Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Black as the abyss with a dark sticky head. The smell is roasty and a lot hoppier than I had anticipated. The taste is huge and complex like an Imperial Stout should be! Bittersweet chocolate, caramel and toffee, then finally a big, musty, dry, woody finish. It doesn't have that currant flavor that a lot of RISs do. Velvety texture and so drinkable you need to be careful that the Yeti's 9.5% ABV doesn't unleash your untamed side. Superior lacing, as well. Every sip is a little different. The hops are more noticeable as it warms.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a snifter. Been down and out with a nasty lung infection so I have only drank three beers in three weeks! Gotta catch up....

A - pours a jet black with a nice  foamy 2 finger creamy head that leaves lacing that doesn't go anywhere. Beautiful!

S - the nose is very powerful even after just getting over being sick they come out huge. Earthy hops and chocolate dominate followed by more licorice then in usual stouts. A nice wave of roasted malt and coffee lurk around as well. Soy sauce notes at room temperature at the end of the bomber.

T - lot of chocolate malt here, without a doubt top 5 chocolate forward stouts I have ever had. Huge on hops, too. And licorice. If stouts like old Rasputin are too hop-forward for you then stay away here. I'll have more of this to myself! Vanilla notes as it  warms.

M - medium and creamy, good carbonation. Alcohol is hidden very well and the high malt bill keeps the initial twang in check. Very well crafted.

D - did they use Kent Goldings as the bittering on these? I keep getting that vibe more and more as it warms. Anyway, drinkability is very good and I am glad this comes in a bomber because more and more flavors present themselves as temperatures change.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Finally had a bomber of this at Fatheads in the south side! Been looking to get it for a while.

A - Nice imperial pitch black color with a decent head with an aggressive pour.
S - Smells of very slight chocolate, caramel, and molasses.
T - Holly alchohol! I haven't had a stout hit me this hard since Dragons milk. Taste of harsh (and almost overbearing) bourbon like flavor with a slight coffee taste in the background. Chocolate as well but it's hard to detect over the burn.
M - Heavy and chewy a nice thick stout.
D - I appreciate the art of brewing in bourbon barrels and this is true to this but I really can't ever get used to strong bourbon flavor in a beer. I really need to find the oak aged version...

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Pure, opaque black in color. Rocky, pitted deep bister head leaves muddled, tattered lace. Beautiful. Suggestions of rum splashed grapefruit along with rich, milk chocolate coated crushed coffee bean upfront in aroma. Swirling releases stately wafts of anise and fermented prune. Incipient in flavor is an agreeably brash suggestion of bitter espresso and quinine, softened only slightly by a backdrop of sweet fudge. Bitterness subsides promptly though, allowing notes of chocolate covered candied orange peel and dark toffee to arise and provide contrast. Becomes more raisin like in fruit character as it breathes, with orange hints fleeting. Underbaked gooey brownie hints surface as well, but sweetness never becomes overbearing, as it held in check by stalwart bitterness, both roasted barley and hop derived. Moderate in body, but aptly dextrinous to support the malt profile. Thins a bit late, with light mocha hints supplanting the fudge presence. Finishes with transient snap of black currant yielding to lingering bitter and smokey roasted grains. A delicious imperial with a tingling, firm bitterness offset by an enveloping, velvety cocoa tone. This could age incredibly, but I'd never have the willpower. Thanks to Bighuge for sending fine brew.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

I'm just now getting into stouts. I was biased because I'm not really a Guinness fan. Here goes!

I'm pouring from a 1pt 6oz bottle at 54.3 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

As far as appearance, this is a beautiful beer! Completely black with a very thick, frothy, two-finger head. The head is a light brown that sticks around. It reminds me of soy sauce, the way it pours.

The smell is overwhelmingly hoppy. The bottle boasts a large amount of hops and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in that aspect of this beer. I detect a little sweetness going on, maybe toffee or chocolate.

