Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,675 | Reviews: 1,680
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a slightly chilled 12ox bottle into a cheap Miller Lite pint glass. Pours sort dark chocolate brown with less than a half a finger of head. Lingered for a bit. Decent lacing throughout. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee and sugar..maybe molasses? First taste is really good. I do think it is molasses. Roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee. Really smooth and tasty. Hides the abv well. Aftertaste is much the same. Outstanding beer. Definitely buying more of this.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler to a pint glass
A: Pitch black (like black hole pitch black) with a one-finger mocha colored head that slowly settles to a thin lacing
S: Tons of coffee, burn sugar, toasted malts & molasses
T: Quite nice, filled with coffee, molasses, dark malts and fair touch of hops
M: Full-bodied, rich, and a VERY long finish
O: It may not be the right time of year for this, but seeing it on tap for the first time I had to pick up a growler and am very glad I did

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Enjoyed on draft in the Great Divide tap room while in Denver.

A: Pours a perfect deep dark black with a small but tight khaki colored head. Good retention with layer after layer of lace.

S: Nice charred malt up front with nice tones of bitter chocolate. Hints of molasses and coffee.

T: The taste is very rich and complex. Dark roasted malts and chocolate dominate. Hints of dark fruit peeks thru the bitter coffee in the middle. Bold bitter hops in the finish.

M: Medium in body very rich; downright smooth and creamy. Even better on draft than in a bottle.

D: Very good. I really enjoyed sitting in the tap room watching the brewers at work while sipping this gem.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

355ml Bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£6.60):
Another week, another excellent American brewed imperial stout. This one is like Larry Holmes trying to follow Muhammed Ali, while this one is very good in its own right it has a ridiculously hard act to follow in the shape of last weeks Bourbon County Stout. Despite this one not being quite in the same league as the bottle of Bourbon County that I tried last week this one is still an excellent beer & one that I'd consider picking up again were it a little more reasonably priced. The taste was definitely a good one, perhaps a little heavy on the alcohol with this one surprisingly seeming stronger than the 15% Bourbon County. I enjoyed this one & I'm anxious to get my hands on a bottle of the Oak Aged version at some point to see how it compares to this one

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

This is a seriously dark beer, absolutely no light getting through this one. There was a 1" creamy tan head on top of the black body. The smell was great, very complex, earthy, piney and floral hops with some dark chocolate and roasted malt. The taste starts off bitter, like dark chocolate, then the bitter piney hops, then some plum flavors sweeten it up and it leave a bitter aftertaste. It has a medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. Very filling so it is a sipper, but that is good, as it warmed up the smells and flavors were amplified.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

22oz bottle poured into snifter.

I have had this beer many times and thought I would put a little something on 'paper'. I make a point to keep my cellar stocked with all versions of Yeti. This black as night beer gives you a very nice mocha brown head that accompanies you through the rest of your glass. Roasted chocolate, coffee, sweet sugars are the smell. The taste follows the nose, delicious. The sweetness isn't too overbearing and is perfectly balanced with the hops, just enough bitterness to notice but not in your face. This heavy beer is super creamy and so easy to drink. The only bad part is that you'll want to drink as much as possible, which, with an ABV pushing 10%, might not be a great idea! Amazing beer.

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins for US$5.99

It pours from 22oz bottle a very dark brown, almost black, and it has a very nice tannish head of foam to go with it. The foam stays right through the session as a solid thin layer and it has some nice sticky lacing.

The smell is complex. I get lots of chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, toffee and a touch of vanilla. It's been years since I've last had this and I forgot how well of a nose it had.

The taste is complex as the nose. Big caramel malt is the first thing I notice but I can also tast some dark chocolate and coffee and there's a nice fruity kick to it as well...black cherries comes to mind. And oh yeah, I get some warming with the swallow but hey, it's a pretty strong character at 9.5% so I kind of expected it. Nice, slow sips and I'll be alright. ;^)

It has a great mouthfeel to it and the carbo is lightly done...good combination for an RIS in my book. Btw, the hops are there as well and it gives the brew a nice bitter punch most notably in the finish. Very nice brew and 1 I'd visit again more often now that I'm reaquainted with it.

Bottom line: An excellent example of the style and I highly recommend it!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle to snifter
bottled on jan of 08 ( just over 2 years old)
A: black, thin brown head that last 2 minutes. amazing lacing
S: awesome mellow chocolate lots going on here
T: coffee, roasted barley, dark malts, a small touch of the hops.
M: thick, low carbonation coats the pallet, smooth and balanced. this one is great.
D: I could put down a few. this a awesome drinking beer and is way better aged a bit, as I had one on draft a few weeks ago, this one is far superior. the balance is perfect.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Poured into a snifter a jet black with a couple of centimetres of light brown head. A bit of lacing is left behind.
S - Smell is chocolate roasty backed up by some dark fruit notes.
T - Chocolate and coffee come through with the taste. A bit of burnt roastiness, touches of dark fruit also in the taste. Some warming alcohol.
M - Quite full bodied, fairly low carbonation.
D - Very tasty RIS. High ABV% is fairly well hidden. Something to savour over an hour or so.

