Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours out a really clear weak ice tea color with two fingers of off-white suds. Decent lacing around the tulip glass.
Smell is kind of soapy with just a hint of piney hops.Slight caramel sweetness detected also.
Taste is a little washy at first but the dark hops come out in the aftertaste. Not much sugar. Nice bitter mouthfeel and your mouth dries out quickly.
Probably a better drinking beer but I really like the mouthfeel on this one.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

I was surprised by how tasty this beer was. I had seen it on the shelves for months and never thought to try it out, and honestly only picked up a six because I wanted to try something new and didn't want to get the same old same old.

I opened it up and was surprised by the strong hoppy aroma. Pours well and was a little darker than I would have though, almost looks like a double IPA. I poured into a red wine goblet and allowed it to settle before trying a sip.

The hops come through but it doesn't have an overpowering taste ans it is very drinkable. I will say that as good as this was, I am bummed I didn't grab the double IPA, because it must be amazing.

This makes me happy to go to Colorado on business later this month.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

I really love this beer. Honey, amber color, with an barely offwhite soft foamy head. Lacing hanging all around. Citrusy, resiny, hop goodness in the nose. The flavor keeps kicking my ass. Perfect. It's hard not to gulp. This is a beer you don't want to end. Smooth, medium bodied. Crisp and refreshing. One of the best IPAs available.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A bit more color than most IPAs I've had. A deep gold, slightly orange. Head is about average. Retention could be a bit better. Lots of flaky yeast sediment.

Aroma is very nice, with some definite sweet malty notes, and, of course, hops. A bit of yeast on the nose as well.

The flavor is excellent, with a bit more balancing sweetness than many IPAs. Herbal and citric hops dominate, with honey and spice lurking in the background. Lime juice.

The bitterness / sweetness balance is just perfect. Not as much one dimensional bitterness as many, but plenty of piney hops.

Carbonation is just right, and the full bodied mouthfeel is great.

Bitterness dominates the long finish.

I really like this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: A nice semi-clear orange/copper color pours into the glass and sits with a quarter inch head with decent lacing.

Smell: Citrus hops jump out but quickly followed by sweet, almost candy smelling, malts. A slight earthiness backs up the sweetness.

Taste: Hops are in the forefront but the sweetness gives this IPA a different taste than most others. The grapefruit and pine are there but accompanied by other fruits such as apple and banana. All this combined with the earthy background that the smell promised makes for a very unique taste. Hop bitterness finishes it all off and makes me want another sip.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than I would expect, not quite as crisp as some IPA's, feels good going down. For some reason, even though this is 6.8% ABV I feel like the alcohol is highly detectable.

Drinkability: I probably wouldn't go through a whole six pack in a night but it is flavorful enough to drink a few in a row.

Overall: Interesing IPA from Great Divide. I really enjoy some of there products, such as Yeti imperial stout, but I think I would only buy this IPA if I was in a certain mood. I don't know what kind of hops they use but that might have something to do with it, also the sweetness. All in all though, a solid IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

A. I could swear I see a green tint from the hops in the creamy , rocky tan head that would not go away ! Great lacing.

S. Classic hops. Good piney, citrusy hops.

T. Big hops up front, malt backbone with a finish of big hops that last !

M. Very Smooth with a great hops taste.

D. This is definitely my favorite IPA so far, and I have had all the big boys !!

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with a nice label explaining the specifics of the beer.

Appearance: Nice dark gold beer with low carbonation and nice lasting/foamy ivory head.

Smell: Sharp, simple piney and citrusy hops

Taste: Nice woodsy/piney hops up front, balanced very nicely by a light caramel/salty toffee presence.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and a bit slick

Drinkability: High

Conclusion: This is a very tasty IPA with good drinkability; it's almost sessionable but for the abv%...it's nothing special in that the flavors aren't remarkably complex, but it's perfectly-balanced and quite enjoyable.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

I'm looking at this attractive light amber beer capped by a generous snow-white head but I'm getting hit with the hops from a foot away! Let's move on.

Hops jump out right away with a pine and pumelo one-two punch and a fresh, "green" scent, as if freshly picked. As skillfully presented as the hops are, the malt is what gets me. Earthy and slightly sweet, it provides a solid foundation from which the main ingredient builds upon. Impressive.

