Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

This beer is for anyone who loves the nice bitterness and exceptional aroma of hops hops HOPS.

A- Nice Copper color, very clean in appearance. Tiny persistent bubbles of carbonation rise slowly as you enjoy this beer. Medium, fluffy head slowly gives way leaving spiderweb decor along the inside of the glass, still some head retention all the way down.

S- HOPS! Like living in a log cabin made of fresh cut pines, almost citrus-y. Bitter in the nose as well as on the palate, but pleasant and floral. No scent of sweetness at all.

T-See above. Detect a very very slight malt backbone, more like a wishbone. This is one of the best Hop-lovers beers I've ever had. I almost feel guilty drinking it given the current Hop shortage. Oh, wait, no I don't.

M- Smooth, quick, and cleansing. Leaves a pleasant freshness after it goes down. Freshness lasts and lasts. No detection of alcohol whatsoever.

D- This beer is very drinkable. Hop lovers again, gather around this one and share a glass or two I'm telling you. MultiMillion-Dollar Conglomerate Giant Corporate Brewing Companies? The Great Divide has bottled your fears and sold them under the title "Titan IPA."

Experimentacious, Mar 02, 2008

Another review from the bar on my Blackberry

A- Bright and clear golden color. Head is 1" and rocky. It is also long lasting and leaves thick sheets all the way down my glass.

S- Smells of honey and citrusy plus floral hops.

T- Clean, but hoppy too. Tastes are dead on the nose with the same hops and honey-like backbone.

M- Oily feel and medium thickness in the mouth. Carbonation is high.

D- Very high. Easy drinker for a relatively high ABV IPA.

Overall- Loved it. It was my first beer from Great Divide, and I guarantee it will not be my last.

MMAJYK, Mar 02, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very vibrant amber/copper color with good clarity. A three finger off white head forms and lingers with nice retention. Some nice lacing as well.

The aroma has a nice hoppy profile showing great piney notes and citrus as well. A subtle malt sweetness is also present in the nose.

The taste holds good citrus notes and a decent bitterness. A good malt backbone adds to the flavor. The malting is slightly hay like adding almost a bite familiar to that of rye.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lively carbonation tingle.

Drinkability is fairly high. Flavor is great, and although the alcohol is moderately high it goes undetected. A nice IPA. I'm really glad I revisited this one because I've been let down a lot lately by other beers.

Goliath, Feb 25, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14%

A: Slightly carbonated with an amber/light colour. Nice head on it too. It's about 1-1.5 centimeters in height in my English pint glass.

S: To my surprise it has a bit of a malty smell to it. I get a bit of fruits coming out with each smell too.

T: The taste of this is quite remarkable; first you have the bite of the carbonation, then the great hop flavour hit your tongues, and finally there is a slight malty flavour. However, the hops stay on your tongue. This is very balanced, and great.

M: It has a slight bite when one takes a drink, but after that it's quite smooth and has a relaxing feel to it.

D: For a 6.8% beer this is incredibly drinkable. I have to stop myself from taking drinks. I'd definitely have another!

Serving Type: Bottle in English pint glass.

swizzlenuts, Feb 24, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Rich honey pour in a tulip with a great fragrant sweet citrusy hop aroma. Nice mix of caramel sweetness with grapefruity scents. Taste was very hoppy overall, and above average hopping for an IPA I'd say. Nice citrusy flavors again, with big grapefruit juice like flavor, and a citrus rind like bitter finish. Perhaps a touch above my ideal bitterness level, but this is still a fantastic IPA and one I'd like to have again.

JDV, Feb 24, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Had sampled Great Divide products on my last trip out West but hadn't seen them in many Boston area locales. Was pleasantly surprised to find it two nights in a row at local area watering holes.

