Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale - Flat Earth Brewing Company

Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale AleFlat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bucko on 02-19-2007)

null, Dec 14, 2011

ALifeWellWasted, Dec 27, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +28%

Flat Earth's Belgian style pale ale is golden honey in color. It's head is off white and there is a lot of because this beer is heavy on the carbonation.

It's smell is of sour apples, flowers, bread, and honey. It smells kind of like a Belgian Tripel I've had before, Kasteel, but better.

Hops are well balanced and match this beers sweetness. It tastes of wheat, honey and a slight aftertaste of caramel. However there is no aftertaste of the hops. The alcohol warms your mouth and chest as you drink it. It's feels stronger then it's stated 5.2% ABV, but not in a bad way. This beer is full of favors blended in a way that somehow makes it smooth and mellow. It's better not really cold.

Mouth feel is bubbly, almost dry. Body is good.

Wish I had another.

Bricky29, Mar 26, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

My second beer from Flat Earth. 22 Oz Bomber from Rum River Liquor.

Smell: Awesome fragerance. Smells nutty, bready, and fruity. Very inviting

Taste: Rich but not overpowering. Not alcoholy. Flavors of fruit like you should get from belguim yeast, sweet, perfect amount of bitterness for style (more prevelant as it warms) IBU 25. Starts mellow, then with a slight zing on the tong, and then finishes with a smooth mellowness.

Mouthfeel: could use more carbonation. Seems thin.

Appearance: Somewhat thin with little carbonation; Leaves a thin delicate lace on my glass as it dissapears. Mostly clear amber coloration.

Drinability: Smooth and enjoyable, not very high alcohol at 5.2% ABV.

Impression: too little alcohol, yeast, hops, and carbonation for the styles it is supposed to represent...but I do not care because the beer is highly enjoyable and also drinable at the same time. I started this one when it was really cold and I wasn't very impressed at first....but as it warmed the true flovars came out and I really enjoyed drinking it. I'll be picking up more in the future.

Impressed with what I've seen from Flat Earth so far and the product seems to be priced relatively well compared to similar, especially when considering the quality of the products.

-BarleyPopMan

BarleyPopMan, Jan 26, 2008

olafphysics, Jun 09, 2012

dern10001110101, Dec 17, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

This beer pours a crisp clear copper with a thin random film of head.

Smells of nectarines and wheat bread with a rich creamy dinner roll and white flour. Sharp zips of CO2 bring out a latent sting of pineapple.

Tastes of sweet and creamy bread dolls and a sharp adn clean ambiguous fruitiness along with a slight under-ripe apple and fig. This is backed up by a crisp snap of green pepper corn and rounds off with a thin creamy hefe yeast.

Feels glassy clean with a hidden carbonation that sneaks out, complimenting the pepperiness of the flavor. This is however just a little bit sticky.

Well done! An easy to handle and refreshing brew.

DarkerTheBetter, Apr 24, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +20.8%

Clear copper. Nice little crop of dirty white head. Lace is abundant. The aroma is really nice. Spicy, doughy, yeasty, sweet and cakey. Great combo for this style. The taste is very nice as well. Very complex. Nice, subtle base of bread crust and warm biscuity malt tones. A spattering of pepper appears throughout. Quite yeasty and spicy. Very enjoyable. The carbonation is light and prickly. Medium-bodied or so. This is a very enjoyable and HIGHLY drinkable Belgian Pale. Nicely done.

Bighuge, Apr 13, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +20%

Tried this one at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. Pours a nice amber to copper red color with a light tan head. I smelled a solid but not overbearing Beligian yeast note in the nose with some toasty malt. My first taste starts with that nice Belgian yeast and leads to some complex flavors of toast, raisin, spice, and a hint of chocolate. The finish is clean and dry which makes me thirst for some more. Yum! It seems I taste something new with each sip, but the flavors leave my tongue almost too quickly and I want to go back for more. VERY drinkable and thirst quenching. I look forward to my next pint!

beerkittycat, Jun 12, 2007

MN_Beerticker, Sep 24, 2012

KTMinnesota, Aug 02, 2014

zimmee66, Jan 01, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer pours a vibrant, clear, reddish-copper color. The head is small, but sticks around. The aroma is of passion fruit, cloves, flowers, biscuits, and has a hint of caramel. It is rather strong for a beer of a mere 5.2% ABV. The taste is quite a bit spicier than the aroma, and has a firm bitterness that lingers long after the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a very good session beer. It is complex without being overpowering. I will certainly drink this again. I think I should also mention that I am very impressed with the description of the beer, and food pairing suggestions on the label. I hope to see similar descriptions on future Flat Earth labels.

