Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 3,961
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can into pint glass.
Vaguely cloudy medium-to-deep amber, nice white head, lots of foamy lacing.
Floral and fruity, like orange blossoms. (Being new to this game, I'm asking if that's "piney." I'm not tasting the resiny flavor I would call pine.)
Bready in front with citrus notes and a balanced, mildly bitter finish
Crisp, clean, and light; leans toward dryness
Nice overall balance. A easy IPA to like

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 12 oz can on November 14, 2015. Canned on Aug 25 2015. Look is bright copper, with a two finger head and sticky lingering lacing. Smell is pine resin and some sweet malt aromas. Taste is citrus fruit and rich malt notes. Feel medium in body with a nice balance of sweet malts and crisp hop bitterness in the finish.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great Divide Brewing Co. Titan IPA. 7.1% abv.

A: straw amber with a thin film of retained head
S: some pine, a lot of malt.
T: sweet and malty with a bit of pine.
M: the best part. Fills the mouth with sweetness and juicy hoppiness. A boozy warmth lingers on the tongue.
O: a good beer, a malt forward easy drinking IPA. Hard to tell it’s 7%.

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

If I were to sum this IPA up in two words, it would be Pine City. I enjoy those type of IPAs, so I found this one to be pretty good. If you're not a pine guy, stay away from this one.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Beer pours a pale ginger-straw color with a large, fluffy head. The aroma least with an odd but pleasant yeasty tang, followed by a woodsy, umami heavy hop aroma, back up by small tropical and piney notes. The flavor leads with a spicy, peppery, umami hop flavor, and a nice, almost corn like malt backbone. The mouthfeel is thin and refreshing. Overall this is a solid, very drinkable IPA. The hop presence tends towards english style, but the light body and hop dominance over malt place it distinctly American tone.

Starts with a great fruity tone of citrus; grapefruit and tangerines mostly. Not much floral or herb tones but I get a little piney resin. This is is a nice relaxed IPA with a lower bitterness and enough malt to let you know it's there.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a beautiful copper-toned color with tons of clarity, and a nice foamy head. Smell is of pine trees and the fresh morning dew in an evergreen forest. Flavor begins with pine needles, some sappy resin, and then a bready/caramel-like sweetness peeks its head out from the bitter explosion of hops, before some residual fruit comes forward - not tropical fruit, mind you...some citrus but also lots of berry and some pink grapefruit in there too. The nice thing about this beer is it remains complex for 10+ years even by modern standards of IPA flavors, remaining a classic interpretation that just tastes like it had to be from the mountainous land of Denver. A perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Great minds drink alike, indeed!

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz bottle - Bottled date of 7/28/2015
Poured into tulip

Look - Clear, copper color
Smell - Weak nose. Had to dig deep to get anything and still didn't get much. Maybe some pine, grass, faint hints of citrus and floral
Taste - Semi citrusy, sweet malts, floral, grassy, pine

Overall - I was shocked to see this beer rated so high. Mediocre IPA

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Definitely one of the best IPAs out there. It has a great color when poured (golden, amber), and it has a rich flavor. It is good all around. It has a great hop bitterness, a pine upfront taste, and it has a sweet malty taste on the back end. I have had it in a can and also on tap and the sweetness of the IPA is very consistent. At 7.1 ALC, you also get a little warmth from the alcohol, which may or may not be what youre looking for... to each their own. Cheers

3.56/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, pine, some citrus. Taste is piney hops, resin, bitter, some malts are present, finishes dry. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, but it didn't blow me away.

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear orange body, rocky white billowing head. Smell and taste is straightforward orange pulp and pine, sweet/warm malt/biscuit to more than counterbalance, even sometimes taking the lead. At their deepest the malts reach a nearly Belgian-like date palm character. Slight syrup feel (negative), which pillows the carbonation.
Hoppy AF, but not a creative use of them. Kudos for the power, but deficient in actually making a really tasty brew. It'll blow out one's palate with hoppy bitterness, but won't take it on a hoppy flavor adventure paradise. Points for aggression, but overall not very enjoyable.

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Heavy hopped beer with a malt backdrop
Appearance- This is an orangish-reddish colored beer with a small white head
Taste- Fantastic hopped brew. Has a slightly sweet flavor. world class.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. I was surprised by a relatively minimal head, about half an inch and moderate lacing. The beer is a nice yellow-orange. The nose of the beer was a high point - very inviting and suggesting plenty of hops await with fresh, grassy notes. Taste is quite bitter and hops are very dominant from start to finish. While I enjoy a hoppy IPA, this one could probably be more balanced. Very enjoyable and drinkable nonetheless.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

First sip seemed to be lots of alcohol, as I drank the beer it leveled out and got better with every taste.
I would say give it a try, buy one or 2 at your local spot though just in case.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange with a small tan head.
S: Grapefruit rind, raspberry, peach, and a bit of yeast.
T: Taste follows the nose, with additional grapefruit bitterness.
M: medium.
O: Pretty standard IPA.

