Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- A light orange colored beer with a splotchy, thin white head that has decent lacing.

S- Cinnamon, caramel, cooked vegetables, pine, and a bit of ctirus. Good, but not exactly what I'm all about when it comes to IPA's.

T- Surprisingly bitter with some vegetable and caramel. Tastes very fresh. The caramel and citrus/pine works well together. Kind of old school.

M- Oily and bitter, but also clean and crisp. There is definitely a residual hoppiness on the tail end.

D- A crisp, oily IPA. Kind of reminds of a baby Old Ruffian.

david131, Apr 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy copper color with a thick white head that laced the glass. Nice sweet malt aromas mixed with pine, floral and citrus hops. Smells great. The sweet malt flavor in this beer is very apparent up front and in the finish. The hop flavors are pine, citrus and spicy. The finish is citrus bitterness. Very tasty, a good balance of malt and hops.

Kromes, Apr 09, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a crystal clear orange with no bubbles present. Great head with decent retention. Nice sticky globs all over the glass edge. This is a really a pretty beer. Smells of faint hops, some citrus, and a slight spiciness.

Mouthfeel is crisp and well-done. Drinkability is high due to the crisp mouth. Flavor is bitter, but unfulfilling. I sense what they are trying to do, but it lacks a little bit. The bitterness is spicy, not citrusy at all. Decent, but there are better IPAs out there.

Onenote81, Apr 08, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Clear body, decent head, carbonation

Piney hop smell, malt

Mild hop taste. Bottle says Assertive Aromatic on it. I have had quite a few more hoppy beers lately, but Ill have to take it that this beer tastes more hoppy fresh. I bought the last two of a six pack that were at my local shop which has a large selection of beers.

Pleasing mouthfeel, there is some body and alchohol to it from the higher than average abv

Pretty bitter overall. I drank this off the tap and have to say that I was much more impressed when drinking it off the tap. It tasted fresher and less aged as an IPA is usually best. Still pretty good out of the bottle though. The bitterness was definitely more intense than I remember it being out of a tap.

alpinebryant, Apr 08, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

No indication of freshness on the bottle, which might be an issue, as I'll address in a bit. A clear, crisp looking golden copper brew, reminiscent of a darkened pilsener. Creamy white head. Pretty good lacing, spotty looking.

A rather sweet nose. Biscuit malt. Hops are... few and far between, honestly. Some citrus notes, but malt is to the fore.

Malt forward, and in fact more weighted towards the malt in full than I expected (though the nose was an indication). Biscuit and some caramel. More an English IPA to my mind than an American. I feel that maybe the sixer I picked up is past its best-by date. Grassy hops make themselves known. A hint of lemon rind. Finishes with slight bittering, but some definite hop drying. A tad bit resiny.

A good bit of CO2, maintaining prickliness throughout. Pretty light bodied and easy drinking.

Good. I would say that I expecting something hoppier, but again - I'm unsure as to whether these bottles are fresh enough to give me a proper taste. I will try again in the future and update.

TheMistler, Apr 07, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Golden color, crystal clear, nice two finger head that faded bug hung around throughout. Looks a little more carbonated that a standard American IPA.

S - Nice malt smell right off the bat and then hit with and earthy smell that I don't find all that appealing, more like soil than growth.

T - Malt flavors up front, immediately followed by a strong pine hop presence. Then I get an earthy soil like flavor that I smelled and it does not do good things for the beer.

M - Good mouthfeel, the carbonation is a bit strong but not unpleasing. Smooth with a little warmth from the alcohol.

D - Bitter but not so much as to wear on you. Very drinkable if the earthiness is something you like.

steelerguy, Apr 05, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Classic IPA coloration of amberish golden

S - Not as pungent as some, but definite hop aroma

T - This is a very balanced beer. It is built on a decently malty backbone as compared to most IPA's, but there is plenty of hop presence.

M - Medium in carbonation and body

D - Definitely sessionable, one of my go to IPA's if I'm looking more for an "East Coast" or balanced IPA style.