I've always been a fan of IPAs but have been tiring of some of the locals (Harpoon, Smuttynose) so I was excited to try something new. Had a couple of the Titan IPAs and I found that the taste kept growing on me with each sip. Great looking beer and had a great hoppy bite to it that is the IPA trademark. Finished smooth for an IPA and left a great aftertaste. Will definitely keep an eye out for other Great Divide products in the Boston area.

danehycr, Feb 22, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Wow. I didn't really expect this beer to be THIS good. One of the best beers I've EVER had.

Appearance: Pours golden amber colored with an off white lasting head. Laces nicely as you drink it.

Smell: Smells of Citrus hops. Wonderful aroma.

Taste: Sweet malts are balanced with citrusy hops with an apricot flavor. Fantastic beer. I really would like to know the hop schedule so I can replicate it

Mouthfeel: Silky smoooth, medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I was really taken aback on the exceptional flavor of this beer. I have tried their fresh hop pale ale (A great beer in its own) but this one was just fantastic. I really can't stop raving about this beer. Great divide makes some excellent brews!

Squelch, Feb 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a rocky tan head. The aroma is hoppy but the malty sweetness is perceptible. The taste is malty with a strong hop presence. Nice balance for an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy. Overall, this is an easy drinking IPA that I would recommend.

barefootbrewer, Feb 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very good solid IPA. Appearence amber in color mediem white head leaving a nice lace on the way down. Smell was a bit citric maby grapfruit. Taste was about the same gapefruit bitterness developing later on leaving a nice aftertaste inticing the next sip. Mouthfeel mediem body mediem carbonation. Drinkability I could place this in my top 10 IPA's.

BeerTaster, Feb 14, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a clear orange amber with a minimal creme head that leaves nice lacing on the way down. A peachy citric nose is strong with some added perfume tones. I really like it. Flavor carries a noticeable citrus hop profile that stays dominant in the back of the mouth as fleeting tones of fruit ride in a quick wave over the tip of my tongue. Feel has a smooth liquid touch and the carbonation bites a bit. A very easy drinking IPA. Well balanced but very flavorful. A pleasure!

RblWthACoz, Feb 11, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14%

The model IPA.

Pours a copper, amber color. Head dissipates pretty quickly. A lot of lacing on the glass. A good amount of sedidment as well.

Smells of biscuits, fruit, pine, and alcohol.

Taste is absolutely outstanding. Slightly bitter taste that is quickly offset by the malt. Very well balanced.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. Very tasty and drinkable. Yet another outstanding Great Divide brew.

jdubjacket, Feb 10, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

After sampling Yeti's Oak-aged Imperial Stout, I took a great liking to the Great Divide brewing Co... their Titan IPA is hands-down one of the best American IPA's that I have ever sampled... pours a wonderful amber, copper appearance with an impressive frothy and foamy head that lingered on... smell is top of the line for an IPA... grainy, with caramel, in-your-face hops, and other great aromas... taste strongly complemented the flavor, with a strong suggestion of fresh hops, vanilla, caramel, bread and butter, and a bittersweet aftertaste... in terms of flavor, this is probably the ultimate depiction of an amazing IPA... wonderfully rich, creamy, fresh, and full of pure, uncloying flavors that stick to the mouth... excellent mouthfeel with a superb drinkability that goes down crisp, clean and smooth with a pleasing bitter finish that is not overbearing and does not disappoint... Great Divide did really well with this one, and this particular IPA sample is certaily above and beyond... if you are a fan of the style, this is a must-try... Definitely recommended...

dsa7783, Jan 31, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

MaltFrazier came through with this... once again, good look MALT!

A- Pours golden honey in color.... very clear yet with a small ammount of sediment. Nice frothy head and nice lacing.

S- Piny hop oil... a little citrus on the nose as well.... light cookie malt

T- VERY strong hops... mostly piny, but some citrus stops by for a quick cameo as well.... the malt is hard to decipher from all the hops, but you know its there by how it balances things out in the aftertaste. WOW.

M- Oily on the palate... nice bite on the tongue... perfect ammount of carbonation

D- Very good IPA... this goes above and beyond most others in the style. Flavorful till the last drop!

