Haandbakk - HaandBryggeriet

HaandBryggeriet visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2008

This is a recreation of a Norwegian style naturally soured ale, aged in oak wine barrels for 18 months for the authentic sour flavour. The first wild yeast-fermented beer brewed in Norway for over 100 years.

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Given the mostly positive response to this beer I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle. I'm a big fan of flanders style beers, lambic, and wild ales in general, and I had high hopes for this beer.

It poured with very little carbonation had had no head whatsoever. It had a very nice dark reddish brown color.

The smell was malty with some wood and fruits, but very mild on all accounts. Nothing particularly offensive about the smell, but nothing exceptional, either.

The taste is what started to throw me off. For the style, gravity, and aging process I expected something to stand out. All I got though was a sickly sweetness and a medicinal aftertaste. A slight tartness was overcome by a sticky mouthfeel.

The mouthfeel was heavy and coating, and a slight acid burn on the throat.

Overall, my experience with this beer was a downward spiral starting with a pretty nice color and nose and tumbling to unpleasant tastes and feelings. given the rave reviews by others, I'd be willing to try this again but not for $12. I had a similar experience with "Wild Thing".

3.17/5  rDev -24%

Pours a one finger khaki head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving traces of lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Cloudy brown color. Nose is sour fruit and flavor is sour fruit and oak. Almost like a saison. Pricey at $10.95 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA. Label has ABV at 8.0%. Vintage 2009, bottled May 10, 2010.

3.17/5  rDev -24%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high. My bottle is 8.00%, not 8.50% as is currently listed on the site.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Vintage 10.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Colour is an extremely dark ruby. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Raisin, heavy oak, vinegar, dark malts, and red wine. A mild strength aroma.

T: Red wine, heavy oak, some sourness and vinegar, wild yeast, and dark malts. Raisiney. A bit too woody. Complex but not horribly subtle. Strange for the style. Pretty aggressive. No real notable hopping. Bold and experimental, but not particularly enjoyable. Balanced, but strange.

Mf: Thick, smooth, wet, and somewhat syrupy on the palate. Suits the flavours decently.

Dr: Drinkable but off-beat. I like it but I wouldn't get it again - at least not without some age. Too raisiney and viscous for the style. I like the sour aspects but the build is too weird.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks! Pleasant at colder temperatures, but vinegar becomes overly potent as it warms toward room temperature, and acetone brings the beer down. Still, there are some pleasant vinous, oak, and oxidation notes. Firmly sour but tending too far toward the acetic end of the spectrum, even for the style. The beer was nearly still and I think some carbonation would have livened things up. I was told this bottle was a few years old.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Consumed at the sour tasting that I organized with friends. Split with many people. Poured into a tulip glass from a 500ml bottle.

Pours a brown-tinged, yet slightly plum opaque color with a modest amount of froth. Retention is very low, and the head fizzles out early on during consumption - however, the beer's viscosity and syrupy appearance does put it in line as a liqueur-like offering, which I find appealing. Leaves behind some slight grime and residue on the glass with each sip. Tons of floaties in this one, too - big chunks of sediment accumulate to the bottom of the glass in a very rustic manner. It's not the showiest Oude Bruin on the block, but it definitely has its place here in the category.

Smells quite rustic as well - however, with 2 years of age on this, I'm disappointed not only with the lack of oaky characteristics, but also any notable sour flavors as opposed to other offerings we had that night. Notes of raisins, plums, and cassis come in, only followed by tobacco, leather, and slight vinegar-y phenols. The oak they used must be really, really old or used up, because there's barely any other barrel spices to be found here - maybe a hint of nuttiness, maybe some baking soda and clove, but otherwise morbidly subdued. The vinegar flavor does become more intense as this warms up, but so does the booziness, which sadly detracts from the gentle nuances.

