Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,705 | Reviews: 1,408
4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottled on Date: Jan 11, 2010
Drink on date: March 2, 2010

I love this beer. Easily in my top 3 when its fresh.

Although this is not the freshest bottle ever, ive had it about a week after it was bottled so i know how it is when its stellar fresh and my scores will reflect that. (its like an orgasm for your mouth)

Appearance and Smell - a few shades short of a pale amber mixed with honey. Head is nearly white with very pretty lacing. The staying power of hte head is a great indicator of how hoppy this beer is, it stayed all the way to the bottom of the glass. Smells like nice citrusy hops with a little sweetness on the end but still almost all hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel - HOPS! Tasty citrusy hops, grapefruity with a little sweetness in the middle and a nice bitter finish that holds to the next draw. Mouthfeel is right on for an IPA. The carbonation is a little low but i knocked a lot of it out with my straight down the middle pour.

Drinkability - Perfect. I LOVE this beer and would drink it all day if i didnt value my liver.

Notes - an exceptional brew from an exceptional brewer, well done GD.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Bought a sixtel of this for my Home Bar, love Great Divide Beers and this one I had not sampled.

Amazing citrus aroma caught my nose, hoppy no doubt.

The head coated my stein like a good beer should, easy to drink, smooth and delicious.

Not an overpowering IPA, it was just right!

Great Divide puts out A+ quality brews!

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Bright clear copper color with a thin head. The head disappears quickly but leaves a nice lacing.

S - Strong pine and a nice balance malt. A very different smelling IPA.

T - Follows the smell. Strong malt presence with good caramel sweetness, and finishes with some piney notes. Bold and smokey as well. Hops, in my opinion, play in the background. Very nicely balanced.

M - Medium bodied with a nice strong feel.

D - A good and different IPA. I actually really struggle to taste a significant difference between this and their Hercules. GD does a good IPA!

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Pours a big voluminous off white head that is nice because it stops expanding when you stop pouring. Good active carbonation inside a light amber/dark golden beer. That head sticks at about 3.5 fingers and leaves a nice lacing. It's a little big, but better big than small.

S: HUGE orange and grapefruit rind citrus. Very full and sharp smelling, and eventually it developes into something more piney and rounder, but still. I get a bit of a mild caramelly malt, but mostly hops. Too much hops really.

T: And that continues in the taste. All hops, no malt backbone at all. And that's still a problem. This is too much hops for it's britches. It is more citrus throughout than the nose and while that's interesting, it's just not for me.

M: Medium bodies cut back by the bitterness of the hops, good for an IPA

D: Drinkable when you want a real slap in the face with hops, not an everyday for me.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Drank on: 2/24/10
Bottled on: 1/7/10
7.1% ABV
12 oz. in pint glass

A= 1/8" off-white head receeded to leave a nice thin covering of foam continuously supplied by lots of tiny bubbles. Head remained until last sip. Clear golden-orange beer. Looks delicious.

S= Cut pine and citrus aromas along with hints of floral notes.

T= Big just like the label says. Citrus, resin and herbal hop flavors. Absolutely delicious! Subtle malt backbone laden with tons of hop flavor.

MF= Dank hop bitterness which leaves a heavy mouth coating that melts away after a moment of hesitation taking almost all of the linger hop bitterness away. Nice warmth.

D= This is one to put you down for the count after luring you back for one to many rounds. Could be delicous trouble.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip. Copper body with a dense creamy head coating the glass with lace.

Leafy pine in the nose with a hint of caramel sweetness in the back.

The taste is similar to the nose with the leafy piney hops up front followed by sweet esters. Hops linger at the back of the taste. The sweetness doesn't completely balance out the pine but does enough to make this a great American IPA. Wish there was more citrus bitterness in this one.

Medium bodied with good carbonation. Feels dry as it moves across the mouth... very refreshing.

Overall a very refreshing brew. Very smooth drinking although the ABV puts some restraint on how many I could have in a sitting.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottled on November 13, 2009

Titan pours a clear coppery amber with flashy orange highlights and a big creamy off white head that becomes craggy leaving nice swaths of lacing in it's wake.