Martin2D, Apr 02, 2009

From Notes: 1/11/09
Great Divide Brewing Co.
Titan IPA
6.8% Alc.
12oz. bottle with "8/27/08" stamp on it

Appearance= Vigorous pour into Frog & Peach pint glass yields a 1.5 finger head. Dissipates rather quickly. Not opaque. Very nice deep orange/redish color. Minimal carbonation. Wish the head was better, but hey, I always say that. ;)

Smell= Not a huge nose. Very nice smell though when I get a good whiff.

Taste= Magical. Hops, citrus. Everything is balanced very nicely. It's hoppy all the way through, not just at the start or finish.

Mouthfeel= Perfect. Not too thin, nor is it too syrupy or resiny.

Drinkability= Probably in my IPA Top 5. For me = very high drinkability.

Grabbin2nd, Apr 01, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Great Divide Titan IPA is a clear amber ale with slow-rising bubbles. It has a dense, bubbly, splotchy, yellowish head that leaves excellent lacing. The label says "BOTTLED ON: JAN 14 2005". It has a bold, hoppy aroma that's all pine and citrus. It is medium, maybe medium-full, bodied. It feels smooth and syrupy in the mouth with a slightly sticky, slightly gritty finish. It's quite bitter-- a little top-heavy with a lot of pine in the taste. It becomes sweeter toward the finish. It's pretty leafy tasting and not fruity. It's really hoppy, but not really stand-out. It's a good IPA.

yesyouam, Mar 31, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The beer pours a nice copper color with foamy, sticky head that left some remanents on the side of glass. A big floral and citrus bouquet. A slight biscuit flavor up front provides some balance to the main event, which is the hops. Floral and citrus leads to a pine finish. A dash of hop resin is left on the palate.

This is a great full flavored, hoppy, but still sessionable, brew. I really enjoy it.

BeardedBoffin, Mar 31, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottled on Dec 29, 2008.

A - Standard pint glassed. Pours a clear copper/sunset orange with a one-finger off white head. Good lacing.

S - Muted, yet very fruity, citric hops. Pineapple juice and pine needles, but not supremely overhopped like a West Coaster.

T - A nice, delicate hopping manages to battle a nice malty background... and ends up winning in the dry, slightly bitter finish. Nothing standout, but a good offering. Kinda boozy on the way down, which doesn't work incredibly well.

M - Good all around. Medium carbonation and medium thickness.

D - Not the most drinkable IPA, but not a slouch. Worth trying, but I'm not revisiting it.

Notes: I had higher hopes for this brew.

SaucyA, Mar 30, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

An orange color with a nice head that sticks around for awhile. Piney hop smell, makes you want to dive right in and when you do it is good. All juicy and hop like with a good caramel backbone to the whole experience. Easily drinkable and refreshing. Some really hoppy IPAs I almost need a water after having them it's almsot like they dry your mouth out, but not this one. 2/2 with me liking Great Divide so I am eager to search out Yeti and other treats they may have. Very good IPA

SwiftyMcBeer, Mar 28, 2009

12oz bottle. Bottled on jan 14 2009

App: What seems to me to be true amber. Off white head with some of the prettiest lacing I've seen.

Smell: A balance of hops and malt. Sweet, biscuity malt. Sour apple hop smell. Bitterness comes through on the scent and I can't wait to taste. Not as welcoming as others. Some ipas' scents just stop you dead in your tracks and ask you to dive right in! This was just a friendly invitation. I like the former, so I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Taste: Hard to describe, but tastes like an ipa should. The hops give it a floral sweetness upfront and finish with a nice level of bitterness. A neutral (meaning not great or not awful) bitterness lingers on the palate for a while after. As it warms the flavor mellows: the hops step back and let the sweeter malt step up. Still something lacking in the flavor for me, hence the 4.5.

