Cygnus X-1 - Flat Earth Brewing Company

Cygnus X-1Cygnus X-1

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Porter |  6.50% ABV

English Porter made with all imported English malt and hops, except for the rye malt.

(Beer added by: tavernjef on 09-12-2007)
1.85/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz. bottle.

Clear maple syrup amber brown body. Large, creamy, lacy, dark beige head. Good retention. Nose is, surprisingly full of sour cherries and lemon tartness. Uh-oh. Some scorched caramel and chocolate detectable, but mostly sour and woody. Taste is, as expected, overwhelmingly tart and sour. Overcarbonated and gushy, with unpleasant woody tartness. It's too bad, because I was really looking forward to trying this beer! Better luck next time Flat Earth.

alexgash, Feb 06, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -49.7%

No bottle date

A - Pours a deep brown with a finger of quickly dissipating head. Leaves no lacing.

S - Heavy coffee aroma, ,with some unpleasant funkiness. Uh-oh.

T - Initial taste is lemon tartness with some funk. Eventually, some coffee and roasted malt flavors come through, but this has clearly gone bad.

M - Very thin mouthfeel that finishes dry.

O - I've only had this for a week or so, but have no idea how old it is. Anyway, this was undrinkable. Bummer, as I was looking forward to trying this.

warnerry, Jan 07, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -42.6%

Purchased in the Twin Cities a few weeks ago and I am glad I only got one bomber. I was really looking forward to trying this beer but it really didn't impress me.

For an English Porter, had some funky smell and taste going on. Not clean. Bottle wasn't infected but it was just ...off. Some smoke flavoring but very very thin for this type of beer. I wanted something to stand out and say....yeah. But that never happened. Drain pour..No. But I won't be purchasing another one in a very long time considering there are MANY more better porters out there and for less money. This beer tasted CHEAP. Like it was made at the old Pig's Eye brewery. Come on guys, you can do better. If you are going to use a classic rock band's song for a beer, please make a quality product. I am afraid RUSH wouldn't be proud. No endorements from them or from me for that matter.

schellsbeer, Apr 14, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

Sampled on 1-27-09

Pours dark and hugely foamy, almost spilling over the sides of the glass. The foam settles to a thick tower, leaving craggy chunks of lacing.

Smell is clean but malty, with subtle aromas of smoke and anise.

Taste is oddly sour, slightly earthy, and that's about it. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel is super fizzy, and off-putting.

Drinkability is bad, taste and mouthfeel make it a chore to drink.

Overall, gross.

BMoney575, Jan 27, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -37%

Bomber poured into my pint glass. Pours a cloudy dark muddy brown with a thin tan head on top. Fair retention, but leaves little to no lacing. Smells like freshly ground coffee right off the bat, then this dulls to scents of earth and bread.

The mouth is pretty average. Some carbonation play, and slight creamy feel. This is a pretty sour porter. The roasted coffee flavors I was expecting are absent. In their place is a sour mineral flavor that isn't all that pleasant. I had higher expectations for this, but I couldn't even finish the bottle. Not impressed.

Onenote81, Oct 07, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Bottle from Jungle Jim's.

A - Poured a clear dark brown color with a large frothy brown head that lasted with good lacing.

S - Moderate biscuit malt, chocolate and smoke aroma.

T - Medium bitter & sour flavor with a medium bitter finish of moderate duration.

M - Medium body with a dry texture and lively carbonation.

D - My expectations where not met and I hope this was a single bad bottle.

tmoneyba, Jan 15, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Thanks to brewnic for the extra. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a dimpled glass. The body is dark brown/black and atop it is a finger sized, tan head that fades slowly and is somewhat bubbly. So far so good. The aroma here is coffee, chocolate, tart dark fruits, low-key, but noticeably skunky hops and a generalized roast fragrance that leans toward bread and cereal grains rather than specifically malt. Roasty coffee and chocolate notes bloom in the fore and then segue into yet sweeter notes of fruit malt. This arrangement is pleasing, but there exists a metallic background to the whole affair that is distracting, from a flavor standpoint. While I wish that metal twang would go away, it was kind of a deal killer for me. The mouth feel is mostly where it should be for the style; full carbonation. I can't say I was impressed with this beer and wouldn't want it again though I respect the style.

CuriousMonk, Feb 01, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber into a pint glass

Pours a dark mahogany color with a two inch light tan head. Retention is very good with some moderate lacing left behind.

Aroma is kind of funky overall. There's definitely some diacetyl, not exactly pleasing. A bit of chocolate, light fruit character. Quite average overall.