The aroma is very malty on the caramel side, but has as distinct and pleasant citrusy hops presence as well, mostly of orange with a bit of pine.

The flavor has the nice malt backbone noted in the aroma, with the touch of caramel with piney and citrusy hops, it seems malt forward but the hops provide a pleasant resin and orange bitterness to the finish. Seems a touch buttery as well.

The mouthfeel is medium and very creamy and smooth. Very nice!

Not the beer I expected, being much more balanced rather than hop forward. Very good, balanced and drinkable however and I'm very interested in trying this fresher than three months old. Recomended!

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured at fridge temp. into my Sam Adams glass. A hard pour fills my glass to the rim with a perfectly clear orange colored brew, with an off-white sudsy head of considerable size and retention. Lots of lacing provides eye candy. A beautiful beer to look at in the glass. This one has a "bottled on" date of Dec. 7, 2009, so its still within that good 3 month window.

The nose is not huge, but defintely citrus in nature. Big grapefruit, with a lighter tangerine in the background. Adequate nose to pique the interest of a hop head.

Flavor is close to the nose, in that the citrus hops are right up front and in your face. There is a mild caramel malt backbone upon which this hop fest rests, and its appreciated for balance. However, that said, the hops are where the action is in this brew, and as I quaff, I'm enjoying grapefruit and hints of tangerine and orange ... then more grapefruit. Carbonation isn't too extreme, giving a nice medium full mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there for me. This is not too hoppy and not too alcoholic for me to consider it a nice session brew (ymmv).

I had a bad experience with a Great Divide brew years ago, when I bought a bomber that was definitely well past its prime. To their credit, Great Divide made things right when I emailed them, and sent me a t-shirt. This Titan IPA completes the cycle of restoring my faith in Great Divide as one of Colorado's best brewers.

Na Zdravje!

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Source: Tanakaya

Appearance: quite clear, I can see right through the glass. Deep yellow color perhaps 9SRM, after a hard pour got about half a glass of head. Lacing it taking on a coral type patern and holding on to the glass steadily. Looks to be fairly low carbonation.

Smell: A inciting blend of pine and grapefruit, with overpowering the other.

Taste: The dominant flavor is that of spicy, piny grapefruit bitterness. The malt is there but really hiding behind the hops. The finish is not quite harsh, but leaves those same hop tastes have coated my mouth. Not a super complicated taste but the matching of the spicy pine hops to the citrus ones is well displayed, and in a slightly more restrained way than some American IPAs

Mouthfeel: Slightly heaver, and far soother than I would have expected. Nice and fluffy, like a hop pillow.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer. The slight complexity of the hops, coupled with the solid balance, excellent mouth feel, and general well roundness of this beer really have gotten to me.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A - clear and gold with a 1/2 finger head that lasts. good lacing.

S - piney fragrant, deep citrusy notes, mild fruitiness in the background. A floral quality, maybe?

T - obviously hoppy but what I notice more is something broad and malty before a crisp finish. A nice hoppy bite on the outer edges of the tongue. Refreshing. Full flavor. Rich.

M - I'm not very good at this so my best estimation is to describe the body as somewhere that lies just a thread before medium without being thin.

D - started drinking this six minutes ago and I'm almost done. Great drinkability.

Okay, so I think I'm a "malthead" but this leaves me uncertain. This is the kind of beer that will see rotation in my fridge AND I'd tell my friends about this. This IPA is hot!

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured amber in color with a fluffy white head on top. It had decent head retention and left very good lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a good amount of piny hops present with a little malt sweetness in the background. The taste is hoppy but it also has a decent sweet malt backbone to it. The hops seem to show more of the pine character then they do the citrus. The malt sweetness also displays a little caramel to it which is a nice balance to the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it had some good flavors and went down easy but I wouldn't say it's high on my list of favorite IPA's. Overall I found it a pretty average IPA, it was decent but not something that really wowed me.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've seen this ale in my local beer shop for about a year but i hadn't gotten around to trying it. Whilst traveling last month I picked up a bottle of the Great Divide Fresh Hop and was very impressed. So, upon my return to RI I picked up a six of this lovely IPA. This is the lesson I've learned: Read BA, Trust BA, Drink as BAers do.
This IPA hits all the tics of a good Double IPA but with a little less alcohol, great hop / citrus aroma, nice appearance with a full thick head and of course that winning hop taste. The followup has a good thickness and just the right amount of bitters.
This will definitely be a regular purchase on my part along with Harpoon Imperial IPA, Dogfish 90 and Stone Ruination.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

