Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

a- bottle poured into a pint, two fingers of head with nice retention, warm honey coloring with a slight haze to it.

s- nice bit of malt but mostly lemon, citrus, and some pine.

t- lemon, grapefruit (juice and pith), nice lingering bitterness, sappy, sticky pine, really tasty ipa here.

m- medium body, light in the mouth though, coating with a bit of a chew to it.

d- really nice ipa that i would definately drink again. this beer goes down a bit too easily, another wonderful beer from great divide.

thecarster1, Jul 09, 2010

Review is from notes taken on 6/29/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a nice orange/coppery color and starts with a 1/2 finger creamy finger of off-white head that fades to a full, but very uneven skim; body is just a little hazy and shows pretty strong carbonation; lots of spots and washes of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Nice bitter grapefruit hops with just a hint of sticky pine; a faint inkling of some sweet malts linger gingerly underneath all of the hops; the smell is quite robust and pours out of the glass nicely.

Taste: Tons of bitter grapefruit, pine and grassy hops and they dominate the drink; when I hold it in my mouth I can sense the faint malts -- a very solid IPA staying true to the big hop profile; as it warms, the malts linger a bit more strongly and there is a faint hint of alcohol left on the breath.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is strong and lively, but resists being sharp; gums are left tingly from all of the carbonation; body is just shy of medium weight; a thin and dry/cottony stickiness is left on the roof of the mouth and the belly is actually left a little warm.

Drinkability: Definitely a drinkable IPA that keeps the refreshing bitterness up front; not too heavy and the ABV may be a tad high for too much, but a couple certainly wouldn't be too difficult to get through. Cheers to GD for yet another great beer.

bamadog, Jul 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to prototypic for dropping this one off.

A - Pours light amber in color. It's somewhat transparent. The off-white head tops out at about two fingers. It sticks around for a couple minutes and recedes to a thick cap. Heavy lacing going on here. Looking good.

S - Leafy tobacco and grass get things going. It's followed quickly by some sweet citrus. I'm getting orange and pineapple. Cookie dough comes in midway mixed with a little bread. Alcohol is noted but not very strong. More citrus shows up on the tail end.

T - Kind of a bright hoppiness at first. Mostly fruit with hints of orange, grapefruit, and maybe some lemon. The tobacco shows up but it's very faint in the flavor. Bread profile is present midway to end. More of a raw bread dough than anything. Alcohol is warm but doesn't really get in the way at all. The orange is really persistent in the flavor, never really letting go at all.

M - Medium bodied with a medium carbonation level. Finish is lighter than I was expecting but that isn't a bad thing. Plenty of bitterness to go around but it doesn't destroy the palate.

D - Drinkability is good for the Titan. It's got all the flavors an American IPA should have and those flavors have struck a pretty nice balance. The alcohol just comes in at that sweet spot that works very well for the beer overall. Would I have another? Definitely. It's a solid brew all the way around.

csmiley, Jun 28, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Have wanted to try this for a long time. Love the brewery. Now the beer.

A beautiful rocky head that clings to the glass in chunks. Golden orange and clear body.

Surprisingly some bready, nutty notes immediately apparent with the citrus and apricot aroma. Pleasant.

Taste is very balanced and smooth. Malty sweetness with average bitterness. Hops are grassy and fresh-tasting.

The texture is very soft almost pillowy. I was expecting a little rougher texture so I don't know what to make of it except enjoyment.

The beer goes down so easy. But the memory of it lingers long afterwards. Body is medium-to-full. Not an imperial, but close. Excellent brew. I was not disappointed.

chickenflea, Jun 18, 2010

Pours a dark copper color.. With a nice 1 finger white head... Leaves a bit of lacing..

Smell: real sweet, caramel malts, citrus, pine (hops), malts overpower the nose... Also a slight booze hint..

Taste: caramel malts, sweet, citrus, grapefruit, pine, finishes bitter but not over the top.. Little to no booze presence..

Mf is light to medium carbonation with medium body..

Easy drinkability..

aval89, Jun 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Titan IPA is definitely one of the more memorable Ipa's Ive tried recently... I had my first 3 beers from great divide and I can definitely say I'm very impressed.