Nice full mouthfeel that's not sickening like some can be. Feels like a meal in a glass but in a good way. Carbonation is perfect. I could drink many of these if not for the 6.8% kick.

Great IPA. Still deciding how it ranks for me.

Now let's see how it goes with food...

emsroth, Mar 25, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Slightly burnt orange in color, with a wet head which decent retention. An unusually high amount of little particles suspended in the beer.

Hops jump out of the aroma, as if I were smelling a bottle of pine and floral infused hop perfume. Very enticing.

Taste is a hop-lovers paradise. Very fresh and juicy. There's some caramel malt in there, too--just enough, though.

Very smooth mouthfeel, and extremely refreshing. Lives up to its name.

wescj, Mar 25, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

American IPA's are certainly not a rare breed, and it really isn't all that difficult to find really good ones. Great Divide's Titan is another in a long line of very bitter and tasty brews of this style.

Pours clearer than many IPAs but is very thick and sticky. Very nice lacing off of the big bony head. Less in the nose than I would prefer, I really love IPAs that just overflow with aroma, but this one doesn't. There is a sweetness in there, perhaps carmel along with some flowerbed floral smells. Much more in the flavor however, citrus and pine. It achieves that good kind of bitterness that we all are looking for. Very bitter, but so filled with other flavors that compliment the bitterness that it is very pleasant. Thick and creamy as I mentioned, almost coats the mouth like a stout, leaving a nice smooth bitterness that lingers.

Its good, OK?

joshuadlight, Mar 24, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer a few years ago in a bottle, and hadn't tried it since. Found it on tap and thought I'd give it a go-- so glad I did!

Loved the up-front hops and sweet malt that balanced out the flavor. This is an IPA that is very easy to drink-- smooth!

I enjoyed it so much on tap that I bought a six pack. The beer had been bottled just a couple of months ago, and tasted very similar to the tap version. I was pleasantly surprised after reviewing a bottle in 2006 that I wasn't so crazy about!

IPALOVER, Mar 22, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A: deep golden with a one finger foamy white head, which leaves some nice lacing. moderate carb

S: pine. lots of it. citrus is there but mild. some sweet malt aromas also

T: pine sap, caramel and a bit of citrus. this also has a woody/oak presence

M: medium body, nicely bitter and crisp carb

D: A new favorite. wish I had more...right now

Rainintheface, Mar 21, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Well Im going to tackle my fear of IPA's. Well not really fear but you know, just I prefer my malty beers. I actually had have a couple sips of this beer at a bar(my friend ordered it). Alright well here it goes.

This pours a dark yellow/with some orange in it. Frothy two finger off white head that leaves soapy lacing behind.

Smells like an IPA. Honey, lemon drops, sweet syrupy smell, floral notes with a hint of spices coming in at the end.

This is not bad, not bad at all. Actually this is good, refreshing, I cant believe my eyes. Lets go back in time. The last time I had an IPA(well besides Celebration Ale)was the first time I really ventured off into Craft Beer. I mixed a six and did not know what an IPA was, or any other style whatsoever. One of the beers I picked up was "BIG EYE" and it was the first one I drank out of the six. Man my virgin palate got knocked the fuck out. Alright well on to the review.

Taste is of honey, sweet syrupy sugar, bread like maltiness, lemon, grapefruit, oranges;. Man this is fucking good, I cant believe it. I definitely need to start drinking more of this style.

Mouth feel is medium bodied, covers your whole palate with sweet stickiness of flavors.

The alcohol percentage is not that high, and this is a fairly cheap beer, so drinkability is very high for me. Yummy!!!

GO OUT AND TRY THIS BEER

tr4nc3d, Mar 21, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a big 3 finger off white head. Golden orange in color with some bubbles floating up. Head retention is good and lacing is very good

Smells mostly of citrus and pine hops. There is also some sweetness im assuming is from the malt and a trace of alcohol

Taste is of slightly bitter hops. Piny herb taste definitely lingers for awhile, malt is very faint.