It pours a medium body dark yellowish color. Its head quickly disappears to a small layer of foam. The smell is of sweet citrus hops and a caramel malty sweet smell. It has a very potent smell. Taste begins with a sweet citrus grapefruit hop flavor that moves on to a bitterer hop taste. The hop taste is balanced by a nutty caramel rich malty flavor. This malty flavor quickly surrenders to the terrific bitter finish. Again the bitter finish is a little citrusy and it is also piney. It has a nice carbination which is not fizzy but is not very low.

Overall a nice hop forward IPA with a nice malt background.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

Poured into my pint glass. Pours a crystal clear golden color with a crazy thick white heading that stays fluffy and thick to the bitter end. Lacing and Legs are crawling all over the place amazing and alive looking.

As soon as the cap was popped an extremely hoppy fruitiness jumped out of the bottle. A sweet citrus blast hits you a mile a minute.

Taste is sublime. Hoppy at first is then replaced by a sweet fruitiness somewhere in the middle. Malts do kick in slightly but does not pull through more then just a glimpse. Then the bitterness turns the palate entirely green. Heavy,heavy linger of hop in the aftertaste.

Mouth is a lighter to mid bodied beverage. Excellent carbonation. Smooth and crisp and finishes clean and green.

Drink is good. A little lighter than anticipated but is no lightweight with it's ridiculous hoppiness and 7.1% ABV. Great stuff a hopheads wet dream.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy, golden amber-orange with an eggshell soda-like head.

S: Light floral hops with a citrus note, probably grapefruit. Overall a sweet character with an earthy undertone.

T: Slightly watery, refreshingly smooth body with piney hops, caramel and grapefruit peel. Light lemon hints throughout bring excellent refreshment. A touch bitter in the finish.

D: A sixer candidate for sure.

Value: Good value for a pretty nice example of an IPA and one of Great Divide's more accessible brews.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I recently came across a new store in Brookline Village called Brookline Fine Wine & Gourmet which has an awesome selection of amazing beers. My first stop in there I picked up a 6 pack of this Titan IPA and a 6 pack of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA (all of which are excellent). When I got home, I enjoyed the Titan in a pint glass. The beer poured a large fluffy off-white head that left a nice even lace all around the glass. The beer is a very crisp amber color with a basic juicy IPA scent. Pine hops and citrus notes are the most noticeable in this brew. A very sweet and sticky IPA. To be honest, this is one of the best IPAs I have ever tried. I put it up there with Stone IPA. Light to moderate carbonation and a nice bitter after taste make this a very drinkable IPA. If this beer was a little bit cheaper, this would be my go to IPA. A must try for IPA fans!

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer pours a hazy orange-brown hue, with two fingers of chunky, foamy off-white head, which leaves some cirrus-like lace around the glass as it fades from sight. It smells of biscuit and caramel malt, and some understated orange citrus and pine hops. The taste is mild citrus hops, and a blend of more predominant biscuit and caramel malts. The carbonation is mild, the body medium weight, and sugary smooth, with a light floral, bitter citrus hops finish.

Not as hoppy or bitter as I was expecting, but decently flavoured, and balanced.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%

From the bottle

A -amber in color with a hint of red. nice tight 1" head. Stayed together, you can make a peak. good rings of lace as I sip in down

S - very faint hop not much else

T - sweet start with a nice light bitter finish. tastes a little oxidized but overall pretty good. I was expecting a little more.

M - medium to thin, carbonation is tight but disapates really fast.

D - nicely balanced flavor and easily drinkable

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottled on November 10,2009. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a typical orangeish-amber color, with a fluffy, rocky off-white head that had very good retention and surprisingly low lacing.