Pungent, pine flavor permeates the palate with the aforementioned sweet malt kiss to finish. Bitterness is really ratcheted up on the back end and lingers into a surprisingly buiscuit-y aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is staggering for something this heavily hopped; light, spritzy and not at all sticky from the hop resin. Since the hops are so bitter and don't trend towards the sometimes building cloying nature of citrusy varietals, this is an IPA that makes for a great sessionable beer if you're in the mood. Excellent.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

Reviewed 4/20/2006 (750mL bottle):

Pours a big foamy head, big bubbles, slightly off-white. Appearance of semi-cloudy amber red-brown color. Moderately weak aroma of hops. Hoppy piney dry taste, bitter to start, but sort of mellows out, slight malty taste.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a golden amber in color with about a finger of off white head that exhibits decent retention. Aroma is pretty good. Lots of piney/resiny/citrus hops with a nice malty sweetness. Taste is pretty good with solid piney/resiny/citrus hop flavors. Solidly bitter but not overwhelmingly so. A bit of malt sweetness cuts through the hops and provides a bit of balance. Good mouthfeel with medium-light body and moderate carbonation. Drinkability is quite good. Fairly well balanced (although this particular bottle may not be the freshest example). Overall, easy to drink and quite enjoyable.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Purchased a 12 oz bottle as part of a Make Your Own 6 Pack at Total Wine in Columbia, SC.

Poured a lovely orange with a big, thick, foamy white head. I always love it when the head peaks out a little bit over the lip of the glass. Smelled a good bit of citrus, like some pineapple/orange/grapefruit/tangerine and some pine. The taste matched the smell. Some soft bitterness. Nothing overwhelming, and unbelievably smooth considering the bitterness. Fantastic balance, very smooth, easy to drink. This is a phenomenal beer. This bottle was my first, and absolutely won't be my last.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle into nonic. Bottled on 11/04/08.

Ultra thick three finger khaki head that settles to a thick bubbly cap, leaving behind a solid wall of lacing.

Very aromatic hop aromas. A little bit of citrus and some herbal notes. The malts add a little bit of a bready background.

The first flavor that came to mind with the first sip was pineapple. Some of that very sweet, citrusy, yet tart fruit flavor that I love in my IPAs. The malts are very subtle behind the hops, giving a slight toasty flavor. Full bodied.

A very sold IPA, always been one of my favorites, even as one of the first IPAs I tried. Recommended.

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up during Chirstmas week at our beer exchange. Bottle says it was born third week of April? Poured into my Troeg's standard pint glass and got zero head and no residual lacing at all. The color is fairly standard for the style - a cloudy orange brown. I really think this beer was way best it's best date.

Smell was some citrus and bread with a whiff of hops.

Taste was ok but again nothing special.

Mouthfeel was decent but a little thin.

Drinkability at this ABV is just fair.

From other BA reiviews I expected much more from this brew. I'd like to get a fresh bottle and give it a second chance, but barring that, I would say this is a less than sterling example of the style.

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

One of the better IPA's I've had.

This combines a biscuit like malt backbone with juicy flavorful hops.

On the aroma there is a lot of citrus and pine and even some grassy notes....but what makes it even more special is the nice biscuit like malt notes that are evident as well.

The taste is close to the aroma....the hops lead the way with fresh squeezed oranges, and tangerines...pine notes are there too (subtle enough though)...but again it is the tasty biscuity maltiness that blends in and makes this special.

Medium bodied...finishes dry....has some "good" bitterness on the finish but the hops in general add a flavorful element.

If I had to guess I'd pick Amarillo or Simcoe or both as hops in this one but again to me the reason this beer works is two-fold....#1-Those wonderful hops that exhibit a juicy, flavorful and somewhat bitter feel and #2-the biscuity malt backbone that blends perfectly.

If I had this near me I would but this a lot....a lot...

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Your take on this beer, even more so than most, will be highly dependent on personal taste. You need to be a true hophead to truly appreciate this beer. It is one of the bitterest beers I have tasted. The bitterness is sustained from the first sip to the last aftertaste. If you are looking for a potent IPA, then this is for you. However, if you are looking for some balance out of an IPA, then look elsewhere-the malt does not stand a chance here.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Reviewed on 9/20/08. Bottle courtesy of sloth. Pours a clear orange with a thick, foamy white head. Aroma of bitter piney and citrusy hops. Flavor of a hint of pine, but mostly citrusy. A little on the bitter side but still quite tasty and drinkable.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Clear copper in color with a nice off white head leaving a good amount of lacing.

S - Hops. Pine, floral and citrus with a maltly aroma in the background.

T - Delicious. Juicy piney hops with a mild citrus undertone and a secondary malt sweetness that is overshadowed by the bitterness. A good balance, but I do like imbalanced IPAs best.

M - Medium bodied and smooth.

D - Very easy drinking. I would definitely be willing to stick with this one for awhile.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

I bought a case of Titan IPA [with the new package design] at the Beeryard yesterday for Christmas.

This beer is becoming scarce in SEPA..everyone loves it and fresh cases are snatched up fast around here.

Anyway it pours a clear gold/orange..typical to style, with fresh spongy foam and incredible lacing. Aroma is of piney hops, canned pineapple, peach and melon.

Taste is slow to unfold. First we have notes of: oily hop resin, booziness, a maltiness [more rich than most IPA's, but certainly not Hopdevil-rich], then a drying on the tongue forms a semi long lasting bitterness, which is good..but then there is this unfortunate twinge of metallic canned pineapple/sour grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Tiny bit of harshness associated with this case of Titan, even sourness, something I don't previously remember experiencing when I had this before on tap [many times]. I also do not remember this taste existing in the previous case I purchased, which was about 4 months ago.

