Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 5,007
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured black and smelling citirc with yeast, coffee and chocolate notes. Alcohol too. The taste was of bitter chocolate, coffee, ashes, sweet fruits and alcohol. It's a well-crafted beer but a little to strong for my palate. Yeti is very sensitive to temperature and should not be consumed too cold since it will make the alcohol dominate the taste.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

I have a soft spot for cryptozoology, so its name piqued immediately. This was my first sampling from the Great Divide Brewing Company. A pretty good test to how tall this company stands. Yeti provides an excellent serving of hops to its Imperial Stout tradition. A dark, frothy ale best served cold and as soon as purchased. Personally, I enjoy it right before a movie in bed.

22oz bomber bottle.

Overall I wasn't very impressed with this stout. It is definitely not a crap beer by any means, but it is too thick and the alcohol is too strong in the taste.

A: Nice dark coffee and chocolate appearance, not a great head though.

S: My first whiff was alcohol, molasses, chocolate and coffee, good smell.

T: I was disappointed with the taste, the alcohol is a little too strong, making it almost a syrupy in taste, too thick even for an Imperial Stout. Maybe it's just not my beer, Rogue's Chocolate stout is much better. This isn't a bad beer, I just think the alcohol overpowers this brew.

M: I did like the Mouthfeel, very creamy, very well done.

D: One is enough for me, I definitely wouldn't drink two or more.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer pours black as ink, like motor oil. No color may be seen even when held to the light, except a deep red at the edges; the beer remains jet black. Little head, but what there is stays till the very end, as a fine lace that coats the glass. Going nowhere. The beer itself also coats the glass, very much like motor oil, with a syrupy thickness and a yellow-brown color.
Smells just like bittersweet chocolate to me. That is the dominant aroma, but the hops are right behind like they should be with an imperial stout. Very exciting smell; I can't wait to taste it.
Taste follows the smell as expected. What is not expected is that it is surprisingly light-bodied. Syrupy, yes, and sticky in my mouth; but not thick at all. I taste bittersweet chocolate and caramel, and it is quite hoppy at the finish. Lingers for quite some time, with a mouth-puckering bitterness. I would give this a 4 to 4.5 on drinkability but only if you truly appreciate this style; a 3.5 at best if you don't (which I guess applies to most styles of beer). My conclusion is: very good example of an imperial stout. I appreciate it a great deal. But make sure you like imperial stouts or of course you won't like this.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle date of May 11, 2010.

Nice black appearance and a thick brown head that leaves nice lacing. A good looking stout.

Smells very roasty, chocolately, and somewhat sweet.

All of the above smells are prevalent in the taste, but there are a ton of hops in this stout. Both taste and bittering hops. I love hops, so this was good for me. However, I don't like as many hops in my stouts as other brews.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel but nothing special.

I split a bomber and that was enough for me. I would buy more of this, but if I want a hoppy stout I will buy Old Rasputin, which is a bargain and more reliable. I will buy a couple more bottles to age for a couple years, which I think will do this brew well.

I also have had the oaked version of this brew and prefer it to the original. It is more smooth. I have nothing against this brew at all. In fact, it is great but I prefer others.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Good double/imperial stout (I'm not sure what the difference is). Pours an extrodinary deep black color, decent head to start, but it receeds quickly. Aroma is of straight up black patent roasted malt. Taste is similar to aroma, mostly the roasted burnt flavor of roasted malt coming into play, with a bit of an alcohol hit. Mouthfeel is a good bit thin and overcarbonated for a double/imperial stout. Not a bad one, but not a bit one dimensional on the roasty flavors for me.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz. bomber with no date into a nonic.

A: Syrupy black with no light penetration through the glass capped with a light brown fluffy head thick head that could hold a quarter up.

S: Sweet smelling, almost like Bailey's Irish cream. A refreshing chocolate milk mixed with maple syrup and a heavy dose of alcohol.

T: The palate is sweet to start, with chocolate and caramel characteristics; then comes the espresso, lots of it. It literally coats your tongue. You finally get the alcohol kick in the back of the throat. Bitterness is present in the form of hops towards the end, as well.

M: Thick and syrupy, with medium to heavy carbonation. This is not a beer for wusses.

