Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

pDev: 10%
Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,420 | Hads: 3,898
3.72/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Has a clear orange tint to it. Had a good head that did not dissipate for a while.

S - Smells like cascade hops and oranges

T - I tasted hops, oranges, ginger, spices, and a smoky flavor.

D - It went down smooth, not too bitter, perfect mix of flavor and bitterness.

This is one of the best IPA's I have had so far. I could not taste the alcohol at all due to all of the flavors. (387 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle to a goblet. The label on the bottle is pretty nice.

A - Beautiful looking beer! It has a light gold, almost slightly orange color. Its a little foggy. Lacing like crazy.

S - Hop scents and also slightly sweet. Citrus with slight floral hints. It makes my mouth water, smells quite good.

T - Hop bitterness, perfect amount for my tastes. Some light malt which is hidden behind some citrus and pine. The bitterness form the hops linger on the tongue until the next sip.

M - It feels slightly thick and heavy, medium carbonation. The bitterness stays with you all the way down your throat. Slightly dry finish.

O - I will likely buy this one again in the future. I really enjoyed this beer by Great Divide. The hard hitting hops and piney citrus tie in to create a very delicious IPA brew. The smell and look of the beer make it impossible to refuse a drink of it. Go get yourself a bottle or two of this. (930 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Just recently got into an APA kick after picking up a six pack of the Sweetwater IPA.

A-Poured a nice amber with hardly any head. Just pretty to gaze upon.

S- aA very sharp hoppy/piney aroma that almost makes ya cough. A good omen I thought.

T- Really, really smooth. Very hoppy and very bitter, but spreads out nicely on the tounge.

M-sticky.

DrA.-Not as downable as the sweetwater IPA, but thats probably a good thing because this beer is nice to just take your time with and enjoy. (502 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good and hazy looking, I can't see through the glass clearly. Has a dull copper color. The creamy head and hazy character make for a great looking brew.

Somewhat nutty aroma which is accompanied by a burst of citrus upon first whiff. The first gulp leaves behind a grapefruit taste that crawls up the roof of the mouth. The hop flavor is well balanced with a good malt backbone.

Consider me a repeat offender when it comes to drinking Titan IPA. (455 characters)

Bottled 4/7/09, tasted 7/26/09. Picked up at La Bodega, Anchorage, AK.

A: Clear, brassy/honey color, off-white head, lots of lacing after a slightly aggressive pour.

S: A fair amount of pine hoppiness gives way to a little bit of fruity sweetness. Not a hoppy/citrusy fruit, but a 'maybe the hops are starting to fade' kind of fruitiness. Almost like an overripe orange - not bad, but makes me wonder if it's too late.

T/M: Pine up front, fades into a nice grassiness, and I'm left with a bit of what I characterize as that old hop fruitiness. Nice bitter finish, dry but not too astringent, that makes me want another sip. Good malt character and creamy carbonation. Very smooth for 7.1% (per the bottle).

This is a great beer; I'd love to try a fresher one.

On a side note, I like the label. Picked this one up as a single in a mixed sixpack, and got lots of info right on the bottle in a simple, clear font. (Bottled on date, description, awards, pairing suggestions(!), brewery address, slogan, logos, ABV, oz./mL, standard warnings, all without being too cluttered.) (1,078 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottled on Date: Jan 11, 2010
Drink on date: March 2, 2010

I love this beer. Easily in my top 3 when its fresh.

Although this is not the freshest bottle ever, ive had it about a week after it was bottled so i know how it is when its stellar fresh and my scores will reflect that. (its like an orgasm for your mouth)

Appearance and Smell - a few shades short of a pale amber mixed with honey. Head is nearly white with very pretty lacing. The staying power of hte head is a great indicator of how hoppy this beer is, it stayed all the way to the bottom of the glass. Smells like nice citrusy hops with a little sweetness on the end but still almost all hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel - HOPS! Tasty citrusy hops, grapefruity with a little sweetness in the middle and a nice bitter finish that holds to the next draw. Mouthfeel is right on for an IPA. The carbonation is a little low but i knocked a lot of it out with my straight down the middle pour.

Drinkability - Perfect. I LOVE this beer and would drink it all day if i didnt value my liver.

Notes - an exceptional brew from an exceptional brewer, well done GD. (1,115 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've seen this ale in my local beer shop for about a year but i hadn't gotten around to trying it. Whilst traveling last month I picked up a bottle of the Great Divide Fresh Hop and was very impressed. So, upon my return to RI I picked up a six of this lovely IPA. This is the lesson I've learned: Read BA, Trust BA, Drink as BAers do.
This IPA hits all the tics of a good Double IPA but with a little less alcohol, great hop / citrus aroma, nice appearance with a full thick head and of course that winning hop taste. The followup has a good thickness and just the right amount of bitters.
This will definitely be a regular purchase on my part along with Harpoon Imperial IPA, Dogfish 90 and Stone Ruination. (710 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

This IPA is incredibly balanced - with great aroma. The head is intense and releases a piney scent that doesn't overwhelm but tickles the nose.

