Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a pubglass.

Nice color. Amber-ruby tinted pale. Thick white head is attractive but small while leaving a thick but non clinging lace. Low to medium flocculating yeast is characterized by moderate sediment. No large floaties but a haze of hop oils and smaller yeast groupings.

Smell is of intense citric hops, both sweet and tart. Not an explosion of aroma but coming from a single IPA I am very impressed. Aromas of honey and biscuit are subtle but not hard to pick out.

I must say that I believe this to be one of the best examples of a west coast style American IPAs I've had. A bready malt backbone with just traces of dark fruits sweeten the obvious taste of the California yeast. And then the hops. Oh, the hops. A beautiful combo of the sweet, the sour and the smooth. Not hugely puckering but grapefruit and lime are very present and add a smoother side to the metallic taste of many west coast styles. The malt carries through the whole way, making it's way from subtle to not so subtle over many minutes creating much depth to this beer.

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Medium-high carbonation with a slightly chewy side as well. Pretty dynamic.

The well balanced malt character and the florals aiding the the intense bittering makes this incredibly easy to drink.

cookin420, Mar 29, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this at a beer festival, so my notes weren't terribly detailed. I'm not sure how the appearance or smell were, so I've just entered them as average. This was very hoppy with mostly a citrus flavor and a bit of hops for some balance. The texture was excellent, not too thick or thin. Overall it's a great IPA for sipping but not super easy to drink.

Pencible, Mar 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: light copper, slight haze, big layer of spongey off-white foam, great head retention, lace

Aroma: syrupy maltiness, piney/citrusy hops, sultanas

Flavor: chewy malt and citrus bitterness at the same time; piney hop flavor with a grapefruit rind aftertaste; finishes dryish with a lingering smooth bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, light carbonation, smooth texture

Other comments: A nice, ballsy hoppiness without being too aggressive. Really smooth and scrumptious.

GreenCard, Mar 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I purchased a 12 oz bottle with a freshness date on the back of the label.

A - Upon the pour I realized that this beer had a ton of yeast sediment in the bottle which is somewhat unappetizing however it can't hurt you so drink up. The head on this beer reminds me of a lemon merangue pie it's so thick and foamy. I like to sport a full beard and often beer head fills my mustache. I couldn't wait long enough for it to settle so too bad mustache. The beer pours amber-orange.

S - The first aroma I am greeted with is fresh pine sap. The hops are very pronounced in this manner, I also smell strong notes of citrus, mainly grapefruit and orange zest. I like this beer alot because it isn't as perfumey as IPA's like Southern Tier's Unearthly. The fact that it doesn't have that characteristic aroma adds to this beers drinkability.

T - Greeted with the typical bitter hoppy taste. Its very well balanced and a few sips later it is very desirable. The piney hops add alot of characteristic to this beer.

M - Somewhat watery from what i would expect however very light and easy to palate.

D - This beer is very good, not overly aromatic or bitter. Very well balanced and I could deffinetly drink a few of these.

ams0286, Mar 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into standard pub glass after 1/2 hour in fridge. Has a clear reddish copper color and an ample and robust head, with a slight tint. The liquid fights its way up and the head subsides only slightly, just enough to make room for the rest of the bottle's contents.

A good whiff of the head reveals the wonderful smell hops, of course. I think I can smell citrus, too.

First taste is gotten by digging through the foam to the liquid below. Very good. I taste the hops but it's not overpowering, the near perfect balance for me. There are other subtle flavors, but again very smooth and balanced.

10 minutes after the pour the glass is half gone, but a 3/4 inch head remains, almost like a flavor guard. The top half of the glass is spattered with lacy whisps of little bubbles.

When the first glass is gone I know I made a good choice. This is a very good beer for someone who loves hops but doesn't want to be overpowered. I really liked it.

travloh, Mar 24, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Copper body... clear.. moderate carbonation... medium off white head that slowly fades with lots of lace.

S: Citrus and pine hops are strong in the beginning... only a hint of malt sweetness

T: The hops are profound... deliciously citric and piney... there is quite a bit going on here... but is slightly out of balance... even for me a big hops lover, the malt background is just too distant and hidden

M: Crisp. Refreshing. Invigorating.

