Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,684 | Hads: 4,897
2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

22oz bomber
Ok here goes, Im a big russian imperial stout guy, but this one wasnt me. I can see how many people would like this, just not me. That being said...

A: A good looking imp stout. Pitch black in color with a tan head that has good retention and leaves a fair amount of lace.

S: Good smells of alcohol, chocolate and coffee hit you at first then spices.

T: Whoa thats alcoholy. Too syrupy and thick plus a heavy taste of alcohol turned me off. As it warmed up maybe a little better. Good coffee and a little chocolate, but the 9.5% really lets you know its there. I drank on a kinda cold day in april, but maybe if it was jan and below freezing and a blizzard and you were naked maybe that much alcohol would feel good. But for now it just kinda burns.

M: Thick. Chewy. Heavy. Too heavy. I like heavy stouts but this has a property that I am unfamiliar with, and I dont like it.

D: Seeing that I didnt like the taste or the mouthfeel, this baby was not exactly asking me to drink more. Its a shame, I was really looking forward to enjoying this one. Heard lots of good reviews. Maybe I just got a bad bottle. Who knows. (1,146 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -46.4%

I want to like this beer but I simply cannot. There is something wrong with it which is to do with balance of flavours and a sickly undertone of cream soda and medicine which I have observed in a number of American craft beers.

I had to pour the rest of a GBP12.50 bottle and that hurt my soul deep down where it really hurts whenever you have to pour away abeer even though you may not like it or even be able to finish it. (425 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -44.5%

Jet black sludge. Smells like dirty feet. Overwhelming burnt coffee flavor. Thick as motor oil. Unimpressed! Suffered thru half a glass hoping it get better as it warmed. No such luck. Tossed it. Not worth the coin... (223 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

As I often write of my hubby, I got this email one morning after he had ventured on his own into Beerdom. Serves him right for not waiting for me to try a beer.

Yow!

It's an extreme representation of the style, to say the least. It hurt, it really did.

It was excellent at first, hard to put down...and then, it was hard to put down the last of it. What went from a friendly woody/nutty charm soon went way too deep into the forest. It was a stout in every sense of the word/style. When it got warm, it was like a big woody log that you just had trouble swallowing.

In the end, it left a great big impression on the wrong side of the love it/hate it side of the fence...so sorry this one didn't make it. I had such high hopes! (739 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

Appearance - Well, hello tall, dark and handsome. What a beautiful pour - thick, mahagony brown with a cocoa head that seems to sort of fade into the beer (no clear division at first). Leaves thick lacing when head fades.

Smell - I'm not getting much from this. A faint citrus hops smell and an even fainter rosted odor. Also I think there's a hint of coffee like bitterness, but even a hint is making my mouth water.

Taste - Wargh, hop avalanche! Way hoppier than any beer this dark I've ever had. Roasted coffee type flavor present in the after taste, but only after the hop-punch-to-the-face fades.

Mouthfeel - substantial, warms the tongue

Drinkability - Too alcoholic and bitter to go down smooth. Overall a disapointment to me. Lacks balance (790 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -36.5%

Reviewed 5/21/2006 (25oz bottle):

Pours a blackish color, tan frothy head, average, somewhat diminishing. Hoppy aroma, some coffee. Alcoholy taste, some coffee. Strong flavor. A milky smooth taste. Coffee. Too much for me, maybe aging will do this on better. (259 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours with a gooey, burnt sienna head of small, tight bubbles that clumps and laces nicely. Beer is black (duh) with typical Imperial Stout viscosity. Smells strongly of grapefruit and asphalt from the bottle alone. From the glass: very strong, grapefruity hops; sappy pine cones and tar. Finishes like gin (?) as in juniper... and baking chocolate with... yuck, an ammonia-like chemical bite. The biggest problem with the smell, though, is the same as with the flavor--the burning. Initial sips suggest a burnt raisiny sweetness, before being pummeled away by raw grapefruit and carbon. I'm not talking tasty burnt toast/popcorn or the charred fruit tastes of a good Imperial Stout; this is like sucking on a stick of charcoal, or at best, a 50/50 shot of espresso and unsweetened grapefruit juice. Sound good? Aftertaste suggests chocolate-covered coffee beans... why couldn't this have been the flavor of the beer while I was actually drinking it?? Mouthfeel is heavy, sticky, and tingling from bitterness alone; not what you'd call smooth. If a beer's to be "drinkable" it needs to be balanced first, folks. I admit I came in with high expectations for this beer, but for me at least, this is a huge disappointment. (1,219 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -35.1%

I wasn't as impressed with this beer as most other reviewers, objecting some to what I detected as a lack of maltiness, and an abundance of sour fruitiness in this beer.