I'm a little apprehensive to taste this one. I've only heard good things, from fellow BA's as well as my trusted beer store employees. This one takes me by surprise! I was right about the toffee and chocolate, but there's also a heavy coffee influence. At 9.5abv, I thought I would be able to taste the alcohol more, but I'm pleasantly surprised! The alcohol is still there, but there's so much more going on in my mouth that it's more of a side note than a distraction! VERY well done!
Starts with a little bitterness, but moves to a very smooth, woodsy hoppiness that is complimented nicely by the roasting! Wow. Wow....wow!

The carbonation reminds me of a nitrogen pushed beer (Belhaven, Guinness), but not as thick. Very smooth, though a little thick for how heavy the beer is. Maybe its just me, but I like the contrasy of heavy, yet watery beers (see Guinness 250).

As far as drinkability, I would say I like this one more than I like most stouts I've tried, though that list is very short. I will buy more of this one, but mostly because I want to drink it with friends and share its uniqueness with them.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Black. Absolutely black. No color. No highlights around the edges. No light peering through during the iPhone flashlight test. A liquid black hole with a creamy crown the shade of raw sugar. Unreal amounts of burnt caramel colored lacing down the glass. Everything I want to see in a RIS.

S: Slightly bitter. Dark roasted malts, pure cocoa powder, heavy molasses, light hints of dark roasted coffee. An unexpected whiff of citrus hop presence underneath adds a bit of a unique and pleasant touch.

T: The taste follows suit near perfectly with the nose, except that everything is more powerful on the tongue than it was in the nose. Not super complex, but it doesn't need to be. With a flavor profile this decadent and well-executed, who needs something over-the-top? Not me.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, decadent, viscous, all without being too overwhelming. This is a slow-drinker, but definitely still goes down easy.

O: I see this around A LOT and I've recently been trying to stop myself from IPA binging, so I decided to grab something different that seems to be a crowd favorite. Two sips in, I understand the praise. This is one serious stout! It's nothing overly complex, but when you execute flavors THIS well, who needs off-the-wall recipes? I tip my hat to the folks at Great Divide, for they've hit it out of the park with this imperial stout.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Jet-black, thick pour. Beautiful thick dark-brown chocolate milkshake head. Very impressive appearance. Head gradually subsides to leave lots of beautiful lacing. Top marks here. To a stout fan, it is a thing of beauty.

Rich smell of roasted malt. Somewhat bitter, earthy, lots of coffee scent. Some hint that reminds me of soy sauce.

Dark, rich flavor, really a treat. Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Raisins, molasses, currants. Very nice combination of flavors, indeed. The alcohol is present and mildly warming, but not dominant. Aftertaste is somewhat bitter, but in a really good way.

Rick, thick and chewy. Everything I look for in an Imperial Stout.

Very good drinkability. Not top marks here, because of the bitter aftertaste that, while generally exceptional in flavor, would limit my ability to enjoy more than one of these.

Now, the question is, do I spring for the Oak-Aged Yeti to compare the two? Based on how much I enjoyed this tasting, I think I will, so this is a definite two thumbs up in my book.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

This bad-boy poured a jet black with a large, thick head that was off-white. It tends to stick to the glass a bit before dripping back down into the body. Very creamy and solid. The smell was roasted throughout: coffee, chocolate, malts, with a bit of a burnt character. The taste was exceptionally rich with a light burn on the finish as the roasted nuttiness fills the mouth. Very thick and creamy in the mouth as if a generous portion of whipped cream was added to the mix. Warms the body as it goes down. For an exceptionally rich taste and character, it still remains quite drinkable. Good, well-crafted stuff here.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Another successful foray into the Beers of Fame!!! Poured into a pint glass...dense black color with no light getting through. A big dark tan head...as dark as 10 Fidy with good retention. Plenty of lacing on the glass. A really great looking beer.

Smell is good, not great. Provides an indication of the chocolate and roasted malts coming up...also lets you know that there is both a hops and an alcohol presence as well.

Taste is really good. Chocolate and roasted malts predominate. Some coffee, earthy hops in there as well. Very good taste, a nice blend of flavors, most importantly not too sweet!!!!

Mouthfeel is rich, the alcohol level is ok but cuts the richness. Hops provide a little bite and keep the beer from being cloying.

