Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Titan IPATitan IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,431 | Hads: 3,962
4.94/5  rDev +20.8%

12 Oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
Bottled Feb 29, 2012

A- Dark golden/orange with a very sparse white head. My pour was probably not aggressive enough, or my glass not clean enough.

S- Smells fabulous. Piney and sharp, but floral and not too resiny. It's not smelly, it's beautifully fragrant.

T- Floral and malty up front, a little bit of sweetness slides back on the tongue along with a firm, but balanced bitterness as the beer slides back on the tongue. Finishes dry, not bone dry, but very nice. Really drinkable. This is an incredibly well-balanced IPA. YUM!

M- Full mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

O- This has totally knocked my socks off. I'm usually afraid to try IPAs because I so often find them to be way out of balance and just unpleasant. But the maltiness here and the gentle sweetness provide all the support that the bitterness needs, and the floral, slightly piney character of the hops plays well with everyone. This is the best IPA I have ever drank in my life. The only thing that comes close is the Deuchar's I had in Edinburgh, and that may be because I was feeling rather sentimental at the time.

Buy this beer. Buy ME this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%

This is a phenomenal IPA. It is wonderfully potent and perfect for this 90+ NJ summer day that I'm drinking it during. My wife and I just had a boy, and she has a Guinness for nursing during the day, so I occasionally join her with an afternoon taste of my own, like today. It's super-piny and it has a nice bite to it. It really does not go the soft route--instead, this beer is fierce. But fierce in a way that's well executed, and this is the triumph of the beer.

Appearance is lovely. You may notice a nice bit of sediment in your glass, and no--that's not your dishwasher's sign of retirement---it's the lovely, unfiltered awesomeness in the glass. I guess this could turn some people off, but I personally loved it.

Smell is ridiculous. It has the pine and citrus notes that make IPA the definitive summer beer for a hophead like myself.

The taste is money as well. This is a real deal IPA, meaning the hops are right up front. I just finished my beer at the beginning of this review and I can STILL TASTE THE HOPPINESS. I love when that happens.

The titans, in Greek myth, were those who ruled before Zeus overthrew them. This beer is Titanic, in that it proves it's dominance over other, non-worthy attempts of IPA rulership. Congrats again, Great Divide, ya'll are the truth!

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

From the get go this has a very bready smell and taste with some hop bitterness on the finish. Essentially it's a very malty IPA so for those who don't typically like IPAs then I'd say this is a good one for you to try. The smell was also very malty which was kinda surprising given that it says "aggressively hopped" beer. Usually if it's got a lot of hops then you can smell it right away. I'd say it falls a bit short if this is supposed to be an IPA. I'd say this tastes more like a very malty pale ale rather than an IPA. The lines between IPAs and APAs are very blurred in the market anyway. So if you really like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I doubt you'd think this was a true IPA. That being said, I really like this beer even though it's barely an IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

What a great find! This is one of those rare beers that competes with the likes of Russian River's stacked IPA lineup. It so nice to drink a great IPA with outstanding mouth feel such as this.

Nice deep color with a good hop aroma. Not sure if they are using hop extract but it does have that character. Taste has more lingering bittering hops than say a Pliny but nothing offensive.

Hop heads unite!

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Good IPA. Pours a hazy amber/orange color with a 1 inch head. Aroma is of sweet malts and a little citrus, not very powerful aroma. Taste is piney and woodsy with a hint of orange peel, sweet malts and other fruit that I cannot put my finger on. Hop and citrus aftertaste lingers perfectly after. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, perhaps a little oily. Lacing hangs nicely on the glass as I drink down. Not my favorite IPA but will probably buy again.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This IPA poured from the tap has a delicious looking orange/copper tint with a nice ½ inch foam head. It has a slightly cloudy appearance and an aroma that tells you it’s going to satisfy the hop heads. The taste didn’t disappoint – plenty of hops with a nice mix of citrus. The taste did linger a bit, but that’s not always a bad thing. It was priced a little bit more than some of the other micro’s on tap – not sure why. Even though it was a little bit more expensive, this is one I would definitely go back to.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

A. I could swear I see a green tint from the hops in the creamy , rocky tan head that would not go away ! Great lacing.

S. Classic hops. Good piney, citrusy hops.

T. Big hops up front, malt backbone with a finish of big hops that last !

M. Very Smooth with a great hops taste.

D. This is definitely my favorite IPA so far, and I have had all the big boys !!

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. Behind Yeti, this is my favorite GD brew, maybe.

A: poured into tulip shaped glass. nice rich medium dark ipa. very nice large head that settles quickly. medium lacing

S: very pleasant. nice mix of pine, citrus, malt and Amer. hops

T: lots of hops with slight malt undertone. long bitter finish. no real alcohol presence. very tasty for a normal production beer. Tastes better as it warms up a little

M: bitter and smooth. slight sweetness in the finish

D: Better buy more than 6, they go quicker than you think

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whenever I walk into the liquor store and start looking around, I start to try to justify spending $16 and up for a single bottle of beer. I inevitably fail.

