Element 115 - Flat Earth Brewing Company

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

crystal clear dark amber with a rocky off white head that leaves very decent lacing. smell is fruity, berries. Taste is pretty clean. Some nice balance here. Niether the hops or the malt is jumping out at me, yet I can tell that both are there. the aftertaste is drying and nice. the feeling it leaves in the mouth is not quite right though, and not to my liking. Mouthfeel is creamy with good carbonation. A nice, easy to drink beer that I thoroughly enjoyed. (460 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hopdog for opening this...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white, soapy head that fades into a mild collar. Tiny spots of lacing left around the glass.
Smell is grainy, fruity, citrusy, caramel, cake, and sugary candy.
Taste is that of the aromas with a fruity, caramel mix standing out.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, dry, and yeasty. (356 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a clear amber-bronze color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is fruity with fresh cut grass. The taste has more grass than the aroma with a lingering bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer, but Flat Earth can do much better. (368 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color was a shade of copper. I was very disappointed to see almost no head or lacing. I could pick up on the strong hops and also some malt on the taste and smell. It was a little bitter and had dry finish. It had very little carbonation, nothing to write home about. (271 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a nice copper, with a non-existant head. There was no lacing to speak of either.

S- Definitely a steam beer, malty, hoppy.

T- Mostly malty with some nice hop balance. Nice dry hop finish. ; however, not a whole lot of complexity here, and a rather thin body.

M- VERY low carbonation that attributed to a very small body. More carbonation would make for a better body, resulting in a better beer.

D- Because of the thin body, the style suffer and thus, the drinkability suffers. (491 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

I have to first say I'm not the most familiar with this beer style. Also this is my first try of anything from Flat Earth! I did do my research first so I know what I'm getting into tho as far as style goes, and ironically we just had some Anchor Steam in the fridge last week. (had being the key word there)

A - A muted honey orange in color. Poured a small head, but it didn't stick around all that long. Very little lacing left on the glass, but the top of the beer isn't completely cleared.

S - Pretty big nose. Very citrus and malty. I noticed it right away when I started pouring. I think I smell a bit of lemon and other citrus fruits. I'm not good at identifying malty characteristics, but theres some in there.

T - Citrus zest and a mellow hop finish (I'm an IPA drinker, so contradicting other reviews, this is mellow to me.) There's a smoothness that I can only call malt. My mouth is a little confused by the other flavors going on here (like I said, I'm not familiar with this style at all), but we're having fun and enjoying it too.

M - A very rich smoothness. Heavier than I anticipated thinking it would be extremely light and crisp being of the lager family. This beer pulls its own weight. Has a nice hops in the back of your throat after the sip.

D - I think this might be appropriate for a summer night, not a January night wrapped in a blanket and wearing layers of polar fleece as I am now. The sweet citrus of this beer makes me think of warmer weather with pleasantly cool nites. (1,510 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Light orange/copper color...creamy white head..excellent clarity...looks the part...

S-Excellent, inviting aroma....toasted malts....mild caramel malts too...the malts dominate but there is a woodsy/herbal hop impression as well...damn good smelling.

T-Strong toasted malts drizzled with caramel up front...and then boom...a big hit of dryish hops....perhaps a bit strong on the dryish hop flavor...

M-Medium bodied..medium to lightly carbonated....clean, crisp impression

D-Really pretty spot-on for the style...don't care for the excessive dry hop finish...other than that this is pretty good..much more flavorful and impressive than Anchor Steam... (657 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish copper color with a white head. In the aroma, a small bitterness and a small sweet malt. In the taste, a small bitterness and kind of watery. A smooth, small bitter malt in the mouthfeel and a dry malty aftertaste. Small hop/ bitter and a nice malt, balanced and easy to drink. (302 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this beer after looking for about a month.

To start off, this beauty pours a fantastic orangish amber color. Lively carbonation fuels a supple white crown. The crown lingers throughout the beer, seeming to never end. The aroma is present, but nothing terribly exciting. I do get some citrusy notes, but overall I smell malts and some fruitiness.