A cellared,2007 bottle poured into pint glass

Poured a dark black with purple bubbles coming through a tan, one-inch head
Wow! Surprising strong hop aroma covering a dark coffee/chocolate essence

Taste-Wow again! Big hops up front, full bodied and very complex with a melding of espresso coffee and dark fruits. Delicious!

Overall a delicious addition of strong hops that add a great dimension to this Russian Imperial
A must if you dig this style of beer
Get some!!!

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Let me start off by saying that I don't think I've ever seen a beer with a head this dark, just straight up brown layer of bubbles. Ale is completely black and poured like motor oil. Awesome and slightly intimidating to behold. Laces the glass like crazy.

Aroma is cocoa and light smoke, with a murky background of malt and biscuit. Some fruit comes through in the flavor, even a little vanilla, but predominantly chocolate and light smoke. Mouthfeel is insanely thick, like a melted milkshake, lightly carbonated, and the finish is bitter, but balanced by the huge malts.

Overall, totally kickass. Yeti. Rawrrr!

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Black as the abyss with a dark sticky head. The smell is roasty and a lot hoppier than I had anticipated. The taste is huge and complex like an Imperial Stout should be! Bittersweet chocolate, caramel and toffee, then finally a big, musty, dry, woody finish. It doesn't have that currant flavor that a lot of RISs do. Velvety texture and so drinkable you need to be careful that the Yeti's 9.5% ABV doesn't unleash your untamed side. Superior lacing, as well. Every sip is a little different. The hops are more noticeable as it warms.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a snifter. Been down and out with a nasty lung infection so I have only drank three beers in three weeks! Gotta catch up....

A - pours a jet black with a nice  foamy 2 finger creamy head that leaves lacing that doesn't go anywhere. Beautiful!

S - the nose is very powerful even after just getting over being sick they come out huge. Earthy hops and chocolate dominate followed by more licorice then in usual stouts. A nice wave of roasted malt and coffee lurk around as well. Soy sauce notes at room temperature at the end of the bomber.

T - lot of chocolate malt here, without a doubt top 5 chocolate forward stouts I have ever had. Huge on hops, too. And licorice. If stouts like old Rasputin are too hop-forward for you then stay away here. I'll have more of this to myself! Vanilla notes as it  warms.

M - medium and creamy, good carbonation. Alcohol is hidden very well and the high malt bill keeps the initial twang in check. Very well crafted.

D - did they use Kent Goldings as the bittering on these? I keep getting that vibe more and more as it warms. Anyway, drinkability is very good and I am glad this comes in a bomber because more and more flavors present themselves as temperatures change.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Finally had a bomber of this at Fatheads in the south side! Been looking to get it for a while.

A - Nice imperial pitch black color with a decent head with an aggressive pour.
S - Smells of very slight chocolate, caramel, and molasses.
T - Holly alchohol! I haven't had a stout hit me this hard since Dragons milk. Taste of harsh (and almost overbearing) bourbon like flavor with a slight coffee taste in the background. Chocolate as well but it's hard to detect over the burn.
M - Heavy and chewy a nice thick stout.
D - I appreciate the art of brewing in bourbon barrels and this is true to this but I really can't ever get used to strong bourbon flavor in a beer. I really need to find the oak aged version...

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Pure, opaque black in color. Rocky, pitted deep bister head leaves muddled, tattered lace. Beautiful. Suggestions of rum splashed grapefruit along with rich, milk chocolate coated crushed coffee bean upfront in aroma. Swirling releases stately wafts of anise and fermented prune. Incipient in flavor is an agreeably brash suggestion of bitter espresso and quinine, softened only slightly by a backdrop of sweet fudge. Bitterness subsides promptly though, allowing notes of chocolate covered candied orange peel and dark toffee to arise and provide contrast. Becomes more raisin like in fruit character as it breathes, with orange hints fleeting. Underbaked gooey brownie hints surface as well, but sweetness never becomes overbearing, as it held in check by stalwart bitterness, both roasted barley and hop derived. Moderate in body, but aptly dextrinous to support the malt profile. Thins a bit late, with light mocha hints supplanting the fudge presence. Finishes with transient snap of black currant yielding to lingering bitter and smokey roasted grains. A delicious imperial with a tingling, firm bitterness offset by an enveloping, velvety cocoa tone. This could age incredibly, but I'd never have the willpower. Thanks to Bighuge for sending fine brew.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

I'm just now getting into stouts. I was biased because I'm not really a Guinness fan. Here goes!

