Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz of piney, oily, citrusy, hoppy goodness here... This was a terrific IPA.

From the deep yellow color topped with a thick frothy head to the pungent piney hoppy aroma wafting out of my DFH pint glass, this brew satisfied all the way around. It is loaded with pine/citrus hops and has a sticky oily mouthfeel but in no way is unbalanced. Great Divide is without a doubt one of the best breweries in America. Everything they put out is delicious and this is no different. Awesome IPA..

Tilley4, May 11, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottled on the 3rd week of Jan '08. Pours a light copper color with some hints of straw. Impressive head that is fluffy and full of mounds, really good staying power. Good carbonation, nice lacing. Smells of resinous citrus hops, really nice. Those oily, resinous hops dominate the palate. Nice amount of malty sweetness balances it out quite well. Good mouthfeel. Finishes with a good bite of pine. Aftertaste is real nice, lingers for a while. Really good IPA.

timbro81, May 09, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Clear copper orange with a nice big, dense head. Lots of gigantic floaties in this one.

S - Heavy pine and floral and fruity notes. Cotton candy.

T - Lots of hops, apple and alcohol in this. Fruity. Sweet. Hoppy. Boozy. Very bitter aftertaste.

M - Slick, slightly oily feel. Carbonation is brisk, and body medium.

D - Not bad. Serviceable IPA. Feels a bit rough, but lots of flavour.

allergictomacros, May 03, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

This is some beer. It was an orange to amber color with a thick white head and plenty of lacing. Piney aroma, with a little citrus. Faint malt presence. It tasted of pine and grapefruit, but was not terribly hoppy; I think the malt balanced it out. Nice resinous mouthfeel. Great beer.

lordofthewiens, Apr 30, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Evidently, there is no hop shortage at Great Divide. This is one sticky, resinous beer. It pours a pretty orange color with a sticky, chunky white head. More piney than citrusy, the smell is a mixture of sharp hop aromas and sweet malt. It's definately a hoppy-tasting beer, but the massive quantities of sticky malt bring it back into line. It's only 4/5 of a percent more in ABV than DFH60, but it feels like a much bigger beer. Thickish mouthfeel, sticky hop resins all over the place, and a prickly aftertaste that lets you know you've just drank a big beer.
It's a nice IPA. And bigger tasting than the numbers indicate. Maybe this is a Lite Imperial IPA?

DaveFL1976, Apr 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this on tap at Moan and Dove. Golden-orange appearance and even some amber hints. Pretty good lacing eventually. Sharp citrus aromas help give this a really good sour smell. Good sour-sweet balance going on here with hints of florals, citrus and hops. Crisp carbonation helped quench my thirst on a very hot night. Overall, great IPA.

fitzy84, Apr 25, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

This breweries beers were recommended to me by BA ColoradoBobs, cheers John.

355ml Brown bottle bought in Borough Market, London. Don't ask how much I paid, it makes me cry.

Poured into a Bateman's half pint tumbler glass two and half times).

Very excited to be let out the bottle, it filled my glass with half beer, half a slighty off-white foaming head. The liquid was a dull, old gold colour and a little cloudy come misty, with plenty of bubbles hurtling to replenish the head.

The aroma was fairly sweet to my nose, hops, but with candyfloss too. It got less sweet as it warmed, a more citrus twang appeared alongside the hops.

A taste that is a lot hoppier than what I am used too, but not so overpowering it knocked my socks off. Just a very heavy presence of the noble hop.

The second pour obviously had a lot of the sediment within it, so cloudier, lumpier and hopier.

The final dregs contained all the stuff that helps to keep you regular. I'm not the sort of bloke who leaves much (beer or food) but remind me to pour this beer in one go next time we meet!

I'd never have guessed it was a 6.8% brew, but it has a lasting flavour (of hops) and I could easily get used to it, if it was cheaper in the UK. All in all a pleasant experience, good stuff.

BlackHaddock, Apr 22, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a little head retention.

Smell: Very citrusy. A little bit of a grassy/piney aroma as well.

Taste: The hops take a little time to punch your palate, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Hop presence includes notes of pine and earthiness- don't notice a lot of citrus. The aftertaste is warm, slightly astringent, and lingers for a little too long.

Mouthfeel: Is smooth with that familiar hoppy slickness.

Drinkability: Hopheads may want a few of these. ABV is manageable.

Overall: Just a tad disappointed. Expecting a little more from reading the other reviews. The taste is good, but the aftertaste is a bit annoying. Average IMO.

coalcracker, Apr 20, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Jhawkinmo for giving me the chance to try this beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

Apperance- Golden copper color, with a good head (very dense bubbles) and good retention. Also good lacing

Smell- I got a mild hops smell from this one

Taset,Mouthfeel- Bitter hops in the front with a clean finish, medium to high carb as the bubbles tingled on my tounge enhancing the bitterness. Medium body

Drinkability- Good drinkable beer, would recommend this one to IPA lovers.

johnnyirishman, Apr 10, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a semi cloudy copper/orange color. A white fluffy and creamy head forms with just a touch of lace as the head recedes.
S: Citrus fruits and hops up front. Very typical for an American IPA. Buttery, biscuity, and nutty malt aroma. A complex malt profile for the style that I really enjoy.
T: Lots of hops. Grapefruit, citrus flavor. A cloying sweetness with a decent malt backbone. Plenty of hop bitterness though.
M/D: Average. Farly dry and slick in the mouth. The bitterness makes this hard for me to drink and session (like most IPA's for me I guess).

