Dark Force - HaandBryggeriet

good

HaandBryggeriet visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 06-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Force Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked up a 500 mL bottle from the Whole Foods in Cary NC. The label on the side said batch 73, which I've seen reviewed here before. I started off with the beer at refrigrerator temperatures... 40F or so. I then spent most of the next hour sampling it as it warmed up.

Poured most of the beer into a Chimay chalice, creating a generous 2 finger head.

This beer is virtually pitch black, even when held up to a 60 W bulb.

I smell some dark fruitiness amid stronger aromas of chocolate and leather. There's also a bit of smokiness.

The taste was totally underwhelming and harsh at 40F. However, as the beer has warmed up, I have warmed up to it. At closer to 60F, there is a strong cocoa flavor up front, with some bitterness and alcohol warming in the back of the mouth. In fact, the alcohol aftertaste detracts from the mouthfeel somewhat.

I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, so I'm not seeing what the wheat is contributing to this beer. It tastes similar to a chocolate stout I made myself about a year ago.

Overall, it's definitely something to try, especially if you're a fan of dark beers. Good, but not great. Give me an Old Rasputin instead.

PS The label is AWESOME... definitely a case of the label catching my eye.

ewright, Oct 25, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

An Imperial Stout from Norway brewed with wheat, I'm in. Poured in to my new Ommegang goblet a cool black color, with a head that looked rather dark at first, but upon settling, looked more white/tan. The heading also held up very well, clinging to the sides of the glass. Smell brought on some black burnt coffee beans, perhaps some dark unsweetened chocolate, and a very smoky presence.Taste is very very roasted and smoky, more so than I was expecting. Definitely has coffee flavors, and a very earthy personality. The wheat on this brew was not all that prevalent, however I suspect that the other strong tastes mask it. Mouthfeel is pretty damn big on this brew. Alcohol is also well hidden, which is a good thing considering all of the other flavors. This is a most interesting and enjoyable stout from this brewery, which until now I had not heard of. If I see more of their beers at the store, I will definitely be picking some up. Cheers

jamie2dope, Oct 25, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

(Served in a weizen glass)
Described as a Double Extreme Imperial Wheat Stout on the bottle
A-This beer has an opaque black body with a strong carbonation of micro-bubbles that glide up the sides of the glass. The super thick head of tan sticks to the glass after each sip and last for the full beer.

S- The smell of white wheat and fresh white paper has a yeasty note and a burnt marshmallow. There were some dark black roasted malt notes that come through as the beer warms.

T- The taste of dark burnt flavor has a soft wheat dough note followed by a black coffee malt flavor and bitterness that lingers. There are notes of light smoke and tar notes. There is a nice bubble gum note that is dry and soft adding a nice twist to the black malt. There are also some fruity dry prunes notes and yeasty notes that come through as it warms.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz in the finish. There is no alcohol heat until the beer warms and in boost the bitter finish nicely.

D- This beer has a wonderful robust big black malt flavor with a nice twist of wheat beer flavors. This does have the black roasted flavor to qualify as a double imperial stout. I bet some age might as a nice twist to this.

rhoadsrage, Oct 16, 2007

A: Pours a nice dark deep hue of black, you could pass it off as a huge glass of espresso with its perfectly smooth frothy head. The head dies down to a nice collar with an island in the middle.

S: I like my stouts to be bigger and bolder in the nose than this one. That being said what I was able to pick up was very nice. It is very deep and earthy in a faint sort of way. It is pretty smoked. I detect burnt coffee, over caramelized brown sugar, and of course dark Belgian chocolate. There is a touch of fruit in there as well, dark fruit like raisins or figs with a touch of booze.

T: I really like this one. It's a very deep dark stout. Dark fire roasted espresso leads the way. It has a Smokey touch. The chocolate is there in moderation as is a hint of cigar tobacco. It's a very nice tasting stout that hides it’s ABV well, it is rather enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied, very smooth and very creamy.

