Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

JustinS83, Oct 03, 2012

1.75/5  rDev -58.4%

ohiobeer29, Jul 01, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -49.4%

22oz bomber
Ok here goes, Im a big russian imperial stout guy, but this one wasnt me. I can see how many people would like this, just not me. That being said...

A: A good looking imp stout. Pitch black in color with a tan head that has good retention and leaves a fair amount of lace.

S: Good smells of alcohol, chocolate and coffee hit you at first then spices.

T: Whoa thats alcoholy. Too syrupy and thick plus a heavy taste of alcohol turned me off. As it warmed up maybe a little better. Good coffee and a little chocolate, but the 9.5% really lets you know its there. I drank on a kinda cold day in april, but maybe if it was jan and below freezing and a blizzard and you were naked maybe that much alcohol would feel good. But for now it just kinda burns.

M: Thick. Chewy. Heavy. Too heavy. I like heavy stouts but this has a property that I am unfamiliar with, and I dont like it.

D: Seeing that I didnt like the taste or the mouthfeel, this baby was not exactly asking me to drink more. Its a shame, I was really looking forward to enjoying this one. Heard lots of good reviews. Maybe I just got a bad bottle. Who knows.

KyleVick4, Apr 09, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -48.5%

I want to like this beer but I simply cannot. There is something wrong with it which is to do with balance of flavours and a sickly undertone of cream soda and medicine which I have observed in a number of American craft beers.

I had to pour the rest of a GBP12.50 bottle and that hurt my soul deep down where it really hurts whenever you have to pour away abeer even though you may not like it or even be able to finish it.

DerBayer, Jul 30, 2010

Ice_cyclops86, Aug 26, 2014

chippo33, Nov 02, 2012

br3wmeister, Jan 04, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

As I often write of my hubby, I got this email one morning after he had ventured on his own into Beerdom. Serves him right for not waiting for me to try a beer.

Yow!

It's an extreme representation of the style, to say the least. It hurt, it really did.

It was excellent at first, hard to put down...and then, it was hard to put down the last of it. What went from a friendly woody/nutty charm soon went way too deep into the forest. It was a stout in every sense of the word/style. When it got warm, it was like a big woody log that you just had trouble swallowing.

In the end, it left a great big impression on the wrong side of the love it/hate it side of the fence...so sorry this one didn't make it. I had such high hopes!

Guinness4me, Dec 13, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

Appearance - Well, hello tall, dark and handsome. What a beautiful pour - thick, mahagony brown with a cocoa head that seems to sort of fade into the beer (no clear division at first). Leaves thick lacing when head fades.

Smell - I'm not getting much from this. A faint citrus hops smell and an even fainter rosted odor. Also I think there's a hint of coffee like bitterness, but even a hint is making my mouth water.

Taste - Wargh, hop avalanche! Way hoppier than any beer this dark I've ever had. Roasted coffee type flavor present in the after taste, but only after the hop-punch-to-the-face fades.

Mouthfeel - substantial, warms the tongue

Drinkability - Too alcoholic and bitter to go down smooth. Overall a disapointment to me. Lacks balance

BlazmoIntoWowee, Apr 02, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -37.5%

Reviewed 5/21/2006 (25oz bottle):

Pours a blackish color, tan frothy head, average, somewhat diminishing. Hoppy aroma, some coffee. Alcoholy taste, some coffee. Strong flavor. A milky smooth taste. Coffee. Too much for me, maybe aging will do this on better.

jujubeast6000, Jan 15, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -37.1%

Pours with a gooey, burnt sienna head of small, tight bubbles that clumps and laces nicely. Beer is black (duh) with typical Imperial Stout viscosity. Smells strongly of grapefruit and asphalt from the bottle alone. From the glass: very strong, grapefruity hops; sappy pine cones and tar. Finishes like gin (?) as in juniper... and baking chocolate with... yuck, an ammonia-like chemical bite. The biggest problem with the smell, though, is the same as with the flavor--the burning. Initial sips suggest a burnt raisiny sweetness, before being pummeled away by raw grapefruit and carbon. I'm not talking tasty burnt toast/popcorn or the charred fruit tastes of a good Imperial Stout; this is like sucking on a stick of charcoal, or at best, a 50/50 shot of espresso and unsweetened grapefruit juice. Sound good? Aftertaste suggests chocolate-covered coffee beans... why couldn't this have been the flavor of the beer while I was actually drinking it?? Mouthfeel is heavy, sticky, and tingling from bitterness alone; not what you'd call smooth. If a beer's to be "drinkable" it needs to be balanced first, folks. I admit I came in with high expectations for this beer, but for me at least, this is a huge disappointment.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Dec 10, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

75 IBU, 9.5% ABV. 2003 Series.

Pours out to a clear black, forming a good-sized dark brown head with very good retention and pretty, delicate sticky lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Aroma is very fruity with what smells like Cascade hops and abundant burnt malt. Not alot of depth here, akin to Grant's Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is crummy, with a dry finish, harsh burnt astringency and dense body. Taste is very "green"...predominated by leafy hops, burnt malt, some off-alcohols, not-so-subtle metals, over-roasted and quickly-pulled espresso, rum, burnt sugar, and TONS of chalky grain in the finish. Nail-polish remover exsanguinates my palate. Bitterness lingers on the tongue but I can't tell if it's from hops, acetone, or blackened grains.

Thoroughly unimpressed. One-dimensional charcoal, with no complexity and riddled with off-flavors and problems. Pass on this one. I've had much worse, but this just isn't what Imperial Stouts are about.

Mitchster, May 06, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

I wasn't as impressed with this beer as most other reviewers, objecting some to what I detected as a lack of maltiness, and an abundance of sour fruitiness in this beer.

It poured an inky black with a small tan head. Aroma was rather white wine-ish, and not very roasty (roasty being what you expect in an Imperial Stout). Flavor was a bit better, with lots of wine fruitiness up front with some backing roastiness, but not nearly enough to wash away the fruitiness nor satisfy my expectation from an Imperial Stout. Texture was good, but the winey quality made this beer not very drinkable.

I had this beer on-tap at Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee. I have some doubts as to the sanitation of their tap-lines; nothing I drink there seems to taste as good as it should.

BeerBelcher, Mar 16, 2007