Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 3,960
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Look: Billowing off white head has sticking power. Beautiful lacing. Hazy pale amber in color.

Smell: Wild flowers, pine and citrus. Really dank hops and a funky malt profile.

Taste: Super piney. Lots of Citrus. Bitter, but well balanced by the caramel malt.

Feel: Big perfect body. Carbonation and alcohol perfectly numbs. Perfect.

Overall: Some how I always forget about Titan but I'm always very happy when I rediscover it. It really is the baseline I judge a lot of other West Coast IPA's by.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice color, stunning head - 6 inch head! Very persistent! Almost magical!

Not especially aromatic.

Taste is on the dry side of bitter - similar hop profile as Sculpin IPA, but more dry, less easy to drink. Improves significantly as it warms beyond frig temperature.

Mouthfeel is fairly awesome - very rich. Perfect carbonation - small, not too much.

Overall, an IPA with some definite high points, but I prefer a different flavor profile.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

floral, citrus very crisp ipa, nice flavor easy to drink
subtle pleasant aroma
cloudy goldish in color with very light tan head
really enjoyed it, one of the better IPAs I’ve had

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Really interesting for an IPA. Do not get me wrong, I love IPAs, but they can get kind of boring, hoppy, bitter, strong as heck...check. That's why I love them, simple.

This one is a little different starts like an imperial with a big hop taste and then has a sweet almost cream ale like finish. Very nice.

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm no sommelier when it comes to beer, I like what I like! Smell, mouthfeel and look don't matter much to me (unless either is really horrible) , it's the taste that counts!
This IPA is fairly bitter to me but I've had more bitter. I like the piney term I've seen on here, describes this beer well. I used to like IPA beer but I think I have grown out of it (I rated it one point higher in taste due to this!)
Look: Looks like a beer, foamy on the top. I don't care about the lacing and other stuff but maybe I will later if I learn more and find out that the appearance has an effect on taste, what I do care about.
Smell: Smells how it tastes, piney.
Feel: I don't care enough about this factor unless the beer 'felt' really good or really bad going down. Heh, this one feels like a beer! Less watery than the normal adjunct beers I like.
Overall: I find this IPA to taste like an IPA. More on the bitter end of beer, to my taste, but not overly so.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured as a golden color with a hint of copper. Moderate white head that left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Piney nose with some of floral notes. The taste of the hops and malt are almost perfectly balanced in this beer. The malt brings a bit of caramel to the party, while the hops are piney without being overbearingly so. It has a medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, leaving me with an almost creamy sensation.

Not the kind of IPA I typically reach for, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely buy it again.

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

#193 Beers of Fame

12 oz bottle poured into Spiegelau IPA glass. Bottled on Feb 27, 2015.

Amber colored, clear, with a fluffy head. Finally, a beer with some great lacing as it leaves rings along the side of the glass! Pine and citrus hit the nose, followed by a touch of malt sweetness. Bitter and dry finish with the pine really coming through in the flavor. Chalky, almost chewy mouthfeel. A well balanced, medium bodied India Pale Ale that doesn't overpower.

A: clear; bronze in color; 1 finger light khaki head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: pine, earthy, floral, caramel;

T: earthy for a moment; caramel comes in quickly; mid-palate is a little sweet; as the flavor fades, the earthiness and caramel are balanced; moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: very nice representation of the style;

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Pristinely clear and amber in color with creamy off white head, brilliant lacing. Piney aroma hops paired with caramel scents, but this smell has more depth in the malt profile than the normal American IPA. The taste mirrors the smell with an initial bittering hop profile followed by a full bodied and robust caramel malt flavors. The taste stays strong on the palate with fruity bittering hops in the aftertaste. Poured correctly this one has lower carbonation than most, and balances nicely with the flavors in the beer. Overall this one is quite a good brew.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours clear amber under a 1” off white clingy foam cap.
S: Fresh bread, resin, citrus.
T: Starts with bready malt with a light sweetness and then citrus, light fruit, orange, and a citrus rind bitterness.
F: Soft on the mouth with a medium body.
O: A well balanced IPA that is chocked full of flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally I like IPA's with a dominant citrus profile instead of malts like this one but it really works. So smooth with the fruit and zest more in the nose than in the taste. Very nice. Someone's was right, more pale ale than IPA.

3.61/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a copper color with almost a finger of head. Some citrus but otherwise, the flavor profile is fairly bland. The finish is not terribly hoppy either.