Pours a beautiful clear golden amber tone, nice head and good lacing.

Smells AMAZING, Nice piney hops hit you in the face...

Taste smooth and complex... perfect balance of sweetness and hoppiness.

very good mouthfeel smooth and nice bitter hop aftertaste.

I could drink it again and again.

WIN!

biggietattoos, Jun 17, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

pours a plain bubbly copper with a decent near-white head that sticks around for a bit and laces well.

aroma is mostly of citrus hops and caramel malt. pretty balanced in the aroma. not as hoppy as I had predicted, but still nice.

The hop profile is pretty heavy in bitter citrus tasting hops. not much pine or fresh-cut grass in this flavor profile. plenty of bitter grapefruit that is sweetened up a bit by the toffee and caramel malts. oily and resiny with a bit of alcohol lingering.

medium bodied with plenty of resin and bitterness left on the tongue. prickly carbonation is ample.

goes down just above average for me. a bit alcoholic, bitter, and rather sweet. I'm not too big of a fan of the hop profile and the malt profile does not help it for me, though it may work for other brews. Would really welcome more piney/grassy/earthy hops rather than this. I can see how others would like it, but its not for me.

silentjay, Jun 17, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Simple bottle, well done. Nice amber with lower amount of carbonation. Nice off white, thick and clingy head. Aroma of mild citrus. It was hard to smell. Had to stick my nose right down over the glass. Nice structured malty backbone perfectly intertwined with earthy/grapefruit citrus bite. Finishes a bit on the fruity/floral side. Rolls over the tongue a bit heavier to start but finishes clean and crips. Excellent mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

canoehornpoint, Jun 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Poured a slightly cloudy orange with half a finger of bubbly white head.

S - Bitter citrus hops with sweet caramel in the background.

T - Bitter citrus (mostly grapefruit) hops with some pine. Not much of a malt backbone at all but still a very flavourful IPA.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonated, a slight chew.

D - An excellent IPA. Definitely one that I would buy again.

TheSevenDuffs, Jun 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle dated 5/20/10. Figured one this fresh merits a review.

Poured into a SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a golden orange with amber highlights. One and a half finger of head that gives way to nice lacing throughout the glass.

S: Pine and citrus hops. Also a little sweet malt on the tip of the nose. I'm starting to enjoy the pine hops as much as I love citrus and grapefruit ones. A real pleasant aroma on this one, though not as pungent and juicy as some other IPAs.

T: Nice bitter piney hops upfront, with a light caramel malt on the aftertaste. Quite the tasty beer when fresh. Definitely an above average IPA, but not quite extraordinary.

M: Moderate carbonation and medium body. Resinous hops.

D: Very good and drinkable IPA. If you can get it this fresh, do not miss it.

kirkpjr, Jun 03, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottled May 6, 2010, less than a month old. About as fresh as I see Great Divide in these parts.

Pours crystal-clear amber with copper and ruby highlights, one-finger off white head reduces to a light cap and does leave some nice initial lacing.

Aroma is dominated by hops, primarily citrus and pine, a touch of bready malt and caramel. Good strength on the aroma, although not very complex.

Flavor starts with some pine and resinous hops and then moves to a pretty strong sweet caramel malt in the middle, some citrus in the finish along with OK bitterness, a little low for the style.

Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy, medium bodied, medium carbonation.

I've been on an IPA binge lately and I could tell immediately upon pouring Titan that this was gonna be a little different than most IPAs I've had. The darker color translates to a pretty big malt profile for the style. This is almost more like a low-ABV Double IPA than a regular IPA. Good, glad I tried it, but doubt I'll be picking up more in the future as I like my IPAs with as little malt balance as possible.

elgiacomo, Jun 02, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -24%

I am not sure why but I really do not have much to say about this beer. It is a strong amber color with a nice thick head. Flavor is a little weak and the aroma is very floral and syrupy. Personally I am not a big fan of traditional IPAs and only enjoy the stronger IIPAs and that may explain my review but I am just not that impressed by this beer. I am still very willing to try the hercules but I am not going to say more about this beer except that it is truly average in all ways.

beerhan, Jun 01, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a deep orange-amber with one finger of head that holds for a minute so

S: Brilliant citrusy hops with notes of not only grapefruit, but prominent orange peel and lemon zest as well.

