Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 4,736 | Reviews: 1,696
Reviews by 120minuteman:
3.22/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into my anderson valley "can" pint glass

Appearance: Extremely dark, almost like a black hole. No light is passing through this beer.

Smell: Very, very yeasty. Bread like smell. Similar to the aroma of a bakery of a summer afternoon.

Taste: Warm, doughy taste. Lots of chocolate as well. Mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This is one HEAVY beer. Felt more like eating a sandwich than drinking a beer. Mild carbonation.

Overall: This beer had A LOT of flavor, but lacked the complexity I seek in a RIS. Glad I tried it, but won't repeat. Will be trying the oak aged and chocolate oak versions though soon.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance - This beer is darker than dark with a beautiful, full head. The head is very dark as well, a solid milky brown I'd say, and laced the hell out of my class. It was a beauty shop in the best sense.

Smell - This bouquet is a nice mix of roasty malts, coffee grounds, and dark chocolate from the finest shop in San Francisco. The raw coffee grounds and dark chocolate work incredibly well together, giving this one a very bitter nose.

Taste - Oh, this is really good. The notes from the nose are here in spade, but the roasted malts are super-juiced and are much sweeter at the tongue. It's a dark sweetness, again like chocolate, maybe mixed with some brown sugar. The alcohol, which I didn't pick up at the nose, is very much present at the taste. This is very rich and has what I call a "pre-aged" flavor, meaning that it takes on that good, syrupy flavor that you get after aging a strong, complex stout.

Mouthfeel - This medium to full-bodied stout is slick in the mouth and very bitter. The big sugars take the bite out of the bitterness and the huge alcohol warms the throat. All the flavors play amazingly well in the mouth. This has what I consider to be a perfect balance of dark, bitter malts, light leafy hop dryness, mouth-puckering sugars, and a sharp but mature alcohol warmth.

Drinkability - This was beer, dinner, and dessert all rolled into one. It was incredibly drinkable for such a big ADS.

Comments - Do not age this beer. Drink as is for best results.

Update - It had been five years since I've had this beer before they started selling it in SoCal so thought I'd give my original review an update.

I wrote before about how dark and beautiful the head was but just can't emphasize it enough. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful heads I have ever seen and it sticks around for eternity. As you drink the beer the film leaves thick rings on the inside of your mug almost like ring on a tree bark.

The only other thing that I would add, which I mentioned at the end of my original review, is that although this style of beer is good for aging, this should be consumed upon purchase. You age a big, dark, malty beer like this to bring out the sugars but the sweets here are so well-developed that there's no need to hold this in a cellar.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 17oz snifter.

A - This beer is almost completely opaque, but not completely black. It pours a dark dark chocolate brown with visible viscosity. Even the head is dark, with the color and texture of a chocolate mousse. In true stout fashion, the head doesn't linger long, but the ring that persists leaves a lovely thick lacing. Everything about the presentation screams decadence.

S - Dark chocolate and coffee grounds are apparent even before taking a whiff. There's toffee and caramel mingling with some warm, scotchy aromas of smoke and booze.

T - Bitter coffee and baker's chocolate lead the onslaught, with a soft bed of sweet and toasty caramels quickly following. There's a peaty flavor reminiscent of a fine scotch that blends with cleverly masked but lingering alpha acids into something beautifully pungent and earthy. The sweetness is thoroughly satisfying, but never cloying. Let this beer slosh around your pallet and you could get lost in the subtly unfolding grains.

M - This is a heavy beer. Let me repeat that, this is a heavy beer. It fills the mouth and coats the tongue with a dense, oily sensation that positively commands you to stop and pay attention. Carbonation is present, and helps to buffer the sugars, but any tingle is absorbed with the sheer thickness of the malts. Drinking more than one is a herculean effort.

O - In a world overpopulated with coffee/chocolate/vanilla/cream etc stouts, a traditionally brewed stout that evokes all of those flavors with nothing but barley, hops, and yeast is a breath of fresh air. The Yeti exudes a regal, ancient quality, one that really evokes the halls of czarist Russia that gave the style its name. The generous allotment of American hops counteracts the overpowering sweetness that so many Impy Stouts have, and what results is a complex, sophisticated offering perfectly represents the style while pushing it in a new, more evolved direction.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a pitch black with no light shoowing thru even when held up to a strong light with a mocha colored creamy two fingered head that took its time to settle leaving a ring of lace behind.Big bitter chocolate aromas along with an underlying earthiness from a nice dose of hop thrown in obviously with a beer so dark you are also gonna get a big roasty aroma as well.What I like best about this beer is the fact its no overly sweet like a alot of Impy souts are sue u get the chocolate and roasted elemants but what a great earthy/dry fifnsh gives this beer such balance making it just so damn drinkable.Creamy mouthfeel this beer glides down easy,another gem from Great Divide their big beer kick immense ass and I will keep enjoying them.