I had this beer on at tap at various places near Yellowstone, Grand Teton & Jackson Hole . It is very refreshing, very tasty and highly recommended! Excellent!

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Strong malt presence, extremely bitter. More of a piney, heavily hopped IPA. Full body on this that makes it more of a sipper than something you'd want a few of in a sitting. Classic IPA style that's overall enjoyable.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This IPA has the perfect amount of malt holding up a fine, sharp presentation of hops. My preference is not for sticky, treacle-y IPAs -- veer towards clean, crisp hoppy finishes. This is a wonderfully balanced beer that successfully brings together the texture and flavor of burnt sugar and roasted backbone with bitter hop and citrus flavors.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am a big fan of Great Divide. I have heard, however, that this variety is very bitter and is like a palate wrecker. But as a hop head, I embrace the challenge. And with a medium 7.1% ABV and 65 IBUs, I think that I can handle this IPA.

Look-It pours a clear light amber color which shimmers light gold in the light which makes for a nice contrast. However, in an oblique lighting it takes on a coppery red hue which makes this beer look very versatile. Extra points for that! The head is egg-white foamy and has billowing fingers like a sponge if you pour vigorously. The lacing is thick, globby, and foamy which is also quite unique.

Smell-I get earthy piney hops and caramel malts. The citrus that I get is lightly orange and grapefruit. I also get flower aromas like clover and dandelion.

Taste-I get the sweet caramel malts that are not overly sweet. The hops manifest themselves through a piney earthiness that is tinged slightly with essences of lilac and clover. The bitterness is well-balanced with the malts which also have a smoky/toasted grain to it almost like buttered bread. So far I am quite impressed with the not-so-subtle flavor, aroma, and visual characteristics of this brew.

Mouthfeel-It is medium-bodied and sweet, but not syrupy. It has a sticky component and a lingering caramel/pine partnership with a tinge of citrus. It is so pleasant if you pay close attention. If your palate is idiotic, then you won’t enjoy the most fine subtleties of this brew that are quite obvious to my advanced palate.

Overall-This beer really did surprise me. I started out doubtful, but even with a slightly old bottling date I was very impressed with the finer qualities of this beer. I drink for the experience and not the buzz (but the buzz is a plus of course, LOL), and this brew has it all. It is well-balanced and enjoyable. It is sweet but not too much. It is hoppy and bitter but finishes clean and the flavors are well integrated. Cheers, Titans!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Near perfect. Great citrus smell, with a bit of pine. Same with taste with a touch of pepper and a good amount of bitter that sticks with you. Get this as much as you can.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Look: Billowing off white head has sticking power. Beautiful lacing. Hazy pale amber in color.

Smell: Wild flowers, pine and citrus. Really dank hops and a funky malt profile.

Taste: Super piney. Lots of Citrus. Bitter, but well balanced by the caramel malt.

Feel: Big perfect body. Carbonation and alcohol perfectly numbs. Perfect.

Overall: Some how I always forget about Titan but I'm always very happy when I rediscover it. It really is the baseline I judge a lot of other West Coast IPA's by.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice color, stunning head - 6 inch head! Very persistent! Almost magical!

Not especially aromatic.

Taste is on the dry side of bitter - similar hop profile as Sculpin IPA, but more dry, less easy to drink. Improves significantly as it warms beyond frig temperature.

Mouthfeel is fairly awesome - very rich. Perfect carbonation - small, not too much.

Overall, an IPA with some definite high points, but I prefer a different flavor profile.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

floral, citrus very crisp ipa, nice flavor easy to drink
subtle pleasant aroma
cloudy goldish in color with very light tan head
really enjoyed it, one of the better IPAs I’ve had

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Really interesting for an IPA. Do not get me wrong, I love IPAs, but they can get kind of boring, hoppy, bitter, strong as heck...check. That's why I love them, simple.

This one is a little different starts like an imperial with a big hop taste and then has a sweet almost cream ale like finish. Very nice.

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm no sommelier when it comes to beer, I like what I like! Smell, mouthfeel and look don't matter much to me (unless either is really horrible) , it's the taste that counts!
This IPA is fairly bitter to me but I've had more bitter. I like the piney term I've seen on here, describes this beer well. I used to like IPA beer but I think I have grown out of it (I rated it one point higher in taste due to this!)
Look: Looks like a beer, foamy on the top. I don't care about the lacing and other stuff but maybe I will later if I learn more and find out that the appearance has an effect on taste, what I do care about.
Smell: Smells how it tastes, piney.
Feel: I don't care enough about this factor unless the beer 'felt' really good or really bad going down. Heh, this one feels like a beer! Less watery than the normal adjunct beers I like.
Overall: I find this IPA to taste like an IPA. More on the bitter end of beer, to my taste, but not overly so.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company