D: 1 bomber is more than enough for a sitting.

Great beer from the Divide.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Had this back to back to Old Rasputin and the czar is a touch better. I'm first hit by a clean grainy, pale malts aroma back up by cocoa. Definitely less bitterness and smoother than OR, but that's not necessarily good or bad. There a little citrus rind from hops hidden in the back. Flavor grows as the beer warms, but like OR I never found a fantastic complexity. It drinks smooth for the strength, but it's still thick and a bit tough to finish.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

After a thorough inspection, I can ascertain that this beer is completely black, no slivers or tinges of color anywhere. The head was also impressive, with a chocolate brown hue and big, dark bubbles, but unfortunately it didn't last long. The nose is heavy on the sweet coffee malt with hints of caramel and toffee and a strong dose of hop balance.

The first sip reveals a strong, almost tastebud overwhelming flavor of hops railing against the traditional coffee and roasted malt. Alcohol is present and accounted for and layers heavily on every sip. Mouthfeel is thick and oily and the aftertaste lasts forever. A rea nice beer bbut I could stand a touch less on the boozeometer and just let the taste shine through on it's own...

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Presentation: Split a bomber bottle with a friend. Poured into a snifter glass. Bottled on date of March 2010.

Appearance: Midnight black with an equally dark, almost black, two finger head. Very good retention.

Aroma: Baker's chocolate and espresso notes. Very roasted and bitter. A slight bit of citrus rind in there as well.

Taste: Really deep and bitter espresso notes dominate throughout. Some dark chocolate and citurs plays in a little toward the back. Really flavorful and really bitter.

Mouthfeel: Really full bodied and creamy. Very suitable for a sipper.

Drinkability: The extreme bitterness from the roasted malt makes this one hard to have more than a couple of.

Overall, a nice stout where the bitterness too often dominates and the backing flavors aren;t allowed to shine. I prefer the Chocolate and Espresso versions of this much more than the base beer. Certainly worth a try and a good candidate for cellaring in my opinion.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Picked this brew up the other day and thought that I would give it a try last evening. Brew poured to a pitch black color with a thick frothy dark tan head that head great retention and left chinky lacing down the side of the glass, nice looking brew. The aroma really showed of the hops, I was expecting this based on some research but it was a little more than I even expected. The other aromas where roasted to burn malt (charcoal?) , coffee (slight expresso like), and alcohol. The flavor follows the aromas as the big hop flavor really seems to dominate for me. Also in the background the malt comes out that seems astringent and that mixed with the hops seems a little to much for me. Also expresso/coffee favors really show. As it warms the alcohol comes out more and more giving a slightly burning feel. The feel of the brew is good, thick with a slight slick feel, creamy. For me the hopping of this brew is a little to much, I am not a hop head and would love to see what this brew would be like with that hop presence muted a bit. Still a good brew, but (at least for me) not a great one in my book.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Purchased 11-'09. Consumed 2-'10 in a pint glass.

A - Low dark head. The foam on this beer was like a chocolate milkshake with a bit of blood. I'm not kidding. It was dark mocha and crimson. The beer itself was a mystifying light trapping dark black coffee color. Opaque. Plenty of yeasty sediment at the bottom of the glass. And symmetric hula-hoop lacing slides down the side of the glass.

S - Meaty German hops. Very fragrant. The hop they use is unmistakable. The obvious use of roasted malts are hidden and all the yummy yeast you can't find at all. Even after warming the smell didn't change much. If anything it became more meaty and bestial. Livestock.

T - Smokey charcoal with roast malt. Lots of chocolate malt and a hint of vanilla at the beginning. At first it's a bit sweet, then bitter....then bitter again. Then a bit more bitter. Good but lacks complexity for me.

M - Smooth. So smooth and creamy. This is they way beer was meant to be.

D - Good, but I was hoping for a lot mroe from an Imperial stout. Lacks complexity of smell and flavor. No 5's here sadly.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Pours a deep DARK jet black color (no light passing through this one!) with a nice initial chocolaty head but lacking in retention. Consistency looks pretty viscous when swirled in glass.