Wow I thought this beer was categorized as a Imperial Stout but a double stout it is and rightly so,damn good.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz Bomber from Warehouse Liquors.

Appearance: Chocolate Velvet with assertive lacing. Pitch black. Dark brown head like the bottom of a cup of Turkish coffee. The bubbles are just plain fun to watch disperse after the pour. Like a herd of wildebeests crossing the Nile during Gator mating season, these little black-brown bubbles scatter from the head back into the brew from which they came.

Aroma: Tit bit of spice entwined in coffee and chocolate. Carmel macchiato sans crème. Blueberries.

Taste: More Blueberries then a Muffin shop in Maine. Plentiful amounts of coffee and chocolate. A pinch of juniper in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Like drinking a cloud. Wet bitter finish. Well hopped. Burns the tongue a little, it’s so bitter.

Drinkability: Great. To easy for 9.5 ABV.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Reviewed from notes written on 12/3/10.

Yeti pours scorched engine oil black with a fast disappearing, dark mocha head into my uber large snifter. When swirled and agitated a bit, the head returns and retains well. The lacing is rather sticky with vertical lines of small dots.

Very toasty malts and a strong hop presence lead me to smell notes of chewing tobacco. Really strong chewing tobacco. Other aromas include baseball glove leather, anise, cigar, dark chocolate, mocha-latte, and roasted peanuts. This is an original smell that makes me excited to imbibe.

At first, that chewing tobacco tang combines with a fine roasted malt flavor that really bombards the bitter receptors of my palate. I have to believe that that bitter tang is also the result of copious hops in this brew. As that initial tang washes away, a nice balance of toffee, coffe, and dark chocolate flavors emerge. Wow, this is right up there with Storm King for huge hop Character in an Imperial Stout.

A thrilling combination of bitter tang and a coating, rich fullness make for a very unique mouthfeel. It's just a little more aggressive than I would generally like in an IS MF, but I rate it high for excitement and originality.

I will certainly try Yeti again, but I might age my next bottle for awhile. This particular bottle had roughly seven months on it and it still felt raw and aggressive on my palate. I generally prefer slightly more mellow Imperial Stouts and I imagine this would turn into that with a little more bottle time.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle from DEC 06 2011

A: A black beer that pours with a finger of creamy, medium brown head made of mousse-like,compact bubble.

S: An awesome smelling beer with moderately-strong aromas of unsweetened chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. A moderately-light citrus hops aroma and light perfume alcohol aroma.

T: A thick, smooth moderately-strong flavors of unsweetened chocolate flavor, roastiness and coffee with some malt sweetness and molasses . There is a moderate hops bitterness and a citrus hops flavor. The balance is moderately towards the bitterness. The alcohol certainly does go unnoticed but it doesn't over well. The finish balanced between dry and sweet with a bitter chocolate aftertaste.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation that is made of fine bubbles give evne more of an impression of weight on the palate.

O: Well I've got a new favorite stout, it's been far to long since I've enjoyed a bottle of this world class stout. This beer has layers of rich flavor from dark grains giving chocolate and coffee with some sweetness the balanced by a firm hops bitterness. this beer just brings ton of flavor sip after delightful sip.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottled 11-23-09

Poured inky black with a big, creamy brown head.

Aromas of burnt cookies, gentle roast, coffee, and a pleasant, piney hoppiness.

Thick and robust with lots of roasty, bitter chocolate, wood, the alcohol is present but doesn't dominate, and the finish and dry and very bitter from the massive hop character. Classy, right along with the entire Yeti series.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Another cold day here in Chicago and I wanted to warm myself up. Picked this brew up at Binny's in the South Loop. Don't know that much about Great Divide but selected this because of it's reputation. The label would certainly not have enticed me but never judge a beer...

A: Poured from a bomber, I got a nice 2 finger head. Beautiful golden brown head that started clinging to the glass immediately. Slick and black looking liquid. A hint of red in the black and hardly a touch of ruby on the edges against the light - dense stuff. A thin head remained throughout and the lacing was fantastically fine.

