Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 3,960
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber with “2003 Series” on the label.

Appearance: The foamy head holds it form as it settles at a snails pace, good clarity off the bright copper toned colour.

Smell: Super piney in the nose, fresh flowers and pine sap as well as some citric notes. Incredibly fragrant and spot on for a modern day IPA.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Big smack in the kisser with hops, not relying on bitterness alone but lots of hop flavour as well. The 60 IBUs flex hard on the taste buds, damn bitter. The warming alcohol comes middle to end with a poignant fruitiness and ester character that lays 2nd to the hops. The malt character has the biggest work out to push through and add some balance which it half heartedly does, but the foundation is not shaken with a sweetness that hold together for the duration. The hops don’t shake off even long into the finish, lots of bitterness and flavour in the end.

Notes: Remarkable, simply put this is a stellar IPA. If you are not a hop head or can’t truly enjoy a hoppy beer this is not your mug of beer. If so this goes down as a must try, meaning that … if you did not know, this is a limited batch so look for it now.

although new to the site, i have been consuming beer long enough to not consider myself a novice. up to this point, i've resisted the urge to review other beers, focusing more on one truly deserving such recognition. titan IPA is that beer.

forget the technical jargon e.g., smell, appearance, taste, etc. this craft brew blends all harmoniously into what is quite simply put, the beginning and end of IPAs. as a self-proclaimed hop head, i implore anyone seeking perfection to obtain this beer now.

the gods themselves must have bowed in envy to the divine body that created the essence of india pale ale.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am a big fan of Great Divide. I have heard, however, that this variety is very bitter and is like a palate wrecker. But as a hop head, I embrace the challenge. And with a medium 7.1% ABV and 65 IBUs, I think that I can handle this IPA.

Look-It pours a clear light amber color which shimmers light gold in the light which makes for a nice contrast. However, in an oblique lighting it takes on a coppery red hue which makes this beer look very versatile. Extra points for that! The head is egg-white foamy and has billowing fingers like a sponge if you pour vigorously. The lacing is thick, globby, and foamy which is also quite unique.

Smell-I get earthy piney hops and caramel malts. The citrus that I get is lightly orange and grapefruit. I also get flower aromas like clover and dandelion.

Taste-I get the sweet caramel malts that are not overly sweet. The hops manifest themselves through a piney earthiness that is tinged slightly with essences of lilac and clover. The bitterness is well-balanced with the malts which also have a smoky/toasted grain to it almost like buttered bread. So far I am quite impressed with the not-so-subtle flavor, aroma, and visual characteristics of this brew.

Mouthfeel-It is medium-bodied and sweet, but not syrupy. It has a sticky component and a lingering caramel/pine partnership with a tinge of citrus. It is so pleasant if you pay close attention. If your palate is idiotic, then you won’t enjoy the most fine subtleties of this brew that are quite obvious to my advanced palate.

Overall-This beer really did surprise me. I started out doubtful, but even with a slightly old bottling date I was very impressed with the finer qualities of this beer. I drink for the experience and not the buzz (but the buzz is a plus of course, LOL), and this brew has it all. It is well-balanced and enjoyable. It is sweet but not too much. It is hoppy and bitter but finishes clean and the flavors are well integrated. Cheers, Titans!

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Pristine bright orange with amber trim and a dense cap of orangish beige that has seemingly millions of tiny bubbles that become millions of tiny pits when they burst. Thick, pocked lace is beginning to be laid down in sticky sheets and gives the impression that very little of the glass will be untouched when it's finally emptied of beer.

This a nose that hits the hop lovers among us right where we live. Wave upon wave of beautifully pungent hop oil is atomized into my waiting nostrils and makes me dizzy with anticipation. Titan smells like candied pink grapefruit sections with just enough caramel to lend olfactory interest without spoiling the hop rave. It smells a bit tropical too, but not as much as some.