D: Rather enjoyable. Like most RIS it's a one bottle beer, but I must say it’s a rather enjoyable bottle.

Overall: There are better RIS' out there for the price ($10 a bottle) but this one is very nice. It has a big dark Smokey taste that is very inviting. It is a very complex beer that was rather enjoyable. The strange thing is its double extreme wheat stout (or so the label says). I don't know how they made such a big beer from wheat but they pulled it off nicely.

Haand Bryggeriet claims to be a small scale operation that brews from a strange country far far away (Norway). There are Star Wars references all over the bottle one of which is they boldly go where no brewery has gone before. If this RIS is made with wheat I have to agree. It's a unique beer that is worth seeking out. May Haand Bryggeriet live long and prosper... wait that's the wrong 80's cheesy sci-fi show. Ok I got it, May the force be with them... the dark force that is!

tpd975, Oct 13, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

(Batch #74)

Appearance: Pours a black body with garnet-hued edges and an immense, tan-colored head.

Smell: An aroma truly immersed in dark, roasted malts. Strong notes of everything from French Roast coffee to unsweetened chocolate to leather to anise to the smokey, scorched remains of a burnt down wooden structure. Pushing my nose past all that, there's even a handful of blueberries in there.

Taste: A rich, hearty bittersweet chocolate flavor starts things off, followed by dark roasted coffee. The moderate sweetness is always kept in check by the soul-crushing roastiness. Mellow blueberry fruitiness. A burnt, ashen quality begins the build. Herbaceous hops, along with anise, tobacco, and a teaspoon of grappa lurk in the long, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Sharply carbonated.

Drinkability: An impressive, very well-crafted beer that's sure to please!

ChainGangGuy, Oct 06, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a tan head that is quite foamy. Big floaties from the yeast in the bottom as is sometimes common with wheat beers. The nose is primarily roasted and winey, but there is also dark chocolate and spicy notes. The taste is deep and roasty with more chocolate notes and a long light grainy/grassy sourness, just a touch. The mouthfeel is creamy and soft, but with respectable body. This is relatively easy drinking for a ris due to the wheat base. Don't expect profound depth here, but it is an interesting beer that is well made and quite tasty.

Georgiabeer, Oct 05, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Will pour a five+ finger light brown head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Total black color. Light medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Semi-sweet chocolate nose. Flavor is a sweet biting chocolate with a bakers chocolate finish. Wheat is hidden but there is a lot of yeast left in bottle. $8.40 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, ME.

jdhilt, Oct 05, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured extremely dark with a brownish tan head. First smell off the top is that of a wine like character, but that pleasant wine-like sour smell quickly fades away and get a little funky.
Taste is that of a good cup of black coffee. Bright, sharp and acidic with the flavors of the roated malts coming through. Finishes a little thick with just the acidity lingering in the mouth.

HopGoblin, Oct 04, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Deep, dark and mysterious. Labeled as a "Imperial Wheat Stout" beer, this one demands attention! Pitch black color, topped with a very dark tan, thick head.
Aroma is a little faint, but the flavor makes up for it. Strong roasted and black flavors, with some mild notes of wheat beer backing them up. Tail is all roast and charcoal, lingering long but very pleasant.

beerking1, Sep 26, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

This one sounded incredibly interesting, so I had to order some from Liquid Solutions (having never seen it in Southern California).

Pours a murky black color with a nice 1 finger creamy tan head. This eventually dies to a nice covering.

First smell is very, very interesting. What is this - dark fruits? Molasses? Burnt sugar? Port? Not what I was expecting, but very welcome!

Taste is full of dark fruits and port wine. The smells definitely show up in the taste, along with a good bit of chocolate and roasted coffee. There is a wheat background as well that integrates nicely into the dark fruit flavors. Very unique taste - I like it.

Mouthfeel is very rich with a truly velvety creaminess. Lovely.

Drinkability, for what it is, is very good.