The flavor is actually pretty mild compared to the aroma - and strangely on par with the basic bottle of Rodenbach that we had immediately prior to this one. Notes of raisins and dried plums came to my palate, only to be followed by notes of cherry-infused tobacco, slight earth, and a bit of vinegar and sourness from the oak's baking spices. The finish is not very complex, especially considering what this amounted to. Earthy and husky at the finish, with a slightly acrid toasted caramel grainy sensation. The booze is well hidden, but it quickly catches up with a slight acetone note at the back. There's an off diacetyl note that becomes present with each sip, and makes this physically demanding to drink. One of the tasters started saying, "This is too much!" Luckily our portions were done before it got any worse.

I suppose we all have to start somewhere, and if this is indeed Norway's first spontaneously barrel fermented beer in over 100 years (!), there's definitely room for the industry to improve. The rustic flavors are great, as well as the dark, dried fruit notes, but the oak, or at least the blending process within, needs to improve. Not terrible, but definitely one of the least memorable of the night.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

HaandBryggeriet's Norwegian Wood is one of the best beers I've ever had. Haandbakk, not so much. The mouthfeel is thin and grape-juice like, which you experience after a completely unexciting pour with nearly zero head. The taste is okay, but far from exceptional. I bought this hoping for a lot but was sorely disappointed.

3.29/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Draft @ Mikkeller Bar SF on 1/19/15. Pours a red, brown color with minimal head. Aroma is acidic, red grapes, malt, and brett. Medium to thin bodied. Taste is vinegar-like acidity with tones of cherry, grape and funk with a bitter finish. Decent flanders red.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes 1/28/2010

Pours blood red, with a thin tan head. Looks pretty normal for an Oud Bruin. A little clearer than I expected, but, looks alright. The smell has old strawberries, which I've come to know in wild bacteria, but isn't exactly my favorite smell in these, with eggs and vinegar, not quite as vinegary as some in the class. Again, doesn't stand out, isn't particularly bad, and it has the right kind of characteristics, but not my favorite. The taste has oranges, the acidic, very citric part, with a slight bready toastiness, which is slightly unexpected, and nice. It's still very sour, very acidic, but not very tart - if that makes sense, maybe not enough sweetness. The old strawberries come back, which remind me of old food, old fruit, a bit of old cherries. And surprisingly, I can taste a bit of wood. I expected a little more of that pleasant tartness, like young/ripe cherries and strawberries (this tastes overripe, to reiterate), blended with a pleasant sweetness. This kind of works towards what I want, then kind of falls short in taste. Finishes very acidic, it's actually hard to tell whether it's sweet or dry, and that may be the main problem. The body is nice, medium-full, fuller than I expected, moderate carbonation, pleasant for the style. Overall, it's decent, I would maybe have it again, definitely wouldn't pay for it. It's not the most impressive, which means that if I were going to this style, I would probably go to something new, or something else that I like better. I think it may have been a little young, or could've used some blending with an older version.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

2008 vintage
Must be a misprint- says bottled March 2008, brewed May 2008
Best by March 2011

From notes

A- murky reddish brown with 1/2 finger tan head, very nice

S- sour, acidic, horse blanket, oak, nail polish remover, leather

T-sour, acidic, funky, vinegar, oak, leather, muddled flavor of tart fruits like cherries and blackberries. A decent amount of lemon as well. The finish is dry and tannic.

M- fairly lively carbonation, medium body

D- average

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep hazy red color ale with a small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of deep sour notes with light tart cherry notes also perceptible and some quite funky ester. Taste is a mix between deep sour and tart cherry notes with light smoke notes and some barnyard notes also detectable. Body is full with limited filtration and low carbonation. Quite extreme though acidity level is balanced. Not something I would have everyday bit interesting nonetheless.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

capped 500ml bottle
2008 vintage

Pours a murkey reddish brown color with a small and lasting brownish head. Very acidic in the nose, sour black cherry tartness and wood, lots of wood. A very oaky flavor as well, vinous dark fruits and very acidic, notes of coffee and smokey chocolate malt beneath the sourness. Full bodied, well carbonated for the style, but a bit hard to drink though.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Vintage 10

Pours dark and with almost no head. A thin ring around the glass and a thin film around the middle that dissipates quickly. When held to the light there are lots of deep reds and browns.

