Titan IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

pDev: 10%
Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Titan IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,411 | Hads: 3,851
4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

This IPA is incredibly balanced - with great aroma. The head is intense and releases a piney scent that doesn't overwhelm but tickles the nose.

There is a terrific amount of lacing. Looks like spiderman spun his web on my glass.

I highly recommend it. I will be back looking for more at the store. (299 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a 6pack of this to prepare for my trip to Denver.
Appearance: A nice golden color with a nice head that lingered for a long time.
Smell: very bold hops & heavy citrus but there was a balance between the 2 that made you want to smell it again.
Taste: starts off with the bitter hops then lends to a piney/citrus finishing witha bready malt.
Mouthfeel: full but smooth
Drinkability:I'm a IPA fan but this was a great beer & could drink it all day. (451 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Poured an amber color with a one finger head that quickly formed into a little lacing.

Smell was of toasty caramel malts with some orangy copper and a touch of piny hops.

Taste was similar to the smell, I picked up some caramel maltiness that dissipated into a coppery orange with a pine bitterness to follow.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a touch of dryness as the hops comes through (nothing mouth puckering).

Its a pretty drinkable beer and I know I would have like to had one more to really get the full affect.

Overall a good IPA but I definitely don't see myself using this as a go to beer. (604 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Copper-brown and a bit cloudy in appearance. I drank this from the tap in a pint class. I think the server was a bit behind because by the time I got it the head was all but gone. Boo :( Has an effervescent, piney smell with a bit of hops mixed in. First taste envelopes the taste buds with a very hoppy, slightly carbonated tingle, really flavorful! The hops linger on the back of the tounge throughout most of the beer, although it did mellow out a little bit as it warmed. The mouthfeel is decent and a little carbonated.

I'm in the process of developing a taste for hoppy beers like IPAs. This one is pretty decent, I will drink it again! (644 characters)

Enough said: I'm not an savy savant or a frequent reviewer, but I've been trying IPAs for years and this is still my favorite. Great Divide has lots of good beer and I go there every time I visit my Bro in Denver! Top 5 = Titan, Stone Ruin, 2 Hearted, Green Flash and Lagunitas. (278 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

First and foremost, i am a huge fan of dogfish head IPAs but this one could be its closest competetor to being my favorite.

It pours a cloudy dark amber, with nice head and some decent lacing. The smell is hoppy, typical of an IPA,

Great, smooth hop flavor, not harsh in the least. Medium bodied, smooth. I could drink a few of these but I would drink them slowly, not something you want to pound while watching football. (429 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

poured a light, cloudy amber color with a thin, slightly off white head. the head dissapeared after a moment but left thin lacing for the remainder of the serving. smelled citrusy and a little bit like grass. the taste was good, a nice hops kick, not too strong though, just enough to be promenant without overpowering. other hints of citrus, oranges and lemons, and just a bit of sweet malt at the end. didn't end as dry as i was expecting. very nice to drink, i could have a few more of these easily. (502 characters)

Definitely does justice to the IPA style. Very powerful smell with strong floral and citrus aroma. Explosion of hop flavors. The first sip hits you with the strong hop bitterness and flavor, even for an IPA. Very well blended. Very bitter but yet is balanced out with the malty sweetness enough to make it easy to drink. A beer where a minute or so after drinking you still have that strong hop flavor in your mouth. Good job of blending the different hop varieties. Brewed with hopheads in mind. (496 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - Darker copper-orange color. Clear with a huge foamy head although I did pour it quite fast.

Aroma - Instantly I noticed a pleasant hop smell that really stood out. Must have been the citrus in the hops. A bit piney too.

Taste - I was happy to see that it tasted much like it smelled. The piney/citrus hop flavor stuck there the entire time. It was nice to have real hop flavor along with the bitterness. There was enough of a malt backbone to balance it out some.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and carbonated.

The kind of stand-out IPA that I like. Not overwhelmingly bitter and a distinguishable taste. The kind that I would recognize without seeing the label. (668 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a six pack of Titan IPA at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH.
I had not heard of Great Divide before coming across a few of their beers at the aforementioned grocery store. This is the first I have tried.
For my money this is probably the most complete IPA I have tried. Other good examples like Avery and Two-Hearted stick out because of how hoppy and dry they were. The Titan IPA was hoppy yes, but had enough malt or something else to lend the beer a subtle sweetness that makes it easily the most drinkable I have ever had.