A piney hop aroma greets the nose. There is a touch of malt sweetness in the background. The flavors are very similar to the aromas, mostly pine hops, with some citrus and floral notes, supported by a bit of malt.

The body was typical for this style. Drinkability suffered a touch due to the 7% ABV, if drinking a beer of that strength I ecpect more and bolder flavors to go with it.

Overall a decent IPA that I'll have again and is worth your time.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

I just picked this Titan IPA in a mix-a-six. 12oz bottle poured into a DFH pint glass.

A: A cloudy light copper/amber color and a nice 1/2in head that had great retention and stayed around about an 1/8in. Some great lacing.

S: Piney hops up front. The hops are the only thing that is coming thru.

T: A nice hopped up taste, not too bitter but a great a balance.

M: Not watery medium bodied.

D: Great beer. I really enjoyed this, wish I got more. I look forward to trying more Great Divide Beers.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

According to label: bottled on 12/16/2009. Enjoyed on 2/4/2010. $2.00 for a 12 oz. Pour was a bit weak, I was expecting a bit more head and only got less than one finger. Straw colored with nice lacing and minimal visible carbonation.

Aroma is total piney hops. It smelled like it would be refreshing. Also, a hint of citrus and malt.

Flavor is also major hops, pine with some citrus- as an IPA should be. Flavor profile was very similar to aroma. No suprises.

Mouthfeel is nice, slightly thicker than expected. Very sly on the ABV. Very drinkable. The 7.1% ABV would surely sneak up on me.

Overall, a very good IPA.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

I have a soft spot for Titan IPA and the brewery that produces it. Great Divide doesn't dissapoint very often, if ever, and this beer is no exception.

Beer has a nice, clean amber color with little head.

You may notice Titan has barely noticeable smell when you raise your nose to the glass. What you can detect is a slight hop aroma with some caramel malt but its under-pronounced.

Tastes much stronger than the smell. Biscuity and malty- which is odd as it is an IPA. The finish is bitter though and you can detect some alcohol- it is over 7% ABV after all. Its very balanced though which reminds me more of an East-Coast style IPA which puts more of an emphasis on a balanced India Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel is very nice- just my style. Not too thin, not too thick and carbonated well.

The beer is drinkeable although the alcohol is too evident for me to want to down a bunch of them.

Regardless this beer is very good. It tastes like Great Divide Hercules's baby brother, and it basically is.

12 oz. bottle from John's Marketplace PDX served 2.1.10 into Barley Brown pint glass.

Clear amber body, two finger white rocky head, medium-slow dissipation with nice lacing. Significant spicy hop hit in the nose, a bit of bready malts. Nice citrusy taste profile, a bit of sweetish malts for balance. Nicely carbonated, dry finish, not too bitter. Quite drinkable despite ABV. A real winner, definitely worth seeking out. One of the better Colorado IPAs.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

A-Pours a light amber with a one finger off white head that hangs around for a bit and leaves decent lacing.

S-Pine and floral hops are at the forefront with citrus and malt notes. Smells very good.

T-Mirrors the nose. Pine & floral hops with some citrus and malt. A nice bitter bite, but not overly so.

M-Medium body, carbonation is crisp. A bit chewy for an IPA. I like it.

D-A very drinkable IPA. More than one of these is certainly doable.

A very respectable job from Great Divide.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured into the Sam Adams prefect pint glass.

A - Pours a nice clear light bright copper color with a thin .5 inch head. The beer is very translucent. The head is off white and recedes to a thin film with some nice sticky lacing.

S - Very nice. Good strong piney character with some hints of cocoa butter and vanilla. Smells like Christmas. Pine sap and some more coca butter.

T - Strong malt presence with good caramel sweetness and hints of vanilla. Piney notes overwhelm the tongue with nice sap character. More reminiscent of a East Coast IPA than a West Coast. Very attractive and bold almost roasted/smoked flavors. In terms of hops. The beer is full of them. Bitter and sticky around the mouth. Very nice and attractive bitterness and dryness.

M - Medium bodied with a nice strong feel. Nice CO2 and well balanced creamy body as well.

D - Good beer. GD always impresses.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company