T: Wow, the hops come through as strong and as complex as in the nose, with bright citrus and floral notes upfront, a little bit of toasted bread malt in the middle, and with a fairly strong hop bitterness in the finish.

This one blew me away. I just grabbed it from a friend who is usually a PBR devotee, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's certainly one of the best American IPAs I've had. Absolutely worth a try.

EJNibs, May 30, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -40%

A: light orange color

S: chocolate and pine? strange smell for an IPA

T: dirty hops pine and earthy musky flavors... I am starting to think I got a bad bottle? taste puts me off its bad, burnt chocolate or burnt malts in here?

M: light body med carbonation

D: bad taste = not drinkable

overall: I may have gotten a bad bottle its a bit old but still should not be like this it says brewed on Jan 21 2010 so less then 4 months it should hold up better then this I would think.

JamisonM, May 18, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Almost cotton candy like head. Thick but very light and lacy. Less than brilliant but appealing amber color. Smells precisely as you'd expect. There's no question at all that you are about to drink an IPA. I think typicity is a good thing. Specific esters I'm getting on the nose are grapefruit and corn.

On the palette it is surprisingly malty and far less bitter than the classic IPA nose prepares you for. Honestly, I could do with a bit less malt and a bit more flamboyance, and I'm not necc. a big hop-head. In fact, this sort of reminds me of an IPA version of Fat Tire, just a bit too chunky for it's own good.

Tasty enough, I guess, but not something that I'm drawn to.

detlefchef, May 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle dated 4.21.10 poured into a standard pint glass

A - Transparent amber, a 1/2 inch of billowing white head which shrunk back to a quarter inch relatively quickly, excellent lacing, and a fair amount of visible carbonation.

S - All pine and citrus.

T - A modestly sweet bit of malt up front is quickly joined, and perhaps overpowered, by piny hops. The finish is all citric acid - lingering grapefruit dominates the palate for minutes after the last drop. As it warms up slightly, the floral element of the hops comes into its own, which adds another level to the bitter bliss that is sipping a Titan. Wow, I love this stuff!

M - Clean, crisp, carbonated, and has some bite. Mouthfeel is perfectly as it should be.

D - IMO, this is too good to waste by having more than a couple in a row, but it could be done.

I'm a big Titan fan. Today is the first time that I've had it fresh since being in Colorado in November, so this may be hyperbole, but I think this is the best IPA being produced outside of California, Michigan, and Minnesota.

klikger, May 17, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes on 5/14/10.

A: Poured into a snifter, this beer appears the color of an autumnal rust orange with a touch of amber and is a little hazy. A 1/2 finger head disappears quickly and leaves a white film on top of the beer proper. The lacing looks like paint wildly splattered onto a wall and is sticky-icky.

S: I smell a sweet, honey-like malt aroma that is well balanced by a strong, piney and sweet citrus hop character.

T: The first thing that struck me is how evenly matched the malt and hops are. The malt lends a full honey and syrupy sweetness which is met with a crisp piney bitterness as counterpoint. I also taste orange, lemon, and lemon peel flavors from the hops. This is a fine tasting IPA.

M: This is really on the fuller bodied side for an IPA. I get a nice creamy texture which coats my palate nicely, followed by a nice drying bitterness from the hops. I would classify this mouthfeel as complex.

D: I do love me some IPA and this is one of the best I have had. I will absolutely be having more of Titan IPA. This beer hits on all aspects of the style that I love and hits on them well. Truly and well crafted brew.

TCHopCraver, May 15, 2010
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Clear, rich orange in body with floating white head. Subdued aroma of oranges, orange rind, alcohol, hop resin. Mmmm...tasty. Hop leaves, citrus notes, some hop resin, slight alcohol in the thick orange flavors. The creamy mouthfeel blends well with this strong, flavorful brew. This is a damn good IPA for any season and afternoon. The ABV hits the head, not the palate and with every sip I'm becoming a bigger fan of the Titan.

