Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,829 | Reviews: 1,709
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick and pitch black like opening a can of oil. Nose is similar to that of rich coffee with undertones of vanilla extract and smoked hickory wood. Full-bodied and heavy in the mouth throughout the tasting. Roasted caramelized malt flavors are present up front along with flavors of unsweetened chocolate followed by notes of smoky charcoal and bitter grapefruity raw hop leaves leading to a rather dry finish. The high alcohol level is very well hidden. Unfortunately, we don’t have many imperial stouts available here, but this one is a definite winner.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Holy mother duck, love Yeti Stouts!

Pours an almost black. You guessed it, It sits in the glass as black as night. Nice tan creamy head that has good lacing.

Smells wonderfull...way above average. Smells like a fresh malted milk...overly malted. YUM.

Tastes of Roasty milk chocolates. Nice hop bitterness that is more pronounced than the smoked version. This beer still tastes of some smoke and is very similar to that version. The alcohol is evident as it goes down. Between the creamy malted milk profile, and the bittering hops so well blended..this imp gets a 5 on taste. Exceptional.
Creamy sticky moutfeel. A bit to syrupy for me. I think the smoked covered up this fact a bit more. Still very good.

A great Imperial stout. Wished they made a third version ..Smoked AND espresso induced. It may be all fives!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Pours a murky black with a good brown red head. The head lasts very well and produces good lacing. Has a very nice aroma of roasted malts with hints of toffie and carmel chocolate. The taste is blended excellently. Has a good amount of hops to produce a smooth sweetness with its malt backbone. Has a medium body and a good amount of carbination. This is real good. A nice bold stout with soft touches to produce an excellent brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from the tap in a small pilsner glass.

This was my first Russian Imperial, so I'm glad I got to try this as my first!

A: Like the blackest coffee I've ever seen! A reddish brown head, nice and thick and retained well. Reddish tint in the beer, too, but hard to tell if that was from the lighting in the Ale House. Decent lacing.

S: Even more coffee, but with a nice toasted malt character. Kind of smelled like bitter-sweet chocolate. Mouth watering smell.

T: Not what I expected at all, but like I said, this was my first Russian Imperial. Bitter chocolate, dark coffee, roasted malt, and very hoppy for a stout, more of a porter. Malty, but not sweet. Was not expecting that but very enjoyable. Slight alcohol taste, but not bad at all.

M: Smooth like drinking a thick hot chocolate. Nice clean finish and excellently balanced.

D: Fantastic beer and very easy to drink! Would gladly go looking for this again.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

"Wow" this is one hell of a stout!

Pours a thick, robust, ink-black viscous fluid topped with a thick tan head that lasts a long time. I think this may become one of my all time favorites. It’s a bit unusual for its over-the-top hoppiness, but that just adds to its overall complexity. This is a real keeper indeed! I’m going back out to the woods for another . . .

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: Pours jet black, darker than Coca-Cola. With a very dark tan almost brown inch high head, very good looking beer.

Smell: I got some roasted malt notes, so chocolate, coffee, toffee/caramel. Very characteristic for the style.

Taste: It was bitter, but no to bitter, I got lots of the same notes from the smell, coffee, caramel. chocolate. Very well balanced with the low bitter toasted barley notes, with some hops up high. Great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel. It was thick, it coated my tongue and the rest of my mouth, not too much carbonation, which accentuates the complexity of this beer.

Drinkability: I had 2 from the 4 pack in about 2 hours. Smooth and easy to drink, i found this beer sessionable, but not overly so. But also don't get a 4 pack of these on a full stomach, you'll regret it later.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

From Colorado with love. Yeti pours a deep, black thick color. Very impressive pour that is very thick. Almost like a syrup would pour. Very nice. A rich amber brown head that remains throughout the tasting. There is chocolate quality like you could just pour this all over ice cream. There is good lacing although it does decrease over time.