The smell is interesting. It hits hard with vinegar making me think this is going to be one sour mamajama. Vinous red wine notes and barrel character also abound. Brown sugar and some cherry fruitiness.

The nose on this wasn’t lying. It is fairly tart and sour. Big notes of vinegar and tartness hit and then settle into red wine, oak, cherry and rhubarb. There is also this stout like quality about it.

The body is thin-medium and almost void of carbonation. It’s almost like drinking water.

Kind of disapointed in this.

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter. Bottled 2/10/2011. Vintage 09.

Appearance - Dark reddish brown body. Looks very dark in the large CBS glass. No head as I'm pouring it, but it produces some large discrete bubbles that managed to stick around for a while.

Smell - Red wine is very prominent. Acidic, but not overwhelming. Oaky with a grassy aroma that is slightly off-putting. Not sure what that is. Chocolate manages to come through in faint notes.

Taste - The red wine is the dominant flavor here, as well. Slightly sour. Not anywhere near as sour as I expected. Malty body with a strong oak presence and that same grassy flavor. It's not hops. It's like it was aged on freshly cut branches. The finish is musty.

Mouthfeel - Pretty heavy. None of the sugars come out, but I feel like some stronger bugs would have soured it more and dried it out. Low carbonation doesn't help.

Overall - So I actually think it's good to drink. Not my favorite, but nothing close to bad. A lot going on and maybe some of the flavors aren't my favorite. No vinegar, which I love.

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

This is a new review April 20, 2013; Batch 343, 2,280 bottles.

Usually when I taste a beer again years later there is a change in review and score. Here, this batch is exactly per the review below. Literally, exactly the same. Likely no need for me to try again.

* * * *

The review below was 3.53 and done on Xmas day, 2010.

Vintage 2009; bottled May 10, 2010.

Dark clear copper red with no head.

Nose is sour cherries and sour grapes and sweet red wine vinegar in an appealing way.

Mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated. Mouthfeel is what it should be for a sour and the mouthfeel is quite nice.

Flavors need time to develop in the mouth and multiple tastes are required before one gets the the true flavor profile. Mildly sour cherries and grapes; some brown ale character but there is back palate and a finish of strong red wine vinegar that prevents real enjoyment.

This might be one that would be interesting to taste again in a year or two. Not one that I would drink now - too heavy on the vinegar character; flavors just don't seem integrated and the "sour" is not "sour;" there is no brightness or pucker factor. Perhaps a bit of time will integrate this one. We'll see....

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The gorgeous brown color and classic sour smell gave me high hopes for this beer. However, I found it to have a slightly unpleasant miso-like aftertaste and a little harsh on the way down. I like my $5 bottle of Vanderghinste way more.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a layer of tan head. Color is a dark caramel brown with a ruby hue.

Aroma: Sour cherries, oak, vanilla, caramel, toffee, and a bit of spice. It also has a touch of roast which I find out.

Taste: Vinegar with a little acidic flavor. Sour cherries, oak, vanilla, and spice. A hint of brown sugar. Tart and sour. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Tart and dry with a medium body and medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry, somewhat spiced. It has a bit of a fizzy feel to it.

Overall, I think it is a pretty decent beer. It is off the charts, but definitely above average and something I would drink again.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

500ml bottle $11 (damn!). Dark, dark color, black almost, maybe. Small tan ring of bubbles. It smells like wood, cherries, malts, hint of rubber cement, smells about on par for the style. It tastes like an oud bruin but very subtle. Slight bit of sour, slight bit of wood and and it seems a little harsh to my tongue. I am a sucker for sour beers at this point so I buckled and paid the high price tag, I should have bought a La Folie instead.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%

Vintage 2009

Pours a murky ruddy brown with a quickly dissipating thin head of fine bubbles. The nose is sublimely vinous and lightly acetic with some nice notes of bready brown malt. Nice mildly sour nose sort of akin to RR Consecration but not nearly as vinegary, more subdued and fine.

