Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale - Flat Earth Brewing Company

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bucko on 02-19-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 139 | Reviews: 97
3.56/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an Imperial pint glass.

Pours a nice, clear orange/amber color - nice 1/2 inch tight, off-white head that retreats too quickly (within a minute or so) and leaves no lacing at all.

I had to keep swirling this beer in order to pick up any aroma - what I did pick up was much lighter than I expected from a Belgian-style beer. Mostly a faint whiff of Belgian yeast mixed with a bit of spice. Overall the least impressive characteristic of this beer.

While this beer seemed lacking in aroma, it did provide a decent flavor - more indicative of a Belgian pale ale. Definite Belgian yeast at the front end that moves quickly to a modest toasted malt and a bit a biting spice (pepper and cloves) at the back end. Overall a pretty balanced ale.

Not bad in terms of mouthfeel - I'd consider it a medium bodied, well-rounded all that does include a fair amount of carbonation but not fizzy in the mouth. Dry finish.

Definitely a drinkable Belgian pale ale - I've had it a couple of times on tap and at that time, I wasn't overly impressed mainly because I prefer Belgian style beers that are stronger on Belgian yeast and malt characteristics. However, this bottled version was much better than I recalled having on tap several months ago and I think it would appeal to drinkers who are either new to the Belgian beer styles or who prefer a more modest take on the Belgian pale ale style.

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Poured into a tulip glass it was a clear deep amber color with
no head but small islands of lacing.

S- Raisins,rich breadlike malty smell,musty,must be the yeast?
Reminds me of a Trappist ale.

T- At first it tastes smokey and herbal then rounds into a nutmeg and clove taste.No hops stand out but is well balanced and seems very complex.

M- Medium\light bodied very smooth,low carbonation. I thought it would be a little heavier.

D- This is a very smooth very easy drinking beer.I've had this on tap many a times and seems even better out of the bottle.
This is a must try beer if you like the Belgian style ales!

4.11/5  rDev +9.9%

This beauty was poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz bottle into a pint glass. The first batch of bottles released from Flat Earth Brewery for purchase by the general public.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear amber/copper color w/ lively carbonation. Fantastic creamy white head that is about 1/2" to 3/4" to begin with and dissipates down to a beautiful, creamy white lace. When I look at this beer in the glass, it to me embodies what a quality craft brew should look like.

Smell: Nice biscuty, malty smell w/ some fruity tones. Pleasant hop aroma. Not an overpowering hop smell. Overall the aroma really shows off the malts in this beer.

Taste: Very pleasant, mellow flavor. You can taste the quality of the malts in this beer. Very smooth and mildly sweet. Just enough hops to balance out the malts w/ a pleasant bitterness that doesn't linger for too long. The complexity of this brew is in the esters that are subtly hidden throughout. The beer finishes very clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: I would call this a light to medium bodied beer that has a velvety, creamy feel when it hits the tongue. The creamy head tickles your lips just prior to drinking. Just the right amount of carbonation for this one.

Drinkability: This is a very solid beer. I started off my Sat. evening with this beer followed by two others. I found myself craving another one of these before the night was over. Very smooth and clean w/ a good amount of bitterness sure to please just about anyone.

After this I'm really looking forward to more offerings from Flat Earth in bottles. I've had several of their beers on tap, but I love to be able to sit and enjoy good beer in the comfort of my own home. The future is looking bright for this brewery.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

This is a decent beer and the second that I have had from Flat Earth. Its a nice amber color with a scant head and no lacing. The smell is grainy, malty sweet. The taste is a bit odd, with very sweet vegetable flavors like sweet potato, carrot, sweet pea, sugar snap pea, you get the idea. The taste doesn't do much else, maybe some standard American pale flavors like caramel and fruit. Not very Belgian nor good as an American adaptation. Not great, but not bad, either. The mouthfeel is good and thick, and this is pretty drinkable, but this was a bit disappointing. It could have been a stale keg, or a dirty tap line, but this could be greatly improved. Maybe more hops, maybe a different malt bill, maybe a livelier yeast strain. I do appreciate Flat Earth's efforts, as we need as many local brewers as we can get, but this could get better with some retooling.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Tried this one at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. Pours a nice amber to copper red color with a light tan head. I smelled a solid but not overbearing Beligian yeast note in the nose with some toasty malt. My first taste starts with that nice Belgian yeast and leads to some complex flavors of toast, raisin, spice, and a hint of chocolate. The finish is clean and dry which makes me thirst for some more. Yum! It seems I taste something new with each sip, but the flavors leave my tongue almost too quickly and I want to go back for more. VERY drinkable and thirst quenching. I look forward to my next pint!

Photo of
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at Barley Johns Brewpub.

Dark gold, clear ale. Small, off-white head. Creamy consistency. Very lively, bubbles keep rolling up from the bottom. No legs, but very nice lacing.

Very mild aroma. Got some of the typical Belgian yeast scent. Citrus and clove. Touch of sweet.

Taste was very nicely balanced. Slightly tilted towards the sweet side of the scale -- carmel & burnt sugar. Herbal bitterness at finish.

Medium in body. Light carbonation. Very refreshing.