The taste of this beer is fantastic. It fits the style perfectly w/ strong malts w/ an obvious fruitiness. Caramel and toffee flavors are in the background as well. The best part about this beer is the hops. This beer looks like a lager, smells like a lager and has hops like an IPA. Of course, this does not taste like an IPA though. It does bite like one. Very nice floral, citrusy flavors w/ grapefruit and even some lemon rind flavors. They do even provide some earthiness to the flavor. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but pretty solid for this style. The carbonation is very lively, but sometimes and can be a bit much.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. I could forsee myself drinking this on an almost daily basis. My only problem is that it only comes in bombers (at 4 bucks a pop too). Not that the price is bad, but I want to consume this in mass quantities. I hope that some day I'll see six packs in the store. For now I'll just have to buy the occasional bomber. (1,353 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

22 oz. bottle with a cool label and great beer info. I really like that Flat Earth does this. Clear, robust copper body with a spittly, lacy, off-white head. Caramel-dipped bread malts, fruity sweetness, and crisp, snappy, spicy, floral hops. Toasted malt and biscuits up front. Caramel and light apple-y fruit sweetness mid-palate before hops take over. Bitter, floral, herbal, minty, and slightly resinous hop flavor. Hoppier than I was expecting. Very refreshing, dry finish. Medium bodied and very well made. I would buy this by the case in the summertime! (560 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Pours crystal clear golden honey colored.Very little head,no lacing.

S-Nice malt and hop nose,both seem sweet.Hops are floral and earthy,malt is syrup and caramel.

T-Great malt flavor,great hop taste,great balance between the two.Aftertaste has a almost nutty or roasted touch,but has a earthy hop and yeast finish.

M-Clean and crisp,slightly bitter on palate.Light to medium bodied with low carbonation.

D-This is a very drinkable beer,smooth with a great malt taste and great balance overall.Carbonation may hurt appearance but does nothing to the taste or mouthfeel of this beer,if anything it makes it a easy and great choice to enjoy just one or for a session. (671 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Bright, slightly dirtied, faded orange with a slimming golden cast to its body. Small, thin capping of lightly yellowed firm froth that shares a few bigger bubbles in its mist of foam. Fades quickly to a thin collar and a thin wave or two of skinny fingered lacing.

Aroma is clean and light with some light berryness and pear peels over some light grains and grasses. Semi smokey in a way with a yeasty doughy aspect of dryness.

Taste is pretty good with a complexingly subtle tone and character that leads one subtle tone to another with one very easy glide of crystal malt-like smoothness. Smooth and clear upfront with a eager little berry essenced malt sweetness. Gradual yet quick snap to a doughy grained center of yeasty estered dryness comes in and balances out to a firm lofty finish of slight lemon zest, crunchy pretzeled bread edges, and some leftover yeasty stuff thats tenderly earthy like fresh picked mushrooms that have been washed in hard water.

Feel is about medium with a bit of a thinnish front that is really the only partial compliant, as it makes up for it as it goes it gets a bigger body and growth of flavors and length as it snaps into place the rest of the way. Even though this has its complexities, I needed a bit more out of it other then the yeasty play that seems to be the main attirbute of the Flat Earth line thus far. Enough with the yeast alreay, give me some more malt and hops please. But, be that as it may, its a pretty solid brew that is fairly enjoyable for its bomber worth. Beyond that, it become tiresome? (1,556 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bomber into a chalice. It is light ambered in color with almost no head. Very little lacing. The beer appears to be lifeless. This is a bad sign.

I get a little musty funkiness and sweet malt in the aroma.

The taste is a bit weak. The malt character is not that complex. It does have a nice hop bitterness on finish. It feels thin and totally flat. It is not a bad tasting beer but the poor condition of the bottled product makes it very hard to drink. There must be some QC problems with the bottling process as I have had one of their Belgium ales that was in the same sad condition. I will have to wait a few months before I revisit Flat Earth's beer and hopefully things improve in their bottling process.

Another bottle sampled Date 08/15/08
This bottle has carbonation. A small head with moderate sticky lacing. Much better tasting as well with a nice toasted malt and hop bitterness. Nice carbonation adds to the enjoyment of this beer. Overall I will raise the score 1 point in each catagory. (1,017 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Clear copper body and a big, bubbly off white head. Lacing is sporadic. Aroma is quite nice. Sweet caramel like malts and nice fruitiness. Fruits come at you with pear pulp, apple skin and concord grapes. Yeast adds a little doughy dimension to the nose. This flavor profile is quite interesting. It's got the appropriate clean malt flavors. But also some pizazz. This is coming from the spicy hops and estery yeastiness. It's a great touch to this beer. Honeyed malts form a nice base. Pepper notes accent nicely as well. The beer could use a little more carbonation. It's not flat, but is on that side of the spectrum. Body is about medium or so. It goes down quite easily as it is very flavorful. (699 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

My first review, please excuse the course descriptions I hope to get the hang of it soon.