SirSaranac, Jan 28, 2008

A-clear golden straw, 1 finger of decent holding white foam, films of lacing

S- pine and crisp malt

T- crsip graham cracker-like malts and citric hops throughout, honey-like sweetness to malts, toasted malts, earthy hops with a strong citrus finish

M- coarse body with a sticky finish and after

D- great American IPA, with delicious hop and malts flavorings, highly recommended

tonistruth, Jan 26, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mahogany color with a bunch of sediment. Nice sticky head of 2 fingers that leaves some lacing and remains as a cap throughout the beer's duration.

Aroma is surprisingly malty, with big caramel notes.

Flavor is also malty, inappropriately so if you ask me. The major notes here are caramel and honey flavors from the malt, with very little hoppiness. What hops there are are not bitter, but sweet and grapefruity.

Nothing wrong with mouthfeel here. Maybe a bit sticky.

Very easy to drink but I was expecting a nice dose of bitterness and I didn't find it here.

illidurit, Jan 25, 2008

A- pours yellow,then turns copper. Lots of dense head. looks like I'll have to wait to pour the rest into my pint glass...Really white head. Looks good and leaves a little, tight lace on the glass.

S- can smell the citrus hops right away. Can pick up the piney hops too. Nicely balanced. I think more piney than citrus.

T- Defiantly more piney. Tastes more piney that citrus but still hoppy

M- What you'd expect from an IPA. A good bitterness but fades leaving you wanting more. Medium-light mouthfeel. would like a smoother mothfeel.

D- Too bitter to drink too many, but mellows with warmth.

Tolann, Jan 24, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

This is a really great beer, I can't believe that it took me this long to try it. I have drinking the Hercules for a long time, but for no good reason I just passed this one up. It is a delicious, very well crafted IPA. Streamrunner originally recommended this to me, but I just got around to trying it. Thanks Matt, I am raising this glass to you!

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Man, this beer looks good. It is completely transparent and has a honey gold color. It produced a solid two finger fine-textured white head that slowly dissipated to a thin crown. It left a ton of thick lacing on the way down.

Smell - Resinous hops. I can detect citrus, mainly grapefruit, and pine. There is a hint of pineapple juice in the scent as well. I smell a blend of crackery and sweet caramel-like malts. It makes my mouth water.

Taste - Fantastic. I can taste the malts first, crackery and caramelly, which provides a sweetness before the hops come in and slap them aside. It gets bitter, fast. The hops are delicious - very resinous and piney with the citrus coming in a close second. It has a nice bitter finish that just makes me want to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light bodied. It has enough carbonation to keep me interested. It helps to cut through the bitterness of the beer. Having just a bit more carbonation wouldn't hurt it.

Drinkability - Awesome. This is a great IPA. The smell and taste just make me want to keep drinking. This is now my second favorite locally available IPA, right behind the Stone IPA. Great Divide has rarely let me down, and this is another amazing beer in their line-up. Good stuff.

MiguelMandingo, Jan 23, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Cloudy orange amber with one inch head of creamy beige foam with pretty good retention. Plenty of lacing. Aroma of sweet malt and citrus and pine hops. Taste is less sweet than the aroma would suggest. Bitterness is up front and present throughout. Carbonation is good and mouthfeel is dry. Good drinkability, I could drink one after another of these and will definitely drink it again.

CDBeerDisappear, Jan 22, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -11%

Nice pour. Inch of head, made of small bubles. Great head retention. Clear, golden / copper colored beer.

Fantastic smell. Sweet, flowery, hoppy smell. Roses and oranges and hops. Cool.

I bet most IPA lovers enjoy this one. Decent blend of malts to keep the hops from being overwhelming.

I'm not completely sold. Too much pine, which always reminds me of Pinesol and other cleaning agents.

Smooth though, with a good mouthfeel for an IPA. The hops don't beat your tastebuds into submission.

