Microbrew Invitational

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-04-2003

Reviews: 1,448 | Ratings: 4,075
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Amber jade color, large carbonation bubbles, thin head leaving small lacing sticks whence consumed.
S: Predominantly malty.
M: Crisp then syrupy. Mouthfeel perhaps best attribute.
T: Definitely malt over hops on the palate. This however is not a bad thing. It is a fine brew to pickup at a Walmart where I've seen it to be one of the better craft brews in there selection. If it was between this and sweet water iPa for instance, I'd reach for the Titan.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Beer pours a rich copper color with a thick tan head that stays until the last drop. Smells a bit piney with a very faint christmas tree taste that finishes with sweetened malt. Gorgeous looking in the glass, tiny bubbles of carbonation. Light lacing around the glass. Starts and finishes very well on the palate. IMO, perfect balance of hoppiness. Delicious brew.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Gave about a finger's worth of head. I tend to use tulip glassware so it would be more in a pint. Disappeared quickly with some lacing left over.

S: Not as "hoppy" as most. There is some spice in the background. Slightly disappointing.

T: Mild hops in the front. Leaves a little bitterness on the finish. It's good but I've had better.

M: Decent carbonation but I'm not picking up anything else spectacular. It would grade out the same as some of our local competitors.

D: I could have more than one of these. It's drinkable just not remarkable. I do like it.

Overall: Please try it. It's a worthy beer but there are many others out there that are better choices. Maybe I just had a so-so bottle?

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a deep orange-amber with one finger of head that holds for a minute so

S: Brilliant citrusy hops with notes of not only grapefruit, but prominent orange peel and lemon zest as well.

T: Wow, the hops come through as strong and as complex as in the nose, with bright citrus and floral notes upfront, a little bit of toasted bread malt in the middle, and with a fairly strong hop bitterness in the finish.

This one blew me away. I just grabbed it from a friend who is usually a PBR devotee, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's certainly one of the best American IPAs I've had. Absolutely worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Had this on Tap @ Bukowski's last night. Seemed very fresh (not sure when they picked this up)

Pours a nice orange/amber - a bit on the darker side of my IPA preference. Nice fluffy off-white head.

Nice citrus aromas & sweet malty scents are very noticable right away.

taste is of evenly balanced maltiness & hop bitterness. The bitterness is really smooth & unobtrusive, but it is definitely there. Also lots of aroma hops prevalent throughout. The beer is backed up well by a solid malt foundation. Indeed, the beer I drank immediately afterwards made the Titan seem almost sweet! But very drinkable and enjoyable.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A- Smooth looking, lovely translucent orange colour. Light amount of head.

S- VERY strong aromas of pine, and juniper. The strong hops are extremely evident. The bitterness punches the nose begging to be consumed.

T- Great pine taste! Nice and dry. Spectacular balance of the hops with other flavours. The hops carry a good bite, but it's not overpowering to the other tastes in the brew.

M- Fantastic! Light, and in no real way overbearing. It sits nicely on the palate and leaves a pinch of hops on the tongue.

D- Highly drinkable. If I had more, i would with out a doubt be having more of his great beer.

Cheers.

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Looks nice, and I've enjoyed other Great Divide beers in the past, but something feels off about this one. They must utilize some type of hops that I'm not a huge fan of. I like some IPAs, but this one is a bit too piney for my tastes. Didn't smell fantastic, either. Overall, fair. It's not disgusting, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy more.

A little disappointed.

Looks good, smells good, is good. Nice and bitter. Lots of hops in the smell and taste. Citrus, pine and a sweetness buried in there somewhere. A very good IPA to say the least. My first from Great Divide is a winner. Give me more and more and more and more..

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Titan is cloudy golden brown with a thin white head with moderate lacing. Surprisingly, the nose does not have strong hop aroma, very malty and sweet with hints of citrus. It has a mellow sweet malt taste up front, followed by smooth light hop flavors, the tang of alcohol and a lightly bitter aftertaste. Its very full in your mouth with a clean finish. It is too sweet and not as spicy as I like my IPA's but drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance - poured a cloudy brownish orange color with very little head that quickly dissipate to nothing but a ring around the edge

smell -reminds me of citrus, but more orange then lemon or pine like many other peers in the style but not over the top, infact it was pretty weak smelling overall, but this maybe due to this bottle having been held on to too long.

taste - a well balanced IPA, not overly malty, not a hop bomb and hides its alcohol content quite well, i had to double check to actually believe it is 7%

mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

overall - a great beer that i hope to try again and would love to try a fresh sample on draft.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

I purchased a 12 oz bottle with a freshness date on the back of the label.