The smell is stronger malty. Great tones of rich roasted malt and chocolate tones. Very malty with a tad sweet smell. Very limited fruit or plum notes but are there if you really look for them. A little bit of phenols but nothing that would indicate a 9.5 beer.

The taste is mostly malt. A deep dark chocolate with a bittersweet taste. Very rich in the flavor, very much like a high end deep chocolate bar. Stronger coffee flavors are also present. More of coffee beans then coffee taste. There is a sweetness that brings out a sort of milk stout quality. One thing that you don’t taste is the plums or raison quality. This is mostly rich malt and lactose. The flavor is very smooth with some limited bit and phenol tastes at the end.

The body is medium to full. The carbonation is light as per expected but overall a good tasty brew. I think I would have liked to see more complexity and fruity or plum/raison tastes but still an exceptional beer. A definite recommendation.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

This is how I like my Imperial Stouts. Loud and in charge. At 9.5% it is not hot at all there is a faint whiff of alcohol in the nose and it is meet with the heavy roast, but mostly the smell is muted as the gravity of the liquid lets so little of it escape. The heavy black body and healthly chocolate milk head are a beauty to behold. The first sip is pure cream laced with bits of chocolate and slight citrus fruit all mixed in with the alcohol and blast of malty goodness. This is a smooth whip of a beer and is easily quaffable.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

Time to crack this baby open (and re-cork it, cause I don't feel like going through a whole bomber of this tonight) Poured about 6oz into a brandy snifter.

A: Pours an impenetrable pitch-black body, with a small, one finger mocha-colored head. The retention is good for 9.5%, and so is lacing. The residue coats the glass nicely, in typical RIS fashion.

S: Little bit of roast, some chocolate, and booziness. Nothing too fantastic here.

T: BIG. Not an easy beer to drink at all, but it doesn't purport itself to be. Better than the nose would indicate, with many layers of flavor; bitter dark chocolate, coffee, roast, smoke, raisins, figs, rum-like alcohol, and a nice hoppy bite to finish things off. Everything is balanced well, yet the taste is very in your face. NICE!

M: Very creamy overall, as expected. Medium-heavy body, with good, albeit quick fading, carbonation. Has a bit of a sticky pine hop finish that is unique, but meshes nicely with the other notes.

O: I admit, I'm biased toward big-ass RIS beers, but holy bajeezus. Worst I can say is that it's not particularly easy to digest its qualities (as it should be) and that the smell isn't amazing. Otherwise, this is a devastating combination of boldness and refinement that puts it high on the list of my favorite beers ever. Would I have it often? No, I'd have to be in the right mood to enjoy this. But those 3 or 4 times a year where I am in said mood? I'll be all over this like a fat kid on a Hershey bar.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a large steamed glass. The liquid is a dark brown to black, with good carbonation. The is slight about one fat finger, but dark brown and quite inviting. A little lace present.

The smell is roasty & toasty almost burnt.

The taste follows the nose, Dark roasty malts, burnt toast flavor, Some coffee notes and hint of dark chocolate. This beer is excellent one of the smoothest, creamiest, easy drinkable brews of this style I have had. This is well balanced with a great Hopy finish that covers a huge alcohol presents.

The Mouthfeel is very good, nice full body, good carbonation, very smooth, creamy, velvety liquid passing through. What a winner!

The drinkability is great, no defects in this robust RIS offering. A huge and magnificent brew. Prosit und Zum Wohl! MK

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Served up on-tap into a snifter glass. Yeti had a uniformly black coloring and a thick mocha-hued head that showed good retention and left decent lace.
The smell was quite pleasing with a solid aroma of espresso and herbal hops buttressed up against the sweetness of raisins, plums, and chocolate.
The taste was initially sweet, full of rich dark fruits and chocolate. Then things started taking a turn for the bitter side as the roasted malts commenced yielding that great espresso-and-baking chocolate flavor I really can get into. The alcohol content wasn't lacking in the taste but didn't club the palate or distort the other flavors. Yeti had a full, velvety texture that effortlessly coated the tongue.
Yeti is another superb beer by Great Divide. Some impy stouts can take a while to get through. Not so here. Yeti has an ease of drinking that verges on being unbelieveable. I'm not a huge fan of impy stouts, but Yeti has won me over.

