Convention Ale - Flat Earth Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Flat Earth Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Ragingbull on 08-10-2008)
Reviews by beerkittycat:
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance is clear brown with ruby highlights and an off-white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is a mix of faint flowery hops and malty esters reminding me of raisins and toast. Flavor is a smooth mixture of estery malt goodness like raisin, black cherry, dark bitter chocolate and maybe a hint of smoke. I also taste a little dark and toasty malts. Rather complex mix of malt flavors dance well with familiar Belgian yeast esters of spice and clove. Very interesting. Mouthfeel is medium to medium light and is definately easy to swallow as it says on the label. Finishes dry with a touch of sweetness. Restrained hop bitterness makes this a pretty smooth beer for quaffing. A great session beer.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Popped the cap and there was tremendous pressure released. Started to pour and the glass was filled with foam with just a 1/2" of liquid in the bottom of the glass. After some time I was able to get a full glass of ale. Reddish brown color with a large head. Retention is good and plenty of lacing is left on the glass.

Smells fruity with a sour, wild ale component. Is this what is intended? I was expecting a malty beer.

The taste is very different as well. Plums, cherries and overall mild sour taste. No hops are noticed. A very faint barnyard, funky quality in the flavor.

The body is on the lighter side of medium with abundant, bordering on harsh and gushing carbonation. Annoying trying to fill the glass.

If one is expecting a American Red Ale, you will be surprised. Not really a full blown sour beer but it is definately apparent to this drinker. I will probably pass on this the next time.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to Jay23 for sharing this.

"Unique Red Ale" was the language on the label.

Pours an opaque brownish-amber. It has good head retention with some spotty lace. Bready aroma, some spicy rye and some kind of sour berry.

Belgian ale yeast character, with some moderate tartness upfront. Tart cherry, malty with a cereal note in the middle. Finish is tangy and not especially clean, verging on a sour lactic quality. Tiny bitter green grapes.

Overly carbonated, which doesn't really compliment the flavor or add much to the feel.

The funky aftertaste is a dealbreaker for this beer. It's sort of a half-hearted Flanders Red mixed with a Brown Ale. I love sour stuff, but this held no appeal for me.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

When Flat Earth started out, their stated philosophy was to brew styles not commonly found in the area. With two other local craft brewers(Summit and Surly)both making a plethora of styles, I thought at the time "What styles are left?" I have to say that Flat Earth has met and exceeded the challenge of making uncommon beer styles and making them well. For example, take this one, described as a Belgian Red Ale. Served from the bottle(I hope some bar in town gets a keg and serves it on tap!), this pours a dark red/amber color, with a small off-white head that quickly dissipates, leaving no lacing on the glass. The smell is fruity and tart. The taste is fruity, with plum and cherry notes, as well as a tart, almost sour flavor. A grainy maltiness provides a nice contrast to the fruitiness. There is no overt hop flavor, but the beer is crisp and easily drinkable. This is another solid offering from Flat Earth!

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

I called this a Belgian Pale ale but the brewers actually call it a red ale. I will erase this disclaimer when the BA site is updated as I already sent in the update request.

This beer has a dark amber color that verges on a copper color when held to the sunlight. Decent head (1/4" or so) when poured into a 20 oz. "pint glass." This bottle was 22 oz. so I chose the largest glass I had that would allow me to see the beer. The head has decent staying power as the prickle is active but only slowly breaks the head down. I can smell a nice malty nose even as I am pouring the beer into the glass so I am expecting big things from the nose. It is a malt dominant nose with some underlying chocolate and caramel tones. It smells "smooth." The attack is light compared to the nose. The beer is light bodied with some mild hops in the attack and the finish, but it delivers on the "malty" promise that the nose makes. Touches of chocolate and caramel in the flavor. There is a nice balance between the malt and hops and its a very good beer. It is much better than most "novelty" beers so not only is it a catchy name and fetching label, but its a beer that is actually a great beer. The mouthfeel is slightly thicker than average. The appearance is good but nothing out of the ordinary. There are lots of flavors to enjoy in this beer. I would call it a B+ and would only consider going higher, not lower.

Some of the technical specifics:
Belgian pale, biscuit, carapils, chocolate and wheat malts; Saaz and Fuggle hops; Belgian ale yeast and St. Paul water.

O.G. 1.054
SRM 17
IBU 38
ABC 5.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

May I have another? Wow. This is my favorite of the two brand new Flat Earth bottles that have found their way into bottles. I'm impressed.

It pours a nice ruby/mahogany color with a small, tight, white head. The aroma is toasty and biscuity with notes of dark fruit and maybe a little brown sugar. There's a lot going on here, and I mean that in only the very best way. The flavor is full of subtleties... more biscuit, a little caramel, toffee, plum, a little roastiness... all very well blended. Belgian yeast notes come through as well. Very good. The beer is crisp and slightly dry on the tongue and has just a hint of tart/sour. Very drinkable, very enjoyable. Like I said, I'd like another. Very good.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Deep hues of mahogany and burgandy set the tone. Clarity is very good. A slight cap of beige cream leaves some sporadic spots of lace. Nice unassuming hop aroma laying on top of the biscuity belgian like malt aromas. Slight fruit on the nose as well. A somewhat interesting blend of malt flavors on the palate. Some toffee and caramel and a little biscuit. Almost too much going on in the malt department. For that reason I believe, this one just doesn't appeal to me very much. It doesn't synergize on my palate. Hops are subtle. There's a slight phenolic presence that is out of place as well. Probably my least favorite of a solid Flat Earth lineup so far.

Pours a nice reddish colour with a thin head. Minimal lace, minimal retention. Smells fruity and earthy with a hint of lemon zest. Flavour is what I would call Belgian. Esters and clove with a nice almost roasty malt character to it. Hops are subdued but they give the beer a pleasing and refreshing bitterness. Mouthfeel is very light. Carbonation was medium. I could drink this all day. Great beer from a great brewery.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Yet another Flat Earth brew in a flurry of new releases.

This beer pours a dark amber color w/ slight toffee brown undertones. A nice, crisp, off white head is present. Just enough carbonation. The aroma isn't terribly strong. I get some yeasty aromas initially. This is followed by the scent of raisens. I think the aromas were a decoy for the flavor to ambush you. I love the flavors in this brew. The malts definitely predominate. First off you get a nice caramel sweetness. This evolves into a pleasant fruitiness reminiscent of raisens or plums. The beer finishes with a slight chocolately flavor and a final fruity sweetness. The hops are there only to balance the beer out. There is some bitterness, but just in the background. The mouthfeel is light to medium and crisp.

I must say that I was pretty impressed with this beer. I was expecting a standard "red ale" but I was amazed by the depth of the maltiness. It has inspired me to brew an amber ale with a similar malty profile. I can't say this is a Belgian Pale Ale or if it is a Red Ale. I really think it is its own style. A Belgian Red Ale would be the appropriate class in my opinion. Nevertheless, please try this Belgian Red. It is worth it.

Clear, reddish brown, thin layer of beige foam above.

Apples and cherries in the aroma, leaning toward the sour side. Rich and malty, like roasted fruit. (Baked apples?)

More of that in the flavor. Very even, smooth feel, just slightly sour, with well-balanced dark fruit feel. Refreshing, mellow, and easy to drink.

Very classy brew, another seldom imitated, semi-obscure style duplicated by Flat Earth. I'd like to see this again, under a new name perhaps.

Convention Ale from Flat Earth Brewing Company