A - Upon the pour I realized that this beer had a ton of yeast sediment in the bottle which is somewhat unappetizing however it can't hurt you so drink up. The head on this beer reminds me of a lemon merangue pie it's so thick and foamy. I like to sport a full beard and often beer head fills my mustache. I couldn't wait long enough for it to settle so too bad mustache. The beer pours amber-orange.

S - The first aroma I am greeted with is fresh pine sap. The hops are very pronounced in this manner, I also smell strong notes of citrus, mainly grapefruit and orange zest. I like this beer alot because it isn't as perfumey as IPA's like Southern Tier's Unearthly. The fact that it doesn't have that characteristic aroma adds to this beers drinkability.

T - Greeted with the typical bitter hoppy taste. Its very well balanced and a few sips later it is very desirable. The piney hops add alot of characteristic to this beer.

M - Somewhat watery from what i would expect however very light and easy to palate.

D - This beer is very good, not overly aromatic or bitter. Very well balanced and I could deffinetly drink a few of these.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

A. I could swear I see a green tint from the hops in the creamy , rocky tan head that would not go away ! Great lacing.

S. Classic hops. Good piney, citrusy hops.

T. Big hops up front, malt backbone with a finish of big hops that last !

M. Very Smooth with a great hops taste.

D. This is definitely my favorite IPA so far, and I have had all the big boys !!

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Titan IPA is definitely one of the more memorable Ipa's Ive tried recently... I had my first 3 beers from great divide and I can definitely say I'm very impressed.

Pours a beautiful clear golden amber tone, nice head and good lacing.

Smells AMAZING, Nice piney hops hit you in the face...

Taste smooth and complex... perfect balance of sweetness and hoppiness.

very good mouthfeel smooth and nice bitter hop aftertaste.

I could drink it again and again.

WIN!

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a very clear, light copper color with a 1 finger white head. light lacing, and head thins out shortly after pouring.

S - Citrus and fruity. Pleasant aroma, but surprising.

T - As the aroma suggested, citrusy. Additionally, has a candy-sweet flavor on the front end. Decent bitterness on the back-end that will sit around after swallowing.

M - Medium-light body. Standard and appropriate for an IPA.

O - Good beer. Nice use of citrusy hops with an interesting sweetness in the flavor.

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

12-oz brown bottle with bottled notches for 3rd week of February

Pours a beautiful clear orange-amber with two-finger off-white head leaving lovely rings of lace with each sip.

Grapefruit, floral and pine-y hops with hints of malt--luscious, juicy fragrance.

Waves of hop flavor: piney and pithy bitterness and juicy citric hops overwhelm the tongue. This is followed by some sweetness and fruity middle, but this plays definite second fiddle to the heavy hop and bitter. Wonderfully overbalanced with hops without pitching forward due to the fruity esters and malt. Finishes with plenty of hops, bitterness and a faint sweetness.

Medium thick mouth feel with enough carbonation to keep from overly coating the tongue.

I can and have drunk this from afternoon to the wee hours. My "go to" IPA. I love this stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this beer at a restaurant and was the 3rd person to try it.

The smell had a great floral, hop smell. The color was a great deep dark color.

The taste is better than most IPAs. It had a great taste...the hoppiness of the IPA really comes through.

The draft is so great to taste.

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

12 Oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
Bottled Feb 29, 2012

A- Dark golden/orange with a very sparse white head. My pour was probably not aggressive enough, or my glass not clean enough.

S- Smells fabulous. Piney and sharp, but floral and not too resiny. It's not smelly, it's beautifully fragrant.

T- Floral and malty up front, a little bit of sweetness slides back on the tongue along with a firm, but balanced bitterness as the beer slides back on the tongue. Finishes dry, not bone dry, but very nice. Really drinkable. This is an incredibly well-balanced IPA. YUM!

M- Full mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

O- This has totally knocked my socks off. I'm usually afraid to try IPAs because I so often find them to be way out of balance and just unpleasant. But the maltiness here and the gentle sweetness provide all the support that the bitterness needs, and the floral, slightly piney character of the hops plays well with everyone. This is the best IPA I have ever drank in my life. The only thing that comes close is the Deuchar's I had in Edinburgh, and that may be because I was feeling rather sentimental at the time.

Buy this beer. Buy ME this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a phenomenal IPA. It is wonderfully potent and perfect for this 90+ NJ summer day that I'm drinking it during. My wife and I just had a boy, and she has a Guinness for nursing during the day, so I occasionally join her with an afternoon taste of my own, like today. It's super-piny and it has a nice bite to it. It really does not go the soft route--instead, this beer is fierce. But fierce in a way that's well executed, and this is the triumph of the beer.