Highly recommended. A truly unique beer, and a style I wouldn't mind seeing more of. You owe it to yourself to try this beer.

rallison, Sep 25, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Basically pure black with two fingers of tan head. Very little amber highlights around the edge of the glass. Nose is some alcohol, spicy nose, roasted malt. Fairly mild sourness. Overall fairly light aromas for an RIS. Taste is full roasted malt. Very light raisins, and strong chocolate. Some spicy hops as well. Good amount of sourness in the middle, possibly from the wheat that goes into this one. Light breadiness that goes along with the roasted malt. Body is fairly full, with solid carbonation. This one was pretty good, although not great. Maybe could have been listed as a double, cause doesn't really seem to have an RIS flavor. Maybe it's the wheat the throws it off. In any case, not bad, although definitely not one of my preferred RISs.

soupyman10, Sep 22, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

HaandBryggeriet Dark Force
Double Extreme Imperial Wheat Stout, 9% abv, 16.9 oxz bottle, silhouette of a hand holds a glaxy on this label, a lot of "Star Wars" reference on the back label copy. Some "Star Trek", too...but isn't "Double Extreme Imperial" just pushing it a bit?

Dark brown color, big, fizzy brown head, bubblin' and bubblin', drizzles down assuredly...

Blackstrap a bit, in the nose, light cola, cocoa, a hint of anise...nice and stout-y.

Fizzy in the mouth, dark and lively, but dies away a bit too soon. Big carbonation. Spicy. But the mouthfeel and texture really doesn't match what the label boasts. Richer and richer as we go, roastier, darker, getting better...

The wheat aspect makes it easier to down, but that's not what I'd expect from a "Double extreme Imperial." Actually, I've never sat down and thought about what I desire in a "double extreme Imperial." Somehow, it just never came up!

Roasty and toasty, and smooth, despite it all, with that 9% abv hardly acting up at all...although I'm only halfway through the bottle. Maybe it'll creep up on me.

I'm happy for those 4 guys in Finland, but the question remains...worth the $8 I spent? Well, obviously I bought the hype and spent the coin, but, the verdict is...good, but not that good.

feloniousmonk, Sep 18, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -4%

Now this sounds like an interesting one for sure. A "Double Extreme Wheat" stout. I thought American brewers were the only ones coming up with such "extreme" styles of beer. I couldn't pass it up, however, because I'd never had a stout brewed with wheat malt and to my knowledge never had a beer from Norway either. The beer poured as black as a moonless night with a massive tan colored head. I could see a nice layer of caked sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Aroma was quite roasty and coffeeish, with some hints of licorice wafting in my nose. Taste was espresso, burnt currants and roasted malts along with a good bit of alcoholic warmth. Quite rich and warming. Too bad it's hot as hell outside. This beer would make an excellent winter warmer during the colder months. Perhaps a beer tour of Norwegian brews is in order?

rodrot, Sep 13, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

Although this beer is listed as 8.5% abv, my bottle clearly states that this is a 9% abv. The label is adorned with dark colors of purple and blue. There is also the imprint of a hand around the label, showing how one should grab the bottle from the shelf. I dont know what a "Double Extrem Imperial Wheat Stout" is, but this is the only one in the world so I am excited.

Dispenses from the 16.9oz bottle an opaque black with a huge head. The head seems a bit thin but as it dissipates, it fills out a bit becomes more full. It sure has the head of a wheat. Nice lacing as well.

Aromas were spicy and yeasty and a little sour. A touch of chocolate and plenty of dark roasted grains. Some raisiny smells as well, but overall, a little disappointed.

Flavors of a double stout. Lots of bittersweet chocolate and plenty of coffee flavors as well. Alcohol is niticeable but isnt too incapacitating. Sweet and slightly syrupy.

Sticky on the palate and sweet and thick. This one isnt too bad I suppose. I doubt I will have this one again but who knows. Maybe the name could be shortened a bit so as not to be so confusing. Worth a shot.