It poured an inky black with a small tan head. Aroma was rather white wine-ish, and not very roasty (roasty being what you expect in an Imperial Stout). Flavor was a bit better, with lots of wine fruitiness up front with some backing roastiness, but not nearly enough to wash away the fruitiness nor satisfy my expectation from an Imperial Stout. Texture was good, but the winey quality made this beer not very drinkable.

I had this beer on-tap at Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee. I have some doubts as to the sanitation of their tap-lines; nothing I drink there seems to taste as good as it should. (774 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

75 IBU, 9.5% ABV. 2003 Series.

Pours out to a clear black, forming a good-sized dark brown head with very good retention and pretty, delicate sticky lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Aroma is very fruity with what smells like Cascade hops and abundant burnt malt. Not alot of depth here, akin to Grant's Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is crummy, with a dry finish, harsh burnt astringency and dense body. Taste is very "green"...predominated by leafy hops, burnt malt, some off-alcohols, not-so-subtle metals, over-roasted and quickly-pulled espresso, rum, burnt sugar, and TONS of chalky grain in the finish. Nail-polish remover exsanguinates my palate. Bitterness lingers on the tongue but I can't tell if it's from hops, acetone, or blackened grains.

Thoroughly unimpressed. One-dimensional charcoal, with no complexity and riddled with off-flavors and problems. Pass on this one. I've had much worse, but this just isn't what Imperial Stouts are about. (965 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -33.9%

Review from notes taken from sampling party early December 2008.

If you are going to get a Great Divide Yeti....pay the extra $1 and get the Oak Aged one...MUCH better!!!!

A - Black....Yeti material....Yeti means snow...and snow is white....just don't get it. Anyways...Black and "appears" thick, but looks can be wrong....read on.

S - High alcohol. Other than that, not great for a RIS

T - Burns when cold. No flavor. Make sure this one is at room temperature or else you just wasted the $8 for the bottle. Crazy. Little to like when cool, ok to like when warm. Other then that, not great. Just average at best.

M = Thin. Alcohol bite. Thats it.

D - 9.5% plus expensive compared to other great RIS...no. Try the Oak Aged Yeti...much better. That review next. (765 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -33.2%

For me balance is key in a RIS. to much hops takes away from the malty character. Not enough hops and it is too sweet.

Yeti Imperial Stout, lost me on the aroma. To much aroma hopping, overpowered the aroma and to some extent the flavor of the beer.

Apperance: Looked good, dark and think! Poured with a 2 finger head which held up a long time for a stout

Aroma: The Washington hops hit me on the fist sniff, and I had a hard time smell anything else. The malt was there, but any complexity was covered by the hops.

Taste: The initial taste was hoppy, it mellows though the taste into a more traditional RIS flavor, and ends up good.

Mouthfeel: Thick and what you would expect from a RIS.

Drinkability: To much hop in the aroma and the beginning of the taste for me. (772 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love stouts. GIve me oatmeal, cream, imperial. I'll take 'em all.

I suppose I should appreciate what Great Divide was trying to do here, but Yeti was just lost on me. It's not every brewery that tries to make a beer that's supposed to be savory into something so bitter.

The pour was beautiful. Great color, and a head that grabbed the glass and clinged to the end. From there, the hop overload really put a damper on what could have been an awesome imperial. I just don't believe that so much dry bitterness properly complements a roasty, toasty, malty stout. The citrus profile from the hops really confused the flavor of the brew. It also sucked away the substantial, sometimes silky, mouthfeel of a true imperial. Drinkability also suffered, as the hop presence commanded the long finish that should have belonged to the malt.