This beast is heavy.

A: Poured from a bottle 4 days after bottling. Didn't even have time to put a bottled on date on the label. Poured a thick, jet black syrup in my glass. The beast has a nice brown head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S: The beast smells of chocolate, roasty-like and coffee smelling. Second whiff brings bits of caramel and toffee to the mix as well. Quite complex.

T: Damn, this beast packs a wollop. First I was hit in the face by deep roasty character, but after that subsided, it backhanded me with a pretty strong citrus character. Also, there is a nice caramel, chocolate and toffee tone, but nothing like that coffee upper cut which left me helpless on the snow at the beast's mercy. Very
good.

M: This beast has thick weight on the palate. Quite heavy on the entire palate, but still fairly dry. The malt character especially dries out at the end to lure you into that false sense of safety for the hop blow, which dries out in the end as well.

O: This is a superb beer. I will definitely throw myself in front of the next Yeti I see in snowy Kansas and test the power that is such.

I also picked up the Oak Aged Yeti, but I can only deal with 1 beast per night. I must rest up before I take on the next one.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Brown bomber, no date. Lists 75 IBU’s. Yeti… a tribute/knockoff of Bigfoot?
Aroma: Rather mild aroma, a good dose of hops, seems like Cascade, some roasted malt and alcohol notes. It smells good, just not powerful at the pour. As it warmed, some nice stewed plums and raisin scents came out.
Appearance: Good LORD! I’ve never seen a head that dark. Looks like brown shoe polish but faded pretty quickly into the inky body. Only the slightest peek of deep brown at the edges. The head died completely but left a wisp of lace here and there. Looks like motor oil.
Flavor: Impressive. The hops take the stage after a very balanced opening. The hops are juicy and citric. While there is almost an Imperial IPA hop taste going, I didn’t get much bitter until deep in the aftertaste. It’s like an IIPA that just kept adding rich roasted malt until most of the bitter went away, but stopped before the malt taste kicked in. There are some coffee tastes as well as some dark fruit. The one thing I don’t taste is alcohol, and as warm as the room seems to be getting, that’s scary.
Have to say it again: balanced, massive, heavy handed balance, but the hop tastes predominate in the end.
Mouthfeel: Almost milkshake thick. I can almost form it into different shapes in my mouth. It has a heavy creamy consistency and a mouth numbing effect. This stuff is so thick I’m chewing well after the swallow. Left sticky lips
Overall Impression: Outstanding! The subtle Bigfoot analogy holds true: big hops, rock solid malt base, stunning alcohol, no noted flaws. Drinkability? This is TOO drinkable. Great Divide went big, and it paid off! This is a very enjoyable beer. I think it’s a bit hoppy for the style (erm, which style, what format), but it’s hard to argue with the results. Strongly recommended, but in small glasses with several friends.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is black as motor oil on the pour and has a deep mocha colored head. The nose is a nice mixture of deeply roasted malts - black licorice, milk chocolate and smokey burnt coffee, as well as an assertive west coast citrusy hop pressence. The taste begins with the citrusy, piney hops and transitions into the burnt malty flavors and has a little alcohol bite. The finish is rather smooth and leaves a nice combo of the hops and roasted malt on the palate and just a hint of alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is very viscous, chewy and has little carbonation, just like a RIS should be. Drinkability is high for such a big beer with such huge flavor but I wouldn't recommend chugging this one!

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance - This beer is darker than dark with a beautiful, full head. The head is very dark as well, a solid milky brown I'd say, and laced the hell out of my class. It was a beauty shop in the best sense.