There is a terrific amount of lacing. Looks like spiderman spun his web on my glass.

I highly recommend it. I will be back looking for more at the store. (299 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a 6pack of this to prepare for my trip to Denver.
Appearance: A nice golden color with a nice head that lingered for a long time.
Smell: very bold hops & heavy citrus but there was a balance between the 2 that made you want to smell it again.
Taste: starts off with the bitter hops then lends to a piney/citrus finishing witha bready malt.
Mouthfeel: full but smooth
Drinkability:I'm a IPA fan but this was a great beer & could drink it all day. (451 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Poured an amber color with a one finger head that quickly formed into a little lacing.

Smell was of toasty caramel malts with some orangy copper and a touch of piny hops.

Taste was similar to the smell, I picked up some caramel maltiness that dissipated into a coppery orange with a pine bitterness to follow.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a touch of dryness as the hops comes through (nothing mouth puckering).

Its a pretty drinkable beer and I know I would have like to had one more to really get the full affect.

Overall a good IPA but I definitely don't see myself using this as a go to beer. (604 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Copper-brown and a bit cloudy in appearance. I drank this from the tap in a pint class. I think the server was a bit behind because by the time I got it the head was all but gone. Boo :( Has an effervescent, piney smell with a bit of hops mixed in. First taste envelopes the taste buds with a very hoppy, slightly carbonated tingle, really flavorful! The hops linger on the back of the tounge throughout most of the beer, although it did mellow out a little bit as it warmed. The mouthfeel is decent and a little carbonated.

I'm in the process of developing a taste for hoppy beers like IPAs. This one is pretty decent, I will drink it again! (644 characters)

Enough said: I'm not an savy savant or a frequent reviewer, but I've been trying IPAs for years and this is still my favorite. Great Divide has lots of good beer and I go there every time I visit my Bro in Denver! Top 5 = Titan, Stone Ruin, 2 Hearted, Green Flash and Lagunitas. (278 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured as a golden color with a hint of copper. Moderate white head that left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Piney nose with some of floral notes. The taste of the hops and malt are almost perfectly balanced in this beer. The malt brings a bit of caramel to the party, while the hops are piney without being overbearingly so. It has a medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, leaving me with an almost creamy sensation.

Not the kind of IPA I typically reach for, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely buy it again. (540 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

First and foremost, i am a huge fan of dogfish head IPAs but this one could be its closest competetor to being my favorite.

It pours a cloudy dark amber, with nice head and some decent lacing. The smell is hoppy, typical of an IPA,

Great, smooth hop flavor, not harsh in the least. Medium bodied, smooth. I could drink a few of these but I would drink them slowly, not something you want to pound while watching football. (429 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

poured a light, cloudy amber color with a thin, slightly off white head. the head dissapeared after a moment but left thin lacing for the remainder of the serving. smelled citrusy and a little bit like grass. the taste was good, a nice hops kick, not too strong though, just enough to be promenant without overpowering. other hints of citrus, oranges and lemons, and just a bit of sweet malt at the end. didn't end as dry as i was expecting. very nice to drink, i could have a few more of these easily. (502 characters)

Definitely does justice to the IPA style. Very powerful smell with strong floral and citrus aroma. Explosion of hop flavors. The first sip hits you with the strong hop bitterness and flavor, even for an IPA. Very well blended. Very bitter but yet is balanced out with the malty sweetness enough to make it easy to drink. A beer where a minute or so after drinking you still have that strong hop flavor in your mouth. Good job of blending the different hop varieties. Brewed with hopheads in mind. (496 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - Darker copper-orange color. Clear with a huge foamy head although I did pour it quite fast.

Aroma - Instantly I noticed a pleasant hop smell that really stood out. Must have been the citrus in the hops. A bit piney too.

Taste - I was happy to see that it tasted much like it smelled. The piney/citrus hop flavor stuck there the entire time. It was nice to have real hop flavor along with the bitterness. There was enough of a malt backbone to balance it out some.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and carbonated.

The kind of stand-out IPA that I like. Not overwhelmingly bitter and a distinguishable taste. The kind that I would recognize without seeing the label. (668 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a six pack of Titan IPA at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH.
I had not heard of Great Divide before coming across a few of their beers at the aforementioned grocery store. This is the first I have tried.
For my money this is probably the most complete IPA I have tried. Other good examples like Avery and Two-Hearted stick out because of how hoppy and dry they were. The Titan IPA was hoppy yes, but had enough malt or something else to lend the beer a subtle sweetness that makes it easily the most drinkable I have ever had.