Different is often good, but not this time. (880 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Can't read the bottled on date but pretty sure it's sometime this year

A: Obsidian colored, leaving an initial 1/2 finger worth of head. This disappears within a minute

S: Dark coffee and roasted malt. Hint of charcoal it seems. Pretty big hop character for a stout, with some citrus notes coming through

T: All roasted malt here. Tastes like I'm drinking soot. Very earthy. Big smokey flavor. At the very end, I pick up some bitter chocolate

M: Pretty average for an imperial stout. Medium, somewhat creamy. Roasty, earthy aftertaste

D: Not a fan. Way too roasty. The smokey flavor was very overwhelming. Finished about half and gave the rest to my girlfriend (who seemed to like it) (724 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a think syrupy black body with a brown head, and truly beautiful lacing. Aroma is a potent combination of chocolate, tofee and roast malt. The taste is similar to the nose. Reminds me of chocolate/maple syrup and molasses. Don't even think about detecting any hops. The beer coats my mouth with a real syrupy feel. This beer is actually too think and syrupy and too sweet. Roastyness is barely noticeable. Not properly balanced.

This beer has excellent reviews, so I was shocked to be dissappointed with this beer. It may have been served too cold. I may give it a try out of a bottle sometime. (631 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from a bottle dated 3/7/12 into a pint glass and choked down with a slow cooked BBQ pulled pork sandwich.

A: Pours pretty darn close to pitch black; little light gets through. Unfortunately, no head whatsoever, despite a solid pour. No lacing either.

S: Chocolate, overwhelmingly, with hints of toffee. Earthy hops are well blended with the chocolate for pleasant aromas.

T: Starts off chocolate, but quickly gives way to a highly astringent, herbal hop quality. Unfortunately, the hop character dominates and lingers, leaving behind an unpleasant medicinal bittnerness. The first thing that comes to mind is an herb I took while a child (astragalus). This isn't much better, and I question how much more palatable it would be even after considerable cellaring. None of the stout-like flavors linger - they come in strong when it hits the tongue, but vanish into a sea of overwhelming bitterness (and this from a DIPA fan and fervent drinker of Old Rasputin RIS).

M: Not at all creamy. MF-wise goes down smooth, almost crisp. Does not foam in the mouth. Alcohol is evident. In summary, has none of the qualities I look for in a stout.

O: Another huge disappointment from the folks at Great Divide. I'm normally a huge fan of the brewery, but this was pretty darned near undrinkable. I'll be sticking with the oak-aged Yetis, which are DELICIOUS. (1,359 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had high hopes for this one based upon the price point and the reviews here on BA, but sadly I was let down once again by a highly touted stout, that turned out to taste like coffe grinds and rubbing alcohol.

Well, that might be a bit of a stretch, but I really should have bought the sixer of Dragon Stout or the 4 pack of Old Rasputin instead of the two bombers of Yeti Imperial.

this is definitely not an imperial grade product just based upon how prevalent the taste of alcohol was.

Texture and color were nice but this taste so average and redundant.

Would not purchase again. (587 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.5%

A - Its very black, very very black witha big fluffy tan head. Dark tan.

S - Strong aroma of hops in there, not IPA strong but a good wiff of it starts this off. Its followed up by some sweet molasses, dark chocolate, and strong alcohol.

T - The high bitterness hides a lot of the flavors. There are the typical chocolate and molasses, with a background of a coffee/hops mixture flavors. But the sharpness on the tounge hides a lot of it.

M - It is big and chewy. The carbination wraps the tounge and once again the bitterness encompasses all.

D - It along the BJCP guidelines of a Russian Imperial Stout, but it needs a stronger flavor profile. (660 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black. 1 finger, chocolate color head.

Smell of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. The nose is mostly sweet. I can also pick up an alcohol smell.

The taste starts off with very sweet malts, sweet chocolate, followed by roasted malts. I'm picking up this tangy, tart, syrupy flavor near the finish. Molasses, i think. It finishes with huge hops and a lingering bitterness

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Combine that with the high ABV and you get a sipping beer. Not very drinkable.

Overall, i thought this beer was ok. I like hoppy finishes in my beer but im used to it with an IPA/DIPA not with a stout. I like my stouts creamy, sweet, and lightly hopped. Also, i wasn't a big fan of this tangy taste i was getting on the finish. it was weird. (820 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

Aroma is very chocolaty...a semi-sweet and roasted chocolate smell is very noticeable with some floral hoppiness in the background.

