Winter Warlock - Flat Earth Brewing Company

Winter WarlockWinter Warlock

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Barleywine |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 03-09-2008)
4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Into my Flat Earth snifter you go, Winter Warlock....the name and occasion is apt, as I thought last week, when we spent time in summery sun and basked in 60-degree weather, and the melting snow slipped out the sins of winter, that spring was finally here, at last. I was the fool, and the magician who rules the weather made a mockery of my delight...we're back at winter again, for awhile, and it's warlock now rules us. Aw, well... on to investigate this ale.You are golden, sorcerer, with a quickly gone head... your aroma is mostly rich, sweet, boozy malt...I'm not feeling much more from it. Taste: more slick, more sweet, more malt, more booze...not exactly what I expect from the barleywines I enjoy most, and have historically found to my favor, but it is quite nice in it's own regard. Lacks the hops of many of those, and leans heavily on the malt...something about that dynamic takes it somewhere else, indeed. Golden, bright, crisp, and, yes, boozy...the 9 % isn't shy at all. Not that I'm complaining.I think Jeff Williamson has a thing for Fantasy/Sci-Fi/sword & sorcery,Tolkien, mythology, etc...not that I've played Dungeons & Dragons with him, but I bet if you played craps at his house, the dice would be twelve-sided. Sweetness is just right for a dessert or a nightcap, and the alcoholic warmth is well-needed in chilly evening (okay, mornings) as this... 'tis a fine ale...works nice, tonight ...another winner from Flat Earth.

4.13/5  rDev +9%

An underrated gem from an underrated brewery.

Great looking beer....deep golden with amber highlights...perfect egg white head sits on top...

A lot of"woodsy" fuggles hop notes on the nose, along with a biscuity maltiness...seems in the "english' style which is what they were shooting for.

Hard to believe this is 9%....VERY smooth and HIGHLY drinkable. Really a sweeter style Barley Wine and I love BW's that lean sweet. The fuggles definitely are present on the finish but the first impression is the sweet biscuity malt....it never even borders on cloying though....clean mouthfeel...

Body is medium to medium full. Smooth.

A very enjoyable BW...I imagine if you put this in a Surly can people would go absolutely nuts about it. No knock on Surly as I love their beers but Flat Earth clearly has not established the "wow" factor among the masses.

This is a quality brew that might be priced a little high for some at 6.29 for a 22 ounce bomber but who gives a fuck...this is a relatively new brewer trying to make a go of it, and if I gotta pay an extra buck to keep them in business so they continue to make great beers like this I will gladly do so.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Split a bomber I picked up at Princeton Liquors.

This is a pretty cool beer for a couple reasons. First off, you just don't see many golden barleywines, so this beer is fairly unique. Second, it's damn drinkable. 9% what?

That said, it pours a yellow gold with a short white head. The aroma is big on biscuit malt with a bit of the Fuggles (this beer is all Fuggles) hops and their grassy, herbal citrus punch coming through. The flavor has those same biscuity malts but with a mellow esters that come off a bit like peach jam. That flavor combination makes me wonder about the breakfast-beer potential. The hops come in at the end to provide an earthy citrus kick that is enough to leave a nice lasting bitterness and balance out the malts. The mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, which matched with the medium carbonation, makes this drink like a much milder beer.

Overall, this beer is expertly balanced and dangerously drinkable. This is a beer to seek out if you're in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance:
Deep gold in color, medium white head, mudium laceing.

Smell:
Huge malt smell, alot of sweetness, some bready notes.

Drinkability:
Its interesting, very complex, not a chugger but piculiar flavors. Its drinkable, but not the barley wine I had suspected. I'd buy it again.

Taste:
This beer is very complex, but off the bat there is a huge malt bill, with perfect sweatness. Piculiar pepperconrn middle with warm alcahol notes, not hot, but definatly spicey .I'm surprsed at the malts presence because the hops still come out swinging in the end. bready grain flavor and a hoppy spicey finish.
The bitters from the spice are foreign to me, its sweet and sour at the same time.

As it has warmed, much of the sweatness has dropped out, the bitter hoppy notes are still present, as are the complicated spicieness.

This is a 22oz brown bomber. Cost was $5.99, a bit spendy, but I dont regret the purchase. At 9% ABV, I'd expect more out of my $5.99.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into my Flat Earth Belgian snifter.

Appearance: Deep gold, good sized head, some bubbles rising through the beer, good lacing.

Smell: Sweet grains, a little toffee as it warms up.

Taste: A really interesting mix of flavors. When cold it hits me with a toffee flavor and a peppery finish. As it warms up I get more grainy sweetness instead of the toffee.

Drinkability: Somewhat hard to find but pick it up if you see it.

I had my first taste of this at the brewery tour in January and finally saw a bottle of it at Cellar's. It's definitely on the English side of barleywines in that the hops take a back seat to the malt. Very good beer!

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%

Slightly hazed rich looking golden body. Thin white head. Lace comes in sporadic patches. Very nice mellow maltiness on the nose. Similar in a way to a Blonde Dopplebock aroma. Nice mellow malt profile on the palate as well. Fairly rich with only trace amounts of alcohol noted. (An accomplishment since this is a very fresh sample of their 9% ale.) I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess quite a bit of Golden Promise was used here. There's such a unique and smooth mellow maltiness. Very enjoyable. There's also a nice little spiciness. Body's close to medium-full. Carbonation is appropriately restrained. This will be a welcome addition to my Winter "go-to" beers in the years to come.

Winter Warlock from Flat Earth Brewing Company