Big, juicy, hoppy, delicious! The beer doesn't make any overtures toward the DIPA style, but as in the nose, the caramel malt contribution is noted and appreciated. It lurks among the hop vines, staying out of sight, adding another dimension to the already outstanding hop-dominant flavor.

I've had hoppier beer, but there's no reason that every brewery needs to engage in a macho game of hoppy one-up-manship. Great Divide has added more than enough to keep 99% of hopheads satisfied. Have I used the word 'hop' enough? Hoppity, hoppity, hop!

As expected, my glass is filthy with hop crust. The finish is on the long side, which allows the many facets of the 'hop jewel' to become even better defined. Pink grapefruit segues into orange which segues into lemon which segues back into pink grapefruit. There's a perfect point-counterpoint of bitter and sweet that makes my mouth very happy indeed. All 65 IBUs have been utilized to their fullest extent. I'd have guessed a little higher.

The mouthfeel is medium-full for the IPA style and is as lush and as smooth as the day is long (and there are only a handful of days longer than today). The beer slides down like summer weight silk and makes me want to keep drinking for the mouthfeel alone. Well, okay, the hopiliciousness has something to do with my need to gulp this nectar.

This is, without question, a Titan among IPAs. I have no desire to split hairs and say why it isn't ranked among my very favorites. Suffice it to say that this beer, at this point in time, is scatching my 'hop itch' with a vengeance and is a beer to be reckoned with for all who love humulus lupulus like they love life itself. Great Divide made a convert of me a long time ago. Titan IPA is simply the icing on the cake.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

Still another big winner from Great Divide,a slightly hazy copper/orange with a tight one finger head on top that settles leavinga ring of lace behind.Very piney aromas with a touch of lemon/citrus very intense and in your face,very resiny flavors along with pine but there is some balance going on a big caramelly malt backbone mingles very nicely and holds up very well to the huge dose of hops.Another great hop gem from Great Divide they rock.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance – This one is a crystal clear IPAish orange in color with s big, lightly-tanned head that seemed to last forever and laced the heck out of the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell – The nose is big, complex hops gone wild. The raunchy pine sticks out above the others, but there is plenty to keep you interested. There’s also a mild caramel malt base as well.

Taste – The malts pick things up at the taste, but it’s that piney hop flavor that leads the show. It’s almost like it’s dry hopped.

Mouthfeel – This one is on the lighter side of medium-bodied with some brutal dryness.

Drinkability – I thought that the body was a little light for these bold flavors, but otherwise it was a terrific AIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Bright copper kettle color with a most impressive head. The head appears almost identical to the head on a root bear float. It stands like an ivory tower swirling out of a copper sea. It lasts forever.

Smell: Uber piney nose with healthy doses of grapefruit.

Taste: Pure hops smacks you upside your goram face. Grapefruit licks your tongue like a salty dog on acid.

Mouthfeel: mmm bitter.

Drinkable as they come.

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance - pours a hazy, burnt flat orange color. 1.5 finger head has a cream color and big craters. Thick, crystalline lacing.

Aroma - sharp, unsweetened orange juice, pine aromas abound, pretty intense, very good.

Taste - nice malt base, hop levels are strong. Tasting pine the most, orange and grapefruit to a lesser extent but plenty of presence. Finishes dry, bitter, taste of sour grapefruit.

Mouthfeel - solid, oily body with a tasty residual property. Decent carbonation, no flaws that I can see.

Drinkability - pretty good, but unless the price is just below any other enjoyable IPA, I probably would not buy this first.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%

I'll start by saying when I bought this last summer, it had a far more intense hop nose and flavor. That said, the 3 or 4 times I've had it since, I haven't gotten the same effect, probably an east coast freshness issue. The appearance is one intangible, with a thick, clumpy froth leaving gorgeous lacing down the glass. Brilliant orange.

The nose on this one lacks the intense pine and citrus I remember from before. It is replaced with the biscuit and nuttiness reminiscent of UK base malt, and a fruity though subdued yeast character.

Citrus and pine hops remain in the flavor over the aforementioned malt. Resiny, but the biscuit flavor seems like more of a UK flavor than American.