SaCkErZ9, Sep 02, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -2%

1 pint, 9 fluid ounce brown bottle with extra label showing bottled in May 2007 and best-before May 2011. Clever and attractive graphic design.

Pours into the Duvel tulip completely opaque thick black with a chunky brown head that doesn't go away. The aroma suggests slightly smoky coffee and chocolate malts with dark fruit at the edges. Tastes a bit thin at first, but develops strong black coffee and bitter chocolate in the center. Finishes with lots of burnt toast and brown sugar. Builds a fruity raw alcohol burn as more of it reaches your stomach and warms. The medium to thick mouth-feel is aggressively carbonated for a stout, has a bit of unnecessary chunkiness from the wheat and yeast. A decent change of pace, though not up to the best stouts.

dgallina, Sep 02, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Craft beer? in Norway? Hell yes.

I discovered a bottle of this fine brew on the shelf at one of my favorite shops today. This is a heavy beer that is superbly drinkable. It throws a serious head, even after a careful pour. Light tan head, very stable, and with fair lacing. A somewhat traditional profile of an Imperial, but with a silky and coating mouthfeel, as well as a complex group of flavors. It was so very, very easy to consume. I also appreciated the long finish. Excellent beer!

MrBen, Aug 26, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Good, solid beer. bottle has a brewed on and best before date. This is my first from this brewery.

It pours very nice, good amount of head, decent retention. The color is black, when held to the light only a slight amount of light even gets through.

I find the smell to be somewhat disagreeable. One certainly gets the aroma of chocolate, and then of roasted malts, which I like, but the more I sniff it the more I get a rough alcohol smell. I don't think its soap from the glass, but I can't quite account for it; because the taste gives no indication of it.

The taste is great. I think the roasted malts are the most present, but they are well balanced with chocolate, maybe with a little bit of something spicy in there as well. Some berries? something creamy? The aftertaste leaves me a little unsure of what it is, but not disappointed. The malts remain, but otherwise it is a fairly clean, but also very dry aftertaste.

Good mouthfeel, a little more crisp than I would have thought, but not very much. I like the balance, this is a very drinkable beer.

andrewm190, Aug 17, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1pt, .9 fl oz bottle acquired in Chicago. Awesome info label on the side states Batch 73, 9% abv, brewed Apr. 2007, best before Apr. 2010. My first brew from HaandBryggeriet pours into my glass a deep, brooding slick black with a healthy inch of creamy tan foam on top that has good staying power. No light shall pass through this one. Aromas start with creamy, roasted dark malts. A lightly smoky, burnt twist with some cocoa undertones. The graininess from the wheat gets through a bit as well. Mellow coffee with a hint of hops....licorice?

First sip brings a smooth, dark roasty malt upfront. Segues into a somewhat burnt, smoky taste. Light notes of cocoa and some burnt coffee move in. The wheat creates a nice crisp, slightly grainy aspect to the brew. Light hops on the way down, it finishes a bit dry. An interesting imperial stout, I just dunno if the wheat works that well. I look forward to more beers from these guys.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dense with a nice chewy aspect. Good level of carbonation. This is a nice brew that does not become overbearing at all. I'm thinking the wheat cuts through a bit and offer easier drinkability. Overall, I found this to be a tasty brew and one of my first from Norway. The price tag will keep me away except on special occasions though.

orbitalr0x, Aug 14, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

I first saw this beer at Peace Street Market in Raleigh; since buying that bottle a week ago, I've now seen it as Sam's Quik Stop in Durham as well. When I bought the bottle at Peace Street, I assumed it was something of a rare find. Well, it's still the first Norwegian beer I've held in my hands!

The label describes the brew as a "Double Extreme Imperial Wheat Stout." I didn't know stouts could be made with wheat.