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Amber jade color, large carbonation bubbles, thin head leaving small lacing sticks whence consumed.
S: Predominantly malty.
M: Crisp then syrupy. Mouthfeel perhaps best attribute.
T: Definitely malt over hops on the palate. This however is not a bad thing. It is a fine brew to pickup at a Walmart where I've seen it to be one of the better craft brews in there selection. If it was between this and sweet water iPa for instance, I'd reach for the Titan.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

At first i liked this IPA. But after Having an ohio IPA, i find this a little bland and boring. More like a pale ale than an IPA if you ask me. The best part is the crisp clean slightly over carbonated mouth feel. I feel the hops are too weak making the malts more prevalent. Overall i enjoyed this brew, but i would never take it over a rhinegeist or madtree IPA or any ohio IPA for that fact.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

This was mediocre for me. Smooth, dank, piney, resinous, little carbonation, minimal lacing, no head. Slight presence of alcohol.

Will not seek out or purchase again.

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AWESOME job Great Divide...This Delicious, Hoppy, Powerful yet Smooth, IPA is at the TOP of my current favorites list. Nothing but good things to say about this GEM! I would recommend it to anyone who truly LOVES quality....REMEMBER The Titan!!!!

(Draft revisted, Barrell House 101, Ventura, 2/16/15) This one knocked my socks off back in 2012 at the Beer Authority in New York. Subsequent tastings have let me down somewhat.

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Piney and resinous start. Sweet rich maltiness with medium body. Herbacious hop character with a hint of woodiness on the finish. Fantastic flavor arch with lots of complexity and perfect harmony of flavors.

4.17/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint

A. A nice golden orange color quite opaque. 2 finger cream colored head that seems to have some nice retention. Very nice lacing.

S. Aroma is piney and sweets malts.

T. Nice banana or pear hop flavor with some pine and bitterness in the aftertaste. Very nice flavor on this IPA. Glad I picked it up.

M. Medium body. Light carbonation. Finishes slightly dry.

O. Very nice IPA. Great flavor. Looks nice. Would definitely but again.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

This beer is still a mystery to me in some ways. I've enjoyed 4 6-packs now and still have only one thought: this is a damn good beer, but it's just not memorable.

There's nothing wrong here - fantastic balance, good taste, and quite enjoyable. I just don't go nuts when I see it in the store though. This is like the smart, pretty girl next door; she's outstanding, but that last little spark of excitement that makes her 'the one' isn't there.

Definitely pick this up if you see it. But it falls just short of being elite.

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

My introduction to Great Divide. Here goes:

A: Mediocre. Nice orange-amber, but little carbonation and a small head that dissipates immediately. The beer is clear, however, and it leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle, but this may be because the beer was bottled over four months ago. Light pine, grapefruit and some caramel, the latter of these obviously from the malt. Obviously a WC IPA. However, the scents were relatively faint and subdued - I had to really stick my nose in the beer to smell it.

T: Good, but nothing special. Good mix of grapefruit, pine hops and caramel malt. Leaves a partially sweet caramel presence at the back of the palate; hops aren't that astringent.

F: Very good. Nice and sticky.

O: Solid beer, but there are better options.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Nice Amber color, half inch thick white head, with nice retention and lacing.
Smell: Aroma is flowery, and citrusy, with some light pine notes and just a light sweet malt tinge.
Taste: Piney up front, with a nice citrus flavor, and a good malt backbone.
Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, with a nice crisp dry finish.
Overall: I really like this beer, this one was pretty fresh, bottled three weeks ago, I'll definitely seek this one out again.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice Amber hue with off white creamy head. Aroma of pine, citrus, and malt. Taste piney up front and finishes off with a mild citrus sweetness, with a mild dry bitterness. Just right, not overwhelming. I definitely be drinking more of these.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

look-Pours a gorgeous amber with a nice, sticky, white head that retains nicely, a steady stream of bubbles reinforce the nice head.
Smell-Pine, hop funk, green peppercorns, light fruit
Taste-Pine and dank, hop funk in the beginning but the finish is filled with light fruit like apples, pears, and a hint of tangerine.
Feel-crisp,quite carbonated,finishes moist but not overly juicy.
overall-very impressive IPA, a nice take on the non-fruity IPA.

3.04/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Looks nice, and I've enjoyed other Great Divide beers in the past, but something feels off about this one. They must utilize some type of hops that I'm not a huge fan of. I like some IPAs, but this one is a bit too piney for my tastes. Didn't smell fantastic, either. Overall, fair. It's not disgusting, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy more.

A little disappointed.