Krekling - HaandBryggeriet

good

HaandBryggeriet visit their website
Norway

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.40% ABV

Krekling is a fruity and refreshing fruit ale made with lots of these small berries picked at Finnmarksvidda up in the very north of Norway. These berries used to eaten for their thirst quenching effect. The beer has a nice reddish hue.

Krekling is 7% alc, 28 ibu, 19 ebc.
Fermented with our special house yeast.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 08-27-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by rudzud:
2.14/5  rDev -40.1%

Don't remember where I got this. Think Julio's unless I got this as an extra in a trade. Anyways....

A- Poured into my Duvel tulip a very, very nice strawberry rhubarb-esc hazy hue with a good three finger of super super light pink head that fades to leave thick lacing and a dense, dense blanket. Looks just perfect.

S - Aroma is an epic let down. Its earthy, grains, almost a wheat aroma, wet hay. Getting no fruit at all. A shame.

T - Taste is almost as bad as the nose. Bitter, funky, wet hay, a slight flash of nondescript fruit. Some medicinal taste, earthy, just not well done.

M - Mouthfeel is on par with what I would like here, nice carbonation, crisp.

O - Overall a huge let down. Looked so great but smelled and tasted so mediocre. Huge disappointment.

2.24/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I'm a huge fan of HaandBryggeriet and I've had the Krekling before and thought it was something I liked but this bottle is a huge disappointment.

A: Ruby/brown in color, light head, slight lace.

S: Earth and not much else.

T: Just bitter and funky, no hint of fruit or tartness, medicinal and astringent aftertaste.

M: Nice carbonation and mouthfeel.

Did something else end up in this bottle? No bottling date on this one.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Review from notes - Norway 2011

The colour of the body is what makes its appearance being a beautiful and lush cranberry red. It's quite hazy with small amounts of carbonation creeping up the sides of the glass. Just over a finger's worth of off-white fizzy head rests on top. It has good staying power but leaves next to no lace as it sinks.

The first couple of whiffs bring a Berliner Weisse to mind. Spritzy, alive, tart, and sour. Slightly wheaty and slightly sweet. I've never had crowberries and that's why the beer's sweetness seems ambiguous to me. The best way I could describe it would be candied and berry-like.

Not nearly as tart as I had expected in the taste, but the tartness is still there nonetheless. A bit of sweetness is placed on the middle of the tongue, most likely from the crowberries. There's also a faint bready layer in the back. Its tartness is refreshing and perfect for a warm July day on the Oslofjord. The finish is slightly off-putting with a strange astringent bitterness left on the tongue. The overall flavour profile is quite simple.

I'm surprised on how light the body is for 7.4%. A spritzy and refreshing level of carbonation takes my mind off the body being a tad watery. Decently balanced with no sign of the ABV.

This is my first offering from Haandbryggeriet and it was interesting and quite refreshing but not one I'd buy again. I'm still open to trying more of their offerings and look forward to doing so.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

4.4/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Krekling is the second beer from the Norwegian HaandBryggeriet I've had (The first being Hesjeol, a smoked beer, the third Odin's Tipple an Imperial Stout). Krekling is made with crowberries, which I'd never heard of before I had this, but they're apparently supposed to have thirst quenching properties. My thirst was quenched. I absolutely loved this beer. It poured dark with a reddish hue without any head to speak of, just a lip around the glass. It was sour and tart, with a nice body and sharp taste that carried the beer all the way through.
I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who loves sour/tart flavor profiles.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »