Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 3,961
3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

Sitting at Tulunes bar in Johnstown, PA having some after work malted refreshments and decided to try the Titan IPA from Great Divide. The color/appearance was a cloudy amber that had a lot of settlement in it....I HATE FLOATIES!!!! The nose was great...no surprise....a great floral bouquet which leaned more toward pine than citrus. The taste was not what I was hoping....I think the bottle I had may have been over primed, but I have certainly had better IPAs...and I was really hoping this was going to be good. The mouthfeel was ok, certainly could session. I will try to taste this one again sometime...perhaps I will like it better.

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

A: The pour is a golden orange color with a finger's worth of white head.

S: The nose starts off with a big bitter grapefruit aroma as well as some solventy notes. I get a bit of a Lemon Pledge aroma to this beer. There's a touch of sourness and an undertone of bready malt.

T: A moderate bitterness with a pretty substantial malt character for an IPA. Some piney hops provide bitterness as does grapefruit and citrus peel.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. The finish is pretty dry and bitter.

D: Wasn't really a fan of this one. It didn't have very many of the traits I usually look for in an IPA.

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

Great typeface and nice label. Pours a deep copper(!) with good clarity and a slim rim of foam.

Aroma is gentle but similar to bigger centennial driven beers - both resiny and meaty, though tamer in comparison.

Taste is bright with its initial bitterness with a slight citrus quench, but the malt is missing and the taste just drops off. Still a nice beer, but the lack of body and malt contribution leave it a bit short of greatness.

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

This was my friday after work beer today. Sat out in the sun, enjoying an ipa at a patio bar down at my local.

Pours an amberish copperish yellowish mixed ass color. its not yellow, but its not red... The cap is about 1 finger of great looking off white head. There is nice retention on this baby. The lacing is really nice too.

The aroma starts off with nice piney hops. There is a really sweet malt backbone that really muddles it though. Overall a decent smell on it though.

The taste follows the nose, with more sweet malts. the hop profile is nice, but I think it gets messed up by too much sweetness. There is some citrus hops with some pine in there as well. I really wish this wasnt so sweet and malty, and more dry.

Overall, its an alright beer for a hot lawnmower day, but nothing that I would seek out in the future.

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%

bottled 1-21-2010

pours clear golen copper with a 2 finger head that has great retention and left lacing all over the glass

smell is metalic tangy malts very little grapefruit hops

taste a little better then the nose - oak fruit malts

mouthfeel is ok very little carbonation smooth and creamy

drinkability so so - i doubt i buy this again - it had been a while since i last had one and boy has my palate changed

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured 12oz into a pint glass

A- Nice amber color. Hazy pour. Not much head, but lots of lacing sticking to the glass.

S- Hoppy aroma. Pine mixed with a grapefruit maybe. Malt undertones to it.

T- Not your typical IPA. More sweetness to it from the malts. Bready malts come through more than the pine hops. Slight bitterness in the middle gives way to the sweetness. Expected more hops rather than malts.

M- Medium body. Small carbonation. Dryer finish.

D- Not quite what I was expecting from an IPA. The balance was good though. Enough hops to keep the malts in check, but still more sweet. I typically like more hop bitterness to my IPA's so I probably won't be picking up another one of these.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Almost cotton candy like head. Thick but very light and lacy. Less than brilliant but appealing amber color. Smells precisely as you'd expect. There's no question at all that you are about to drink an IPA. I think typicity is a good thing. Specific esters I'm getting on the nose are grapefruit and corn.

On the palette it is surprisingly malty and far less bitter than the classic IPA nose prepares you for. Honestly, I could do with a bit less malt and a bit more flamboyance, and I'm not necc. a big hop-head. In fact, this sort of reminds me of an IPA version of Fat Tire, just a bit too chunky for it's own good.

Tasty enough, I guess, but not something that I'm drawn to.

3.31/5  rDev -19.1%

Second beer I have tried from great divide and had the same issue with this beer poured with a hellacious head took four pours due to an enormous head. When all was said and done it was a hazy golden beer with a light fluffy off white head. Smell was of biscuity malt and piney hops. Taste was mostly dominated by floral and piney hops had an off flavor that reminded my of soap. Mouthfeel was clean and crisp very clean beer. Drinkability was good, brewed to its style but not my favorite ipa.

3.31/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a clear light orange color with one and a half fingers of white head.

Scent of caramel, earth, and some hops. A bit overly sweet with not enough of a hop presence. Unimpressive, and it was bottled three weeks before I opened it.

Taste of piny hops, caramel, a hint of alcohol, and some fruit. Again the hops presence and bitterness are muted. It's okay, but too sweet and not nearly bitter enough for me. I don't care enough for this to purchase it again.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied and slick with low carbonation.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottled on November 10,2009. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a typical orangeish-amber color, with a fluffy, rocky off-white head that had very good retention and surprisingly low lacing.

A piney hop aroma greets the nose. There is a touch of malt sweetness in the background. The flavors are very similar to the aromas, mostly pine hops, with some citrus and floral notes, supported by a bit of malt.

The body was typical for this style. Drinkability suffered a touch due to the 7% ABV, if drinking a beer of that strength I ecpect more and bolder flavors to go with it.

Overall a decent IPA that I'll have again and is worth your time.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

At first i liked this IPA. But after Having an ohio IPA, i find this a little bland and boring. More like a pale ale than an IPA if you ask me. The best part is the crisp clean slightly over carbonated mouth feel. I feel the hops are too weak making the malts more prevalent. Overall i enjoyed this brew, but i would never take it over a rhinegeist or madtree IPA or any ohio IPA for that fact.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

On-tap at the Independent. It was accidentally put on nitro.

A - It pours a golden copper with an off-white head that resembles pancake batter.

S - The smell is vague IPA, nondescript except to say it is sort of cabbage-y.

T - Fantastic hop flavor dominates the taste; herbal, citric, and grassy. The pale malt is way in the background, but it seems to have a metallic tinge which becomes more apparent on the finish. I am not sure if the nitro-tap changed the flavor profile, or what, but it is sub-par compared to the bottle.

M - This is the real casualty of the accidental nitro-tapping; the brew is not dense enough to hold the nitro-carbonation, as a result the effervescence does not last very long at all, leaving a flat beer in a relatively short time.

D - I believe this brew would've been better with old-fashioned co2.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Fluffy off white head with good retention. Nice sticky lace that leaves a documenting ring with each sip. Color is a clear dark coppery red.
Smell is piney with a sweet malty background. Taste is equally piney with a bit of grapefruit citrus flavors added.
Mouthfeel is a slightly syrupy body with really no carbonation to it. The initial head is misleading as to what to expect with the carbonation. I was starting to think I may have gotten a bad batch, but after looking over other reviews it seems this is the norm. This is pretty disappointing to me. This beer has everything else going for it. Just adding a bit of carbonation to it would give it an added crispness that I enjoy in an IPA. I will finish off the six pack, but probably won't get this again.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz bottle poured into tulip pint; thanks Jesse13713! This bottle doesn't have a date printed in the best by box, so here's hoping it's recent.

A: Pours a very hazy, golden-amber-pollen color, with an inch of frothy white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Citrus and pine hops, caramel malts, and a hint of diacetyl along with some bready malts.

T: Grapefruit hops and caramel malts once again; nothing here stands out as unique or exceptionally tasty to me- this is a standard, solid IPA. Sweet malty finish.

M: Medium-bodied, light carbonation, smooth, with a slightly sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily; nothing stopping me from having another sip, but nothing beckoning me to it either.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottled November '09, so this should be pretty good.

Nice copper color, with a modest head that laces decently and sticks around pretty well.

Aroma is of musky hops, and those typical beery smells.

Flavor was nothing to write home about. Kind of a muffled hop presence, with a sweet and malty residual flavor. Somewhat spicy and herbal. Where are the bright citrusy and piney flavors? Sort of disappointing. Mouthfeel was okay, pretty creamy.

I'm a big IPA fan, and this stuff just wasn't up to snuff. Bad bottle?

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

pours a plain bubbly copper with a decent near-white head that sticks around for a bit and laces well.

aroma is mostly of citrus hops and caramel malt. pretty balanced in the aroma. not as hoppy as I had predicted, but still nice.

The hop profile is pretty heavy in bitter citrus tasting hops. not much pine or fresh-cut grass in this flavor profile. plenty of bitter grapefruit that is sweetened up a bit by the toffee and caramel malts. oily and resiny with a bit of alcohol lingering.

medium bodied with plenty of resin and bitterness left on the tongue. prickly carbonation is ample.

goes down just above average for me. a bit alcoholic, bitter, and rather sweet. I'm not too big of a fan of the hop profile and the malt profile does not help it for me, though it may work for other brews. Would really welcome more piney/grassy/earthy hops rather than this. I can see how others would like it, but its not for me.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Decent looking IPA, darker than average with a thin fading head.

Smells decidedly bitter, almost medicinal. Maybe some herbal nature to the hops.

This is one bitter beer, tons of general hoppiness and hop bitterness that gives almost a metallic pull on the palate. Unfortunately there's not a lot of specific hop character or flavors coming through for me. Very bitter but no fruit/spice/pine/mint/tobacco or any other gustatory notes to impress me here. I've had this IPA several times so I know it's not just this bottle lacking.

