Winter Warlock - Flat Earth Brewing Company

English Barleywine |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 03-09-2008

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Kind of a glowing yellow orangish hue, thin head that mainly forms a ring. The aroma is of biscuity malt, sweet toasted grains, fruity notes of plums, grapes, pears, and spiciness I think from the yeast, maybe a bit from the malt, peppery with some cloves. The taste has a lot of the same going on. Toasted, biscuity malt, substancial body to it, but I wouldn't call it "heavy" if you will. Some stickiness to it to let you know its barleywine-esque. Plenty of fruity notes, but lighter white and green fruit, white grape skins and apples. Hops are there but far from over powering, mainly perfumy and floral. Quite spicy and peppery with some lemon zest.

Overall: I reviewed this on-tap at Stub and Erbs, and judging from others reviews, it seems that on tap it was a bit spicier, because the peppery spicy notes were one of the biggest take aways from this beer for me. Where as from the bombers, people have tended to lean toward the fruity side. I wouldn't call this a typical barleywine, but it seems that might be the best catagory if it had to fit in somewhere, I am thinking imperial amber though with the toasty malt. I love beers that have lighter fruity flavors light white grapes and pears so this one was right up my ally. I felt the alcohol was hidden well, I thought it was more around 7 or 8%. (1,310 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Semi hazey peachy golden hue with a firm, slimming foam that doesn't last long. Keeps a thin ring of foam at the base and has a few spots of lacing tossed about and sticking to the glass.

Aroma is lofty yet soft and toned in a welcoming mild and clean scent of some golden promise-like malt sweetness, breadish and doughy with touches of white raisin, dried orange, toffee, and banana; which especially seep as it warms.

Taste encompasses the idea of the aroma with a fairly mellow but broadly placed heft of soothing soft and mildly tamed sweetness of malts. Semi bready, mostly sweet with a alluring little softness to toffee and a dullishly orange grated background. Hints at some white raisin and dried tropical fruity stuff as it sticks a firm glue of malty goo and chew. It grows on you as it goes, as at first I was unimpressed, but as I got half way through the bomber it got more likeable with a nice deft in character and tonality.

Feel is clean and soft with a hefty yet yielding balance of malty cloying goodness. Keeps a upfornt rib sticking, palate covering mildness of malty fun yummyness as its overall nature. Creamy, slippery, slick with a bit of stick.

A good malt profile and an easy going mildness in flavor, tone, and body make this a decent and overall yummy little drinkin Barleywine. Perhaps not as dark and deceptive as some other English styled BW's I like, but this fits the bill well enough. For a change of pace this stuff is suited well and made well. Thanks Flat Earth! (1,507 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Into my Flat Earth snifter you go, Winter Warlock....the name and occasion is apt, as I thought last week, when we spent time in summery sun and basked in 60-degree weather, and the melting snow slipped out the sins of winter, that spring was finally here, at last. I was the fool, and the magician who rules the weather made a mockery of my delight...we're back at winter again, for awhile, and it's warlock now rules us. Aw, well... on to investigate this ale.You are golden, sorcerer, with a quickly gone head... your aroma is mostly rich, sweet, boozy malt...I'm not feeling much more from it. Taste: more slick, more sweet, more malt, more booze...not exactly what I expect from the barleywines I enjoy most, and have historically found to my favor, but it is quite nice in it's own regard. Lacks the hops of many of those, and leans heavily on the malt...something about that dynamic takes it somewhere else, indeed. Golden, bright, crisp, and, yes, boozy...the 9 % isn't shy at all. Not that I'm complaining.I think Jeff Williamson has a thing for Fantasy/Sci-Fi/sword & sorcery,Tolkien, mythology, etc...not that I've played Dungeons & Dragons with him, but I bet if you played craps at his house, the dice would be twelve-sided. Sweetness is just right for a dessert or a nightcap, and the alcoholic warmth is well-needed in chilly evening (okay, mornings) as this... 'tis a fine ale...works nice, tonight ...another winner from Flat Earth. (1,449 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

An underrated gem from an underrated brewery.