S: Lovely deep, stale roasted malt. There's a caramel malt sweetness there too. I can smell the alcohol but it's not very dominating considering the ABV. Coffee came across dominantly in the roastiness but some tartness with the alcohol like black cherry.

T: First taste was a very big malt followed by a bite that wasn't a tart fruit, it was actually a hefty clout of hops. Very sour hop finish with a malt breadiness. Very nicely orchestrated progression and very enjoyable. When I have had brews that try to deliver massive malt and hop, one tends to dominate. With this brew, the malt is destined to win (because it's a Stout) but because the two play out at different times in the progression, you feel like they both get to have their 15 minutes of fame without butting heads. I think this qualifies it as well balanced in my book. I had a feeling that I would enjoy this as it warmed up and I wasn't wrong. Just got deeper and more malty but kept a nice hop bite that makes the finish active and leaves a hop aggressiveness in the mouth that then welcomes the return of the malt. This beer just really works for me.

M: Full bodied, smooth and creamy. Light on the carbonation. Perfect.

D: It's obviously a heavy beer but very drinkable - knocked it back way too quickly and felt the rosie cheeks and buzz. Would love to drink one after another but the high ABV makes that impossible.

I was starting to despair about not finding Stouts that I truly enjoyed but, I have broken my cold spell - this is my new go-to IRS.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at the Lost Dog Lounge in Ithaca, NY, inexplicably served in a plastic pint glass (whose shockingly effective insulation made it really, really hard to warm up).

Very thin dark tan head (par for the course on a Russian Imperial Stout with this much alcohol), but it definitely stuck around, even as I held my beer for twenty minutes or so to warm it up. Very nice lacing on the glass (well, plastic), and a dark, inky, opaque near-black.

Nice toffee and caramel aroma with some darker coffee and chocolate hiding back there. A little bit of herbal hops back there, too, and some nonspecific fruitiness. A big, pleasing smell overall.

Huge malty, toffee flavor, secondary on the chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is beautiful; the alcohol and hops take it from an incredibly sweet brew to a nice, crisp dryness that lingers with some herbal flavors. Definitely a big, thick brew that coats the mouth and the tongue; very satisfying.

Big, tasty, and gets a lot right as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, definitely consider this a food beer. The first time I had it (from a bottle, not on tap), it was with barbecued spare ribs, and it was just about the best beer/food combination ever. On its own, it's a little harder to down, especially because it's not as much of a dessert beer as something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Glugs out a black as dark as the Mariana Trench. Very nice malted milk-colored head. Smell's a touch weak, but what I can detect is nice. Taste is a little bitter, but sweet at the same time, with figgy raisin flavors dominating. Mouthfeel's creamy, but the aftertaste isn't the greatest. Alcohol is well hidden. Not that I'd gulp this down, but it's highly drinkable.

This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, very warming on a cold fall night/early morning. I think this beer and I are going to get to know each other much better as the weather grows colder.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured nearly opaque black with a nice and thick chocolate milk colored head on top. Very inviting and just what I wanted to see when I poured this one. Smell is mainly slightly sweet with malts and with some vinous aspects which add to the slight sweetness. The background is of coffee with light hints of chocolate. Could be a bit more powerful in the aroma department, but good none the less. Mmm…the taste is quite amazing and very complex. Initially there is a toasted malt flavor which quickly transitions over to a mild chocolate and finishes with a coffee aftertaste. This flavor profile covers all that I expect in an impy stout. Mouthfeel is full but not as creamy thick as other impy stouts I’ve had. Drinkability is good as well, but the slight biting effects of alcohol in this one brings it down a bit.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

22oz bomber bottle. 2003 Series.

Geezers Xmas! Pours a pitch black beer topped with a magnificent dark coffee coloured head. Loads of retention, heavy stick on the glass and an initial cascading effect that took me by surprise and hypnotized me briefly. Man, this beer simply looks gorgeous.

Aroma his the nose with strong notes of sherri, dairy, coffee, chocolate and hints of spice.

Luscious mouthfeel. So damn smooth! A bit chewy, thick and viscous. More notes of sherri, wood, coffee, chocolate and molasses. Malt profile is quite sweet. Alcohol is very present, with a sting and spice behind the malt. Some brief citric hop bitterness in the mix. Dry grain and a roasted malt/molasses twang in the finish.

Although this beer shows signs of much oxidation, and it's a 2003 reviewed in 2003, it's still quite good.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Big bottle with a mountain and the shadow from one of the Lost in Space characters on the front. Pours deep dark brown with a tan head with pinkish hues. I swear, it had a tinge of pink!!! Great aroma - roasted barley predominates but there's also toffee, malt sweetness, and some hoppiness in there as well. Diver down!

