Pilsner - Union Barrel Works

to view more.
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by Tucquan:
3.24/5  rDev -6.1%

Had this on-tap at the brewery.

I stopped in after a long hike for a couple of beers. It was my first time in this brewery and it is a very comfortable environment.

The knowledgeable bartender told me about each of their beers, including this relatively new pilsner. I'd been drinking Pilsner Urquells lately and thought I'd have a go at this one.

Presented in a 16 oz. glass, the gold, unfiltered ale with a 1" white head was attractive. After a sip of beer, the sun came out from behind some clouds and a ray of light from a high, transom window knifed down and lit up my beer with an angelic glow. It was startling. The three patrons sitting next to me were looking over in amazement too. One took out a camera. It was the best looking beer I'd ever seen.

The taste wasn't much like the Pilsner Urquell's I'd been drinking. Definitely less carbonation and hops than the Pilsners I usually drink. I've heard this brewmaster believes in lower levels of hops and this beer reflects it. It also wasn't as cold as I like. This isn't a session beer; at least for me.

All-in-all though, it was a pleasant enough beer, just not one I'd seek out.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Dense hazy lemon color with an off white head that was slight in statue buy clingy on the glass lace wise. Moderate show of effervesce.

S: Soft scents of lemony grains, clean.

T: Grainy with a bit of straw and lemony flavors. Clean as with most their beers, soft breadiness with a gentle touch of spicy flowers at the end. A little more saaz wouldn’t hurt and could be a bit crisper and sharper on the tongue.

M: Medium base per style, some graininess comes through as well dry flowers on the swallow.

O: Good flavor, decent show of strength as well balance. I could go for a repeat here.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

Transcribed from undated notes.

This arrived with a finger of bone-white head with limited retention. Nose had a great Saaz presence. Color was a medium golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a solid Saaz tang on the tongue. Finish was slightly dry but any hophead worth their salt would find this satiating.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

A-Hazy golden yellow with a medium bright white head that left decent lacing.

S-Bright lemon with some grassy hops and bready (not biscuity) malt.

T-Grassy hops and bready malt, lemon zip not as present on the palate as it was in the nose.

M-Medium-light body with soft carbonation. The crisp hoppy bite is muted. Would like a bit more crispness....too soft for my liking.

D-Lacks the flavour and mouthfeel of a true pilsner. Everything is too muted and not bright and crisp like I would expect. Not bad and certainly drinkable but nothing to WOW! over.

3.83/5  rDev +11%

a: This unfiltered offering was a hazy straw colored yellow. Big points to the bartender for leaving a one inch pillowy white head in my pint glass. Also worth noting, I'm glad UBW doesn't serve these obnoxiously cold.

s: Some mild grain aromas and lemony, biscuity hops. I'm used to an American pils with lots of hops, but this had a nice clean aroma overall.

t: I hate using words like crisp and clean for fear of sounding like Denis Leary describing Budweiser. Oh well, this was crisp and clean. The malts were moderately sweet and a bit grainy. The hops were soft and biscuity.

m: Different for a pils. The carbonation was gentle and lush while the body was quite viscous.

d: I had two of these and skipped out on their maibock (my favorite from them). It was very different from the Americanized pils that I'm used to, but I very much enjoyed it nonetheless.

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On tap at UBW on 4/11/08.

A - Golden body with a touch of haze and one-finger creamy white head that left decent lacing. Lacing didn't really stick well, though. Very sparse amount of carbonation.

S - Hmmmm... smells like a marco. Budweiser?! Really dominant lemon scent with some grass and bread. Malt is not very biscuity at all.

T - Heavy on lemon, but pretty watered down. Some grassy hops and bready malt. Temperature is too warm for a pils.

M - Very watery texture with soft carbonation and only a mild bitterness. The crisp hoppy bite of a classic pilsner is missing here.

D - Pretty disappointed overall. While it's easy to drink, this pilsner is lacking the flavor and mouthfeel of a true pilsner. It definitely needs some work in the aroma, taste and mouthfeel departments. Could be served at a cooler temperature, and could also benefit from some more carbonation and more hops.

to view more.