Element 115 - Flat Earth Brewing Company

good

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2007)
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

A nice amber color with a finger of white head.

Smells mostly of malts with some notes of floral hoppy goodness.

Heavy malts that roll on the tongue quite nicely.

This was really a delightful beer. And "delightful" is not a term that I use lightly. Because it usually sounds fruity. So when I say "delightful" you better believe that I fucking mean it.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Pours a clear golden amber with moderate off white head that quickly dissipates into a thin layer. Generous lacing which sheets the glass.

S - Big aroma off the bat. Citrus, sweet malt, and some grassiness hiding underneath.

T - Balance favors the hops here, and a light hop bitterness takes hold early and lasts through the finish.

M - Fairly light mouthfeel, with a pleasant bitter finish.

D - A good drinkable beer, would be great for a session.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a British pint glass. No date. The body was a bright golden amber. The creamy off-white head was dense and eventually left a ring of foam.

Smell was fruity. This one smelled like 7-UP! interesting.

Taste was malty. There was a bitter afterglow. Dusty. Nutty. Drying. Nice.

Mouthfeel was a bit slick with medium density and medium/mild carbonation. This is a well-rounded beer.

3.35/5  rDev -9%

Pours a clear amber color with a small amount of foam and sparse lacing. Aroma of pale and Vienna malts, backed up by a nice hop freshness. Slightly nutty on the palate, dry as can be, some nice hop bitterness on the finish. Dry and crisp, somewhat refreshing. Needs more carbonation. I must say I'm not overly impressed with this beer. It's decent but nothing I would search out.

Pours with a rich head. Clear golden slightly orange in color.

Aroma is sweet citrus, slight caramel malt.

Decent hop bite lasts to the finish. Malty sweetness is evident, but overshadowed by the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is medium , good balance. Carbonation is good.

Overall an easy drinking beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

I picked this bomber up for $5.99 at the Andersons store in Dublin OH. I thought it might be a German Helles lager (a style I crave always) but it turns out I was wrong, it's a steam beer clone (a style I'm not crazy for). The beer is light copper colored and clear, with a really thick wet foam. The smell is nothing special in my opinion, just biscuity malt and a hops bitterness without the good hops aromatics. The taste is sort of bland as well, well balanced but with a lingering hops bite which isn't pleasant. No flavors that really make it for me. The body's just about medium, which is just about right for the style I suppose, and drinkability is OK except for the bitter aftertaste. Not badly made but not really my choice for a summer day.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a clear copper color with a half-inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing is very good. The aroma is very light (but nice), it smells like some toasted malt and herbal/grassy hops. Luckily the taste is stronger than the aroma. It tastes like sweet and toasted malt, along with the herbal and grassy hops. Starts off sweet, and has a bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, with low carbonation. It's also a bit creamy and coating. Drinkability is decent, it's smooth and not hard to drink at all. I think this is a solid beer, I'd buy it again.

I got this bottle in a trade with Lofgrep. Thanks Peter!

This pours a clear copper colour with a 1 finger head of foam. It has some lacing and though the foam shrinks a lot, there's still some there at the end of the session. Overall, a very nice looking brew in my glass.

The smell has some caramel malt in it but the hops dominate with citrus and some grass.

The taste at first sip is on the sweetish side with good caramel notes and some grain but the hops follow very closely with some nice citrus and a touch of grass that adds some good bitterness. I think there's some other fruitiness here but I'm not all sure which one(s) I'm tasting. The finish is defintely hop oriented with a nice bitter citrus flavour that is fairly long lasting.

Good close to medium mouthfeel and this brew is working for me. I'm glad it came in a 22oz bottle because it sure is easy enough to drink. Well done Flat Earth! I'd be glad to drink this during the hot days of summer, which it currently is. ;^)

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

It pours light amber with a very small head. Decent lacing though. The nose is mild with a bit of hops, but nothing too overwhelming.

The taste is better, though. It's very nicely balanced with clear hops on the back of the tongue and malt on the front. Tasty. On the other hand, the mouthfeel is a tad watery especially on the back end.

It's a solid brew and I'd drink it again, but won't be rushing out to grab more.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light yet bright amber hue. Nice two finger head with ample retention. Nice sheet lace

S: Lots of nice sweet malt aroma with a dash of floral hops.

T: Wow this is one hoppy common. Tons of floral hops meld with nice sweet malt. Lots of hoppy goodness in this bottle.

M: Smooth crisp and clean.

D: Pretty good.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Pours a clear copper color with a foamy white head.

S- Pretty mild here. Tiny bit of malt and some citrus.

T- Pretty dull also. Some grassy malts, some citrus flavors and I could also pick up some sort of spice that was almost like a pepper.