Starts with a "toasted Heath bar" flavor of dark cocoa, very dark toffee, and whiffs of alcohol across the tongue. Then it just sort of envelopes the mouth, with roasted barley, dark chocolate covered espresso beans, and the healthy, very firm bitterness that carries it home. Very, VERY tasty. The finish is where the alcohol shows up. vaporous and slightly hot but not offensively so. Very drinkable for such a big brew, with a moderately (not round-steak-medium-well-done) chewy mouthfeel.

Next time, I'm getting some espresso beans to go with this. Perfect dessert pairing.

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Black as tar, its trim head is also darkly tinged. The head could be fuller, and the head is so black I couldn't possibly see any floating intricacies, but it's a good-looking stout. It's black like black coffee, and tough like that. A plain and simple, dark-as-hell stout.

Sweet molasses and chocolate balls, this thing smells surprisingly good. It's got the alluring sweetness of a milk stout with an imperial alcohol emmanating from its surfaces. The beer smells creamy...creamy and malty. It's a melted malted milkshake. With a beer like this, I acknowledge I was biased because it came in a normal 12oz. bottle. The smell of this thing, however, makes me think it comes under wax.

I know there's a chocolatey version, but I was honestly expecting more chocolate on the taste. It's a quality imperial that tastes like a sweet milk stout. Maybe that candy shop nose I got is more cream and buttery sugar than chocolate. It'll help drinkability, but I really don't taste a burn I expect from a 9.5%er. The alcohol is more of a smell and a feel than a taste, and I bet a lot of people like that. Where I thought the smell could fit under wax, the taste is too simply creamy to connote complexity. It's novel with its sweetness contrasted to its strength, but its taste is not that much different from your regular cream stout.

The mouthfeel is sweet, but not it's in line with what I expect from a Russian Imperial Stout. I mean really, there's a creamy carbonation to this Russian Imperial Stout. It's kinda cool, and I continuously wonder how this beer could be so strong. The aftertaste gives you a little bit of the alcohol feel, but I want that warming effect within the taste. It's weird to detract from the rating for something like this, but this beer should taste stronger.

So, if a 9.5% RIS can go down as silkily smooth as a sweet milk stout, that means it's a drinkable beer. I'm probably spoiled by all the good stouts coming out of North Carolina, but this isn't one to which I'll repeatedly run. It's good and all but, in salute to true beer snobbery, it's not a very special Russian Imperial Stout.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours an opaque motor oil black. It has a good sized creamy head that is very dark brown. The head quickly goes to a bubbly film and collar that laces the glass.

The aroma is lactose, chocolate, some bitter hops, wood, and anise. There's also some dark fruits and alcohol.

The flavor is anise, lactic cream, coffee, chocolate and some fruitiness. It has a pretty sharp burnt bitter finish that leaves a slight sticky aftertaste. It's well balanced between the sweet and the bitter (tending a little more towards bitter), and the alcohol is well hidden (yet belly warming). The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Overall, similar to the oak aged version, but I liked this much better. It was a little more tamed in terms of alcohol and bitterness. One of the best imperials I've had to date. It's still a tad rough around the edges...I bet this would age nicely.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Beautiful dark and guinesslike appearance, with a great chocolate/medium brown head that quickly reduced down to a thin ring. Amazing scents of a sherry/port... warm and oaky... maltiness in the background. Medium mouthfeel, not too heavy, just right. Dark and lovely flavors, and freakin yummy! Black coffee, chocolate malts, oaky whiskey, bit of vanilla... Easy drinking for us stout lovers! Very good overall!

3.21/5  rDev -23.8%

Got this bottle in Mass after Kate Day, shared it with my wife
couldn't read the bottle on date on any of the bottles in the store
e
The beer pours dark with a very dark head. The head forms big and hugs the glass. It is dark tan and very small bubbles.

The is surprisingly full of hops. Chocolate and roasted malts take a back burner to the hops upfront. it is a unique but i want more roasted and maltyness.

It starts with a huge alcohol bite i've hd 13% that were less alcoholic then this. Roasted and chocolate malts enter with a thick creaminess. It finishes with a huge amount of alcohol feel and roasted on the tongue leaving a dry very grain taste.