Appearance is lovely. You may notice a nice bit of sediment in your glass, and no--that's not your dishwasher's sign of retirement---it's the lovely, unfiltered awesomeness in the glass. I guess this could turn some people off, but I personally loved it.

Smell is ridiculous. It has the pine and citrus notes that make IPA the definitive summer beer for a hophead like myself.

The taste is money as well. This is a real deal IPA, meaning the hops are right up front. I just finished my beer at the beginning of this review and I can STILL TASTE THE HOPPINESS. I love when that happens.

The titans, in Greek myth, were those who ruled before Zeus overthrew them. This beer is Titanic, in that it proves it's dominance over other, non-worthy attempts of IPA rulership. Congrats again, Great Divide, ya'll are the truth!

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

From the get go this has a very bready smell and taste with some hop bitterness on the finish. Essentially it's a very malty IPA so for those who don't typically like IPAs then I'd say this is a good one for you to try. The smell was also very malty which was kinda surprising given that it says "aggressively hopped" beer. Usually if it's got a lot of hops then you can smell it right away. I'd say it falls a bit short if this is supposed to be an IPA. I'd say this tastes more like a very malty pale ale rather than an IPA. The lines between IPAs and APAs are very blurred in the market anyway. So if you really like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I doubt you'd think this was a true IPA. That being said, I really like this beer even though it's barely an IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

What a great find! This is one of those rare beers that competes with the likes of Russian River's stacked IPA lineup. It so nice to drink a great IPA with outstanding mouth feel such as this.

Nice deep color with a good hop aroma. Not sure if they are using hop extract but it does have that character. Taste has more lingering bittering hops than say a Pliny but nothing offensive.

Hop heads unite!

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Good IPA. Pours a hazy amber/orange color with a 1 inch head. Aroma is of sweet malts and a little citrus, not very powerful aroma. Taste is piney and woodsy with a hint of orange peel, sweet malts and other fruit that I cannot put my finger on. Hop and citrus aftertaste lingers perfectly after. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, perhaps a little oily. Lacing hangs nicely on the glass as I drink down. Not my favorite IPA but will probably buy again.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

This IPA poured from the tap has a delicious looking orange/copper tint with a nice ½ inch foam head. It has a slightly cloudy appearance and an aroma that tells you it’s going to satisfy the hop heads. The taste didn’t disappoint – plenty of hops with a nice mix of citrus. The taste did linger a bit, but that’s not always a bad thing. It was priced a little bit more than some of the other micro’s on tap – not sure why. Even though it was a little bit more expensive, this is one I would definitely go back to.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. Behind Yeti, this is my favorite GD brew, maybe.

A: poured into tulip shaped glass. nice rich medium dark ipa. very nice large head that settles quickly. medium lacing

S: very pleasant. nice mix of pine, citrus, malt and Amer. hops

T: lots of hops with slight malt undertone. long bitter finish. no real alcohol presence. very tasty for a normal production beer. Tastes better as it warms up a little

M: bitter and smooth. slight sweetness in the finish

D: Better buy more than 6, they go quicker than you think

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whenever I walk into the liquor store and start looking around, I start to try to justify spending $16 and up for a single bottle of beer. I inevitably fail.

I then start to try to find value. There are a few brewers I trust, but there are many more that I'm just not familiar with, and tend to give off this just-like-everyone-else vibe. Before I tried this beer, Great Divide was one of those brewers for me.

This beer surprised me. While not the cheapest IPA, I now think it may be the best value. It can't stand toe to toe with the titans of the style (buh dum chhh) but for the price I don't expect it to.

The first thing I noticed was the smell. It has the classic piney floral smell of a good IPA, but it isn't weak; you don't have to strain, the character really comes through.

The smell does indeed portend the taste that was to come. The pine and citrus flavors from the nose come through to the palate, only more so. Although not a high abv beer, you do get just a bit of alcohol warmth as it goes down, which is quite welcome. After a couple of these, I fell much cozier.

A first rate beer, and one that will be in my home much more regularly from now on. If you love hops, and you like value, do yourself a favor and get this. Now.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Has a clear orange tint to it. Had a good head that did not dissipate for a while.

S - Smells like cascade hops and oranges

T - I tasted hops, oranges, ginger, spices, and a smoky flavor.

D - It went down smooth, not too bitter, perfect mix of flavor and bitterness.

This is one of the best IPA's I have had so far. I could not taste the alcohol at all due to all of the flavors.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company