Moderately sour on the attack, red fruit notes come through on the midpalate. Nicely balanced, the only detractor is a distinct unpleasant bitter note on the finish. Not hoppy bitter, more like burnt/chemical bitter. I really want to like this. It's got great balance for a sour brown ale but that finish just leaves an unpleasant taste in your mouth.

In short this would be worth an A rating if it wasn't for the disappointingly unpleasant finish.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

I've been wanting to try this for so long and now the time has come!

The bottle gushed shortly after I opened it. It's liquid is a pitch black red with a very light brown head. A fowl smell of sourness, oak, rotten cherries, and random sweetness launched out with the foam. Even a hint of latex and White-Out. My nose can live in this vile stench of throw-up. I would love for every wild beer to smell like this. Americans: take note. Is that chocolate I smell? Maybe.

Flavor is very intense. Too many things to list. It's moderately sour but the insane amount of oak and yeast flavors take over. Some how the flavor just drops off when you swallow. It's like when a tornado blasts through a house and dies out. Then all you see is clear skies and silence. There is this flavor or worcestershire sauce and leather. There's even some quality of roasted nuts and malt.

The alcohol is not shy. Its let you know it's there but not in a way that detracts from the whole experience of the beer. It compliments it in every way possible. But overall, the flavors are just all over the place. I feel a little butteryness and strong Bleu/Gorgonzola cheese in the after-taste.

This beer sits like the Hindenburg in your stomach. Carbonation is average. Mouthfeel is a thick for the style. Drinkability is higher than nill just because I get two pours out of this and can finish them. Although I would be happy to drink this on another occasion, I could not drink a second bottle. I don't hate myself that much.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

poured into a tulip

Dark brown/reddish color. Like deep dark ruby. About a fingers worth of light tan head that dissipates into a thin film.

pretty much what i was expecting from a Flanders...aromas of fruit (cherries?) with oak and a slight vinegary funk. A slightly strong alcohol smell when mixed with the vinegary qualities has a slight nail polish remover aroma (but nothing too overbearing). There is some slight mustiness in there which is probably from the barrel.

Not as sour as expected..a little more tart, and surprisingly kind of sweet. Definitely fruity..a slight red wine characteristic to it, but not as dry in the finish. The barrel is definitely present as well. It's actually pretty smooth going down, but a little alcohol warms the mouth/throat with each sip. An aftertaste of nail polish remover is present which is a slight turn off, but nothing like a Brandy BA Alpha Klaus!

about medium bodied. carbonation good for the style. Not too mouth puckering and surprisingly smooth going down. A little warm in the finish as well.

I personally would stick with a Monks Cafe over this. A little more readily available and not as "alcoholy". A little pricey as well per bottle. Other than the boozy/nail polishy qualities to it, it's pretty much textbook Flanders Oud Bruin.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

batch 49 was brewed on 10/10/2006 and is best before 30/4/2011. 500ml bottle drank from my new belgium globe glass.

A- starting out a gusher, this one pours out a very dark brown colored body with ruby red all along the edges. a massive beige colored head forms on top and slowly fizzes down to a reasonable level. small spots of lacing are left behind.

S- acetone is the first thing i notice. i think its going to be pretty tart/sour. i also detect some barrel, and a lot of sour cherries. pretty complex odor in this one.

T- as in the nose, acetone comes to the front of the taste. pretty acidic and sour. lots of tart cherries as well. wine like. a slight astringency form the barrel.

M- medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. the sourness of this one is very quick to vanish and leaves the mouth feeling very dry.

D- an interesting beer, but i cant help but think how much more i liked other beers of the style like goudenband. ill check back on this batch in a few years to see how it compares then. but for now this is one and done for me.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. Label says Batch 343.

A- Pour barely yields a head as the 1/8 inch surface foam quickly flitters away to a thin ring around the edge of the glass leaving tiny wisps of surface foam. Nearly no lacing.

S- Pungent sour cherry smell with the wine barrel presence really coming through. Has a very sweet, fruity smell kind of like Manischewitz or grape-flavored hard candy

T- Mildly sour cherry flavor and then WHAM! a smack down of oak barrel. It brings with it drying tannins and a somewhat band-aid-like astringency. The fruitiness tries to fight through but it's pretty tough with all the wine-like characteristics just rushing in after the usual Flanders-style flavors. I feel like the aging and the alcohol really turn this one into a sipper.