This is a great beer to drink with something, I had chili, as the dry taste is a little off. i could see how aging would improve this beer. Last note is that this beer is all over the place I appreciate where this beer goes but i don't think i will follow

3.31/5  rDev -21.4%

The look was beautiful dark color with a light foam.
The taste was BITTER. It grew on me but it was not something I would necessarily come back to.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

22 oz brown bomber with a vintage date of 2003 on the label. Not to worry, @ 9.5% ABV this beer should age well.

Appearance: Pitch-black colour. A thick rise of brown foam wants to gush over, nice web like trail of lace down the glass.

Smell: Creamy vanilla, creamed coffee, vague berry fruitiness and a mild alcohol presence. Aromatic yet mellow.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very creamy on the palate, smooth and slick in the mouth within the heavy full body. Soft charcoal, roasted twang and espresso. Balanced hopping with a mild citric flavour in the finish. More soft roasted character in the finish with a layered sweetness. Bit of yeast in the end and a drying roasted husk as well.

Notes: Without a doubt a tasty brew, tame but I like it that way. The alcohol sneaks up on you and there are so many subtle complexities to deal with that it makes it so worth the while.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%

Served in a snifter @ 59 degrees. Pours the color of Hershey’s chocolate syrup, with a creamy head the resembles an over cooked flan. Completley opaque, and dense. Truck loads of Americn hop aroma. Grapefruit, and evergreen to be precise. Burnt sugar, carmel, dried fruits are apparent. Each drink is bliss. The hop character starts with ’shock and awe’ type attack, then a big slap of rich dark chocolate takes the middle, and finishes like a bitter cup of gas station joe with chocolate flavoring. Top that off with a mouthfilling body, and a slight alcohol burn, and you have a staple beer for any stout lover.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Never heard of this one before I decided to take it off the shelf and put it into my cart in Lexington, Ky., Friday afternoon. Slightly chilled, now, I pour this 2003 edition, bomber into an imperial pint glass. Pours a darkest ebony, with an eternal, brown head that exhibits garnet hues at the fringes. Massive sheets of cocoa lace coat the glass. Very impressive.

Cocoa and charcoal aromas were distracting me during the pour, from three feet away. Almond nuttiness, dark fruits, and a hint of anise add additional pleasantries to the complex nose.

Mouthfeel reveals a full bodied, creamy, rich character. A bitter, nutty, hop zing is present in the back of the mouth.

Roasty grain jumps on the palate at the first sip. Cocoa, wood smoke, and nutty almond immediately jump into the arena. Coffee is noticeably missing, but is picked up, faintly, in the background. Figs and dates emerge midway through, and add another complexity. 75 IBUs here, and provide a balance that is pleasantly almond in its nutty bitterness. 9.5 abv is well hidden in the flavor and aroma, but lends a pronounced warming effect.

Excellent, imperial stout here, even without the coffee notes. This goes down incredibly smooth, with the smoked almond chocolate bar flavor providing a unique, and highly enjoyable result. The dark fruits and anise add even more beguiling character to this excellent stout. Very well crafted, and highly recommended by this reviewer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Bomber bottle w/o any freshness indication. Pours jet black, with a dark tan head, and leaving fine, longlasting and scattered lacing. Nose is all about rum soaked raisins, honey rolls and hazelnut-vanilla coffee. Rich, bold, flavorfull brew, loaded with notes of rum, coffee, maple etc, etc. Top quality sipper. 9.5% hid expertly. Wish I had bought two bottles!

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle date May 2011
Pours a quarter finger of a milk chocolate creamy head. Blackish brown body with mahogany coming through at the edges.

Smells of milk and dark chocolate, coffee, roast, fruity esters and some sweet carmel.

Tastes of dark chocolate, rum raisins, carmel, coffee. Alcohol is well hidden. Some fruity notes are mixed in, probably from the english yeast. The finish is lightly bitter with a sharp acrid roast which detracts from the overall beer quite a bit for me.

Medium full bodied, low carbing. Quite smooth and creamy on the finish.

Overall this is a tasty RIS, big chocolate and roast with some nice fruity qualities. Again the roasty acrid note on the finish detracts from the overall beer. I'll try it again to see if it was a batch variation.
$3.50 a single.

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: one inch light chocolate head, dark brown in color

Smell: toated malt, sugar, and chocolate

Taste: dark chocolate, expresso, burnt malt, wood, cream

Mouthfeel: heavy, smooth, semi-sweet, chewy

Drinkability: I will only be having one due to high abv, but this is very good. I will get this again. This is easily in the top 1/4 of the style that I have had.

to view more.