D: Just a touch out of balance... ill stick with a hopdevil when i want an easier to drink hop overload.

callmemickey, Mar 14, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Amber hazy body with lots of "bits" in suspension. Nice white head that leaves beind a sticky lace.

S - Initially I smell peaches and cider. That gives way to a piney-citrus hop aroma.

T - At first I get a yeast bready flavor. This quickly subsides into the hops. A grassy and piney flavor take over the tastebuds. A little sweet in the aftertaste.

M - The CO2 and bitterness are prickly on the tongue. The body is medium which suits this beer very well.

D - This IPA is pretty balanced thus making it drinkable. There are some complex flavor profiles working on this one making me want to go back for more.

hops4me, Mar 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up yesterday at the Whole foods here in Cary. I was looking for an IPA I hadn't tried and this fit the bill. Color is a burnt orange upon the pour with respectable head leaving behind impressive gobs of sticky lace. Nose is predictably heavy on the pine and citrus without being overbearing, which is nice.

Plenty of hop action rules the taste, particularly piney bitterness. A bit of balance is apparent at the end but you still know what you're getting here. Texture is brisk and a little stiff but fits the style well.

What you see is what you get. This is an easy drinking but very flavorful IPA that hopheads will (and clearly already have) flock to.

daliandragon, Mar 03, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

This beer is for anyone who loves the nice bitterness and exceptional aroma of hops hops HOPS.

A- Nice Copper color, very clean in appearance. Tiny persistent bubbles of carbonation rise slowly as you enjoy this beer. Medium, fluffy head slowly gives way leaving spiderweb decor along the inside of the glass, still some head retention all the way down.

S- HOPS! Like living in a log cabin made of fresh cut pines, almost citrus-y. Bitter in the nose as well as on the palate, but pleasant and floral. No scent of sweetness at all.

T-See above. Detect a very very slight malt backbone, more like a wishbone. This is one of the best Hop-lovers beers I've ever had. I almost feel guilty drinking it given the current Hop shortage. Oh, wait, no I don't.

M- Smooth, quick, and cleansing. Leaves a pleasant freshness after it goes down. Freshness lasts and lasts. No detection of alcohol whatsoever.

D- This beer is very drinkable. Hop lovers again, gather around this one and share a glass or two I'm telling you. MultiMillion-Dollar Conglomerate Giant Corporate Brewing Companies? The Great Divide has bottled your fears and sold them under the title "Titan IPA."

Experimentacious, Mar 02, 2008

Another review from the bar on my Blackberry

A- Bright and clear golden color. Head is 1" and rocky. It is also long lasting and leaves thick sheets all the way down my glass.

S- Smells of honey and citrusy plus floral hops.

T- Clean, but hoppy too. Tastes are dead on the nose with the same hops and honey-like backbone.

M- Oily feel and medium thickness in the mouth. Carbonation is high.

D- Very high. Easy drinker for a relatively high ABV IPA.

Overall- Loved it. It was my first beer from Great Divide, and I guarantee it will not be my last.

MMAJYK, Mar 02, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very vibrant amber/copper color with good clarity. A three finger off white head forms and lingers with nice retention. Some nice lacing as well.

The aroma has a nice hoppy profile showing great piney notes and citrus as well. A subtle malt sweetness is also present in the nose.

The taste holds good citrus notes and a decent bitterness. A good malt backbone adds to the flavor. The malting is slightly hay like adding almost a bite familiar to that of rye.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lively carbonation tingle.

Drinkability is fairly high. Flavor is great, and although the alcohol is moderately high it goes undetected. A nice IPA. I'm really glad I revisited this one because I've been let down a lot lately by other beers.

Goliath, Feb 25, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14%

A: Slightly carbonated with an amber/light colour. Nice head on it too. It's about 1-1.5 centimeters in height in my English pint glass.

S: To my surprise it has a bit of a malty smell to it. I get a bit of fruits coming out with each smell too.