KarlHungus, Nov 18, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Seriously, who doesn't like kettle corn at the farmers market when your wife is nagging you and the raiders are on and you just want to get back to the game. That is this beer, completely by surprise, this beer is like candy, sweet, but also carries itself through the end with a nice full bodied hops to finish it. This is a beer I will trade again for and share with more peoples, thanks...maximum12.

chickencoop, Apr 03, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +16%

Poured a nice vibrant copper with bright white head that builds slightly after the pour. The beer is clear and not very dark. The beer shows some activity after the pour. I liked the look of this beer.

The smell of cloves and bread is the most prevalent. The work of Belgian yeast is not to be mistaken in this beer.

The beer has a wonderful balanced taste of spice and malt. It doesn't assault the tastebuds but enough flavor is there to make this a really enjoyable beer. I can't stress how well balanced this beer is. Feels light to medium bodied, finishes dry, with near perfect carbonation make this an easy drinking beer. My first Flat Earth beer, I am looking forward to trying more of their beer.

morimech, Nov 13, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Deep golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big three finger off white head that has great retention and lacing.

Smell: Caramel malts and biscuit with a good amount of belgian yeast, banana, clove, and spices. Hints of raisins and other dark fruit. Light hint of citrus hops.

Taste: Big taste of Belgian yeast, bananas, spices, and clove up front followed by hints of dark fruits then a big malty finish. Bitterness is very light. It tastes a lot like a combination of a saision and a malty lager. A very interesting and tasty combination.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth and crisp.

Overall: A solid take on this style. Very tasty.

MattyG85, Jun 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to my Santa Justn for sending this my way. It didn't have the same label on the bottle as the one pictured on the date of my review. Bottle poured into a tulip glass and it produced a two finger white head that trailed of to a thin lace across the glass. The body was a clear amber to almost copper in color.

The aroma was right what it should be, nice and yeasty as well as fruity with a hint of spice. Just the way I like my Belgian Pales. The flavor again was right on the money. It started of fruity sweet and spicy with a hit of hops and pepper towards the end. It had a prefect feel in my mouth for a pale with great carbonation.

Great to drink, I split the bottle but could have easily finished it myself. An enjoyable brew, I would gladly have this one again.

joepais, Jan 10, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

A tasty Minnesotan-made Belgian pale ale here that could just as easily have come from Belgian. The flavor is clean with a medium body thats quite toasty (the malt) with a touch of caramel. The yeast kicks in a woodsy funk and the hops round this beer out with a slight balancing bitterness. This might be heresy, but this beer reminds me of Westvleteren Blonde.

tempest, Nov 24, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bomber opened carefully and poured gently into my Duvel tulip. After the talk of bottle bombs, i was a little apprehensive

A: Orange with a frothy 4-finger thick off-white head. Tons of carbonation

S: Mildly fruity with peaches and persimmon with a mild sugary sweetness. Hint of spice. Light and appealing on this 80+degree day.

T: Light fruitiness with a faint hint of spice - pepper? Notes of lightly toasted malts are present too. The finish is spicy and dry

M: Very well carbonated and a pleasant finish

D: This is going down very easy. Thanks to wankerweasel for the chance to try this!

DefenCorps, Jun 01, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color, with a copper hue; the cap looks more American than Belgian, and fades quickly though it does splash some lace around in the process

Smell: Biscuity, with a hint of caramel sweetness, some light fruit (pear and cherry) and a perfume of herbacious character

Taste: Biscuity, up front, and then the complex flavor elements arrive - caramel, banana, clove, spicy yeasts with a floral and light fruit element; after the swallow, there is a bit of tart fruit character, a re-emergence of the banana and a light finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation; doesn't have a Belgian mouthfeel to match the complexity of the flavor profile

Overall: My first Flat Earth beer and I wish I had sought out others while I was in Minneapolis; though the mouthfeel/carbonation needs work, the flavor profile is impressive

brentk56, Jun 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

I got this bottle in a trade with Lofgrep. Thanks Peter!

