with a peach colored head. The beer was hoppy as it should be but not too bad. I could drink it and thought it was quite good for a IPA which I'm not very fond of anyway. Lacing was good and I would buy again.

04-28-2013 17:01:10 | More by Minkybut
dtivp

West Virginia

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a clear copper orange with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin collar with light lacing.

Aroma of light malt, grass with citrus, very light aroma.

Taste of grapefruit, malt, some sweet caramel and vanilla with a slight bitter after taste, very good balance.

Mouth Feel was medium towards light body, moderate carbonation, smooth with a crisp, bitter ending.

Overall an easy drinking, enjoyable and refreshing pale ale.

04-27-2013 23:53:17 | More by dtivp
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Magic Hat pint glass that the owner of "Fox & Parrot" gave me when the wife and I visited Gatlinburg a few years ago.

A: Poured a crystal clear, yet dark orange color, with a big, soapy, 3-4 finger head that looked like shaving cream.

S: Like a pine tree sap. Not horrible, but pretty weird. I got a bit of sourness in there.

T: More like tree bark. Lots of malt, with a bitter slap on the front and back end. As an "English IPA," this might have been successful.

M: Ridiculous lacing, OK carbonation, and not too bitter after a few sips.

O: This is just too weird and it didn't grow on me the way I was hoping it would.

02-24-2013 01:19:55 | More by Chaney
JayS2629

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a beautiful light copper with great clarity and a two finger, hefty cream top. It faded fast though and left a thin filmy swirl of white. Thin wall of sea foam lacing.

The aroma is mild with loads of grassy elements. A nut and caramel mix balance out with a prominente malt presence. Good balance, but a little sweet smelling for an IPA.

Nicely balanced for an IPA. A definitive caramel backbone with hints of vanilla and maple...even tones of honey but a balance appears of floral boquets. Honeysuckle, clover, fresh cut grass, spring...but nice caramel, honey undertones. Balcne is great!

Medium bodied, crisp, refreshing...cutting, edgey...

Overall, great, a little too easy to drink and slightly dangerous.

02-05-2012 04:33:49 | More by JayS2629
JohannBock

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Poured from a bottle w/ best by date 1/2/12 into a mug. Light orange color with 1.5 fingers of head.

S: Some citrusy hops, mainly grapefruit, followed by some toasty malts.

T: Not what I was expecting from the nose. Strong malt backbone right up front that really dominates the entire brew. Toasty from the middle through the end. Some grapefruit in the middle followed by some bitterness but it's really overwhelmed by the malts.

M: Light to medium mouth feel with a long finish.

O: Not a bad brew by any means, just not was I thought an IPA was going to be. Would I drink it again, sure, but I wouldn't recommend it as good example of an IPA.

11-17-2011 04:13:06 | More by JohannBock
BeerNoobNC

Had a couple of days ago, but the Pick Axe Pale Ale was the only option, so I added this entry, but I had to finish my 20th beer review before I could, for whatever stupid reason. My review might be a little rusty for that reason.

This beer poured the typical color and transparency of other IPA's The smell was of citrus hops. Some beers are too hoppy without enough of the citrusy flavor, and some are not hoppy enough. That is not the case for this beer, as it has a perfect balance with a hint of the citrus hop tones with a nice amount of hops (55 IBU's indicated on the label). This might just be the best IPA that I have had in a variety pack. I highly recommend this beer, especially in the variety pack.

11-13-2011 23:47:38 | More by BeerNoobNC