Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American IPA | 7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,440 | Hads: 4,003
3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

My introduction to Great Divide. Here goes:

A: Mediocre. Nice orange-amber, but little carbonation and a small head that dissipates immediately. The beer is clear, however, and it leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle, but this may be because the beer was bottled over four months ago. Light pine, grapefruit and some caramel, the latter of these obviously from the malt. Obviously a WC IPA. However, the scents were relatively faint and subdued - I had to really stick my nose in the beer to smell it.

T: Good, but nothing special. Good mix of grapefruit, pine hops and caramel malt. Leaves a partially sweet caramel presence at the back of the palate; hops aren't that astringent.

F: Very good. Nice and sticky.

O: Solid beer, but there are better options.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Nice Amber color, half inch thick white head, with nice retention and lacing.
Smell: Aroma is flowery, and citrusy, with some light pine notes and just a light sweet malt tinge.
Taste: Piney up front, with a nice citrus flavor, and a good malt backbone.
Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, with a nice crisp dry finish.
Overall: I really like this beer, this one was pretty fresh, bottled three weeks ago, I'll definitely seek this one out again.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice Amber hue with off white creamy head. Aroma of pine, citrus, and malt. Taste piney up front and finishes off with a mild citrus sweetness, with a mild dry bitterness. Just right, not overwhelming. I definitely be drinking more of these.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

look-Pours a gorgeous amber with a nice, sticky, white head that retains nicely, a steady stream of bubbles reinforce the nice head.
Smell-Pine, hop funk, green peppercorns, light fruit
Taste-Pine and dank, hop funk in the beginning but the finish is filled with light fruit like apples, pears, and a hint of tangerine.
Feel-crisp,quite carbonated,finishes moist but not overly juicy.
overall-very impressive IPA, a nice take on the non-fruity IPA.

3.04/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Looks nice, and I've enjoyed other Great Divide beers in the past, but something feels off about this one. They must utilize some type of hops that I'm not a huge fan of. I like some IPAs, but this one is a bit too piney for my tastes. Didn't smell fantastic, either. Overall, fair. It's not disgusting, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy more.

A little disappointed.

4.09/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful piney hops, slight citrus notes of orange and maybe slight grapefruit. Beautiful malt background adds a really nice balance. All around solid IPA, a staple.

3.09/5  rDev -24.4%

I'm not crazy about this ipa.. Has world class numbers.. How I'm not sure. Looks nice in the glass.. Small was off setting.. Taste was really mild. Overall not a bad beer but would not buy again.

For me, this is the OG! Had my first taste of this many years ago and I always come back to it. This beer is paired perfectly with a long, July mountain bike ride in the desert, or an eight hour day of shoeing colts in February. There are many great IPA's out there, especially in Colorado, but this is as good as it gets.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of thick, white head that fades slowly with a nice curtian of lace.

Aroma: Bready, caramel malt over some spicy, citrus and pine hop notes

Taste: Creamy, chewy, sweet malt backbone with pronounced bitterness right off the bat, becoming quite bitter towards the finish. Bitterness is piney and resinous. A little malt sweetness pokes through on the finish with the bitterness lessening in intensity but still lingering.

The Rest: A great IPA. Balanced yet assertive without any harshness.

4.01/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz.

Pours a clear light amber. Sudsy white head retains well as a film.

Smells of caramel and biscuit malts with a maple and pine hoppiness.

Flavors of honey, biscuit, and floral hops. Maybe some hibiscus in there.

Medium to light body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

This is a pretty IPA with an average aroma and body, but a very nice and flavorful taste. Definitely worth a try for fans of the style as it manages to be a good IPA while also standing out from what you would expect. Outside of that still above average although slightly overrated in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a dark golden amber - much darker than normal for an IPA. The pour kicks up a solid two-finger head that fades to a good film after a few minutes and leaves copious amounts of lace.

Aroma is piney, caramelly, and resiny. There are mild hints of citrus (mostly grapefruit), and a very prominent malty flavor that smells surprisingly like krispy kreme donuts. I'm hoping that the hop presence will be stronger on the palate cause it is concerning to have an IPA where the malt presence is the most notable thing on the nose.

