Odin's Tipple - HaandBryggeriet

Odin's TippleOdin's Tipple

HaandBryggeriet visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: popery on 06-02-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odin's Tipple Alström Bros

Imagine unscrewing the drain plug and letting the oil from your car drizzle into a drip pan. This is the same sensation you'll feel observing a pour of this brew into a bottle. This was the thickest, darkest, most syrupy beer I have ever seen. Not sure how one of my friends as able to snag a bottle of this Scandinavian wonder. When swishing this beer around in your glass you'll note that it has better legs than an '07 Cabernet from Napa Valley. It'll actually create a yellowish/brown layer on the glass when swirling it around.

With that being said this beer was amazing, and giving it less than a stellar write up would be an injustice.

It's in the category of Stouts and follows the typical remedy of dark color, malty smell, but goes the extra mile with thickness and consistency. Very thick, syrupy and a slight sweetness to it. Malty, coffee, chocolately. If I could compare it to anything it would be the Founders Breakfast stout which also garnishes world class ratings. An 11% abv, a must buy if you ever see this on the shelf. Straight rocket fuel. Sensational. An experience unto itself.

So far the best beer I've had by this brewery. If only I had a large amount of cash to put towards beer I would buy a couple cases just to sit on and a couple more to drink as this is one the best RIS's I've tried in my time. 11% gives it a nice warming sensation as it slowly makes it's way down to the stomach coating everything along the way like slow running molasses. Pour is thick and dark like having grabbed a glass fresh from an oil well with a beautiful dark brown head that sticks around for a little while just to let you know it's there. Definitely was not what I was expecting as until the time that I bought it I had not payed attention and thought the title was "Odin's Triple". Once I realized what it was there was no keeping me from buying it up and trying the hell out of it. RIS's are my favorite side by side with the IPAs so it was no question. Smell is strong of decadent roasted malt and the flavor is something to be revered. I have a strong taste for these type of thick, heavy, intensely flavored stouts so to me the drinkability is excellent but to some it may be a little over the top but I would still recommend this one be given a chance.

This beer was very dark. smelled great and tasted even better. i got this beer on a whim and didn't know its back round. i was amazed by it. Oddins tipple is my favorite beer.... so far. I would suggested this beer to anyone new or old beer drinkers.

Odin's Tipple from HaandBryggeriet