S: very aggressive floral hoppy smell, if blindfolded could easily be mistaken for an IPA or DIPA. slight alcoholic aroma with a somewhat noticeable sweetness

T: Well not surprisingly this is quite intense on the hops and a little bitter with some burnt tones. Kinda lingers in the throat with mild but noticeable alcoholic aftertaste. If you're a hop head you'll love this beer! Personally, not for me but it more than less fits the style guidelines.

M: medium to high carbonation, noticeable alcoholic "burn".

D: Pretty high ABV, mostly hoppy. First time trying this - wouldn't buy it again.

I've had better RIS' and this one just lacks in complexity, smoothness and balance that I like to see in a RIS. Too hoppy - I can't really taste anything else. This is more of a black IPA.

While I wouldn't buy this again, I will try to cellar this and age it at least a year and try the oak aged version...

12oz. bottle provided by AKSmokedPorter via BS-BIF

Pours a used motor oil black with a thick chocolate head that fades. Nice lacing on the glass.

Quite a robust aroma of dark roasted grains and earthy hops with some hints of sweet malt. Hints of chocolate are also present.

An immediate taste of sweet malt that rushes into a dark rosated grain flavor. This is followed by a big bitter hop bite and finishes with a blend of hops and roated malt. A slight alcohol presence in the aftertaste. Seems on the young side.

Big full body, slick and smooth.

No problems consuming the bomber. I think that with some age, this will become even better as the flavors have more time to mesh. I look forward to trying the Oak Aged version.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Jet black with a tan head. Nice lace.

S: Not a lot of odour. Mainly hop bitterness.

T: Bittersweet. Dark caramel, a little tar, plenty of american hop bitterness.

M: Very syrupy, slightly oily, full body, moderate carbonation.

The oak-aged version is smoother, with considerably more depth. This one's a good double stout, but not great.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

Had this on draft at Thai Nine Restaurant in Dayton. Served in a tulip glass.

A: Rich, dark and thick with a generous foamy brownish/tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

S: Coffee and roasted malts in the aroma.

T: Huge coffee flavor with notes of charcoal and burnt toast in the finish that nicely lingers for a long time.

M: Very thick full bodied and chewy in the mouth with low carbonation.

D: Very much a sipping beer, and I can see this on a cold winter's night. But the coffee flavor was dominant for me, and maybe a bit too much for my particular taste to enjoy this on a regular basis. I even asked the bartender if by chance this was the expresso oak-aged version of Yeti, but as far as we could tell, it was not. Still a wonderful full flavored imperial stout.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

Had always wanted to drink this beer, just with so many choices out there it took me awhile to get to around to it. Not quite what I was expecting.

Poured into a Stone snifter where it produced a beautiful 2+ finger, highly frothy, ashy bronzed head. Deep brown nearly black body, massive amounts of thick lacing encompasses the glass.

Strong hop profile, other scents include chocolate malts and molasses. Besides the hops the beer seemed to lack much of a punch in the smell department.

As the smell indicated, LOTS of hops that blend fairly well with the bitter sweet chocolate. Following the initial flavor some great subtle undertones of malt and molasses poke through. I only wish they were more pronounce. Upon completion of the beer, I found the hops were the standout feature, love them in pale ale's, but they were too strong for my type of stouts.

Fairly heavy, silky smooth, low carbonation

Many other stouts I would reach for before this one. However, I do plan on trying the rest of their Yeti line up, hoping for the best.

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Whoa: I think the label says something about being intense and Great Divide isn't lying. Pours like a syrupy black-coffee. Not an overwhelming amount of head from this one--somewhat surprisingly--but it does have "off the charts" lacing. Taste is intensely dark, roasty, smoky, espresso-like, with some upfront sweetness and a lasting coffee bitterness at the close. Mouthfeel is very creamy and full; Filling and a pretty respectable kick to it. (I don't think I could drink more than 1, even if I were a huge fan.) In the end, probably not enough sustained and counterbalancing sweetness to really win me over as a big-time proponent, but I will give GD a thumbs-up for coming up with something that definitely makes a statement + has me extremely interested to try some of their other offerings: The oak-aged chocolate version of this will be on my wants list for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into Chimay chalice. Bottled January 2010

A- Pours black as night with a thick, luscious dark mocha colored head, about a fingers worth. The heads sticks around for awhile and leaves some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Big amounts of roasted malts, brown sugar, dark chocolate and a hint of cinnamon. A little bit of black licorice mixes with the alcohol and becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

T- Rich roasted malts greet the tongue followed by some bitter coffee and dark chocolate. The alcohol comes out earlier than it did in the nose but I am still able to pick up black licorice and just a hint of brown sugar.