Not bad at all for the style, but it is not my favorite. I enjoy this beer, but not crazy about the style in general. If American IPA's are for you though, this is a most try.

champ103, Apr 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a very foamy golden, as expected. I also expected a powerful punch of hops from a beer named Titan IPA, but was pleasantly surprised. The expected whack of bitterness was replaced with a buttery smoothness. Hops, yes, but not a powerful hops flavor, followed up by a butter-caramel taste that lingered. I was surprised, almost in shock, from the pleasant understated taste. This is a definite keeper on my short list of outstanding IPA's.

bjoyce12, Apr 07, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I had a cask-conditioned Titan IPA tonight at the Falling Rock in Denver, it was delicious.
Color, it was golden, with a slight Amber hue.
There was a great hop aroma, grapefruit. The hops were huge at first taste, but were slightly balanced out by a malty sweetness in the background.

BrewmasterNPB, Apr 06, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Golden with chunky white head that lasts. Superior lacing.

Grapefruit, orange, pine, caramel, and some sugary aromas.

Sweet upfront. Lots of soft caramel and toffee flavors. Much like Hercules this is a malt forward IPA. The hops are floral, orangey, and piney. The finish is mildly bitter and a little heavy.

Mouthfeel is medium to big. I think Titan is a good IPA but I'm not sure if I am impressed with it or not. This is a very soft and sweet IPA, nothing harsh or in your face. Give it a try.

bosco7, Apr 06, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A- A nice, slightly hazy light gold/straw color. A nice amount of head on this one with a great amount of lacing.

S- I could easily pick up the citrus hops right away. I could also pick up some grapefruit and pine.

T- Very nice! A great balance of hops and citrus flavours here.

M- Just like I'd expect from an IPA.

D- Very drinkable and overall great flavour on this one.

nrbw23, Mar 31, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a mid amber color with nice foamy head.

S: An IPA that smells like an IPA! All right! Hop tones are citrusy and a tad soapy. Do I smell cantaloupe in there?

T: First comes a dry / chalky hop bitterness that is followed by a nice malty rinse-off. Very Floral.

MF: Nice body.

D: Good drinkability. I like this beer very much. Very good for style.

This beer was featured in a "Sweet 16 of American Beers" in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. This was the overall champ, so I thought I had to try it. I think they picked a winner, though the piece was a little heavy on APAs (though the champ was not).

MerkinMan, Mar 30, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a pubglass.

Nice color. Amber-ruby tinted pale. Thick white head is attractive but small while leaving a thick but non clinging lace. Low to medium flocculating yeast is characterized by moderate sediment. No large floaties but a haze of hop oils and smaller yeast groupings.

Smell is of intense citric hops, both sweet and tart. Not an explosion of aroma but coming from a single IPA I am very impressed. Aromas of honey and biscuit are subtle but not hard to pick out.

I must say that I believe this to be one of the best examples of a west coast style American IPAs I've had. A bready malt backbone with just traces of dark fruits sweeten the obvious taste of the California yeast. And then the hops. Oh, the hops. A beautiful combo of the sweet, the sour and the smooth. Not hugely puckering but grapefruit and lime are very present and add a smoother side to the metallic taste of many west coast styles. The malt carries through the whole way, making it's way from subtle to not so subtle over many minutes creating much depth to this beer.

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Medium-high carbonation with a slightly chewy side as well. Pretty dynamic.

The well balanced malt character and the florals aiding the the intense bittering makes this incredibly easy to drink.

cookin420, Mar 29, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this at a beer festival, so my notes weren't terribly detailed. I'm not sure how the appearance or smell were, so I've just entered them as average. This was very hoppy with mostly a citrus flavor and a bit of hops for some balance. The texture was excellent, not too thick or thin. Overall it's a great IPA for sipping but not super easy to drink.

Pencible, Mar 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: light copper, slight haze, big layer of spongey off-white foam, great head retention, lace

Aroma: syrupy maltiness, piney/citrusy hops, sultanas

Flavor: chewy malt and citrus bitterness at the same time; piney hop flavor with a grapefruit rind aftertaste; finishes dryish with a lingering smooth bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, light carbonation, smooth texture

Other comments: A nice, ballsy hoppiness without being too aggressive. Really smooth and scrumptious.

GreenCard, Mar 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I purchased a 12 oz bottle with a freshness date on the back of the label.

A - Upon the pour I realized that this beer had a ton of yeast sediment in the bottle which is somewhat unappetizing however it can't hurt you so drink up. The head on this beer reminds me of a lemon merangue pie it's so thick and foamy. I like to sport a full beard and often beer head fills my mustache. I couldn't wait long enough for it to settle so too bad mustache. The beer pours amber-orange.