It pours a very dark brown--nearly black--into my pint glass. It's thick, as is the custom with Russian Imperial Stouts. The tan head was nearly two-fingers thick and hung around for about half the duration of the beer's life. (In my possession, that's about an hour for a beer of this potency!) Malt aromas dominate the air, while some dark sugars and alcohol take up the rest of the space. There's also a trace of smoke, but it's not enough to fear. The flavor is strong; mostly of chocolate and coffee, with some dark fruit and burnt sugar flavors. Very interesting. The alcohol is definitely present, making this one a sipper.

I'm pretty impressed, but I must admit I didn't taste any wheat at all. Should I have? Hmm. As far as Russian Imperial Stouts go, this is a fine one, but there are several others not as expensive that are as good and better.

CWiggins, Aug 13, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Presentation: 500ml bottle in an large crystal snifter

BAside: Kudos to the people at Haandbryggeriet for great freshness dating. Sticker on the bottle identifies it as being Batch #73, brewed 4/07, best by 4/10.

BAside 2: The label description is the longest I've ever seen - "Double Extreme Imperial Wheat Stout"....yowza.

Poured strong & with some life to it. A deep, sharp, penetrating nose, razorlike. Strong alcohol & hops, raisin, fig, black currant, oak, black licorice/anise, thick with molasses and burnt caramel, even some distant smoke, yet also has an almost sea mist like crispness to it. With some time & air the nose doesn't fade. Its still very strong, maybe a bit sweeter with some brown sugar, and does grow a bit breadlike as well.

Body is completely opaque, "black in a good mood", even a bit semi-glossed...almost dull. A finger's worth of beautiful, cinnamon orange-brown mocha foam, tight & barely audible, rests above the abyss of a body, eventually settling to a thin sheeting and edge ring.

For all the intimidation in the aromatics & visuals its surprisingly light (as light as a Imperial Stout can be) on the tongue. Creamy and smooth, but more crushed velvet than silk or satin. Its nicely bitter with burnt black coffee (which I really didn't detect in the nose) and burnt caramel for sweetness, along with some distant fruitlike qualities (same as the nose) which add some levity to this thick, complex brew. It uses the 9% ABV as a taste agent, sharp and searing, rising up on the backside of the tonguefeel, growing on the palate and finally engulfing my mouth and any collateral cranial cavities nearby with a steady roar of warmth, a concussion grenade of booze going off again & again, shaking my teeth to their roots.

It grows thinner in mouthfeel on the palate, but the warmth more than compensates for any loss there. Some slight dark chocolate is present, the caramels grow sweeter (but still remain burnt), but then fade & give way to the alcoholic bonfire that grows brighter with each sip, reminding me of some barleywines in that regard. The finish is bittersweet, kinda oaked/woody, a little dusty and very warm.

This is definitely a sipper by design, a big beer to be savored, and a well constructed one at that. It never lets up from nose to swallow, and doesn't fade from tongue to throat. In that regard it shares a number of qualities with some of the better barleywines I have tried (Weyerbacher Insanity comes to mind). Admittedly smoother & lighter than I thought it would be, its still a brute of tastiness that slowly creeps up on you. By the end the beer is in charge, not you. Thats cool.

A really strong (and ripened) Bleu like Stilton or Roaring 40s would pair well, and I think the creaminess of those strong, veined, aged cheeses would actually enhance the experience. But Dark Force is a big, bad, beer that is pretty damn good. Definitely recommended, check it out.

BuckSpin, Aug 11, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a huge dark black with a slight rising off white head. Smells pretty bitter, chocolate,
For the price, $7.95, I'm expecting a lot from the taste. Huge chocolate, bitter malt at first, followed by a dry, bitter finish. They obviously didn't spare the hops on this one. The wheat is only slightly noticable, which is probably a good thing. If you're going to put an adjunct in a stout, make it oatmeal. I'm not crazy about the taste, it needs some more malt sweetness to balance the bitterness of the finish.
Mouthfeel is very nice, thick and creamy.
For the price there's no way I would buy this again. Interesting to try and drink once but there are way better stouts out there that are far cheaper.

kirok1999, Aug 11, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

1pt .9 fl oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

Pitch black without even a hint of ruby red edges. A smooth and thick one inch brown head forms, and doesn't ever go away.