Taste is sour up front with some cherry/raspberry tartness. Some of the chocolate character as well but the tartness dominates. Diacetyl also comes through slightly, not really helping it out.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, good creamy texture, but the tartness takes something away from it.

I don't know if this was infected or it was supposed to taste like this, but I definitely didn't like it. Very disappointed.

roadhouse, Jun 10, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

bif_fat_sellout, Nov 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

mmulebarn, Nov 29, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured a medium brown with an enormous head that slowly faded to a one fingered one. The aroma, while chilled, was vinegar, but as it warmed you could smell the chocolate. The taste too, was very sour, like vinegar cut with soda water. The flavor was helped by warming, but not a great deal, and remained somewhat sour. Feel was light bodied, even for a porter, with only a small amount of carbonation that survived the head. Drinkability was only fair. I had been looking forward to trying something from Flat Earth and was a little disappointed. I had thought that the contents had spoiled or been infected, but too many reviewers expressed similar experience with X-1. Oddly, a large number reported the opposite, a malty sweetness, so something wasn't quite right. Reasonably priced and not terrible, but I'd be reluctant to try again.

kegger22, Sep 29, 2009

jwenzel019, Sep 25, 2014

fuzzcherry, Mar 27, 2012

Mervjahn, Mar 30, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Bottle into nonic willi glass in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average.

A: Pours a half finger khaki colour head of fair cream and thickness, but merely below average retention. Body colour is a solid dark black; nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Chocolate, roast, hints of vanilla, dark malts, and some sweetness. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Chocolate, dark malts, a bit of vanilla, but not much roast. Simply built, but decently balanced. I want more complexity and subtlety from it, but I don't get it.

Mf: A bit thin for the style. Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. Doesn't really complement the flavours. Too heavy on the palate for its lack of flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but not great for the style. Hides its ABV decently. I wouldn't want to finish the bottle by meself.

Low C+

kojevergas, Jan 01, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

I bought this at Stimmel's in OH for $5.99 a month ago, never seen it for sale again before or since. The beer is dark reddish brown colored, clear but with low light transmission, with an enourmous poofy foam that takes forever to recede. The smell is good, and in fact is the strongest attribute in my opinion. Loads of roasted malt and chocolate. The taste has a surprising amount of sourness in it, so much that I suspect there's something wrong with my bottle (maybe the bottle wasn't disinfected properly before filling, the flavor seems similar to a homebrew problem I had once). Anyway I can still get some chocolate flavor out of if but the sourness makes it difficult to enjoy. I'll try this again if I see it in MN, hopefully from a different batch, and revise the review in case I had a bad bottle.

TurdFurgison, Nov 11, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Review from notes 4/8/11. Thanks to bwiechmann for sending this to me for winning his LIF.

A: Pours a very very deep brown, almost black with a chunky one finger head. Nice retention and some random bubbles patches left behind.

S: Lots of roasted/burnt malt with some coffee and hints of chocolate.

T: Overwhelmingly coffee flavored, which really is not my type of beer. There is also some chocolate and a little bit of sweetness.

M: Light to medium bodied, seemed a touch thin. Finishes a little dry.

O: Not a huge fan, mostly of the flavor profile. It was just too much coffee for me. If it had a little more chocolate or roast and was a little thicker, I think it would have done the trick for me.

mdaschaf, Apr 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with a half finger of off white head. As the head fades it leaves a ring but no lacing.

Smell: Mild overall with some roast and dark chocolate notes. I'm getting some coffee like notes along with dark fruit.

Taste: Roasty up front with some mild dark chocolate. The malt sweetness has a hint of dark fruit like tartness to it. The finish is still tart and a bit roasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive carbonation that's a bit much. The finish is slightly dry.

Overall: I didn't get much from the rye. I can't say I was a big fan of this beer. I don't think I would want another.

oline73, Aug 14, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

The last bottle of this I bought was super old and I emailed the brewery about it and they gave me two free ones. At least this one was fresh, or I'm hoping it is fresh enough. Wish breweries would date stamp or put a best by date on everything.

A: Deep, deep brown, pretty much black with a small light khaki head that fads quick.

S: A nice roasted malt base with some coco powder and a bit nutty.

T: Not as good as the nose. Falls a little flat, not much depth. What is there is is some roasted malt, a tiny bit of chocolate, coffee and you can taste the rye malt coming through. It provides a nice little interesting kick. Finish has a bit of astringent malts, but they fade super fast to nothing.

M: A medium-light body, a tad bit watery. Carbonation is on the higher side.

O: Meh. Not my favorite. Too bad since its local and they have been around since Surly.

herman77, Apr 21, 2012