This is a really good RIS. A pity that Great Divide will no longer distribute in Tidewater VA.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Popped open a bottle and poured it into my Stella Artois chalice.

Appearance is excellent. Looks like a stream of chocolate coming out of the bottle. No head at first, but after a moment, the head sneaks up with a milk chocolate appearance.

Smell is about average. Doesn't overpower the room, which is good, but it's not too pronounced in the first place. For a beer like this though, that's to be expected.

Taste is fantastic. Hints of chocolate and coffee. ABV is very well masked.

Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Fills the whole mouth and every tastebud gets something out of this beer.

Drinkability is good. Can't have more than 1 or 2 since these pack a punch.

Overall, an excellent beer. Highly recommend.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

I had the unusual experience of trying Oak Aged and Chocolate Oak Aged yeti before the original, and I gotta say, the original is probably my favorite with Oaked a close second and Chocolate a distant third (cayenne wtf?) This is probably my favorite stout. I have so much love for GD.

A: Jet black pour, impenetrable to light, 2-finger light brown head receded to a thin cap. This is a beautiful beer.

S: Perfect balance of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee, with little alcohol burn.

T: Like the nose but more intense. Good God, this beer is delicious. I will drink so much Yeti this winter.

M: Thick without being syrupy, bubbly without being light.

D: This is a heavy-duty RIS, and one 12 oz. bottle will definitely do it for me, but whoo baby is it a good one.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

2003 edition. Eclipse black color. Large tannish head. Aroma is coffee and chocolate, hops and dark fruit. A full-bodied Imperial Stout. Malts are very roasty, with a pronounced chocolate and coffee flavor. Hops are grapefruity, herbal and piney and very pronounced for an imperial stout. Extremely smooth and creamy tasting. A slight touch of an alcohol bite at 9.5%. Hints of vanilla and dark fruit. A very nice, very drinkable Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottled date May 2010, so 1.5 years old. Served in a snifter.

A - pitch black, with a beautiful chocolate colored head. Very little head when poured, but a few swirls gives it a finger or two.

S - chocolate, with hints of oak.

T - Lovely, slightly sweet, brown sugar, with just the right amount of acidity.

M - very smooth, with a nice lingering aftertaste, but not overwhelmingly bitter.

Overall - compared to a lot of other imperial stouts this has a very smooth flavor and the 1.5 years aging has made it quite exquisite. Considerably smooth given it was once 75 IBUs and overloaded with hops.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Opaque black pour with a beautiful one and a half finger chocolate milk colored head. The retention and lacing is wonderful, this is how a beer should look! 5

S: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts dominate the smell. Some booziness, but not a lot. 4

T: The coffee and chocolate tastes are BIG and dominate the flavor. Roasty malts mix with some caramel to balance it out. Very bitter and the coffee sticks around on the palate after everyone else has gone. 4.5

MF: Heavy body, not a lot of carbonation noticed, but it isn't flat. Very dry and bitter aftertaste. Creamy, and no hint of alcohol. 4

O: Was pleasantly surprised here. I was expecting to really enjoy this and I did. Going to pop open an old-label one next, we'll see if the Yeti has some legs! 4.5

Now on to the old labeled Yeti. Best guess has this as 2 to 3 years old. Found it at 3 Sons in Wexford, PA

A: Same dark pour, but the head has stepped back a bit, light brown in color with less retention, but similar lacing. 4.5

S: The smell is really boozy. Almost all of the wonderful coffee and chocolate smells from the fresh version have become subdued. Almost smells sweet. 4

T: The flavors have cooled down a lot. In fact if this was a blind test, I wouldn't even guess it was the same beer. The chocolate is mainstream here. Seriously almost like eating a melted chocolate bar. The sweetness from the smell is present, I'm going to chalk it up as a yeastiness that isn't unpleasant, it is, however, different. The big coffee aftertaste has decidedly subsided, but hints of it remain, and increase as the beer warms. 4

MF: The body is lighter, but the aftertaste is just as dry. The creaminess has gone as well. This has taken a hit over the years. 3.5