The standard roasted malt aromas, along with the ubiquitous sharp hop and alcohol. However, the interesting part is the amount of fruit aromas that show up. Generally you find these in an RIS, but not like in this one. The malt seems toned down, while the esters seem up. I'm wondering if the large percentage of wheat malt makes the beer "cleaner" and allows the products of the yeast to become more detectable.

Bitter notes accompanied by the softer grain flavors that come with wheat malts. A good amount of sharp hop flavor can be tasted at the end. Medium bodied (relatively light bodied for an RIS) with lively carbonation. Some dark fruit flavors are present in the middle. The finish is hoppy with a bit of trailing alcohol.

The large wheat portion definitely makes a difference, not a huge one, but one that's certainly noticeable. Rather than deep burnt chocolate and coffee flavors, you get cleaner and softer flavors which allow more fruit and hop flavors to emerge. It truely is a unique way to make an RIS. Whether it's better or worse is up to the drinker.

BeerSox, Aug 06, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I was honored to pour this beer as a volunteer at the recent Portland International Beerfest. This one, however, poured from a 16.9 oz/50cl bottle to a snifter, courtesy of Beaumont Market.

A: Big two-finger head of frothy khaki-tan caps this ultra-dark brew. Holding this to very strong light, I'm getting nothing coming through - a very dark stout indeed. Head diminishes to a thin film with a thicker ring around the glass. Only a couple thin strands of carbonation under that intense light.

S: I must admit this doesn't impress me. Seems simple, a bit of chocolate, a whiff of smoke, maybe a light mocha? Some sweet fruit, too, but this is not the most interesting nor complex RIS I've ever smelled...traces of vanilla and oak.

T: Hmmmm...lots of chocolate (dark & bitter), roasted coffee and a smoky/sour bittering in the finish. Among the most pungent and acrid RIS's I've tried. Lactic souring in the finish and, again, an ample smokiness. Some sweeter fruits found deep in the backing, ripe cherries, dates and raisins.

M: Thick/full in the mouth with a lasting bittering. Really strong, both in thickened mouthfeel and lingering bitterness.

D: Even though I feel I scored this pretty well, this is not an RIS I'd want too often. Something about it is too dark and smoky for drinking often. It's flavors maybe on the harsh/bitter side, too. It's not one I'd dissuade someone from drinking, rather it's justr not one that greets my palate well. Worth trying - sure. Worth getting again - undecided, especially at $8/bottle.

msubulldog25, Aug 04, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 1pt.9oz bottle (cost a huge $7.99) into a pint glass. I bought it based on the label, which claims the beer to be a Double Extreme Imperial Wheat Stout. Furthermore, there was a reference to Star Wars (from a country far, far away... This Imperial really strikes back) which I found difficult to resist. But in the final analysis this feels gimicky and I would not buy it again.

The appearance is great, dark opaque black with a thick finely celled mocha colored foam. I didn't get much wheat out of the smell, the aroma was mostly roasted malts. I expected but did not find any chocolate or coffee notes. Maybe the flavor will be better. Damn. Only roasted malts and maybe a hint of esters. None of the sweet malty flavors I wanted, nor any dark fruits or chocolate or etc. Not bad, but not worth seeking for, definitely not worth paying so much for.

TurdFurgison, Aug 03, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer poured as black as the night with no light getting through. It formed a huge foamy dark tan head that refused to go away and remined me of a root beer float. It had an aroma of malt, hops and coffee. The flavor was of malt, coffee and a touch of chocolate. Don't really detect any of the wheat aspect of the beer. It has a medium body and a burnt sweet finish. My first beer from Norway I believe.

Wildman, Jul 23, 2007