Palate follows the nose pretty closely - super piney, with grapefruit underneath, and a strong malt presence that really does taste like krispy kreme. There's tons of resin and a bit of an astringent alcohol bite. Finish is mildly bitter, with an aftertaste of more resin, caramel, bread (aka krispy kreme), and a hint of mint. Well-balanced, but not really my favorite flavors.

Mouthfeel is super silky. Medium-bodied with a good amount of tiny carbonation bubbles that feel really soft and silky.

Overall, it's definitely well-done, but not quite up my alley. This used to be one of my favorites several years ago, but I guess my tastes really have gravitated away from pine and resin flavors. Still, there's a really great balance here, and considering that they were probably going for pine resin, they did a great job making a drinkable beer that showcases that flavor.

For an IPA, which isn't my favorite style, it's pretty darn good. Everyone loves this beer, as the ratings indicate, and it's easy to see their point. High enough alcohol to notice, hoppy enough to get that kick to it, but not overwhelming. It's still a wee bit hoppier than I like, so I don't go out of my way to get it, but every once in a while I could see having one of these. The masses endorse this beer, and you probably will too.

Bought a growler of this at a local sports bar as I don't have luck finding fresh great divide bottles. Pours amber orange with a white head that lasts. Slight smell of malt and pine. Has a subtle pine and fruity taste with a slight malt presence. Taste fades a few seconds after taking a drink. Very easy to drink and refreshing.

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

Titan IPA pours a hazy darker golden color with a nice large head. There is a very malt smell and very very earthy. The taste has some pine notes, but is very earthy, tastes like what I imagine mulch tastes like. Big full flavors. Overall its a strong, but tastes like mud.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great divide still impresses me. Each beer is so smooth and tasty. This IPA was so amazing. Cannot wait to try the next beer they send out. I will be going to get anything they have on the shelf tomorrow. Amazing

This beer is trash. Garbage trash. My buddy and I wanted to try something new. And we made a great dishonor. Between this and the Laurelwood Workhorse IPA, we fucked up something randy. This beer boasts of balance between "...rich malty sweetness...." and "crisp hop bitterness". And they lied. To all of us. The maltiness wildly savages the hopiness, leaving an overly sweet flavor on the palate. Its relatively high alcohol content makes it difficult to choke down. I'm sad I bought a six pack, I'm going to have to donate it to to the local AA chapter.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

On tap at The Fridge. I had no idea what this was but it was the "least of all evils" on the tap list today and I was very pleasantly surprised. Clear, orange, not a lot of head which disappeared fairly quickly. It didn't have a lot of smell but what there was smelled nice. A little pine and fruit. It had a much better taste with plenty of hops but enough malty sweetness to make it a fairly smooth and refreshing drink. The ABV was enough to take the edge off the godawful baseball game that followed, too.

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber-orange color. Small light brown foam head. A very small amount of lacing. Aroma has leads with lots of pine and some light citrus. Bready malts. Floral hops and a bit of grassiness. Taste has lots of bready and caramel malts. Overall, very malt driven. A little bit of sweetness. More of the pineyness from the aroma. Mouthfeel is medium. A little bit resinous. Sticks of the tongue quite a bit.

In my personal opinion, the taste here could've benefited from a little bit more of a citrus presence to balance out the malts. Overall, though, it's still a solid IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Titan ipa
Poured into a STONE ipa glass. Unfortunatly drank notre quite as fresh as it should have been... At first, very nice looking IPA, nice amber slightly orange in colour. Nice white head fainting rapidly with a nice lacing. Does not seem too carbonated.
Nose is delicate. As usual, you find pine and citrus but on the delicate side, not pungent . You'll find bread and caramel smell.
Mouth ant taste: wow, thirst quenching ipa! Very well balanced, refreshing, not to carbonated as per see. Not agressive at all in mouth. Caramel and bread taste, little citrus and pine but not, way not dominant. Malt is rich and balances this beer in a very pleasant way...
Overall, a very nice surprise for me. Not an overpowered hopped IPA and not too malty. This is right in the middle, very interesting. Easy drinking, perfect for hot summer days by the pool...