Nice body keeps it fairly balanced and drinkable, not cloying in any sense.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes on 5/14/10.

A: Poured into a snifter, this beer appears the color of an autumnal rust orange with a touch of amber and is a little hazy. A 1/2 finger head disappears quickly and leaves a white film on top of the beer proper. The lacing looks like paint wildly splattered onto a wall and is sticky-icky.

S: I smell a sweet, honey-like malt aroma that is well balanced by a strong, piney and sweet citrus hop character.

T: The first thing that struck me is how evenly matched the malt and hops are. The malt lends a full honey and syrupy sweetness which is met with a crisp piney bitterness as counterpoint. I also taste orange, lemon, and lemon peel flavors from the hops. This is a fine tasting IPA.

M: This is really on the fuller bodied side for an IPA. I get a nice creamy texture which coats my palate nicely, followed by a nice drying bitterness from the hops. I would classify this mouthfeel as complex.

D: I do love me some IPA and this is one of the best I have had. I will absolutely be having more of Titan IPA. This beer hits on all aspects of the style that I love and hits on them well. Truly and well crafted brew.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Crackery malt aroma with pine and a distinct woody note that I also get from Hibernation.

The flavor is brighter than the aroma adding a citrus note to the wood and pine.

Mouthfeel is light-medium, somewhat chewy, with plenty of carbonation.

A really unique IPA, but I couldn't get into like I hoped I would. It lacked vibrance to me.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

bottle poured into a pint glass

A: nice hazy but bright orange body. off white creamy head with a nice light lacing. subsides to a ring basically but agitation easily brings back froth.

S: creamy butter, floral hops, light grain, touch of sugar

T: after your palate acclimates to the hops, the beer shows a malt body first, some butter cream, then a hop flash to balance the richness. almonds, candy bar nugget (how the hell do you spell nugget?), even some chocolate-like somebody threw a Snickers in a blender then dumped it into my beer. some lemon, and a very nice balance of drying/bittering hop on the finish. continues to dry instigating another sip. nice floral hops, not to bitter, refreshing and very green tasting.

M: good weight, carb level, chewy, nice all around.

D: pretty rich, couldnt handle a whole lot but my palate doesnt prefer highly hopped beers in quantity.

awash in the sea of IPA's that we find ourselves in, this one stands out.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle to a goblet. The label on the bottle is pretty nice.

A - Beautiful looking beer! It has a light gold, almost slightly orange color. Its a little foggy. Lacing like crazy.

S - Hop scents and also slightly sweet. Citrus with slight floral hints. It makes my mouth water, smells quite good.

T - Hop bitterness, perfect amount for my tastes. Some light malt which is hidden behind some citrus and pine. The bitterness form the hops linger on the tongue until the next sip.

M - It feels slightly thick and heavy, medium carbonation. The bitterness stays with you all the way down your throat. Slightly dry finish.

O - I will likely buy this one again in the future. I really enjoyed this beer by Great Divide. The hard hitting hops and piney citrus tie in to create a very delicious IPA brew. The smell and look of the beer make it impossible to refuse a drink of it. Go get yourself a bottle or two of this.

3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottles on date Jul 17, 2009

A: Dull orangy amber. Slight haze. Lovwely creamy soft off-white finger head. Some nice fine lacing.

S: Breadiness and caramel trump the pine hops.

T: This is a simple pleasure. Really tasty bready and caramel malt. Some citrus but mostly pine hop in the finish and aftertaste. Really pleasing.

M: Full side of medium bodied. The malt really adds to the fullness with one hell of a backbone. Plenty of fine carb that is fairly gentle on the palate.

D: I love a very aggressive IPA. I tend to prefer the hop forward versions but this beer reminded me that I love malt. It's definately a hoppy beer but it doesn't seem that way because the malt is so predominant. It's one of those beers that you can throw back - very drinkable. Really nicely done and well balanced. As much as I enjoyed it, I would love to try a more hop forward version.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company