M- Light to medium in body with little carbonation. Felt dry also

D- Ok I guess I don't think I would go out and search for this one.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Sunkist orange with generous amber edges. Variously sized bubbles moving at various speeds plink and plunk and plonk into the underside of a sandstone colored crown that features hundreds of glassy bubbles on its upper surface. The foam is sticky enough to slather the glass with an impressive blanket of BB-shot lace.

An IBU count of 45 and a label that includes the the words 'aggressively hopped' suggest that this California Common is... well... aggressively hopped. It isn't obvious by the nose. With Simcoe in the house (along with Cluster, Mt. Hood and Northern Brewer), more was expected. Each sniff delivers an underpowered combination of lightly toasted malt and lightly fruity hops.

While Element 115 tastes better than it smells, and is obviously well-brewed, it isn't blowing me away. On the positive side, it's balanced and drinkable. On the negative side, it doesn't excite the taste buds or the imagination, despite the well-chosen name and the nicely done label.

There's a fair amount of malt present for a 5.5% lager. Pale, Victory and caramel give the beer a 'lightly toasted white bread sprinkled with chopped nuts and a dab of butter' vibe. Unfortunately, there's more hop bitterness than good hop flavor. The brewers should have loaded up on Simcoe, even if it obscured some the flavor of the malt.

The beer is becoming more tightly knit and more enjoyable as it warms, allowing it to just barely earn the next highest flavor score. Drinkablity gets a well-deserved bump as well. The mouthfeel, despite being no more than light-medium, has smooth edges and is lightly silky. That quality, more than anything, tells me that this brewery has a bright future.

Element 115 was discovered in 2003 and was given the name Ununpentium (Uup). Flat Earth Brewing tells us that it's the essential component that allows UFOs to fly. Element 115 (the beer) isn't the best California Common the galaxy has ever seen, but it's more than solid. If the price is reasonable, I'd gladly buy a bomber now and again.

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to chonyr for bringing this one north.

A clear golden, topaz bodied brew, somewhat mildly carbonated. Nice off white 2 finger head, somewhat tight and with decent retention. Also left nice sheets of lace that gave way to clingy webs of lacings.

Bready, toasty and nutty with a touch of caramel from the malts. Hops are there, and are more herbal and bitter versus floral.

Nice, rich malts give a solid backbone of toasted biscuit and bread, some roasted nuts and a touch of caramel. Nicely hopped with a solid amount of herbal, almost grassy hops with a hint of lemon and citrus. Touch of musty yeast present, which also likely adds to the slight nutty quality of this brew.

Almost medium bodied, creamy in feel, yet finishes slightly dry with a clean bitterness from the bittering hops. Simple, yet impressive brew.

A great steam beer, tasty malts and hops. Wish it was more readily available to me as this would be a great beer to drink lots of come summer. Somewhat simple, yet with depth and plenty of flavour, as such it may be enjoyed best by experienced craft beer drinkers, or at least those who enjoy trying new things. Hope to be drinking this one again!

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Got this one on a storekeeper's recommendation when they were still waiting on a shipment of Surly's. Turned out to be a solid find, and I'll definitely check out Flat Earth again if I'm in the area. Appearance was a nice orangy amber color with a slightly weak head. Nose was nice, lots of fruit aromas along with some smoky malt. Taste was likewise, not super complex but tasty with the smokiness and the spicy hops and fruit. I might have guessed this was a spiced beer. Feel was good, medium bodied with nice fizzy carbonation. Overall, I really enjoyed this one.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

crystal clear dark amber with a rocky off white head that leaves very decent lacing. smell is fruity, berries. Taste is pretty clean. Some nice balance here. Niether the hops or the malt is jumping out at me, yet I can tell that both are there. the aftertaste is drying and nice. the feeling it leaves in the mouth is not quite right though, and not to my liking. Mouthfeel is creamy with good carbonation. A nice, easy to drink beer that I thoroughly enjoyed.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hopdog for opening this...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white, soapy head that fades into a mild collar. Tiny spots of lacing left around the glass.
Smell is grainy, fruity, citrusy, caramel, cake, and sugary candy.
Taste is that of the aromas with a fruity, caramel mix standing out.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, dry, and yeasty.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a clear amber-bronze color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is fruity with fresh cut grass. The taste has more grass than the aroma with a lingering bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer, but Flat Earth can do much better.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color was a shade of copper. I was very disappointed to see almost no head or lacing. I could pick up on the strong hops and also some malt on the taste and smell. It was a little bitter and had dry finish. It had very little carbonation, nothing to write home about.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a nice copper, with a non-existant head. There was no lacing to speak of either.

S- Definitely a steam beer, malty, hoppy.