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 4/18/14.

A- Hazy orange with reddish accents. Poured with a thin 1/4 finger head that moved to a quick lace within a minute.

S- Pale malts, biscuit, some faint citrus and grass.

T - Very subdued, more like an English IPA. Mango, orange, dirt and grass on the finish, with some spice lurking in the background.

M - Carbonation is medium low, a touch watery, but very smooth refreshing.

O - Not sure if being three months old muted the hops some. Either way, this is a highly drinkable IPA that goes down fast. Will seek it out again if I find it closer to the bottle on date.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Definitely glad I grabbed this one! It stands out from other IPAs I have had without a doubt. The beer has a nice amber color with a smaller foamy head when poured and smells great. Not too overpowering with a pine scent like most IPAs have. My first sip I was very surprised. I was hit with a slight bite of citrusy hops which mellowed out with toasty malts. Its truly crafted wonderfully. I can tell this beer was greatly inspired by English Style IPAs. Love it!

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Pours a dark copper color, with minimal head that quickly leaves behind a nice lacing on my glass.

Smells of hops and a bready malt. I'm familiar with the brewery and their other IPAs, and the hop-malt balance is what I've come to expect and enjoy from them.

It tastes of piney, citrusy hops with a bready and caramel malt flavor following. The taste is very well balanced between hops and malts, with nothing being extremely overpowering.

It's moderately carbonated, and also thicker than I was expecting from a non-double IPA. Still, goes down quite smoothly.

Overall, another solid offering from the Great Divide. I was expecting a lot, and not let down.

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dated March 2014 (really the freshest I can find)

Cloudy orange pour with a quarter inch white head and scant lacing.

Mild hop on the nose and a noted sweetness. Low key tropical fruit and no apparent citrus.

Mild hop followed by a heavier malt bill. Again, low key tropical fruit that I can't really put my finger on. I'm left hanging here.

Mouthfeel is creamy in the imperial style I'm not expecting in this IPA. I'm feeling the malt weighs heavier here outdoing the hop.

Not bad but not great either. To be fair the side of the bottle does express a "rich" maltiness but not getting the crisp hop bitterness. This reminds me of when I've had extremely fresh Ithaca Flower Power and after one month the flower faded or actually increased in maltiness. I'm believing Titan fresh is the bomb but after a short time this bomb turns into a dud. I want a fresher batch and will buy when I see. As this example stands for right now it's a meh!

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

355ml Bottle from the Brewdog Online Shop (£3.50):
Copper tinged amber with a 1.5cm, foamy white head that reduces to about half that then holds. It's very clear with some bubbles rising as well.

More malty than I was expecting with some sweetness & touches of caramel but these are balanced against some pleasantly bitter hops, namely citrus and floral ones. Some background fruits including some orange and some biscuit feature as well.

Sweet malts, bread & caramel but with the hops from the nose taking more of a front seat. It's quite hop-filled with citrus & floral flavors & some grapefruit. Some pine, toasted malts & further fruits such as orange and mango round things off.

Smooth & bitter with a nice sweetness from the caramel & a wonderful balance from the start. There was moderate carbonation & the alcohol was well hidden throughout, working well with the medium body & citrus tang towards the end.

I was expecting a lot from this one and thankfully it didn't disappoint at all, going down exceptionally well with a great taste and balance throughout. Titan IPA was another fantastic beer from Great Divide and one that I would rate above their Hercules Double IPA, mainly down to the fact that it was so much easier to drink thanks to the lower abv.

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: orange-copper. Crystal clear. Medium head. Nice thin lacing.
S: slightly sweet. Flowers. Tea. Fruit. Small alcohol notes. A lot going on here.
T: Mildly sweet. Small grain taste. Mild hop flavor. Medium bitterness of pine.
M: medium carbonation and body.
O: great IPA. Well balanced. Complex and tasty.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company