As an unintended, but welcome, comparison, I finished the sixer of the Titan as I began working through a sextet of Three Floyds' Alpha King. While a good IPA the Alpha King still has too much of the hoppy bitter/dry character to stand up to the superb beverage that is Great Divide's Titan IPA. I just hope there other styles are as good within their groups as the Titan is to its. (921 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Lively bubbles rise up to a dense, puffy white head. The beer is a dark shade of orange with maybe a hint of brown. Crystal clear, no haze. Was this beer dry hopped? We'll see...

The cap of foam that sits on top of my pint is so dense and frothy it obscures the hop aroma, only to be revealed when I swirl the glass. When I do, pine tree-like aromas escape. Assertive enough to be dry hopped. Most IPAs exhibit a floral character but not this one. Imagine the smell of a (non-fake) Christmas tree.

The taste is medium-sweet maltiness backed up by a solid backbone of hop flavor from start to finish. In fact it's amazing how both the malt and hops are able to compliment each other in this beer. Because it's an IPA the hops win, of course. But it's nice to see that the malt doesn't wimp out. (795 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A vigorous pour produces 1.5 fingers of head that fights a long time to stay atop the beer, great holding power. A clear (almost looks filtered) orange color. Lacing down the glass is thick.

Smell: Strong citrus hop aromas, lots of grapefruit. A little malt detectable in the background, not too much though. Hop aromas are sweet and powerful.

Taste: The hops do not disappoint. I don't know the hop bill but I would suspect some American c-hops are at play here. A soft bready aftertaste from the malt, very nice balance for my liking.

Mouthfeel: More carbonated than average. A nice thickness in the mouthfeel but I wish it had left a thicker hoppy coating in my mouth, disappears quickly.

Overall: This is a delicious beer. Try as I might, I have trouble finding very many faults. Clearly deserves a place in the upper echelon of American IPAs. (906 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours an orange amber with foamy yellow-white head. Sharp floral, citrus, piny hop scent. Grapefruit. Taste is very hoppy but not too bitter, malt sweetness underlying flavor. Very nice. There isn't much more I can say that hasn't already been said below. Really nice ipa that I can drink whenever I find it. (308 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Accompanied by my great and awe-inspiring my grandmother, the Titan IPA pours hazy adequate dark orange with a medium intense off-white head. Rather quickly the head cleanly dissipates.

A balanced and complex uproar of aromas thrills my nostrils. Clearly of a pronounced intensity, bombastically hoped bringing citrus and fresh green grass. The beer greatly delivers another layer of aromas; wet cardboard, a caramelized malt furthermore hints of toffee and chocolate.

Oboy, this one is fresh and decidedly aromatic, orange zesty. Nice bold and concentrated malt body with a slight sweetness. The mid-palate is valiant, mousse mouth-filling and a bit sticky, whereas it at the same time is pretty fatty. The marked hops contributes to the more orange zest mirrored aftertaste in a perhaps more flowery sensation. Overall the harmonizing structure is well-secreting the alcohol in all that massive body and its smooth texture.

Totally impressed by the sexy complexity and boldness here. Hop me baby! http://quaffable.org/?p=163 (1,029 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from bottle into a 20oz. Imperial pint glass
Once poured titan is a clear orange hue, small bubbles of CO2 rise up slowly. The 1/2 head slowly disipates, but leaves a nice white lace around the glass. A strong, but not overpowering hop floral hop smell is noted.
On first taste the hops takes the lead, minimal malt flavor noted, but is to be expected with an IPA.
The mouthfeel is smooth, leaving a full feeling in mouth that disipates slowly, carbonation is perfect for the style.
For the IPA lover, this is a great drinkable beer, that you'll want to go back to. For those just into IPA's I would recommend this as a starter in your exploration. (659 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Bought a sixtel of this for my Home Bar, love Great Divide Beers and this one I had not sampled.

Amazing citrus aroma caught my nose, hoppy no doubt.

The head coated my stein like a good beer should, easy to drink, smooth and delicious.

Not an overpowering IPA, it was just right!

Great Divide puts out A+ quality brews! (325 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A- a dark honey colored brew with nice head and spider-man lace (ha)
S- hoppy w citrus notes. piney is a good way to describe it.
T- solid hit of nicely rich malts flavor followed by a perfectly balanced hit of bitter hops.
MF- full mouthfeel with citrus, malt, and bitter hops.
D- very drinkable, especially if you love hops. great finish that coats the palatte and begs for another drink.

Overall, i like this brew, it is a solid IPA that is well balanced. Great Divide brewery (and colorado breweries generally) have made a great brew that keeps ya coming back. this even has a nice abv level of above 7% but you would never know it by taste, but you will after youve finished one. highly recommend this IPA (711 characters)

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company