M- Thick. The beer just coats the tongue. You can feel the carbonation initially on the tip of the tongue but fades after that. A little heat on the back of the throat from the alcohol.

D- The flavors were a little more mellow that the nose would have led me to believe. The alcohol becomes more apparent as it warms but doesn't deter. A pretty good beer to warm you up on a chilly fall night in Wisconsin.

A- Pours a dark muddy color with decent 1 finger head

S-Smells of roasted coffee with hints of tabacco an carmel

T-HAs roasted malts up front with some chocolate carmel notes in the middle then finishes with a almost tobacco feel

M-Medium bodied with ok carbonation

D-Overall this is a good beer. But at times i felt like i was drinking a stout beer while i was smoking a cigarette. The tabacco flavor came through too much sometimes but still a good beer!

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle poured black with a creamy tan head Aromas of alcohol, roasted malt and chocolate .Creamy full mouth feel. The flavor starts off sweat and roasted malts but finishes up with the strong hops bitter. almost to bitter for me I have an oaked age one of these in the cellar I’m waiting to get up the courage to give it a try

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz bottle poured in a goblet. Bottled on October 30, 2008.

A: Pours like motor-oil with a pitch-black body. Two-finger tan head.

S: Lots of roasted malts and unsweetened chocolate.

S: A rich roasty flavor with some nice chocolatey notes. However, the hops are a bit too prominent even at eight months, and there's a bit of an alcohol burn.

M: Thick and creamy.

D: I'm going to go ahead and say that this is a notch below the oak aged version. The components are there, but it needs some time to age for it to all come together.

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Bomber poured into my Meantime snifter, Yeti is pitch black with a burnt tan/light brown head, large, dense and long lasting, leaving sticky lace.

Smell is strong, even at the colder serving temp, booze soaked cured fruits and roasted grains, chocolate, prominent citrus hops. Similar aroma from some of the black, west coast style IPAs, I like how citrus hops work with dark malts. As it warms, the chocolate really dominates, wow - this is definitely best served cellar temp or warmer nose wise, although taste suffers once it hits room temp, too astringent with the booze and roast.

Taste is very robust, big maltiness and bright hoppy backbone. Roasty and dry, with a bitter, ashy finish. Not bad, awfully assertive.

Mouthfeel is thick, with a full carbonation

Drinkability is pretty good, even for what I assume is a pretty young beer, just judging by the big hop presence - I just grabbed from my local store's cooler this afternoon. Lots of flavors, they could use rounding out for sure, but it is nice to taste them so overtly. Nevertheless, it's a long commitment to finish the bomber unless your forcing yourself.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2003 Bottle: This Imperial pours a thick syrupy black with a dark brown head. Nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma consists of coffee, caramel and hops. Rich bodied and overly bitter for my tastes. The label boasts of the hoppiness of this beer at 75 IBUs, and it threw off the balance of it in my estimation. I learned that while I like hoppy beers I do not like hoppy Imperial Stouts. The bitterness overpowers the malt, roasted coffee and chocolate flavors that would otherwise make this more enjoyable. The finish remains bitter with hops and coffee. Overall this beer would be much better if the the scales were not tipped so far on the bitter side. The one saving grace is that by the time it really, really warmed the balance was noticeably better.

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%

Small capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

Pitch black with a minimal dark tan head, that leaves very little lacing.
A great aroma, mostly caramelized, with notes of alcohol, chocolate, coffee and hints of fruits.
Medium bodied, I expected a beer as balanced as the aroma, but there is an excessive amount of undisguised alcohol, and most of the caramel and coffee notes are "burnt".
It starts well, but the alcohol and excessive burnt notes get overwhelming quite fast. Disappointing.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company