I then start to try to find value. There are a few brewers I trust, but there are many more that I'm just not familiar with, and tend to give off this just-like-everyone-else vibe. Before I tried this beer, Great Divide was one of those brewers for me.

This beer surprised me. While not the cheapest IPA, I now think it may be the best value. It can't stand toe to toe with the titans of the style (buh dum chhh) but for the price I don't expect it to.

The first thing I noticed was the smell. It has the classic piney floral smell of a good IPA, but it isn't weak; you don't have to strain, the character really comes through.

The smell does indeed portend the taste that was to come. The pine and citrus flavors from the nose come through to the palate, only more so. Although not a high abv beer, you do get just a bit of alcohol warmth as it goes down, which is quite welcome. After a couple of these, I fell much cozier.

A first rate beer, and one that will be in my home much more regularly from now on. If you love hops, and you like value, do yourself a favor and get this. Now.

3.72/5  rDev -9%

A - Has a clear orange tint to it. Had a good head that did not dissipate for a while.

S - Smells like cascade hops and oranges

T - I tasted hops, oranges, ginger, spices, and a smoky flavor.

D - It went down smooth, not too bitter, perfect mix of flavor and bitterness.

This is one of the best IPA's I have had so far. I could not taste the alcohol at all due to all of the flavors.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle to a goblet. The label on the bottle is pretty nice.

A - Beautiful looking beer! It has a light gold, almost slightly orange color. Its a little foggy. Lacing like crazy.

S - Hop scents and also slightly sweet. Citrus with slight floral hints. It makes my mouth water, smells quite good.

T - Hop bitterness, perfect amount for my tastes. Some light malt which is hidden behind some citrus and pine. The bitterness form the hops linger on the tongue until the next sip.

M - It feels slightly thick and heavy, medium carbonation. The bitterness stays with you all the way down your throat. Slightly dry finish.

O - I will likely buy this one again in the future. I really enjoyed this beer by Great Divide. The hard hitting hops and piney citrus tie in to create a very delicious IPA brew. The smell and look of the beer make it impossible to refuse a drink of it. Go get yourself a bottle or two of this.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Just recently got into an APA kick after picking up a six pack of the Sweetwater IPA.

A-Poured a nice amber with hardly any head. Just pretty to gaze upon.

S- aA very sharp hoppy/piney aroma that almost makes ya cough. A good omen I thought.

T- Really, really smooth. Very hoppy and very bitter, but spreads out nicely on the tounge.

DrA.-Not as downable as the sweetwater IPA, but thats probably a good thing because this beer is nice to just take your time with and enjoy.

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good and hazy looking, I can't see through the glass clearly. Has a dull copper color. The creamy head and hazy character make for a great looking brew.

Somewhat nutty aroma which is accompanied by a burst of citrus upon first whiff. The first gulp leaves behind a grapefruit taste that crawls up the roof of the mouth. The hop flavor is well balanced with a good malt backbone.

Consider me a repeat offender when it comes to drinking Titan IPA.

Bottled 4/7/09, tasted 7/26/09. Picked up at La Bodega, Anchorage, AK.

A: Clear, brassy/honey color, off-white head, lots of lacing after a slightly aggressive pour.

S: A fair amount of pine hoppiness gives way to a little bit of fruity sweetness. Not a hoppy/citrusy fruit, but a 'maybe the hops are starting to fade' kind of fruitiness. Almost like an overripe orange - not bad, but makes me wonder if it's too late.

T/M: Pine up front, fades into a nice grassiness, and I'm left with a bit of what I characterize as that old hop fruitiness. Nice bitter finish, dry but not too astringent, that makes me want another sip. Good malt character and creamy carbonation. Very smooth for 7.1% (per the bottle).

This is a great beer; I'd love to try a fresher one.

On a side note, I like the label. Picked this one up as a single in a mixed sixpack, and got lots of info right on the bottle in a simple, clear font. (Bottled on date, description, awards, pairing suggestions(!), brewery address, slogan, logos, ABV, oz./mL, standard warnings, all without being too cluttered.)

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottled on Date: Jan 11, 2010
Drink on date: March 2, 2010

I love this beer. Easily in my top 3 when its fresh.