S - The first aroma I am greeted with is fresh pine sap. The hops are very pronounced in this manner, I also smell strong notes of citrus, mainly grapefruit and orange zest. I like this beer alot because it isn't as perfumey as IPA's like Southern Tier's Unearthly. The fact that it doesn't have that characteristic aroma adds to this beers drinkability.

T - Greeted with the typical bitter hoppy taste. Its very well balanced and a few sips later it is very desirable. The piney hops add alot of characteristic to this beer.

M - Somewhat watery from what i would expect however very light and easy to palate.

D - This beer is very good, not overly aromatic or bitter. Very well balanced and I could deffinetly drink a few of these.

ams0286, Mar 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into standard pub glass after 1/2 hour in fridge. Has a clear reddish copper color and an ample and robust head, with a slight tint. The liquid fights its way up and the head subsides only slightly, just enough to make room for the rest of the bottle's contents.

A good whiff of the head reveals the wonderful smell hops, of course. I think I can smell citrus, too.

First taste is gotten by digging through the foam to the liquid below. Very good. I taste the hops but it's not overpowering, the near perfect balance for me. There are other subtle flavors, but again very smooth and balanced.

10 minutes after the pour the glass is half gone, but a 3/4 inch head remains, almost like a flavor guard. The top half of the glass is spattered with lacy whisps of little bubbles.

When the first glass is gone I know I made a good choice. This is a very good beer for someone who loves hops but doesn't want to be overpowered. I really liked it.

travloh, Mar 24, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Copper body... clear.. moderate carbonation... medium off white head that slowly fades with lots of lace.

S: Citrus and pine hops are strong in the beginning... only a hint of malt sweetness

T: The hops are profound... deliciously citric and piney... there is quite a bit going on here... but is slightly out of balance... even for me a big hops lover, the malt background is just too distant and hidden

M: Crisp. Refreshing. Invigorating.

D: Just a touch out of balance... ill stick with a hopdevil when i want an easier to drink hop overload.

callmemickey, Mar 14, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Amber hazy body with lots of "bits" in suspension. Nice white head that leaves beind a sticky lace.

S - Initially I smell peaches and cider. That gives way to a piney-citrus hop aroma.

T - At first I get a yeast bready flavor. This quickly subsides into the hops. A grassy and piney flavor take over the tastebuds. A little sweet in the aftertaste.

M - The CO2 and bitterness are prickly on the tongue. The body is medium which suits this beer very well.

D - This IPA is pretty balanced thus making it drinkable. There are some complex flavor profiles working on this one making me want to go back for more.

hops4me, Mar 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up yesterday at the Whole foods here in Cary. I was looking for an IPA I hadn't tried and this fit the bill. Color is a burnt orange upon the pour with respectable head leaving behind impressive gobs of sticky lace. Nose is predictably heavy on the pine and citrus without being overbearing, which is nice.

Plenty of hop action rules the taste, particularly piney bitterness. A bit of balance is apparent at the end but you still know what you're getting here. Texture is brisk and a little stiff but fits the style well.

What you see is what you get. This is an easy drinking but very flavorful IPA that hopheads will (and clearly already have) flock to.

daliandragon, Mar 03, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

This beer is for anyone who loves the nice bitterness and exceptional aroma of hops hops HOPS.

A- Nice Copper color, very clean in appearance. Tiny persistent bubbles of carbonation rise slowly as you enjoy this beer. Medium, fluffy head slowly gives way leaving spiderweb decor along the inside of the glass, still some head retention all the way down.

S- HOPS! Like living in a log cabin made of fresh cut pines, almost citrus-y. Bitter in the nose as well as on the palate, but pleasant and floral. No scent of sweetness at all.

T-See above. Detect a very very slight malt backbone, more like a wishbone. This is one of the best Hop-lovers beers I've ever had. I almost feel guilty drinking it given the current Hop shortage. Oh, wait, no I don't.

M- Smooth, quick, and cleansing. Leaves a pleasant freshness after it goes down. Freshness lasts and lasts. No detection of alcohol whatsoever.

D- This beer is very drinkable. Hop lovers again, gather around this one and share a glass or two I'm telling you. MultiMillion-Dollar Conglomerate Giant Corporate Brewing Companies? The Great Divide has bottled your fears and sold them under the title "Titan IPA."

Experimentacious, Mar 02, 2008

Another review from the bar on my Blackberry

A- Bright and clear golden color. Head is 1" and rocky. It is also long lasting and leaves thick sheets all the way down my glass.

S- Smells of honey and citrusy plus floral hops.

T- Clean, but hoppy too. Tastes are dead on the nose with the same hops and honey-like backbone.

M- Oily feel and medium thickness in the mouth. Carbonation is high.

D- Very high. Easy drinker for a relatively high ABV IPA.

Overall- Loved it. It was my first beer from Great Divide, and I guarantee it will not be my last.

MMAJYK, Mar 02, 2008