Smell - This bouquet is a nice mix of roasty malts, coffee grounds, and dark chocolate from the finest shop in San Francisco. The raw coffee grounds and dark chocolate work incredibly well together, giving this one a very bitter nose.

Taste - Oh, this is really good. The notes from the nose are here in spade, but the roasted malts are super-juiced and are much sweeter at the tongue. It's a dark sweetness, again like chocolate, maybe mixed with some brown sugar. The alcohol, which I didn't pick up at the nose, is very much present at the taste. This is very rich and has what I call a "pre-aged" flavor, meaning that it takes on that good, syrupy flavor that you get after aging a strong, complex stout.

Mouthfeel - This medium to full-bodied stout is slick in the mouth and very bitter. The big sugars take the bite out of the bitterness and the huge alcohol warms the throat. All the flavors play amazingly well in the mouth. This has what I consider to be a perfect balance of dark, bitter malts, light leafy hop dryness, mouth-puckering sugars, and a sharp but mature alcohol warmth.

Drinkability - This was beer, dinner, and dessert all rolled into one. It was incredibly drinkable for such a big ADS.

Comments - Do not age this beer. Drink as is for best results.

Update - It had been five years since I've had this beer before they started selling it in SoCal so thought I'd give my original review an update.

I wrote before about how dark and beautiful the head was but just can't emphasize it enough. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful heads I have ever seen and it sticks around for eternity. As you drink the beer the film leaves thick rings on the inside of your mug almost like ring on a tree bark.

The only other thing that I would add, which I mentioned at the end of my original review, is that although this style of beer is good for aging, this should be consumed upon purchase. You age a big, dark, malty beer like this to bring out the sugars but the sweets here are so well-developed that there's no need to hold this in a cellar.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

The prince of darkness, this one is as deep as a freshly roasted espresso.
Almost black in color, with a 2 fingered chocolate brown head, this beers appearance is incredible.The super chocolatey aroma leads me straight into an ecstacy of chocolate and smokey oak flavors.
The taste is fruity, almost plum flavored as it layers into a vanilla- latte creaminess with a nice bitter chocolate finish.
Smoked flavor is an oaky woodiness that compliments the fruit flavor nicely.
More chocolate aftertaste than any stout I have tried so far.
A grand and definitely Imperial Stout.
I may have found heaven.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a solid black liquid with a well stacked creamy brown head. Lots of web-like laceing left behind after a few swallows.

Smell: The aromas are strong wafts of chocolate, toasted wheat bread, premium coffee blend, and a potent alcohol is noted. Also, I am getting some dark fruits such as raisins and fig.

Taste: This resembles some of those dark chocolate candies with the burst of liqueor on the inside. Coffee notes are still present, light soy sauce, some wood notes, and a vague licorice.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy motor oil, sweetness upfront with a very strong alcohol presence throughout. High carbonation.

Drinkability: This has always been a great beer for me. This isn't what I would call one of the best, but lets just say I keep coming back to it. It's definitely worth the try.

Cheers2Beers

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours out black as heck with lots of brown suds and lots of lacing around the pint glass.
Smell is coffee burnt malt with lots of yeast. Great Divide has a wonderful yeast.
Taste is perfect. Sweet malty start with just a hint of bitterness.
Alcohol comes into play then the sweetness of the malt and sugar takes over.
I can't get this around here and it is already one of my favorites..
Shit!
Mouthfeel is malty and sugary with lots of carbonation.
Drinkability is high here if you like this heavy dark brew.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A Yeti imported. bb date 4-2011. I hope it's still ok. I expect so.

Untamed imposing stout. My 2nd encounter with yeti (previously the oak aged).

Very dark brown, with a dark brown head as well.
Once again the pine hoppy smell strikes me violently, but pleasantly. This is a smell that's intriguing.
I have not found it anywhere on the European market, at all...

After a while, in both smell and taste, the coffee, chocolate, and roasted nutts come forward.. but the hops are never far away. They're pine, spice, floral.
Mouthfeel is full heavy, creamy. Dark bitter chocolate in the aftertaste... and it's lasting a long time.

