Odin's Tipple - HaandBryggeriet

Odin's TippleOdin's Tipple

HaandBryggeriet visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: popery on 06-02-2009

Odin's Tipple was meant to be a strong beer, but we changed our minds...its still strong but we wont follow the mega strong trend. It should be possible to make great beer without the extreme alcohol potency. Odins Tipple is now approx 11% abv, it’s a dark almost black beer from lots and lots of chocolate malt. Its the malt that contributes the flavor...no added coffee or anything else, Its got a great body without being old engine oil and still very drinkable due to the wild yeast we use. This beer is made with a single strain of wild yeast and the recipe is dead simple.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odin's Tipple Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Ah, my first Norwegian beer. Couldn't resist the Norse mythology theme on this one. This should be interesting!

Serving type - Bottle into Orval goblet

Appearance - Pours the absolute darkest black I've ever seen a beer pour! Barely any foam rose up from the pour, but what did show up was dark ruby colored, just to give you an idea of how dark it is. Looks brutal!

Smell - Smell is of intense espresso, roasted malts, chocolate, a little bit of caramel and dark fruits, spices, and alcohol (it is 11%, so that's expected). Quite complex. This is a very unique stout.

Taste - Intense roasted espresso, chocolate, roasted malt with a biscuit-like texture, slight hints of caramel, and a bit of alcohol burn going down. This one is not for the timid, and I expect more flavors to show up as this beer warms up a bit.

Mouthfeel - Not quite as thick as I was expecting for an 11% beer like this, but still pretty full-bodied. Just, surprisingly drinkable for this style of beer I guess. A nice creamy texture to it though!

Drinkability - The ABV, while subdued enough in the flavors, still makes it's presence known, and warns you that this is no session beer. A definite sipper.

Overall - This is a very unique take on the Imperial stout style. It's almost hard for me to classify it as strictly that, as there's a good deal of complexity and other factors that make this one different. If you're a fan of extremely dark, and strong beers, you will enjoy this. It is quite spendy ($11.50 or so for the bottle I bought), but it's worth trying for the experience. Looking forward to trying some other Scandinavian beers in the future!

4.26/5  rDev 0%

Aroma:Dark malts with a little smoke and chocolate.

Appearance:Opaque black with chocolate brown head.

Taste:Dark malts, chocolate, smoke, and oak. There are some raisins in the flavor too.

Mouthfeel:Medium-thick with a little harsh bitterness at the end.

Drinkability:Really well done, fantastic chocolaty beer.

Batch: 329 Brewed 03.12.10 Best Before 3.12.14

A: Pours pitch black with one finger worth of very dark brown head. One of the darkest beers i've ever seen. Settles to a ring around the glass and left a couple specs of lacing but not much.

S: Lots of dark chocolate with a bit of roasted malt. Also a bit of dark fruit in there. I don’t pick up any alcohol on the nose.

T: Dark chocolate and roasted malt. I do get some faint coffee characteristics in the finish as well but for the most part it’s very sweet. You don’t taste any alcohol but you can definitely feel it warming your throat after you swallow.

M: Light carbonation with a full body that’s very smooth.

O: I was a little turned off by the price of this beer but after trying it now it was well worth it. I’ll hopefully get to pick up some more of this beer in the near future and maybe set one or two aside to age.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

I guess I'm the wet blanket here, but I didn't particularly like or enjoy this beer. I'm a stout fan, even imperial stouts, but this was way too much like cold coffee for my tastes.
The color is Black. Not dark brown; black. Like oil. You can't see any light through it.
It pours as a thick liquid, too. Not quite syrup, but obviously thick.
Very little aroma, other than the roasted barley.
The taste is all coffee and I'm not a fan of coffee, hot or cold.
The mouthfeel was odd. Cloying is about the only way I can think to describe it.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 17 oz. bottle into a Belgian glass. Odin mounts Sleipnir, his spear Gungnir firm in hand, and prepares to do battle on my palate. I play some Blind Guardian and prepare for glory.
Pours thick and gloopy, opaque black absolutely impenetrable by light, as dark as a winter night on the fjords of Norway. A beautiful rich chocolate brown 1/4" head that unfortunately fades pretty quick. Leaves thick foamy lacing. So close to a 5 appearance.
Rich cocoa and molasses hits me first on the nose, with a charred undertone and a hint of burnt sugar. A little boozy, but forgiveably so.
Big and rich! Smoky/burnt wood dominates the taste, like the smoke from a viking ship burned in funeral ceremony. Closely followed by bitter chocolate, some molasses, with a brief fade to coffee beans leading into a pleasant and unique bitter, smoky, charred finish, like inhaling the ashes of your enemies. Well balanced for how huge and malty it is.
Pretty nice texture, well carbonated. Comes on strong like a charging berserker, but fades nicely to a medium body and leaves a nice coat on the tongue.
As I wrap up this review I've got like 2/3 of the bottle left. A formidable opponent, I dread and embrace it like Ragnarok. The smokiness and the hugeness make it a sipper. It does not tread lightly. My tongue is being pillaged and I pray I die with my glass in hand, and am permitted into Valhalla.
This is a monster, rich and fairly complex. I recommend splitting it with one or two people, and be prepared for a smoky onslaught. Odin will grant you no mercy.