I'm pouring from a 1pt 6oz bottle at 54.3 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

As far as appearance, this is a beautiful beer! Completely black with a very thick, frothy, two-finger head. The head is a light brown that sticks around. It reminds me of soy sauce, the way it pours.

The smell is overwhelmingly hoppy. The bottle boasts a large amount of hops and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in that aspect of this beer. I detect a little sweetness going on, maybe toffee or chocolate.

I'm a little apprehensive to taste this one. I've only heard good things, from fellow BA's as well as my trusted beer store employees. This one takes me by surprise! I was right about the toffee and chocolate, but there's also a heavy coffee influence. At 9.5abv, I thought I would be able to taste the alcohol more, but I'm pleasantly surprised! The alcohol is still there, but there's so much more going on in my mouth that it's more of a side note than a distraction! VERY well done!
Starts with a little bitterness, but moves to a very smooth, woodsy hoppiness that is complimented nicely by the roasting! Wow. Wow....wow!

The carbonation reminds me of a nitrogen pushed beer (Belhaven, Guinness), but not as thick. Very smooth, though a little thick for how heavy the beer is. Maybe its just me, but I like the contrasy of heavy, yet watery beers (see Guinness 250).

As far as drinkability, I would say I like this one more than I like most stouts I've tried, though that list is very short. I will buy more of this one, but mostly because I want to drink it with friends and share its uniqueness with them.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Black. Absolutely black. No color. No highlights around the edges. No light peering through during the iPhone flashlight test. A liquid black hole with a creamy crown the shade of raw sugar. Unreal amounts of burnt caramel colored lacing down the glass. Everything I want to see in a RIS.

S: Slightly bitter. Dark roasted malts, pure cocoa powder, heavy molasses, light hints of dark roasted coffee. An unexpected whiff of citrus hop presence underneath adds a bit of a unique and pleasant touch.

T: The taste follows suit near perfectly with the nose, except that everything is more powerful on the tongue than it was in the nose. Not super complex, but it doesn't need to be. With a flavor profile this decadent and well-executed, who needs something over-the-top? Not me.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, decadent, viscous, all without being too overwhelming. This is a slow-drinker, but definitely still goes down easy.

O: I see this around A LOT and I've recently been trying to stop myself from IPA binging, so I decided to grab something different that seems to be a crowd favorite. Two sips in, I understand the praise. This is one serious stout! It's nothing overly complex, but when you execute flavors THIS well, who needs off-the-wall recipes? I tip my hat to the folks at Great Divide, for they've hit it out of the park with this imperial stout.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Jet-black, thick pour. Beautiful thick dark-brown chocolate milkshake head. Very impressive appearance. Head gradually subsides to leave lots of beautiful lacing. Top marks here. To a stout fan, it is a thing of beauty.

Rich smell of roasted malt. Somewhat bitter, earthy, lots of coffee scent. Some hint that reminds me of soy sauce.

Dark, rich flavor, really a treat. Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Raisins, molasses, currants. Very nice combination of flavors, indeed. The alcohol is present and mildly warming, but not dominant. Aftertaste is somewhat bitter, but in a really good way.

Rick, thick and chewy. Everything I look for in an Imperial Stout.

Very good drinkability. Not top marks here, because of the bitter aftertaste that, while generally exceptional in flavor, would limit my ability to enjoy more than one of these.

Now, the question is, do I spring for the Oak-Aged Yeti to compare the two? Based on how much I enjoyed this tasting, I think I will, so this is a definite two thumbs up in my book.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

This bad-boy poured a jet black with a large, thick head that was off-white. It tends to stick to the glass a bit before dripping back down into the body. Very creamy and solid. The smell was roasted throughout: coffee, chocolate, malts, with a bit of a burnt character. The taste was exceptionally rich with a light burn on the finish as the roasted nuttiness fills the mouth. Very thick and creamy in the mouth as if a generous portion of whipped cream was added to the mix. Warms the body as it goes down. For an exceptionally rich taste and character, it still remains quite drinkable. Good, well-crafted stuff here.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Another successful foray into the Beers of Fame!!! Poured into a pint glass...dense black color with no light getting through. A big dark tan head...as dark as 10 Fidy with good retention. Plenty of lacing on the glass. A really great looking beer.

Smell is good, not great. Provides an indication of the chocolate and roasted malts coming up...also lets you know that there is both a hops and an alcohol presence as well.

Taste is really good. Chocolate and roasted malts predominate. Some coffee, earthy hops in there as well. Very good taste, a nice blend of flavors, most importantly not too sweet!!!!

Mouthfeel is rich, the alcohol level is ok but cuts the richness. Hops provide a little bite and keep the beer from being cloying.

This is a really good RIS. A pity that Great Divide will no longer distribute in Tidewater VA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company