Easily one of the best beer drinking experiences you can have.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A - Black with a dark mocha colored head. Looks amazing in a glass

S - Excellent smell, lots of coffee and a little bit of chocolate. I got a bit of dark fruit in there from the roasted malts, but not much. A small amount of earthy hops

T - Follows the smell almost exactly, but there was more coffee flavor than anything else. A nice, mildy complex flavor, but the only thing I can distinguish is the coffee (I don't have a very advanced palate)

M - Full bodied, just coats your mouth. A nice amount of carbonation, but not too much. I bet a year of age and it would mellow out and be amazing

D - Great. It's not absolutely amazing, but I'm gonna try to trade for it again someday. Maybe the oak aged version ;)

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled 2/18/2011. Pours pitch black color with a nice 2 finger dense tan head with fantastic retention that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some great soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa powder, caramel, roasted coffee, biscuit, molasses, roasted malt, nuttiness, and light herbal hops. Incredible aromas here with great balance and complexity. Taste of big dark chocolate, roasted malt, biscuit, caramel, toast, molasses, dark coffee, herbal spiciness, and nuttiness. Fair amount of spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, caramel, molasses, coffee, herbal spiciness, and toast on the finish for a while. Great flavor balance and complexity. Medium carbonation and full bodied; with a huge creamy and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden at 9.5% with only a faint warming after the finish. Overall this is an absolutely incredible imperial stout; and has lived up to the expectations of the last time I had it as well. I need to buy more of this just to keep around and age.

Bottle dated 3/4/2011

A- Pours deep and dark as a black hole into my Bruery tulip glass. 2 1/2 fingers of khaki foam floats upon this dark cocoa brew, fades rather quickly... but leaves a ton of spider web lacing!

S- 85% cocoa bar, bitter black coffee, charred wood, vanilla and some fruity/citrusy hops punching thru! A touch of yeastiness comes thru as it warms up.

T- Jeez... this is brilliant! Ever time I drink a bottle of this I wonder to myself... how do they do it so consistantly!!! Tastes of licorice, really dark chocolate, espresso, and a decent piney bitterness from the hops.

M- Nice little bite of alcohol, a touch chalky and dry, a little bit sticky and chewy. Tastes like the best espresso brownie that you've ever had. Nice grapefruit/pine/hops kick that really hangs onto the tongue and blends well with the roasted chocolate and coffee.

O- Not many "everyday" stouts are better than this IMHO! Hell, this is better than most once a year, limited Imperial Stouts! I really wish this was available in NY where I live! It used to be... Please come back Great Divide... I miss you!!!

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

(On-tap at Sonka's Irish Pub). Pours a great deep dark black with fantastic head, and just a bit of lacing. Excellent scent, a deep malty aroma with some roasted grains and a little bit of thick plum. Huge deep malty scent; hints of prune and plum, some roasted grains and slight coffee twinge, with a decent hop ending. Goes down quite good, thick with a hint of alcohol. An excellent impy stout.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Really enjoyed this. Picked up a 22oz bomber at Glen-Ro Spirit Shoppe in Monroe, CT

A - Darker than a black steers tookas on a moonless prairie night (lebowski reference anyone?). Nice 2-finger, dark toffee head that held strong. Good looking lacing down the class.

S - Hops! Could easiily pick up the toffee and caramel malts.

T - Toffee, caramel. Sweet, with some coffee and chocolate undertones. The hops and malt really balance themselves out nicely.

M - Rich and delicious.

D - Went down way too easy for a 9.5%.

Looking forward to seeing what else Great Divide has to offer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

bought a bottle and drank it out of a snifter. It had the appearance of a little carbonation, very dark body with a thin,dark caramel head. An expresso smell was the first thing my nose picked up along with dark malts. the taste was typicial of stout but this one was very robust and went down smooth. It was very drinkable and would highly recommend this to anyone.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company