As an unintended, but welcome, comparison, I finished the sixer of the Titan as I began working through a sextet of Three Floyds' Alpha King. While a good IPA the Alpha King still has too much of the hoppy bitter/dry character to stand up to the superb beverage that is Great Divide's Titan IPA. I just hope there other styles are as good within their groups as the Titan is to its. (921 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Lively bubbles rise up to a dense, puffy white head. The beer is a dark shade of orange with maybe a hint of brown. Crystal clear, no haze. Was this beer dry hopped? We'll see...

The cap of foam that sits on top of my pint is so dense and frothy it obscures the hop aroma, only to be revealed when I swirl the glass. When I do, pine tree-like aromas escape. Assertive enough to be dry hopped. Most IPAs exhibit a floral character but not this one. Imagine the smell of a (non-fake) Christmas tree.

The taste is medium-sweet maltiness backed up by a solid backbone of hop flavor from start to finish. In fact it's amazing how both the malt and hops are able to compliment each other in this beer. Because it's an IPA the hops win, of course. But it's nice to see that the malt doesn't wimp out. (795 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A vigorous pour produces 1.5 fingers of head that fights a long time to stay atop the beer, great holding power. A clear (almost looks filtered) orange color. Lacing down the glass is thick.

Smell: Strong citrus hop aromas, lots of grapefruit. A little malt detectable in the background, not too much though. Hop aromas are sweet and powerful.

Taste: The hops do not disappoint. I don't know the hop bill but I would suspect some American c-hops are at play here. A soft bready aftertaste from the malt, very nice balance for my liking.

Mouthfeel: More carbonated than average. A nice thickness in the mouthfeel but I wish it had left a thicker hoppy coating in my mouth, disappears quickly.

Overall: This is a delicious beer. Try as I might, I have trouble finding very many faults. Clearly deserves a place in the upper echelon of American IPAs. (906 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours an orange amber with foamy yellow-white head. Sharp floral, citrus, piny hop scent. Grapefruit. Taste is very hoppy but not too bitter, malt sweetness underlying flavor. Very nice. There isn't much more I can say that hasn't already been said below. Really nice ipa that I can drink whenever I find it. (308 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Accompanied by my great and awe-inspiring my grandmother, the Titan IPA pours hazy adequate dark orange with a medium intense off-white head. Rather quickly the head cleanly dissipates.

A balanced and complex uproar of aromas thrills my nostrils. Clearly of a pronounced intensity, bombastically hoped bringing citrus and fresh green grass. The beer greatly delivers another layer of aromas; wet cardboard, a caramelized malt furthermore hints of toffee and chocolate.

Oboy, this one is fresh and decidedly aromatic, orange zesty. Nice bold and concentrated malt body with a slight sweetness. The mid-palate is valiant, mousse mouth-filling and a bit sticky, whereas it at the same time is pretty fatty. The marked hops contributes to the more orange zest mirrored aftertaste in a perhaps more flowery sensation. Overall the harmonizing structure is well-secreting the alcohol in all that massive body and its smooth texture.

Totally impressed by the sexy complexity and boldness here. Hop me baby! http://quaffable.org/?p=163 (1,029 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured as a golden color with a hint of copper. Moderate white head that left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Piney nose with some of floral notes. The taste of the hops and malt are almost perfectly balanced in this beer. The malt brings a bit of caramel to the party, while the hops are piney without being overbearingly so. It has a medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, leaving me with an almost creamy sensation.

Not the kind of IPA I typically reach for, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely buy it again. (540 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from bottle into a 20oz. Imperial pint glass
Once poured titan is a clear orange hue, small bubbles of CO2 rise up slowly. The 1/2 head slowly disipates, but leaves a nice white lace around the glass. A strong, but not overpowering hop floral hop smell is noted.
On first taste the hops takes the lead, minimal malt flavor noted, but is to be expected with an IPA.
The mouthfeel is smooth, leaving a full feeling in mouth that disipates slowly, carbonation is perfect for the style.
For the IPA lover, this is a great drinkable beer, that you'll want to go back to. For those just into IPA's I would recommend this as a starter in your exploration. (659 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Bought a sixtel of this for my Home Bar, love Great Divide Beers and this one I had not sampled.

Amazing citrus aroma caught my nose, hoppy no doubt.

The head coated my stein like a good beer should, easy to drink, smooth and delicious.

Not an overpowering IPA, it was just right!

Great Divide puts out A+ quality brews! (325 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A- a dark honey colored brew with nice head and spider-man lace (ha)
S- hoppy w citrus notes. piney is a good way to describe it.
T- solid hit of nicely rich malts flavor followed by a perfectly balanced hit of bitter hops.
MF- full mouthfeel with citrus, malt, and bitter hops.
D- very drinkable, especially if you love hops. great finish that coats the palatte and begs for another drink.

