Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Zierholz Premium Brewery
Australia | website

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by dgilks on 02-02-2010

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.03/5  rDev n/a

This is the current Zierholz seasonal beer. A California Common made with Australian hops.

Served just a touch cold the aroma is relatively dull. A hint of Australian type tropical hops come through blending well with the malt.

The beer itself is a nice copper colour with a creamy off white head. Good head retention. It is a touch hazier than it should be.

The taste is impressive and strikes me as a classic California Common except for the hops. I get toasty yet caramelly malts with a prominent, tasty bitterness. The hops are not the rustic Northern Brewer type that are typical of Anchor Steam. Instead, we get what I assume Australian grown noble hops with their slightly citrusy, tropical notes. They really are quite nice and the beer works for me.

The medium mouthfeel and moderately-high carbonation work well with the dryness of the beer.

A great beer from Zierholz. While not a classic California Common the beer is a very tasty local version and to my palate one of the best beers he makes.

Zierholz Australian Steam Beer from Zierholz Premium Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.