Krekling - HaandBryggeriet

HaandBryggeriet visit their website
Norway

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 08-27-2010

Krekling is a fruity and refreshing fruit ale made with lots of these small berries picked at Finnmarksvidda up in the very north of Norway. These berries used to eaten for their thirst quenching effect. The beer has a nice reddish hue.

Krekling is 7% alc, 28 ibu, 19 ebc.
Fermented with our special house yeast.
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 9
3.72/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No idea on the age of this bottle. Thanks MasterOldBrownDog for sharing.

A- Reddish pour from the 500ml to a few glasses with a foamy, frothy white head. Decent head retention leads to a large belt that drops large sheets and webs of lacing.

S- Slight cranberry-like aroma with a bitter-tart fruit hint opens up to dustiness, earthy and old bread notes.

T- The fruitiness is a bit more apparent here and it reminds me slightly of cranberry and then general berry cocktail (strawberry, blueberry). Earthy dirt, herbal, slight must, apple juice and pale grains.

MF- Foamy and smooth overall mouthfeel with fairly high carbonation. Medium-bodied overall with a tiny bit of any oily fruit feel.

Not a ton of berries but with time they grow on me. Reminds me of something between a cranberry and a strawberry on top of a not so complex base beer.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Almost tea-like. Lighter bodied than the look led on. Refreshing.

2.16/5  rDev -39.8%

Don't remember where I got this. Think Julio's unless I got this as an extra in a trade. Anyways....

A- Poured into my Duvel tulip a very, very nice strawberry rhubarb-esc hazy hue with a good three finger of super super light pink head that fades to leave thick lacing and a dense, dense blanket. Looks just perfect.

S - Aroma is an epic let down. Its earthy, grains, almost a wheat aroma, wet hay. Getting no fruit at all. A shame.

T - Taste is almost as bad as the nose. Bitter, funky, wet hay, a slight flash of nondescript fruit. Some medicinal taste, earthy, just not well done.

M - Mouthfeel is on par with what I would like here, nice carbonation, crisp.

O - Overall a huge let down. Looked so great but smelled and tasted so mediocre. Huge disappointment.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I'm a huge fan of HaandBryggeriet and I've had the Krekling before and thought it was something I liked but this bottle is a huge disappointment.

A: Ruby/brown in color, light head, slight lace.

S: Earth and not much else.

T: Just bitter and funky, no hint of fruit or tartness, medicinal and astringent aftertaste.

M: Nice carbonation and mouthfeel.

Did something else end up in this bottle? No bottling date on this one.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A minor mishap while unloading my bag from the store lead to slightly uncapping this beer. Uh oh, guess I'll have to drink it now...

A: Big, gushing pink head. Did I mention this just got dropped on the floor? Really pretty red color, with medium clarity.

S: Smells like crowberries, I guess? Herbal, earth, sour. Perhaps most similar to blueberry, among common fruits, but distinctly something else. Some definitely funk in there too... mushrooms, wet hay

T: Somewhat similar to blueberry and cranberry. Intensely earthy with a mild bitter finish. Bready malt character in the mid-palate.

M: Medium-full body. Carbonation is a bit low, but that may be due to the traumatic circumstances of this pour.

O: At $10, a bit of a let down, although certainly a unique beer. What's a crowberry?!?!

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Review from notes - Norway 2011

The colour of the body is what makes its appearance being a beautiful and lush cranberry red. It's quite hazy with small amounts of carbonation creeping up the sides of the glass. Just over a finger's worth of off-white fizzy head rests on top. It has good staying power but leaves next to no lace as it sinks.

The first couple of whiffs bring a Berliner Weisse to mind. Spritzy, alive, tart, and sour. Slightly wheaty and slightly sweet. I've never had crowberries and that's why the beer's sweetness seems ambiguous to me. The best way I could describe it would be candied and berry-like.

Not nearly as tart as I had expected in the taste, but the tartness is still there nonetheless. A bit of sweetness is placed on the middle of the tongue, most likely from the crowberries. There's also a faint bready layer in the back. Its tartness is refreshing and perfect for a warm July day on the Oslofjord. The finish is slightly off-putting with a strange astringent bitterness left on the tongue. The overall flavour profile is quite simple.

I'm surprised on how light the body is for 7.4%. A spritzy and refreshing level of carbonation takes my mind off the body being a tad watery. Decently balanced with no sign of the ABV.

This is my first offering from Haandbryggeriet and it was interesting and quite refreshing but not one I'd buy again. I'm still open to trying more of their offerings and look forward to doing so.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Cloudy, orange-red colour with a small, short-lasted white head.

Light tart and fruity aroma with mild berry notes. Could be more intense.

Clean and crisp malt flavour with mild tartness and a hint of fruit. It seems a little subdued and wonder if it needs to be 7%.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. Crisp.

An interesting and easy drinking beer but the high alcohol seems pointless in this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Krekling is the second beer from the Norwegian HaandBryggeriet I've had (The first being Hesjeol, a smoked beer, the third Odin's Tipple an Imperial Stout). Krekling is made with crowberries, which I'd never heard of before I had this, but they're apparently supposed to have thirst quenching properties. My thirst was quenched. I absolutely loved this beer. It poured dark with a reddish hue without any head to speak of, just a lip around the glass. It was sour and tart, with a nice body and sharp taste that carried the beer all the way through.
I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who loves sour/tart flavor profiles.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, a beer brewed with crowberries,

A: Pours an amber red with a light whitish pink head, solid lace.

S: Very cranberry/red currant like notes, some tannin, but a pleasing berry scent.

T: For me it starts of a bit like a dark Belgian, hint of fig, but the crowberries come out fairly quickly. The taste is quite similar to cranberries with a hint of blueberry thrown in. Real nice flavour and blends real well with the malt.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, lightly tannic, soft carbonation.

D: This is a really good fruit beer, for me what SA Cranberry lambic should taste like. I've never heard of the crowberry before, but if you like cranberries, you'll like this.

Krekling from HaandBryggeriet