Overall, i like this brew, it is a solid IPA that is well balanced. Great Divide brewery (and colorado breweries generally) have made a great brew that keeps ya coming back. this even has a nice abv level of above 7% but you would never know it by taste, but you will after youve finished one. highly recommend this IPA (711 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Draft: Slightly hazed, super solid slightly off-white head. Subtle hoppy, piney nose with notes of spice and orange peel. Piney, minty hop flavors...somewhat flat hop characteristics...stale so to speak...balanced I suppose but nothing is tasting too fresh here...there’s some fruitiness and dried mint character thoug, but its not all that enticing. (352 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle to glass.

a-Very carbonated with bottle sediment floaters moving around with the bubbles. Thin but persistent head. light copper color.
s-aroma of hops but not over powering.
t-bitter hops. not over the top, yet hops over take the malt flavor. Not a big malt flavor.
m- Mouth feel is very carbonated in this particular bottle. Somewhat astringent.
d- Definitely a drinkable beer but on the bitter side, true to the American IPA style. Can’t quaff these down very quickly.

I personally prefer more malt body with strongly hoped beers. But this beer is still a good example of the style. (616 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer is for anyone who loves the nice bitterness and exceptional aroma of hops hops HOPS.

A- Nice Copper color, very clean in appearance. Tiny persistent bubbles of carbonation rise slowly as you enjoy this beer. Medium, fluffy head slowly gives way leaving spiderweb decor along the inside of the glass, still some head retention all the way down.

S- HOPS! Like living in a log cabin made of fresh cut pines, almost citrus-y. Bitter in the nose as well as on the palate, but pleasant and floral. No scent of sweetness at all.

T-See above. Detect a very very slight malt backbone, more like a wishbone. This is one of the best Hop-lovers beers I've ever had. I almost feel guilty drinking it given the current Hop shortage. Oh, wait, no I don't.

M- Smooth, quick, and cleansing. Leaves a pleasant freshness after it goes down. Freshness lasts and lasts. No detection of alcohol whatsoever.

D- This beer is very drinkable. Hop lovers again, gather around this one and share a glass or two I'm telling you. MultiMillion-Dollar Conglomerate Giant Corporate Brewing Companies? The Great Divide has bottled your fears and sold them under the title "Titan IPA." (1,167 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

A- brigth light copper hue,nice creamy frothy head,solid lacing

S-Piney resinous with citrus grapefruit notes

T-loads of resinous herbal hop character with noticeable citric notes,very pleasing and flavofull hop profile with solid sweet caramel malt backing,slightly syrupy in a good way

M- full,creamy with pleasant lingering finish

D-very drinkable,alcohol very well hidden yet I prefer it as a sipper due to complexity

All in all on of my favorite IPA's,a fine example of the style.Very nice balance considering style,robust yet very smooth!An IPA on maltier sweeter side of things with substantial hop charater.A highly recommended hop forward offering not to be missed,try it. (687 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

According to label: bottled on 12/16/2009. Enjoyed on 2/4/2010. $2.00 for a 12 oz. Pour was a bit weak, I was expecting a bit more head and only got less than one finger. Straw colored with nice lacing and minimal visible carbonation.

Aroma is total piney hops. It smelled like it would be refreshing. Also, a hint of citrus and malt.

Flavor is also major hops, pine with some citrus- as an IPA should be. Flavor profile was very similar to aroma. No suprises.

Mouthfeel is nice, slightly thicker than expected. Very sly on the ABV. Very drinkable. The 7.1% ABV would surely sneak up on me.

Overall, a very good IPA. (620 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

This IPA has a lot to it. Sometimes they say less is more, and I think in this case that pertains to this brew. Nice hoppy floral smell, like a good IPA should. The first taste is wonderful, but the burnt sugar aftertaste is something I don't care for. It's unique in it's entirety, and especially as a west coast IPA. Not bad, but id drink a hell of alot of IPA's before this one. (381 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a copper color with a creamy 1 1/2 inch head. Beer looks very inviting.

Smell is of hops and more hops. Citrus, grapefruit and a hint of pine in the nose.

The taste is primarily hops, with a small amount of malt coming through at the end, but mostly the grapefruit, citrusy hops coming through.

The mouthfeel is medium and well carbonated, the hops leave a nice bitterness on your tongue.

High drinkability on this one, I truly enjoyed this IPA (464 characters)

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company