Would love to drink this again, but might not want more than a couple in any given session. Spices & herbs taste good, but might get to you after a few. I enjoyed this with the habanero hummus, although the food overpowered the beer a bit.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Good to see another brewery in the Twin Cities that can offer up some damn good beers.

A - Light orange, white head that sticks around, decent lacing
S - A little lacking touches of fruit and hops though
T - Nice sweet fruity flavor with a good Hoppy finish
M - Good carbonation and a good malty feel when I drink it.
D - Extremely easy to drink, I will definatly have this one again.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy, brownish toffee in color, thin head dropped quickly to a ring and film. The aroma is of lightly toasted grains, yeast with spicy notes, and some caramel and brown sugar. The taste is of sweet grainy/biscuity malt, some bread and toast flavors. More brown sugar and molasses show up. A fair amount of yeast in the flavor too, which led to some light spicy notes of cloves and pepper. Not unnecessarily light, but lighter carbonation than the average brew, about what you would expect for the style. Light to medium bodied, thin grainy aftertaste.

Overall: a solid brew. I don't think it's going to shock and awe anyone, but its a pretty good session beer. I would have liked to see some of the spicy notes amped up a bit to linger in the aftertaste more.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Clear amber in color, not much for a head.

Smell: Yeasty.

Taste: Spicy! A black pepper taste is the main take away for me for this beer. It does have balance with some bready and yeast flavors, but pepper steals the show.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, another local beer to pick from.

Tried this beer at the Happy Gnome, it's a pretty good beer. I thought it should have a little better head since it's "Belgian", but the taste made up for that. Good stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +20.9%

Clear copper. Nice little crop of dirty white head. Lace is abundant. The aroma is really nice. Spicy, doughy, yeasty, sweet and cakey. Great combo for this style. The taste is very nice as well. Very complex. Nice, subtle base of bread crust and warm biscuity malt tones. A spattering of pepper appears throughout. Quite yeasty and spicy. Very enjoyable. The carbonation is light and prickly. Medium-bodied or so. This is a very enjoyable and HIGHLY drinkable Belgian Pale. Nicely done.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: clear amber hue, edging on bronze, with a nice tapioca-ish head that looks good at first, but dies down quickly.

Aroma: musty, yeasty, funky malt, little hops, lightly sweet, complex, and pleasing to the nose.

Taste: clean, yet zesty, mostly malt and yeast, spicy. Lean-bodied, very refreshing, easy-drinking, dry, even finish.

Quite an interesting brew this one, very mellow, smooth, but with a special Belgian kick in it. Low on the alcohol, and with hardly any hops, this is just any easy drinker all the way, with plenty of character.
As for me, though, I could use more body, more malt, more yeast, even...it looks and feels filtered, and I feel I'd enjoy it more if it weren't.

Looking forward to more from Flat Earth. A good debut.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Served cold, in a shaker. Brilliant pale copper in color, with an off-white head and moderate lacing. Nose is yeasty and spicy, with a touch of light mild cloves and white pepper. Pale malt in the nose exhibits soft, subtle notes of orange and peach, but no hops to speak of. Fruity, yeasty and tangy on the first sip. Lightly sweet, with vegetal notes (lemon grass) and biscuity malt character holding this together through the middle of the palate. Smooth interplay between the subtle malt qualities and spicier yeast characteristic. Finish is light and dry-ish. Mouthfeel is medium-full, and there's an excellent sense of drinkability to this one. It was on a two-for-one and they went down smoothly and easily. At the very least this makes for an excellent introduction (for us lucky locals) to the Belgian Pale ale style, but in fact I can see this brew as being the basis for many excellent Belgian style ales to come. It also reminded me of how well-executed some of the Town Hall Belgian-style ales turned out - the appledon't fall far from the tree, eh? I look forward to seeing more from Flat Earth!
[Stub and Herbs/ Minneapolis]

3.99/5  rDev +6.7%

Into a pint glass at Happy Gnome, poured a nice golden color with a no head, no lacing, even when attempting to coax one with a swirl. Aroma is pretty nice, sweet caramels, fruity esters, some toasted malts, a faint spicing perhaps. Taste is pretty much similar to the aroma, the Belgian yeast more apparent here, the malt turning biscutty, maybe some sugars peeking through. The mouth was a bit thin for me, just under medium bodied, a good feel to it otherswise. I will say though, this is a very drinkable beer, very easy quaffer, and a good impression for a first brew. I'm excited to see whats up next for Flat Earth.

Sampled (numerous times) at Winterfest in a TINY globe. I made it a point to taste this early as Winterfest is known for lots of big, big beers and knew that the details of this delicate, complex brew might get lost in the fold if I didn't taste it early. This beer pours a golden/straw color with a small white head. I was drinking from a 4 oz. sample glass, so head and lacing are really hard to detect. The aroma is slightly sweet, lightly toasted and showing notes of dark fruit and spice. Very nice. The flavor is more of the same... nice malt, biscuit a nice spicy/yeasty kick and more fruit. Very good. Mouthfeel is consistent with the style... body seems to be medium. Though I only tasted 4 oz. at a time, it went down smoothly and this strikes me as a very drinkable, fresh Belgian-style pale ale. Well done!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale from Flat Earth Brewing Company