JRed, May 15, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked this up, based on what I've read a/b the Great Divide Brewing Company. I'd never tried anything from this brewery and boy, was I impressed!
A: gorgeous, rich orange, nice lacing throughout.xer
Smell and taste: bold, citrusy and piny hops throughout, but still manages to let the malt come through.
Mouthfeel: smooth, very lightly carbonated. Just a perfect match for this beer.
Extremely drinkable. I only got a single bottle this time but I'll be picking up a 6'xer next time, to be sure.

Zekezilla, May 14, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into my favorite pint glass

A - Reddish Amber color with a solid two finger head and robust lacing on the sides of the glass. The head slowly dissipates after a few moments to a thin sheen

S - Moderate hoppy and earthy tones in my glass with some fruity citrus on the nose

T- A sweet hop forward taste with a resiny bitter finish to the swallow. Well balanced beer with excellent flavor profile throughout.

M - Moderate carbonation is evident with a resiny finish to the beer.

D - Love the hop presence to this beer which is very drinkable. The 7.1% ABV is barely noticeable in this offering. Nice beer!

racer2k, May 10, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours an almost copper color with about 1 finger of firm foamy head that left a strip of lacing on the glass after each sip. Interestingly when I finished the beer the glass was perfectly striped with left over lacing.

The scent was of mostly pine, a bit floral and some citrus notes.

The taste is predominately bitter hops, some caramel malt, pine and floral notes. It would seem that the ABV would be high enough to be noticed, but I did not.

Light-bodied, smooth and creamy, moderate carbonation.

In all a pretty good IPA, very easy to drink, not really one of my favorites but I wouldn't mind having a few now and again.

BeerCon5, May 07, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Look is golden to orange, hardly any carbonation on this sample, but a good head on it.

Smell is very fresh. Hops, pine, fresh cut grass, grapefruit, apricot.
Taste is bitterness with a bite. The hops are dominant.
Mouthfeel is medium: it doesn't have too much alcohol in it. Taste doesn't linger very long either.

Overall it's great stuff.

RuudJH, May 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Served out of the bottle into a standard pint glass

a- Light gold with an amber accent just below the head. Heavy head presence which slowly dissipates leaving significant foam along glass

s- Strong piny aroma

t- Full hops presence from initial take-in and stays throughout the sip. Slight citrus hops on the finish show west coast influence. Very clean finish.

m- Very full and frothy. Slight oily texture.

d- Can go the distance on a pack on a warm night, a very enjoyable IPA.

In all, certainly a favorite of IPA's.

ThirstyFellow, May 06, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Overdue review from a few nights ago.

The color is a very bright, clear but strong coppery orange. A just off-white head is a fat 2 to 3 fingers and extremely dense. This one leaves plenty of patchy lacing clinging to the glass in its wake.
Hops are all over this one, making for a delightful fresh, raw, pungent bouquet that manages a great balance from a caramel malt presence. Pine resin, mildly sweet, earthy and floral are all aromatic notes in this one. Very nice.
The taste is to par and it's fantastic. It's like someone squeezed juice right out of a barrel of hops cones into the glass, not forgetting the nice balance of flavors attributed to the sweet malt. This one is quite complex and delicious.
This one's really nailed the creamy smoothness. This is like silk, with just a little pop from the carbonation. A rich medium to full body is to style.
There's lots of drinkability with a fairly high but not extremely high ABV. Any IPA lover will want to drink lots of these in a sitting.

Brenden, May 05, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A pretty decent American IPA; it reminds me a bit of Anchor Liberty Ale. The immediate taste is mostly bitter, not unpleasant. There's little of the grapefruit/citrus hop taste typically associated with American IPAs, but there is more subtle hoppy herbal flavor. The best part of it is the mouthfeel, which is thick and oily, something you can chew on, and there's a delicious lingering aftertaste that seems to last forever; it seemed like 30 minutes after I finished drinking this beer, I could still taste it.

I wasn't really too impressed when I first took a sip, but afterwards I found myself thinking about it, wishing I could have just a bit more...

snogglethorpe, May 05, 2010