I am not going to rate this beer down due to one instance of inconsistency [either on Great Divide's behalf, or more likely due to my palate's memory being off lol] but I will be more wary of Titan from this point forward. Its still a great IPA from an outstanding brewery..one of my faves. Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a clear light orange with thin lacing.

S - A soft hop aroma but is kinda flat without much of a fruity nose.

T - A semi-complex, hop forward IPA that starts off a bit hoppy, transitions to a subtle sweet malt middle with slight fruity notes and ends with a clean hop finish. There is a nice balance to this IPA

M - Medium to light body with medium carbonation

D - A decent IPA... However, after looking at my feet... my socks are still on. Would drink again if available, but I wouldn't choose this one over other IPA's

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was hesitant to try this one for a while... I don't know why, but as soon as a fellow hop loving friend of mine suggested this one, I tried it. And the verdict... I love it. It is now one of my very favorite IPAs to by that comes in a six pack. There's only a few that I turn to when I'm being indesicive, and now this is one.

It pours a beautiful golden color with a touch of amber in it. Rises to the top is a slightly off white head that gives this great aroma of flowery hops and a hint... just a hint of citrus hops.

I taste notes of oranges or grapefruit with a great soft bitterness that compliments very well.

The major plus to an IPA is always the smoothness of it. There is no harshness to this beer at all. Nice lingering bitterness in the end.

Medium bodied and creamy.

Very drikable. Having 65 IBUs and smooth at the same time takes skill... and Great Divide has a brewmaster that has that skill. Thank you guys at GDBC. The Lord bless the hop harvest.

3.66/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown color. Lots of carbonation, with a strong half inch dark white head. The beer must be bottle conditioned as I find lots of yeast floating inside.

S - A fruity, piney, and floral nose. Strong aroma hops. Overall, not as potent as some of the other IPAs I've had.

T - Starts off with a sweet barley combined with a roast from special malts. Does develop some bitterness mid-stream. Not much for hop on the palette. Finishes with a nutty sweet profile. A malt forward IPA. Is a bit bitter on the aftertaste.

M - Strong body - lots of unfermentables in here. There are some oily notes left behind from the hop profile. Not much carbonation bite.

D - Not overly filling - although I do find it leaves behind some filling feelings. ABV is becoming somewhat noticeable.

Reminds me alot of a 60 minute from DFH. Worth a shot - but I'd probably go there instead.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a healthy and active foamy head. Dies down but remains foamy on top. Nice golden color a lively carb. The smell is wonderful, nice to stick your nose in to. The taste is creamy with very little bitterness for an IPA, mellow yet very sweet too. Wonderful beer with a reasonable price, recommended.

Jk

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance - Pours a yeast-flecked copper with a slight head. Great lacing along the glass. Moderate carbonation. 4
Smell - A relatively weak aroma predominantly featuring pine and hops. 3
Taste - Pleasing malty notes and breadiness along with strong, piney hops flavor and a bitter finish. 4
Mouthfeel - Smooth with plenty of carbonation. 4
Drinkability - This beer is unexpectedly easy to drink. One could drink several of these in a short timeframe and not be sick of the beer. 5
Overall - A very good beer that has excellent lacing and drinkability. Definitely check this out for yourself.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours out a deceptive copper, I can't tell if it's dark and cloudy or bright and clear. Every time I try to pin it down, different angles and amounts of light give it a different look. It's definitely pretty though, with a moderately thick, off-whitish head. Decent retention. Appearance reminds me of some of the better IPAs or DIPA's I've had. Looks good but not great.

Smell is obviously hoppy. I have a feeling I should let this warm up quite a bit. It smells good, but on a cold December night, pulling this out of the fridge, it feels like it's too cold. ... Waiting a while definitely opened it up as I thought it would. Like a pineapple in a ceder tree Titan IPA is piney citrus in a big way. Better than the looks, I think the nose is a solid 4.5.

Full body taste, wonderfully thick. This is above average, good stuff. Just as the looks reminded me of the likes of 90 minute IPA, the taste is also pretty big, close to a double or imperial. As the label advertises, this is certainly an aggressively-hopped ale. But there is also the solid malt backbone delivering an amazing overall taste sensation. It's delicious but not entirely unique. So it's not a perfect 5, but it's damn good. I'd get it again. I have not been let down by Great Divide yet!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured an awesome copper into the glass with a pillow of white head that retains well and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. This smells like a pine hops in a bottle. Very prominent hops smell, floral and piney.

Tastes just like it smells, I think it's a little too piney for my taste, although I have bought it more than once, so something tells me I don't hate it.Mouthfeel is excellent with perfect carbonation with clean aftertaste.

This is an excellent IPA!!!

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company