T: The taste of this is quite remarkable; first you have the bite of the carbonation, then the great hop flavour hit your tongues, and finally there is a slight malty flavour. However, the hops stay on your tongue. This is very balanced, and great.

M: It has a slight bite when one takes a drink, but after that it's quite smooth and has a relaxing feel to it.

D: For a 6.8% beer this is incredibly drinkable. I have to stop myself from taking drinks. I'd definitely have another!

Serving Type: Bottle in English pint glass.

swizzlenuts, Feb 24, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Rich honey pour in a tulip with a great fragrant sweet citrusy hop aroma. Nice mix of caramel sweetness with grapefruity scents. Taste was very hoppy overall, and above average hopping for an IPA I'd say. Nice citrusy flavors again, with big grapefruit juice like flavor, and a citrus rind like bitter finish. Perhaps a touch above my ideal bitterness level, but this is still a fantastic IPA and one I'd like to have again.

JDV, Feb 24, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Had sampled Great Divide products on my last trip out West but hadn't seen them in many Boston area locales. Was pleasantly surprised to find it two nights in a row at local area watering holes.

I've always been a fan of IPAs but have been tiring of some of the locals (Harpoon, Smuttynose) so I was excited to try something new. Had a couple of the Titan IPAs and I found that the taste kept growing on me with each sip. Great looking beer and had a great hoppy bite to it that is the IPA trademark. Finished smooth for an IPA and left a great aftertaste. Will definitely keep an eye out for other Great Divide products in the Boston area.

danehycr, Feb 22, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Wow. I didn't really expect this beer to be THIS good. One of the best beers I've EVER had.

Appearance: Pours golden amber colored with an off white lasting head. Laces nicely as you drink it.

Smell: Smells of Citrus hops. Wonderful aroma.

Taste: Sweet malts are balanced with citrusy hops with an apricot flavor. Fantastic beer. I really would like to know the hop schedule so I can replicate it

Mouthfeel: Silky smoooth, medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I was really taken aback on the exceptional flavor of this beer. I have tried their fresh hop pale ale (A great beer in its own) but this one was just fantastic. I really can't stop raving about this beer. Great divide makes some excellent brews!

Squelch, Feb 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a rocky tan head. The aroma is hoppy but the malty sweetness is perceptible. The taste is malty with a strong hop presence. Nice balance for an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy. Overall, this is an easy drinking IPA that I would recommend.

barefootbrewer, Feb 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very good solid IPA. Appearence amber in color mediem white head leaving a nice lace on the way down. Smell was a bit citric maby grapfruit. Taste was about the same gapefruit bitterness developing later on leaving a nice aftertaste inticing the next sip. Mouthfeel mediem body mediem carbonation. Drinkability I could place this in my top 10 IPA's.

BeerTaster, Feb 14, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a clear orange amber with a minimal creme head that leaves nice lacing on the way down. A peachy citric nose is strong with some added perfume tones. I really like it. Flavor carries a noticeable citrus hop profile that stays dominant in the back of the mouth as fleeting tones of fruit ride in a quick wave over the tip of my tongue. Feel has a smooth liquid touch and the carbonation bites a bit. A very easy drinking IPA. Well balanced but very flavorful. A pleasure!

RblWthACoz, Feb 11, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14%

The model IPA.

Pours a copper, amber color. Head dissipates pretty quickly. A lot of lacing on the glass. A good amount of sedidment as well.

Smells of biscuits, fruit, pine, and alcohol.

Taste is absolutely outstanding. Slightly bitter taste that is quickly offset by the malt. Very well balanced.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. Very tasty and drinkable. Yet another outstanding Great Divide brew.

jdubjacket, Feb 10, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

After sampling Yeti's Oak-aged Imperial Stout, I took a great liking to the Great Divide brewing Co... their Titan IPA is hands-down one of the best American IPA's that I have ever sampled... pours a wonderful amber, copper appearance with an impressive frothy and foamy head that lingered on... smell is top of the line for an IPA... grainy, with caramel, in-your-face hops, and other great aromas... taste strongly complemented the flavor, with a strong suggestion of fresh hops, vanilla, caramel, bread and butter, and a bittersweet aftertaste... in terms of flavor, this is probably the ultimate depiction of an amazing IPA... wonderfully rich, creamy, fresh, and full of pure, uncloying flavors that stick to the mouth... excellent mouthfeel with a superb drinkability that goes down crisp, clean and smooth with a pleasing bitter finish that is not overbearing and does not disappoint... Great Divide did really well with this one, and this particular IPA sample is certaily above and beyond... if you are a fan of the style, this is a must-try... Definitely recommended...

dsa7783, Jan 31, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

MaltFrazier came through with this... once again, good look MALT!