O: It's really interesting having these two back to back like this. The flavors have really changed. I love the big chocolate taste in the old label Yeti, but I have to admit I'm missing the coffee from the fresh Yeti. The booziness of the old label Yeti is also a little too much. If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a bit past its prime. I would recommend letting this beer warm, as the flavors seem to come out more and more as I let it sit. 4

Going to keep my review numbers as the fresh Yeti, as that's how Great Divide intended it. I'd be interested to see other people's inputs on the sweet spot for this one!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a crude-oil black with fantastic toxic chemical looking head. Great retention and lacing. Aroma is Italian roast coffee and chocolate. Strong caramel, coffee, chocolate, and licorice flavors with bitter hop finish. Alcohol well hidden. Nicely carbonated and balanced, stick to the tongue finish.

Right on the edge of totally repulsive and totally loveable, this is a damn fine brew.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Oh my goodness... poured into a goblet, this is one of the most menacingly beautiful beers I've laid eyes on. The head is a prodigious milk chocolate, quite thick and with good retention, the body a viscous inky black. Just amazing to look at.

What hits me first in the nose is a big blast of resinous American hops. There's definitely some dark, sweet maltiness, but it's not nearly the lead component here. This is one hoppy stout.

The flavor is amazing. Huge malty sweetness up front, richer than any chocolate torte in existence, followed by a sucker punch of beautiful hops and roasted barley. In its own twisted way, this is rather balanced! The sweetness, the roasted barley character, the bitter, piney hops, all there battling for your tastebuds. It's incredible.

In the mouth, this beer is absolutely luscious. It's thick in a way that I've never experienced before. Each sip coats every square centimeter with this massive ale, which I am beginning to believe is the devil's own personal brew. The carbonation is just enough to keep it from going over the edge.

Damn! This is the third Imperial Stout I've had in a week, and it's the first to hit the spot. Such a beautiful combination of malt, hops, water and yeast. A superb ale.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

bottled on christmas eve, 2008. Blacker than coal... really, really dark with a caramel colored head that pours thick and sticks around forever. lacing up and down the insides of the glass. in the nose, first thing that hits is the booze. there are some hints of dark fruit and cocoa. some tobacco in there too. taste is booze and hot in the beginning, then comes bitter espresso, then even more bitterness as the hops close out the taste. mouthfeel is damn perfection in the glass. chewey, creamy, viscous. it's thick like motor oil. this beer needs a bit of aging and it would be absolutely amazing.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this on tap in a chalice at Sportstime Pizza. Deep black color with a monster chunky head that is a darker brown than most ales are. Serious lacing. Smell is a little faint, though still complex and sweet-smelling. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel. Taste is fantastic! A wonderful dessert unto itself. Sweet chocolate is met with burnt coffee, toffee, and vanilla. Huge malt presence, though well balanced by the hops (also huge). Mouthfeel is amazing - what all imperial stouts should try to achieve. Huge and creamy. It felt a lot like melted ice cream. Alcohol is pretty well hidden in the taste, but you can definitely feel it.

Notes: This is a HUGE beer. Not for rookies. I found it to be a lot less abrasive than the oaked version. Definitely a treat that I hope to have again and again.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

A-This is one of the sexiest beers i have poured. It looks amazing. No light will pass through this beer very black. For the style this beer is a bench mark

S-Smell's like a stout. Good smell

T-This beer is amazing. It taste like a chocolate coffee wonder. Splashing this around in my mouth I find a nice initial chocolate coffee flavor and then it is finished with a great bittering that surrounds my salivation glands

M-Great mouth feel very creamy; very rich

D-At 9.5% you would think that this beer would be a heavy hitter, but it is actually quite subtle. Very easy to drink...very easy to drink a lot before you even notice

This beer is exceptional no more needed to say

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Glugs out a black as dark as the Mariana Trench. Very nice malted milk-colored head. Smell's a touch weak, but what I can detect is nice. Taste is a little bitter, but sweet at the same time, with figgy raisin flavors dominating. Mouthfeel's creamy, but the aftertaste isn't the greatest. Alcohol is well hidden. Not that I'd gulp this down, but it's highly drinkable.

This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, very warming on a cold fall night/early morning. I think this beer and I are going to get to know each other much better as the weather grows colder.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company