Octoberfest - Union Barrel Works

Octoberfest
No picture uploaded.

Union Barrel Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerIsland on 10-14-2007)
3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

A big thanks goes out to Dim for providing this growler to me. I have been on a mission to try as many fest beers as possible this year and I have really been making great strides in the area, and to have these little local, un-bottled ones to get in the action is just wonderful. Served chilled, right from the fridge, this one was consumed on 10/16/2008.

The pour was decent I have to say. A very rich and very dark, orange tinted amber came through on this one right away. Very clear, and through the glass I could make out a good bit of carbonation that was streaking its way skyward throughout the session. A small, maybe a quarter inch of head came up over the top and settled down gradually to a thin film that never did go anywhere after that.

The aroma was musky, very much a malt bomb here for sure. It had that deep, musty bread like aroma to it. Lots of subtle biscuit smells as well as a touch of caramel that wondered in through the middle of it. This carried over well into the flavor, though I have to admit I wasn't the craziest about it. It seemed to come off almost too malt driven for me. Not really a hop note to balance it out enough to give me some semblance of depth. As it warmed though it started to become a good bit sweeter and much more complex, but by this time I had all but finished it, so it may have been the alcohol talking. Creamy, smooth feel, was slightly chewy and the medium body lended itself very well to the style. Easily session able I had no issue at all with throwing this one down in a few hours.

Overall while not my favorite that I have had this season, I will give them credit. It is so hard for these little guys to make this style, not much room for error at all, but this one seemed to pull it off well. I would like to try it on tap to have it fresh, but otherwise, this was solid.

mikesgroove, Oct 23, 2008
3.9/5  rDev 0%

I thought this was a pretty good beer. I had it side by side with the Lager and found it smoother with more complexity, not that the lager was bad at all. It's a nice amber color and the head lasted better than any of the other beers we got, particularly the Lager. I got some butterscotch aspects to the malts and the balance was real good. Nice and drinkable.

BeerIsland, Oct 14, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Also known as Uncle Fester, this beer was served on-tap at the Reamstown brewpub.

A: The festbier is a dark red-brown color, liquid mahogany. The depth of the lager is remarkable, one of the darkest marzens that I've ever seen.

S: The aroma is malty, sweet with a fortified cereal body. The malts have a dry sweetness, not sugary, that reveal a strong boozy side.

T: The beer is a malty overload, so full of caramel sweetness and chewy grains that I was caught off guard. The darkness of the beer is not carried into the flavor, this is not a syrupy caramel. Some burnt toast flavors add more grainy depth. A sweetness lingers throughout, green grapes and apples, just enough to remind you that this is a marzen.

M: The marzen is fairly strong, clocking in around 7.5%. The intensity of the malt body sits very nicely on the palate, mixing with sweet fruit flavors to create a filling drink.

D: The abv is fairly high but this is a perfect beer for a chilly fall afternoon. I'll be back then to get some more.

akorsak, Aug 06, 2008

I have had two growlers of this beer and now last night I was at the brewpub Chatting with Tom and his bartender Nelson enjoying a pint on site.

Appearance: It is served a ruddy copper color with a beige head and little lacing. The head fades to a ring around the collar.

Smell: Hints of fruit and toasted malt; a touch of grain and barely noticeable leafy hop.

Taste: It is a clean lager first and foremost. Nice. The toasted Bavarian malt and the with a nip of fruit element and nice dryness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Smooth body dry finish.

Drinkability: Coming from the amazing Tom Rupp I was expecting to have socks and maybe even pants blown off me. Well... it was really more what I should have been expecting; simple traditional and *extremely* sessionable O-fest beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Nov 02, 2007

Served as a medium copper colored beer with moderate off-white head.
Smell is loaded with caramel and sweet fruitiness.
Taste also shows lots of caramel. There is some nice apricot and apple flavors also present. No bitterness at all.
Very refreshing and floavorful.
A nice middle-of-the-road beer. GReat example of the style. Great to session.

tgbljb, Dec 23, 2007

Poured a hazy copper with 1 finger of foamy khaki colored head. Good retention and some sticky lacing. Smells of caramel, bread, butter, and floral hops. Tastes of sugar, bread, caramel, butter, peppery spices, and light floral and grassy hops in the finish. Medium in body with good carbonation. Sweet and bready, but with some spiciness and a nice hop balance. A really good Oktoberfest, very good, refreshing, and easy to drink.

HopDerek, Oct 15, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

a: This was a moderately cloudy, coppery amber color. It was served to me with a thin off-white head.

s: Grainy aromas of caramel with a little apricot thrown in.

t: Malts, malts, malts. Thick and chewy mildly fruity butterscotch. I think I found a little hop bitterness at the end.

m: I know nothing about this style so maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. This had a very robust body and lovely creamy carbonation. Nice.

d: I tend to ignore lagers, but this place is beginning to turn me around.

DIM, Oct 11, 2008
Octoberfest from Union Barrel Works
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.