A- Pours golden honey in color.... very clear yet with a small ammount of sediment. Nice frothy head and nice lacing.

S- Piny hop oil... a little citrus on the nose as well.... light cookie malt

T- VERY strong hops... mostly piny, but some citrus stops by for a quick cameo as well.... the malt is hard to decipher from all the hops, but you know its there by how it balances things out in the aftertaste. WOW.

M- Oily on the palate... nice bite on the tongue... perfect ammount of carbonation

D- Very good IPA... this goes above and beyond most others in the style. Flavorful till the last drop!

SirSaranac, Jan 28, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A-clear golden straw, 1 finger of decent holding white foam, films of lacing

S- pine and crisp malt

T- crsip graham cracker-like malts and citric hops throughout, honey-like sweetness to malts, toasted malts, earthy hops with a strong citrus finish

M- coarse body with a sticky finish and after

D- great American IPA, with delicious hop and malts flavorings, highly recommended

tonistruth, Jan 26, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mahogany color with a bunch of sediment. Nice sticky head of 2 fingers that leaves some lacing and remains as a cap throughout the beer's duration.

Aroma is surprisingly malty, with big caramel notes.

Flavor is also malty, inappropriately so if you ask me. The major notes here are caramel and honey flavors from the malt, with very little hoppiness. What hops there are are not bitter, but sweet and grapefruity.

Nothing wrong with mouthfeel here. Maybe a bit sticky.

Very easy to drink but I was expecting a nice dose of bitterness and I didn't find it here.

illidurit, Jan 25, 2008

A- pours yellow,then turns copper. Lots of dense head. looks like I'll have to wait to pour the rest into my pint glass...Really white head. Looks good and leaves a little, tight lace on the glass.

S- can smell the citrus hops right away. Can pick up the piney hops too. Nicely balanced. I think more piney than citrus.

T- Defiantly more piney. Tastes more piney that citrus but still hoppy

M- What you'd expect from an IPA. A good bitterness but fades leaving you wanting more. Medium-light mouthfeel. would like a smoother mothfeel.

D- Too bitter to drink too many, but mellows with warmth.

Tolann, Jan 24, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

This is a really great beer, I can't believe that it took me this long to try it. I have drinking the Hercules for a long time, but for no good reason I just passed this one up. It is a delicious, very well crafted IPA. Streamrunner originally recommended this to me, but I just got around to trying it. Thanks Matt, I am raising this glass to you!

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Man, this beer looks good. It is completely transparent and has a honey gold color. It produced a solid two finger fine-textured white head that slowly dissipated to a thin crown. It left a ton of thick lacing on the way down.

Smell - Resinous hops. I can detect citrus, mainly grapefruit, and pine. There is a hint of pineapple juice in the scent as well. I smell a blend of crackery and sweet caramel-like malts. It makes my mouth water.

Taste - Fantastic. I can taste the malts first, crackery and caramelly, which provides a sweetness before the hops come in and slap them aside. It gets bitter, fast. The hops are delicious - very resinous and piney with the citrus coming in a close second. It has a nice bitter finish that just makes me want to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light bodied. It has enough carbonation to keep me interested. It helps to cut through the bitterness of the beer. Having just a bit more carbonation wouldn't hurt it.

Drinkability - Awesome. This is a great IPA. The smell and taste just make me want to keep drinking. This is now my second favorite locally available IPA, right behind the Stone IPA. Great Divide has rarely let me down, and this is another amazing beer in their line-up. Good stuff.

MiguelMandingo, Jan 23, 2008