M- Dry almost to the point of sandpaper tongue with a moderate amount of pucker and burn. Low carbonation and a fullish body.

O- I'd like to enjoy this beer and it has a unique aroma but the wine barrel presence just reminds me of why I don't drink wine. It's an interesting combination but not something I'd seek out again.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

A-dark brownish copper in color with a lot of haze and red edges. Tan head, pretty tight and creamy

S-vinegar and light notes of lacquer thinner up front. Big notes of vanilla come in behind with some sour cherry, light in the back.

T-the nail polish/lacquer thinner is up front mixed with vinegar. Oak takes over and has a stronghold throughout. The back is acidic with light hints of dark fruits and sourness.

M-smooth and creamy on the palate with a good medium body and high carbonation giving it a sharp crisp bite and a dry finish

D-this is a little hot and the alcohol seems to show a little more than I would prefer. The boddy is solid but sits in the stomach.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Batch 49 . Brewed 10.10.06 . Best before 30.04.11 Don't forget that is contains Malted barley/wheat, water, hops, yeast.

This brew has been sitting around the cellar for maybe a year now and seemed like something I wanted to crack open. I must say that I am reasonably unfamiliar with this style of beer, but know what the style is supposed to be.

A: The first thing I noticed was the ring around the top of the bottle that slowly vanished as I drank the beer down. When I opened the bottle is literally had a volcano effect spewing brown bubbles all over the table, what the hell? I decided I had to pour it as quickly as possible. Beer has an okay looking light-brown bubbly head that didn't retain itself. Beer Looks flat with a small ring atop the snifter I used to poor the beer in. The beer has a raisin skin like color with slightly lighter accents. Looks flat, but mellow and relaxed.

S: Strong and in your face. Grape Kool-Aid, nail polish remover, vinegar, sour cherries, cinnamon, oak, and tart citrus fruit. The nail polish remover element makes me think of the beer as being negative, but the sour cherries and other elements make the smell more acceptable. It might just be the acidic nature of the beer that makes me associate it with nail polish remover (most likely the acetic acid). It's certainly a complex smell that I don't know quite how to judge, but find it more enjoyable as the beer opens up and slowly warms.

T: The taste is actually better than the smell, the barrel-aging is massive in this beer. Up front is sour and tart cherries, acetic acid, white grapes followed by sweet malt, malts, and a general overly acidic taste. I like how the sourness creeps up and slowly fades away. I do not like the acidic nature of this beer so much, but grading on style I imagine it's good, just makes me think of adding vinegar to a beer.

M: From an explosion upon opening it to medium carbonation with a medium body that does possess a smooth finish.

D: I am definitely new to the style, but can find appealing elements to it but can't get past the acrid acidity. I enjoy vinegar and a good balsamic reduction when I'm cooking but don't find it all that pleasant to drink. I really loved the barrel-aged elements of the beer that gave it the earthy/wood like taste. A good representation of the style I'm sure, the sour is pleasant too.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottled 10/10/06.

A-Mahogany body that is so foggy it is nearly opaque. Pours with a 1-2 finger rust colored head that has great retention and some lacing left in the glass.

S- Oak, cherry pits, and vinegar come through the most with a slight lactic sourness in the background.

T- The main character in the flavor is oak and lots of it, there is also a hint of phenols throughout the flavor. A hint of dark fruits come through for the finish as well as a big alcohol heat. What lingers is a minimal amount of lactic sourness and an alcohol heat.

M- Medium weight body and a creamy mouthfeel. Body is very creamy but some alcohol astringency prevents it from being totally smooth.

D-This is a decent flanders red overall. The sourness has perhaps faded a bit but this is a great example of an oak aged sour. What is clear about this brew is that it has a higher ABV-which is blatant in the flavor and mouthfeel.

Haandbakk from HaandBryggeriet