Great looking beer....deep golden with amber highlights...perfect egg white head sits on top...

A lot of"woodsy" fuggles hop notes on the nose, along with a biscuity maltiness...seems in the "english' style which is what they were shooting for.

Hard to believe this is 9%....VERY smooth and HIGHLY drinkable. Really a sweeter style Barley Wine and I love BW's that lean sweet. The fuggles definitely are present on the finish but the first impression is the sweet biscuity malt....it never even borders on cloying though....clean mouthfeel...

Body is medium to medium full. Smooth.

A very enjoyable BW...I imagine if you put this in a Surly can people would go absolutely nuts about it. No knock on Surly as I love their beers but Flat Earth clearly has not established the "wow" factor among the masses.

This is a quality brew that might be priced a little high for some at 6.29 for a 22 ounce bomber but who gives a fuck...this is a relatively new brewer trying to make a go of it, and if I gotta pay an extra buck to keep them in business so they continue to make great beers like this I will gladly do so. (1,162 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Split a bomber I picked up at Princeton Liquors.

This is a pretty cool beer for a couple reasons. First off, you just don't see many golden barleywines, so this beer is fairly unique. Second, it's damn drinkable. 9% what?

That said, it pours a yellow gold with a short white head. The aroma is big on biscuit malt with a bit of the Fuggles (this beer is all Fuggles) hops and their grassy, herbal citrus punch coming through. The flavor has those same biscuity malts but with a mellow esters that come off a bit like peach jam. That flavor combination makes me wonder about the breakfast-beer potential. The hops come in at the end to provide an earthy citrus kick that is enough to leave a nice lasting bitterness and balance out the malts. The mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, which matched with the medium carbonation, makes this drink like a much milder beer.

Overall, this beer is expertly balanced and dangerously drinkable. This is a beer to seek out if you're in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. (1,012 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance:
Deep gold in color, medium white head, mudium laceing.

Smell:
Huge malt smell, alot of sweetness, some bready notes.

Drinkability:
Its interesting, very complex, not a chugger but piculiar flavors. Its drinkable, but not the barley wine I had suspected. I'd buy it again.

Taste:
This beer is very complex, but off the bat there is a huge malt bill, with perfect sweatness. Piculiar pepperconrn middle with warm alcahol notes, not hot, but definatly spicey .I'm surprsed at the malts presence because the hops still come out swinging in the end. bready grain flavor and a hoppy spicey finish.
The bitters from the spice are foreign to me, its sweet and sour at the same time.

As it has warmed, much of the sweatness has dropped out, the bitter hoppy notes are still present, as are the complicated spicieness.

This is a 22oz brown bomber. Cost was $5.99, a bit spendy, but I dont regret the purchase. At 9% ABV, I'd expect more out of my $5.99. (963 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into my Flat Earth Belgian snifter.

Appearance: Deep gold, good sized head, some bubbles rising through the beer, good lacing.

Smell: Sweet grains, a little toffee as it warms up.

Taste: A really interesting mix of flavors. When cold it hits me with a toffee flavor and a peppery finish. As it warms up I get more grainy sweetness instead of the toffee.

Drinkability: Somewhat hard to find but pick it up if you see it.

I had my first taste of this at the brewery tour in January and finally saw a bottle of it at Cellar's. It's definitely on the English side of barleywines in that the hops take a back seat to the malt. Very good beer! (649 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Slightly hazed rich looking golden body. Thin white head. Lace comes in sporadic patches. Very nice mellow maltiness on the nose. Similar in a way to a Blonde Dopplebock aroma. Nice mellow malt profile on the palate as well. Fairly rich with only trace amounts of alcohol noted. (An accomplishment since this is a very fresh sample of their 9% ale.) I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess quite a bit of Golden Promise was used here. There's such a unique and smooth mellow maltiness. Very enjoyable. There's also a nice little spiciness. Body's close to medium-full. Carbonation is appropriately restrained. This will be a welcome addition to my Winter "go-to" beers in the years to come. (687 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last