T- Mostly malty with some nice hop balance. Nice dry hop finish. ; however, not a whole lot of complexity here, and a rather thin body.

M- VERY low carbonation that attributed to a very small body. More carbonation would make for a better body, resulting in a better beer.

D- Because of the thin body, the style suffer and thus, the drinkability suffers.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

I have to first say I'm not the most familiar with this beer style. Also this is my first try of anything from Flat Earth! I did do my research first so I know what I'm getting into tho as far as style goes, and ironically we just had some Anchor Steam in the fridge last week. (had being the key word there)

A - A muted honey orange in color. Poured a small head, but it didn't stick around all that long. Very little lacing left on the glass, but the top of the beer isn't completely cleared.

S - Pretty big nose. Very citrus and malty. I noticed it right away when I started pouring. I think I smell a bit of lemon and other citrus fruits. I'm not good at identifying malty characteristics, but theres some in there.

T - Citrus zest and a mellow hop finish (I'm an IPA drinker, so contradicting other reviews, this is mellow to me.) There's a smoothness that I can only call malt. My mouth is a little confused by the other flavors going on here (like I said, I'm not familiar with this style at all), but we're having fun and enjoying it too.

M - A very rich smoothness. Heavier than I anticipated thinking it would be extremely light and crisp being of the lager family. This beer pulls its own weight. Has a nice hops in the back of your throat after the sip.

D - I think this might be appropriate for a summer night, not a January night wrapped in a blanket and wearing layers of polar fleece as I am now. The sweet citrus of this beer makes me think of warmer weather with pleasantly cool nites.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Light orange/copper color...creamy white head..excellent clarity...looks the part...

S-Excellent, inviting aroma....toasted malts....mild caramel malts too...the malts dominate but there is a woodsy/herbal hop impression as well...damn good smelling.

T-Strong toasted malts drizzled with caramel up front...and then boom...a big hit of dryish hops....perhaps a bit strong on the dryish hop flavor...

M-Medium bodied..medium to lightly carbonated....clean, crisp impression

D-Really pretty spot-on for the style...don't care for the excessive dry hop finish...other than that this is pretty good..much more flavorful and impressive than Anchor Steam...

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish copper color with a white head. In the aroma, a small bitterness and a small sweet malt. In the taste, a small bitterness and kind of watery. A smooth, small bitter malt in the mouthfeel and a dry malty aftertaste. Small hop/ bitter and a nice malt, balanced and easy to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this beer after looking for about a month.

To start off, this beauty pours a fantastic orangish amber color. Lively carbonation fuels a supple white crown. The crown lingers throughout the beer, seeming to never end. The aroma is present, but nothing terribly exciting. I do get some citrusy notes, but overall I smell malts and some fruitiness.

The taste of this beer is fantastic. It fits the style perfectly w/ strong malts w/ an obvious fruitiness. Caramel and toffee flavors are in the background as well. The best part about this beer is the hops. This beer looks like a lager, smells like a lager and has hops like an IPA. Of course, this does not taste like an IPA though. It does bite like one. Very nice floral, citrusy flavors w/ grapefruit and even some lemon rind flavors. They do even provide some earthiness to the flavor. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but pretty solid for this style. The carbonation is very lively, but sometimes and can be a bit much.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. I could forsee myself drinking this on an almost daily basis. My only problem is that it only comes in bombers (at 4 bucks a pop too). Not that the price is bad, but I want to consume this in mass quantities. I hope that some day I'll see six packs in the store. For now I'll just have to buy the occasional bomber.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

22 oz. bottle with a cool label and great beer info. I really like that Flat Earth does this. Clear, robust copper body with a spittly, lacy, off-white head. Caramel-dipped bread malts, fruity sweetness, and crisp, snappy, spicy, floral hops. Toasted malt and biscuits up front. Caramel and light apple-y fruit sweetness mid-palate before hops take over. Bitter, floral, herbal, minty, and slightly resinous hop flavor. Hoppier than I was expecting. Very refreshing, dry finish. Medium bodied and very well made. I would buy this by the case in the summertime!

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

A-Pours crystal clear golden honey colored.Very little head,no lacing.

S-Nice malt and hop nose,both seem sweet.Hops are floral and earthy,malt is syrup and caramel.

T-Great malt flavor,great hop taste,great balance between the two.Aftertaste has a almost nutty or roasted touch,but has a earthy hop and yeast finish.

M-Clean and crisp,slightly bitter on palate.Light to medium bodied with low carbonation.

D-This is a very drinkable beer,smooth with a great malt taste and great balance overall.Carbonation may hurt appearance but does nothing to the taste or mouthfeel of this beer,if anything it makes it a easy and great choice to enjoy just one or for a session.

Element 115 from Flat Earth Brewing Company