Poured from tap into glass mug.

App- Light reddish, it is clear but I am also seeing a slight haze. I am getting a good 3 fingers of head with each pour, it breaks down quickly leaving a nice lattice-work of lace and a thin cap of foam which persists to the bottom.

Smell- A very nice citrus hop aroma.

Taste- Good bright hop flavor right away, finishes with some bitterness and alcohol, I am not sure how to descripe the malt, but it is in there.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and refreshing upfront, slightly dry at the end.

Drinkability- Very drinkable compared to bigger IPAs I generally enjoy.
The finish leaves you wanting another sip but not gasping for air and water!

I hope I passed the audition. (791 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at the Blue Nile.

Very clear, light golden beer with a small but reasonably well maitained head.
Simple and pleasant aroma, hoppy and fruity.
Light on the palate, and refreshing but rather simple. Mild caramel maltiness, somewhat overpowered by the fruity hoppiness.
Pleasant brew, but nothing spectacular, which is what I usually get from "California commons". (374 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer appears to have been reformulated since its initial release, and to me it is all the better for it. It pours a clear light amber-brown, with a small white head that fades quickly. There is a pleasant malty smell. Now, the taste is of a biscuity maltiness, with a slight brown sugar sweetness, finishing with a hint of hop goodness on the tip of the tongue. Initially, the hop flavor was much more pronounced, to the detriment of the other more delicate flavors. The only other beer of this style that I've tried(Anchor)is not particularly hoppy either. The mouthfeel is nice and full and it goes down easily. This is a nice version of a(for the Twin Cities)rarely brewed style. (687 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Clear, light amber/ orange-hued...nice 1/2" of head on top, staying...

Aroma is soft, malty, light fruit....pleasing.

Taste: delish! A tidy package of tasty malt and smoothness. What means "smoothness"? Goes down with ease and holds the flavor all the way. Yeast and malt impart some apricot, peach, a little lemon, but the bready, biscuity character from the malt rides sidecar and eventually steals the show.

A delightful, drinkable, very flavorful brew.
I could drink a ton of this throughout the summer. I hope plenty of people do...a terrific effort #2 from Jeff Williamson and Flat Earth. Makes me really eager to taste beer #3. (645 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Tasted this one at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. It poured a golden-amber color (oh no, is this going to be another boring amber?) with a light tan head. The first thing I smell is HOPS. A good sign so far. My first taste leads to a surprising thicker mouthfeel considering the color and lager style. The malt profile is bready and sweet but not heavy and balances out nicely with the assertive hops. Interesting hop flavors of pine, grapfruit, and citrus. This beer is complex as I can clearly pick out the smoothness of lager and the malty ale characteristics. It's a beer that will make you say hmmmm. Good to see a California common fresh from MN that delivers. Oh, and I found out from the brewer that Element 115 is an undiscovered element on the Periodic Table, however, experts claim that combined with another element it is what makes UFO's fly. Cool. (863 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

This is beer is a little simple for beer geek, but I can see it being a nice gateway beer for the friends of beer geeks. The malt is very mellow with a little caramel and the flavor is dominated but hops fruit flavors. It was highly drinkable. Nothing special, but tasty nonetheless. (283 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Tried this one on tap last night. Appeared a golden/copper color and clear. Smell is 'woodsy' with a lot of pine and grass type aromas. Very interesting hopping. Taste follows along the same lines. Nice beer, drinkable. I will try another one next time I spot it somewhere. (273 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

I had the pleasure of trying this beer on two occasions over the past few days and am glad to see yet another nice offering from Flat Earth. The beer pours a translucent copper color with a small, foamy white head. The aroma is slightly sweet with a complex hop aroma that runs the range from citrusy to grassy and floral. The flavor is crisp and malty with a pronounced hop glavor and bite. Great balance. The lager-like properties really shine in the flavor and mouthfeel. Drinkability? Surely I could sit down and have a few and enjoy the hell out of 'em. Good beer. Nice to see this style at a local brewery. (612 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Clear amber with virtually no head or lacing.

Smell: A light citrus aroma.

Taste: The hops make most of the impression here. Very grassy hop flavor at first, with a bready and earthy component that shows up more as the beer warms up.

Drinkability: Tasty, I'd have more than one if I didn't have to drive.

Had a pint of this new beer at the Happy Gnome. I haven't had too many steam beers, maybe I'll try another Anchor after this one. Flavorful, but not over the top, a solid beer. (505 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last