A: Body is extremely dark brown. Head is probably the darkest I've ever seen, seems to have a tinge of red in it as well. It only creeps up to one finger and doesn't last long, however. Not too much lacing.

S: The first smell I got when I was pouring it out was actually that of pumpkins and bananas. Subsequent sniffs reveal a good amount of milk and semi-sweet chocolate, as well as some alcoholic burn.

T: I get some gentle smokiness right at the start, along with banana and pumpkin bread. Towards the middle rich chocolate has the lime light, with alcohol esthers playing a supporting role. The finish turns into more of a fudgy chocolate, with an alcoholic burn still present. The aftertaste for me was peanut butter, something I haven't particularly detected in a beer before. I'd like to give this more of a 4.25, but am bumping it up rather than down to reflect what I think is closer to what the overall score should be.

M: Very thick, but not accompanied by that velvety smoothness some thick beers have unfortunately. I had to chew the beer, which I like in a stout. The alcohol tingled and burned my mouth a little too much.

D: This was a real heavy hitter. I enjoyed my 16.9 oz to the last drop, but it was slow going. The heavy mouthfeel and fairly noticeable alcoholic presence made it a classic sipper, and I certainly would not want more than one in a night.

This beer had some very tasty notes, especially of chocolate. I'm glad I have one to age, as I felt the large presence of alcohol was the only real weakness of the brew. I wouldn't have it that often even if it was available to me, however, as it's a strong beer in all facets. Odin's Tipple is indeed a fitting name.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

poured dark and thick. it has a strong smell of

A: poured very thick and black with no head. very thick beer, looked awesome.

S: it smelled of roasted barley, chocolate and coffee. there was another scent in there but i couldn't quite identify it. smelled amazing anyway.

T: amazing flavor, the alcohol is still present but not to much. it has a strong dark coffee flavor with chocolate and vanilla. great beer.

M: very smooth

O: awesome beer. loved it an cant wait to get my hands on another one. i was recommend this beer to anyone who loves dark flavorful RIS. very smooth with a lot of flavor.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

It's been gloomy and cold all day today, with this on and off drizzle, so I find myself in the mood for a stout. Tonight I'm having Odin's Tipple. I found this on an excursion a few months back. I'm a big fan of Norse mythology, so when I saw a beer by the name of Odin's Tipple, billing itself as a "Strong Norse Ale" I just had to check it out. I've had some of Haandbryggeriet's other beers, namely the Dark Force Stout. This is batch 210, brewed on January 20th of 2009, so it should be sufficiently aged. I'm using a snifter glass for the occasion, as I suspect the 11% abv means that this will be a classic example of a sipping beer, as all proper Russian Imperial Stouts should be. Pours black, pretty much pitch black, with a coffee foam head leaving decent lacing. Aroma is roasted dark chocolate tinged with black licorice. Actually, the more I smell it the more that's all I get - black licorice. Interesting. First taste is a punch in the mouth. Huge billowing roasted chocolate up front with an even bigger alcohol bite at the end. Pronounced warming in the chest as it goes down. Dang, this thing is good but it packs a serious punch. Second drink, more of a sip, is more of the same. Roasted raisin hits the tongue first, bittersweet chocolate finishes. I feel like there's some hints of orange in this, which works very well with the huge chocolate flavors going on. I'm partial to the Russian Imperial Stout as a style anyway, but this is right up there with some of my other favorites. The big roasted and chocolate flavors really make this winner on a rainy night like tonight.

Imagine unscrewing the drain plug and letting the oil from your car drizzle into a drip pan. This is the same sensation you'll feel observing a pour of this brew into a bottle. This was the thickest, darkest, most syrupy beer I have ever seen. Not sure how one of my friends as able to snag a bottle of this Scandinavian wonder. When swishing this beer around in your glass you'll note that it has better legs than an '07 Cabernet from Napa Valley. It'll actually create a yellowish/brown layer on the glass when swirling it around.

With that being said this beer was amazing, and giving it less than a stellar write up would be an injustice.