Mouth feel is light and smooth. Nice balance of carbonation, inside of mouth is left with a semi numbing coating of hops

Over all , highly drinkable IPA, not too much of a hop bomb. 7% alcohol is hidden nice and will sneak up on you. Not a big fan of IPAs but i would buy this beer again

angelmonster, Mar 20, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

On-tap at the GD tap room 3/19/09

A: Golden with a foamy head. Thick lacning.

S: Vegetal, earthy hops with a touch of pine. Nice complexity.

T: Complex hop taste with citrus, pine, and earthy flavors. It's all there combining to form a great hop profile with a moderate bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with very light carbonation. Extremely smooth.

D: Tasty and a solid beer in every category.

klewis, Mar 20, 2009

Picked up as part of Great Divides sampler pack.

A: Pale copper color with a slight chill haze. The fluffy white starts out big, has decent retention, and leaves behind a good amount of intricate lace.

S: Citrus and floral smells predominate, with a hint of oak and pine.

T: Lots and lots of citrus hops come on right away. Grapefruit and lemon are the most notable flavors. Malt has a subtle sweetness that breaks through underneath all those hops. Finishes with a nice lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body feels a bit oily. Carbonation level is a touch high.

D: A really nice IPA. The bottled version seemed a bit sweeter than on-tap. But that might be due to my warmer serving temp.

Rayek, Mar 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy amber color, with a finger of creamy offwhite foam.. Decent head retention and leaves sheets of lacing on the glass. Nose is of strong citrus hops - mostly grapefruit, some spices are detectable.
Taste is dominated by the citrus hops - very bitter upfront, but with a solid malt backbone. There is a bit of a dry bitter finish to it. Medium bodied and slightly high carbonation.
This was a great IPA - one to sit with for a session.

Jayli, Mar 16, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

From notes...
On tap at The Tiedhouse, the pint glass comes to rest rest directly in front of a votive candle, with a dark slate bar as a backdrop. So admittedly appearance can be heavily influenced by the environment in which a beer is judged, but the illuminated rust/honey colored brew before me is just gorgeous. Its cloudy & bubbly w/ a soapy head.

Smells like white flour & bread-ey yeast. Heavy on the malts, banana bread, backed by some warming bitter hops. Is this keg a bit aged??

After tasting this I am more suspicious that this beer is aged. A bready, biscuity blast on my tongue in the front; a hint of pine needle bitterness enters into the middle, and then finishes with a tart apple twist. Still, I am being swallowed by mealy sweetness with each sip. Eventually a small bitter pool accumulates in the corners of my mouth, but at the cost of a lot of sloppy, malty syrup. Its reminiscent of a hopped up amber. Not what I was seeking out.

MF is a big plus - very well carbonated. frolicking around on my tongue.

Still, I am sated at just one.

Philabeerphia, Mar 15, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a nice copper brown with a light-tan head that settles rather quickly but has some nice lacing as you sip it.

Smell is not typical of most Ipa's. Instead of hops and citrus, I'm detecting some earthy and nutty tones and well as whiffs of malts and alcohol.

Taste is nicely balanced with the hops and malts blending together with the earthy flavor of this Ipa. It almost seems like it was briefly aged in oak barrels.

Mouthfeel is slightly chewy with lingering earthy notes.

Morey's Bottom Line: Not my favorite Ipa, but certainly tasty and unique. I would definitely buy this again.

Morey, Mar 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Pours a golden amber with a nice one inch head and heavy lacing.

S- I pick up earthy tones, some citrus and definite hops.

T- This is a great tasting brew. It has some citrus upfront, perhaps orange and grapefruit. Then the hops take over with a nice bitterness, and it finishes with the same hoppy flavor. It's somewhat dry at the end but in a refreshing way

M- Medium bodied with lively carbonation.

D- This is a great example of an IPA. It is well balanced between the sweet citrus at the beginning and the strong hops in the middle and end. This is an easy drinking beer and one that all hop lovers should try.

mizzourah, Mar 13, 2009