I don't like drinking many of these, because the aftertaste is so dominated by the pine flavor.

jar2574, Jan 20, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottled during the 1st week of September.

a: Amber/Orange body, frothy white head, good lacing and retention.

s: Heavy dose of pine and citrus hops.

t: Piney hops make up the backbone of this well crafted IPA. Plenty of citrus flavors, grapefruit mostly. Caramel malt tries to balance it out, but the hops overtake it. Bitter, delicious hopness.

m: Carbonation is medium to high. Sticky, chewy.

d: Hop heads will love it. Very tasty, very hoppy, very drinkable.
Similar to Bell's Two Hearted or Odell's IPA. Good stuff.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 20, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into room temp pint glass. I let sit for 10 minutes before drinking.

Appearance - A very light brownish color with a hint of orange. Light head, which settled into a thin layer, decent lacing.

Smell - Definitely an IPA, by the good amount of floral aroma that hits your nose. Also has a piney scent. This is a very pleasant smelling beer.

Taste - To steal a line from Old School 'Once it hits your Lips, it's so good'. Seriously though, very strong hop taste, but not entirely bitter. Earthy and Citrus notes as well. Yeasty, as prevalent by the yeast you can see in your glass.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, low carbonation.

Drinkability - I could drink a few of these, definitely one of the better IPA's that I have tasted.

kevman527, Jan 20, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Nice dark amber colour, minimal lacing but lasts well in the glass. Unfortunately, the yeast seems to be a not particularly flocculent variety which makes it hard to pour without getting a lot of yeast into the beer and clouding the whole thing up.

S: Perfect IPA type smell - all about the hops - but with some nice underlying sweet cherry malt to add complexity.

T: Good strong hop flavour and bittering but not one dimensional - there is enough malt coming through to add some balance to this beer - certainly a better all round flavour than the Hercules double IPA.

M: Fairly high carbonation means the beer fluffs up in the mouth, fades nicely into a mouth puckering bitterness.

D: You'd certainly need to be a big hop fan to drink this one all night, but if you are it's a very drinkable refreshing beer - I can imagine this being good for winter sipping and summer quaffing.

I can see this one making it into my regular rotation!

BarryNL, Jan 17, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two fingers of white froth top off a fine, moderately cloudy orange-red base, very nice. The smell gives off a lot of hops, though shy of a DIPA, with some orange and apricot fruit sidling their way in. The taste was boldly hopped while restrained, well-balanced with fruits and spices, a great-tasting citrusy IPA loaded with orange, apricot, and grapefruit. Ample biscuit malt adds brilliant balance. A wonderful mouthfeel makes this easy to drink.

I'm very impressed with this, a very well-balanced IPA. Grab it and don't look back.

Gehrig, Jan 16, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

12 oz. bottle purchased about a month ago, poured into Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Pours a nice reddish amber with about a finger and a half of white head. Head doesn't last long, but leaves a decent lacing.

S: Smells hoppy. A little bit of citrus coming through, but mostly hops.

T: Hops. Malts are present, but hops are most definitely the dominant flavor. Not nearly the hop monster that the Hercules is, but still quite hoppy. (Oh, BTW, I am a bit of a hop-head.)

M: Rather light in body even compared to most IPA's I've had. Pretty good carbonation.

D: At 6.8%, it's just a tad above what I would consider sessionable, but if I had more I could definitely do 2 or 3 of these in a night.

In a style that has a ton of worthy offerings, this is IMO one of the more notable. Great Divide has yet to disappoint me. Solid IPA.

milesfan76, Jan 12, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a reddish honey color. a 1/2 inch head formed and diminished quickly. A moderate amount of lacing.

Lots of citrus in the rind. Some really nice floral qualities.

A ton of hoppy bitterness in the taste of this beer. It was almost overpowering. Slight sweetness on the front palate, followed by grapefruit notes, and finished very bitter.

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel.

brantadid, Jan 09, 2008