It's in the category of Stouts and follows the typical remedy of dark color, malty smell, but goes the extra mile with thickness and consistency. Very thick, syrupy and a slight sweetness to it. Malty, coffee, chocolately. If I could compare it to anything it would be the Founders Breakfast stout which also garnishes world class ratings. An 11% abv, a must buy if you ever see this on the shelf. Straight rocket fuel. Sensational. An experience unto itself.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

16.9 oz bottle poured into val dieu goblet... brewed on 1/20/09

appearance: black as black can be head is even incredibly dark, i would say the head is the color of cocoa powder, head dissipated quickly

aroma: boozy and aromas of dark fruit and caramelized sugar, a bit of peppercorn type spice, perhaps some coffee and chocolate but i thick thats more from the appearance messing wiith my mind then the actual aroma

flavor: INTENSE booze roastiness and booziness... Also has a sharpness that is akin to peppery like trigeminal response, hops are more powerful than i expected and this is absolutely nothing like dark force in anyway except the color. Booze are a little overwhelming but im getting used to it and as my palate adjusts to the hops the richer coffee, jammy kind of flavors come out and really present themselves

overall: i wanted something dark rich and tasty and this delivered big time, really really huge beer that is still hot and should not be drank yet like everything else in my cellar!!! I really regret popping this now and will have to seek out more immediately to cellar, Will be on the short list of best RIS with i would say 2 years on it will be what this brew needs... the score is an indication of the beer now, im not going to rate it how i believe it will eventually be

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic. It pours a truly opaque, silky oil-black with a small, dark brown head that quickly dissipates. The smell is delicious with notes of rye, smokey chocolate and perhaps a hint of prune (?). But it's the balanced taste that marks this as one of the best Russian imperial stouts on the planet in my mind. Rye and oak up front with dark malt and maybe even a little bourbon in the middle. Lots of bitter chocolate in the finish with just a tint of hops. Really excellent. The mouthfeel is smooth and full-bodied, though not as slippery or thick as some executions of the style. All around a fantastic beer from Norway. Odin would be proud.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Little bit of beige head. Black, impenetrable.

S: Yum! Dark chocolate malts. Roasted notes. Alcohol, nutty. Maybe some fruitiness.

T: Lots of roasted malts. Vanilla and blackberries. A little nutty. Bourbony alcohol. SO good.

M: Thick, silky, and smooth.

O: This is delicious. I love it, I will definitely have another if I ever come across one. Definitely recommended.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Plum black with a thin milk-chocolate-colored head that's slow to build. Intense aroma of plums, chocolate, roasted malts and coffee. Thick, almost chewy mouthfeel. The taste is quite smooth, with the aromas nicely blended, and then a slight bitterness on the back end. Like a cross between a doppelbock and a roasty stout. Great beer.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: A pitch black beer with a brown head. Poured in a 15 cL glass so no comments on head / retention.
Aroma: Chocolate, coffee, fusel alcohol, and some crystal malt.
Taste: Caramel malt, raisins, figs, and a strong coffee/ chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Delightful! Very nicely balanced in terms of carbonation. The alcohol is a bit noticeable though.
Overall: This was a fantastic beer! I enjoyed this greatly and look forward to trying it from the bottle at some point.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

2010 bottle.

Mother of god. Black as night. Minimal head.

Licorice, booze. Cherry. Dark chocolate. Pure. Creamy texture. Malt shake. Milk chocolate. Welcome alcohol warming sensation. Coconut. No imperfections. Smooth. Full bodied, obviously, considering the creamy nature. Feed me.

I have nothing to say about this. It's nearly perfect. Highly suggest aging.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Batch 297, brewed June 30th 2010.

Appearance-Pours into snifter black as night with that slick motor oil consistency I like to see, some dark-mocha head rises but quickly disipates and leaves little in the way of lacing or legs; still looks pretty enough in the glass though.

Aroma-A lot of roast and burnt chocolate, almost with a peaty character; I smell smoke in this beer. Just the faintest warming of alcohol lets you know this beast is packing an ABV.

Taste-Again roast, lots and lots of roast; they must've used a ton of blackened malt in this thing. Very dark bitter chocolate is also noted, some burnt molasses, loads of black licorice and that faint hint of smoke noted on the aroma. There's the faintest hint of a lactic taste towards the end of the middle right where it hits the finish while the finish itself is bone dry. It's all surprisingly comlex really. I'm finding it all much less sweet than most of the other reviewrs though.

Mouthfeel-Smooth and creamy with an ideal level of plushness; not quite so full as other RISes though.