Mouthfeel is above average, good carbonation to balance out that hop bomb bitterness

Overall not my favorite. Great divide has better beers, even better IPAs (see fresh hop). If you're looking for a bitter bomb, this'll do, but if you want more complexity look elsewhere.

3.36/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance - copper hue with a small white head. Bubbles streaming up from the bottom.
Smell - Okay, sweet malty with very minimal hop aroma.
Taste - Great bitterness, barely lingers. Mostly malty with some pine and light grapefruit hops to balance out. Overall a decent IPA though far from the best.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%

A: Pours a semi cloudy copper/orange color. A white fluffy and creamy head forms with just a touch of lace as the head recedes.
S: Citrus fruits and hops up front. Very typical for an American IPA. Buttery, biscuity, and nutty malt aroma. A complex malt profile for the style that I really enjoy.
T: Lots of hops. Grapefruit, citrus flavor. A cloying sweetness with a decent malt backbone. Plenty of hop bitterness though.
M/D: Average. Farly dry and slick in the mouth. The bitterness makes this hard for me to drink and session (like most IPA's for me I guess).

Not bad at all for the style, but it is not my favorite. I enjoy this beer, but not crazy about the style in general. If American IPA's are for you though, this is a most try.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Foamed up a bit upon popping so I started with a careful pour to try and offset the foaminess. Ugh it took me like 5 minutes to get this beer poured cuz i don't like to slurp the head and it lasted around forever. I seriously had to scoop some out because it was taking so long to go down. Idk if it is overcarbonated or i kept it too cold or what.. No freshness date :/

A - Obviously a very nice head. Still sticking around a few sips in.. Orange and very cloudy. there is a constant sheet of lace down the opposite end of the glass. very nice look.

S - pretty piny. Hints of alcohol and citrusy hops.

T - Piny and resinous up front.. Somewhat floral. I can't really taste and citrusy hops that I caught a very light glimpse of in the nose. Finishes nice and sweet with a not-so-palatecrunching bitterness. Its actually a pretty refreshing bitterness. Alcohol is definitely noticable.

M - Over-carbonated for me. Idk if this is an attribute of the beer or just a fault in bottling or packaging, but it seemed to be a little off. Every sip turned to froth in my mouth immediately that wasnt always so pleasant.

D - Nothing about this beer screams TITAN to me. Then again.. I got it as a single at a bottle shop and for lack of bottle dating I have to review this beer for what it is... and I wasn't terribly impressed by it.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Clear body, decent head, carbonation

Piney hop smell, malt

Mild hop taste. Bottle says Assertive Aromatic on it. I have had quite a few more hoppy beers lately, but Ill have to take it that this beer tastes more hoppy fresh. I bought the last two of a six pack that were at my local shop which has a large selection of beers.

Pleasing mouthfeel, there is some body and alchohol to it from the higher than average abv

Pretty bitter overall. I drank this off the tap and have to say that I was much more impressed when drinking it off the tap. It tasted fresher and less aged as an IPA is usually best. Still pretty good out of the bottle though. The bitterness was definitely more intense than I remember it being out of a tap.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance - poured a cloudy brownish orange color with very little head that quickly dissipate to nothing but a ring around the edge

smell -reminds me of citrus, but more orange then lemon or pine like many other peers in the style but not over the top, infact it was pretty weak smelling overall, but this maybe due to this bottle having been held on to too long.

taste - a well balanced IPA, not overly malty, not a hop bomb and hides its alcohol content quite well, i had to double check to actually believe it is 7%

mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

overall - a great beer that i hope to try again and would love to try a fresh sample on draft.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Jhawkinmo for giving me the chance to try this beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

Apperance- Golden copper color, with a good head (very dense bubbles) and good retention. Also good lacing

Smell- I got a mild hops smell from this one

Taset,Mouthfeel- Bitter hops in the front with a clean finish, medium to high carb as the bubbles tingled on my tounge enhancing the bitterness. Medium body

Drinkability- Good drinkable beer, would recommend this one to IPA lovers.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

this was a good brew I have always liked the beers from the great divde, this was drank from a bottle in an ice cold glass, very bitter for an IPA in my opinion.

not my favorite IPA a little different from most IPA's that i have had recently, I do recommend this brew but would recommend a flight from the great divide as well, they are all strong I think.

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours amber with a small white head, good lace, good retention.

S: Biscuity, crystal style malt, with some green notes - hops.

T: Grass, earth, some pea notes dominate the hops with a hint of citrus - grapefruit comes out in the end. Definite malt component, going more to the East.

M: Medium-bodied, mild aftertaste, crisp, smooth.

D: A nice IPA, glad I finally got to try it, good balance.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company