This pours....omg! I just lost about 2/3rds of the beer when I popped the cap. It exploded out of the bottle like nothing I've ever had before.

Anywho...it has a nice honey gold colour with a small head of foam and there's some lacing.

The smell is yeasty and grainy and peppery and fruity. Interesting and pleasing smells.

The taste has good peppery and spicy notes up front with a good strong yeasty flavour and some earthy malt tones. There's a bitterish hop flavour right before and through the finish. This is nice.

Good medium mouthfeel and after the initial "explosion", I find the carbonation on the light side. Quite tasty and quite drinkable; too bad I lost so much of it. :^(

Bitterbill, Oct 25, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

This beauty was poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz bottle into a pint glass. The first batch of bottles released from Flat Earth Brewery for purchase by the general public.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear amber/copper color w/ lively carbonation. Fantastic creamy white head that is about 1/2" to 3/4" to begin with and dissipates down to a beautiful, creamy white lace. When I look at this beer in the glass, it to me embodies what a quality craft brew should look like.

Smell: Nice biscuty, malty smell w/ some fruity tones. Pleasant hop aroma. Not an overpowering hop smell. Overall the aroma really shows off the malts in this beer.

Taste: Very pleasant, mellow flavor. You can taste the quality of the malts in this beer. Very smooth and mildly sweet. Just enough hops to balance out the malts w/ a pleasant bitterness that doesn't linger for too long. The complexity of this brew is in the esters that are subtly hidden throughout. The beer finishes very clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: I would call this a light to medium bodied beer that has a velvety, creamy feel when it hits the tongue. The creamy head tickles your lips just prior to drinking. Just the right amount of carbonation for this one.

Drinkability: This is a very solid beer. I started off my Sat. evening with this beer followed by two others. I found myself craving another one of these before the night was over. Very smooth and clean w/ a good amount of bitterness sure to please just about anyone.

After this I'm really looking forward to more offerings from Flat Earth in bottles. I've had several of their beers on tap, but I love to be able to sit and enjoy good beer in the comfort of my own home. The future is looking bright for this brewery.

brewdoc75, Oct 28, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Bought a few of these 22oz bottles tonight. And for good reason. It's great beer!

This is not the first time I've had this offering, but it finally deserves a review.

Pours a very dark amber color with a generous, rocky, off-white, three-finger head into a snifter. Lacing is everywhere down the glass. Smells slightly fruity, with apples, and spice, malty sweetness. Taste is very much the same. Citrusy, spicy, a bit of hop bitterness in the background. Nice balance of malts and hops and a fantastic yeast strain that imparts the same flavors of many Belgians. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, nice amount of carbonation that tingles the tongue and leaves you wanting more.

This is a great offering from a Micro that's only been around for a year or so. Flat Earth is a wonderful up-and-comer in the world of craft beers and a great asset to the world of brews here in Minnesota.

Edit 8-11-08: Had this one again, and I must say that I enjoyed this brew much more when there was the whole refermentation problem going on (i.e. exploding bottles). This re-released version is a bit undercarbonated, a bit thin on the flavor and body, and just not as good. I'll keep the same scores, as I did really like this beer the first 3 times I had it.

KeefD, May 13, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a hazy copper/ orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, big fruitiness, cherry and raisons. In the taste, cherry, dark fruit, primarily raison, and a toasty malt. A smooth and medium mouthfeel, with a dry, dark fruit, cherry aftertaste. Big fruit presence, nice session ale. I liked it alot.

OWSLEY069, Aug 30, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

A: 3 fingers of fizzy off-white head from aggressive pour subsides to nothing with very active bubbling. Clear copper liquid. I'd like better head retention.
S: Malty sweet, toffee and bread with hints of noble hops. Smells tasty.
T: Sweet with very mild bitterness. Nice Belgian yeasty spice. I'd like more hops but that would probably make this a BIPA. Well balanced.
M: Syrupy, a little prickly. Pleasant overall
D: Quite good on this, the hottest day of the year so far (98 degrees) Drinkable, I want the whole 22oz. bottle for myself.

dfillius, Oct 17, 2009