Drinkability/Overall-Hail the Gods this is a great beer and a befitting tribute to ol' One Eye himself, I wish I had a whole hornful of this stuff instead of my meager snifter. Delightful.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brewed 1/20/09

This poured in my snifter much like molten black crayon. The initial head had tinges of black in the chocolate brown cap. Burnt malts, molasses, dark fruits, peat smoke, bakers chocolate all mix quite harmoniously in to a complex nose.

My, that is thick! Peaty chocolate milk shake with liberal molasses, cookie dough, licorice and black patent malt. The flavor goes from smoky to sweet as the palate orients itself, no one note dominating for too long.

Creamy and decent carbonation, leaving a rich aftertaste reminiscent of cigars and chocolate cake.

Wonderful stuff.

This beer was very dark. smelled great and tasted even better. i got this beer on a whim and didn't know its back round. i was amazed by it. Oddins tipple is my favorite beer.... so far. I would suggested this beer to anyone new or old beer drinkers.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

pours dead black with a mocha-colored head of foam that fizzles down to creamy ring.
aroma of coffee, alcohol, burnt sugar, malted milk chocolate. quite boozy.
taste is rum-soaked chocolate covered espresso beans (if that were possible), molasses, late herbal bitterness, a bit of licorice, charcoal, fusel alcohol. burnt flavors come out more as it warms.
mouthfeel is medium, with only a faint lingering of stickiness on the lips. relatively dry, with a certain oily slickness. a bit prickly in the finish, and leaves some hot alcohol on the breath.
great balance and flavors, but a bit too hot to be world class. would age like a champ.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%

A. Pours very dark with fair amount of lacing and minimal head.
S. A little booze, a little roast, but overall not much to smell.
T. Delicious roasted/sweet balance with fantastic carbonation (think 90 minute but in a RIS). First sip was so intense I expected it to get old quickly, but new flavors come & go with each sip. Strong chocolate, coffee, some dark fruitiness, wood, serious malt, and a little booze surfaces after a few seconds.
M. Smooth, large, viscous = what I want in a RIS.
O. Among the best RIS's I've tried on tap, along with Rasputin. Highly recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

A special beer, or possibly a special style, im not quite sure.

A: Tar, head is nonexistent except for the slightly less black cocoa brown rippling bubbles that surface. Its just black. Lacing is actually coating of beer.

S: Chocolate and thick, yup the thickness comes through the smell..somehow. Oak, whiskey, syrup...sweet notes.

T: Brownies but also an earthy flavor with lots of chocolate thickness. There is a whiskey-ish flavor that is making is slightly more like rye malt than roasted.

M: Just like tar, thick and coating. doesn't have the burn down the back of the throat you would expect from this abv.

D: Cant even get through one!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

An amazing extra from richbrew! Poured hard from 1pint 9oz bottle into snifter on 4/18. This one was BLACK with a dark brown head that dissappears quick. The nose is wonderful- dark fruit, bitter chocolate, malty goodness and a little booze detected. The taste follows suit plus coffee, roasted malt, a little vanilla, a bit of alcohol in the finish. This treat is full bodied and oily with expected carbonation for an impy. Very very good so drink slow and let it linger

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Batch 297
Brewed 30.06.10

Poured into snifter. Might be the blackest beer I've ever seen. Strong pour results in a fingers worth of dark brown head. Becomes a creamy crown for the rest of the session. It's a looker.

I got smacked in the face with the aroma. Really complex...alcohol is definitely present with charred wood and sweet dark fruit. Also pick up a hint of mollases.

Taste has alot going on.Dark cherry, chocolate, maple syrup, charred wood. All this is backed by a slow alcohol burn. A slow sipper that opens up further as it warms.

Mouthfeel is heavy. Some may say to much so, but I enjoy it. Still goes down pretty smooth.

Overall...I really like this beer. So complex and warm. It is a little hot but doesn't distract. It's a big boy RIS for sure. My first offering from Haandbryggeriet was a home run. Look forward to trying more.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

HaandBryggeriet Odin's Tipple pours a dark molases hue with a dark brown, short, short lasting head. Final rest is to an opaque brownish black liquid. Aromas are strong and well noticed. Pleasant of dark fruit with a little sour. Smokey hints also come about. Mouthfeel is sleak, medium dense, and mildly carbonated. Well made and continually changing for the better.

4.56/5  rDev +7%

I've tried my fair share of RIS's and this one is one of the best by far. Pours thick and black as night, beautiful dark brown head that dissipates very quickly. Cocoa and vanilla on the nose. Tastes incredible; strong notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Truly an world-class interpretation of the RIS style. May Odin bring good fortune to those who have the pleasure of consuming this divine ale.

Odin's Tipple from HaandBryggeriet