Although this is not the freshest bottle ever, ive had it about a week after it was bottled so i know how it is when its stellar fresh and my scores will reflect that. (its like an orgasm for your mouth)

Appearance and Smell - a few shades short of a pale amber mixed with honey. Head is nearly white with very pretty lacing. The staying power of hte head is a great indicator of how hoppy this beer is, it stayed all the way to the bottom of the glass. Smells like nice citrusy hops with a little sweetness on the end but still almost all hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel - HOPS! Tasty citrusy hops, grapefruity with a little sweetness in the middle and a nice bitter finish that holds to the next draw. Mouthfeel is right on for an IPA. The carbonation is a little low but i knocked a lot of it out with my straight down the middle pour.

Drinkability - Perfect. I LOVE this beer and would drink it all day if i didnt value my liver.

Notes - an exceptional brew from an exceptional brewer, well done GD.

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've seen this ale in my local beer shop for about a year but i hadn't gotten around to trying it. Whilst traveling last month I picked up a bottle of the Great Divide Fresh Hop and was very impressed. So, upon my return to RI I picked up a six of this lovely IPA. This is the lesson I've learned: Read BA, Trust BA, Drink as BAers do.
This IPA hits all the tics of a good Double IPA but with a little less alcohol, great hop / citrus aroma, nice appearance with a full thick head and of course that winning hop taste. The followup has a good thickness and just the right amount of bitters.
This will definitely be a regular purchase on my part along with Harpoon Imperial IPA, Dogfish 90 and Stone Ruination.

4.17/5  rDev +2%

This IPA is incredibly balanced - with great aroma. The head is intense and releases a piney scent that doesn't overwhelm but tickles the nose.

There is a terrific amount of lacing. Looks like spiderman spun his web on my glass.

I highly recommend it. I will be back looking for more at the store.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a 6pack of this to prepare for my trip to Denver.
Appearance: A nice golden color with a nice head that lingered for a long time.
Smell: very bold hops & heavy citrus but there was a balance between the 2 that made you want to smell it again.
Taste: starts off with the bitter hops then lends to a piney/citrus finishing witha bready malt.
Mouthfeel: full but smooth
Drinkability:I'm a IPA fan but this was a great beer & could drink it all day.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured an amber color with a one finger head that quickly formed into a little lacing.

Smell was of toasty caramel malts with some orangy copper and a touch of piny hops.

Taste was similar to the smell, I picked up some caramel maltiness that dissipated into a coppery orange with a pine bitterness to follow.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a touch of dryness as the hops comes through (nothing mouth puckering).

Its a pretty drinkable beer and I know I would have like to had one more to really get the full affect.

Overall a good IPA but I definitely don't see myself using this as a go to beer.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Copper-brown and a bit cloudy in appearance. I drank this from the tap in a pint class. I think the server was a bit behind because by the time I got it the head was all but gone. Boo :( Has an effervescent, piney smell with a bit of hops mixed in. First taste envelopes the taste buds with a very hoppy, slightly carbonated tingle, really flavorful! The hops linger on the back of the tounge throughout most of the beer, although it did mellow out a little bit as it warmed. The mouthfeel is decent and a little carbonated.

I'm in the process of developing a taste for hoppy beers like IPAs. This one is pretty decent, I will drink it again!

Enough said: I'm not an savy savant or a frequent reviewer, but I've been trying IPAs for years and this is still my favorite. Great Divide has lots of good beer and I go there every time I visit my Bro in Denver! Top 5 = Titan, Stone Ruin, 2 Hearted, Green Flash and Lagunitas.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured as a golden color with a hint of copper. Moderate white head that left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Piney nose with some of floral notes. The taste of the hops and malt are almost perfectly balanced in this beer. The malt brings a bit of caramel to the party, while the hops are piney without being overbearingly so. It has a medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, leaving me with an almost creamy sensation.

Not the kind of IPA I typically reach for, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely buy it again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

First and foremost, i am a huge fan of dogfish head IPAs but this one could be its closest competetor to being my favorite.

It pours a cloudy dark amber, with nice head and some decent lacing. The smell is hoppy, typical of an IPA,

Great, smooth hop flavor, not harsh in the least. Medium bodied, smooth. I could drink a few of these but I would drink them slowly, not something you want to pound while watching football.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

poured a light, cloudy amber color with a thin, slightly off white head. the head dissapeared after a moment but left thin lacing for the remainder of the serving. smelled citrusy and a little bit like grass. the taste was good, a nice hops kick, not too strong though, just enough to be promenant without overpowering. other hints of citrus, oranges and lemons, and just a bit of sweet malt at the end. didn't end as dry as i was expecting. very nice to drink, i could have a few more of these easily.

Definitely does justice to the IPA style. Very powerful smell with strong floral and citrus aroma. Explosion of hop flavors. The first sip hits you with the strong hop bitterness and flavor, even for an IPA. Very well blended. Very bitter but yet is balanced out with the malty sweetness enough to make it easy to drink. A beer where a minute or so after drinking you still have that strong hop flavor in your mouth. Good job of blending the different hop varieties. Brewed with hopheads in mind.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company