Pours black in the glass with a loose, dark brown head of about an inch.

Taste has a pretty interesting mix of floral hoppiness and roasted chocolate malt with a hint of coffee. While still certainly a malty beer, this beer has more hoppiness than most beers of this style. The finish has a very roasted quality to it, with a bit of sharp bitterness along the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel seems a little thinner than most beers of this style.

I wouldn't count this amongst my favorites for style. It's a personal preference I'm sure, but I don't think the floral quality helps in this beer...I really just would prefer less hoppiness...and it just seems a little thin in general. (816 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

The first beer on my 4th July American beer evening. Poured into a 'Forbidden Fruit' chalice.

Darker than a dark night on a moonless hill, a deep tan coloured head sat on top of the smouldering body. The head however soon left leaving a thin collar around the glass.

The aroma was of rich fruitcake, slightly burnt or overcooked, baked plums were also in the smell.

The taste was of dry burnt caramel, with the hops adding to the dryness. As the beer warmed, it appeared to lose some of its dryness, but it was still pretty dry to me.

Over hopped and to much alcohol for me. I am no expert on Imperial Stouts, but if this typical, then they obviously aren't my cup of tea. (676 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

A: It's like a black hole, no light will escape.
S: Molasses, strong coffee.
T: Dark-roast coffee bean (burnt is the proper word). Citrusy American hop aftertaste. Bitter from all sides (roasted malts and hops).
M: Full-bodied. Moderate carbonation.
O: Well, this kind of hoppiness is really not to my liking, so I can't drink much of this. Amazingly, the hops seem to overwhelm both the alcohol, the roastedness, and the maltiness! (433 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured a big beer into a giant frozen crystal mug.

A: Black as midnight in the middle of a northwestern woods. With no moon out. Black as used crude oil. Thick, brown head that lingered for quite awhile.

S: Whew. Very hoppy with a sea water character surrounded by ripe dark fruit. Very light toasty malt and a hint of coffee.

T: Salty black coffee, roasted malt, campfire smoke, scotch and a red wine note. Salty, espresso finish.

Value: Man, if you're into Russian Imp Stouts, I guess this one is a good deal. Just too hoppy and salty for me. (548 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Pours a thick black with no light showing through. Tiny speckled lace is present.

S- Dark chocolate, some dark raisiny fruits, a good amount of boozy alcohol on the nose.

T- Starts off with a bitter chocolate, with some green apple notes, some other dark fruits, with some heat on the finish.

M- Pretty boozy on the mouth feel makes this not terribly present.

D- Drinkability really suffers on this because of the alcohol heat in the nose,taste, and mouthfeel. (470 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.9%

Got this bottle in Mass after Kate Day, shared it with my wife
couldn't read the bottle on date on any of the bottles in the store
e
The beer pours dark with a very dark head. The head forms big and hugs the glass. It is dark tan and very small bubbles.

The is surprisingly full of hops. Chocolate and roasted malts take a back burner to the hops upfront. it is a unique but i want more roasted and maltyness.

It starts with a huge alcohol bite i've hd 13% that were less alcoholic then this. Roasted and chocolate malts enter with a thick creaminess. It finishes with a huge amount of alcohol feel and roasted on the tongue leaving a dry very grain taste.

This is a great beer to drink with something, I had chili, as the dry taste is a little off. i could see how aging would improve this beer. Last note is that this beer is all over the place I appreciate where this beer goes but i don't think i will follow (917 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into my anderson valley "can" pint glass

Appearance: Extremely dark, almost like a black hole. No light is passing through this beer.

Smell: Very, very yeasty. Bread like smell. Similar to the aroma of a bakery of a summer afternoon.

Taste: Warm, doughy taste. Lots of chocolate as well. Mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This is one HEAVY beer. Felt more like eating a sandwich than drinking a beer. Mild carbonation.

Overall: This beer had A LOT of flavor, but lacked the complexity I seek in a RIS. Glad I tried it, but won't repeat. Will be trying the oak aged and chocolate oak versions though soon. (609 characters)

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company