Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,685 | Hads: 4,903
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours black with a dark brown head that looks creamy and thick. Great retention.
Smell is malt, smoke, light hops, cardboard and molasses. Great balance.
Taste is all that with chocolate and alcohol.
Warming all over. Light effervescence. Full-bodied, creamy and chewy. An awesome brew. Have two, slowly. (304 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours an attractive, seal brown with a semi-thick, dark tan head that sticks around longer than most RIS's and leaves excellent lacing. It's hard to take a whiff of this brew and not immediately drinki it. Nevertheless, I resisted long enough to take some notes on the aroma. At first, all I can think of is chocolate chip cookies, with its cocoa malts and sweet bready notes. But then, it's followed by some hidden hops, organic barley, and raisins.

The taste is both subtle and direct at the same time. Bitter coffee and chocolate malts command the flavor at the front of the palate, while hop notes discreetly work the rest. Absolutely no hint of alcohol here, which can be good or bad, depending on who you are. For this beer, however, it definately works. The mouthfeel is the epitome of "velvety", as an amazingly smooth, thick body coats the tongue and inside of the mouth. Semi-sweet bitterness kisses the back of the throat on the finish. Even though I love most brews from Great Divide, I hadn't yet found a RIS that truly hit the spot. Consider the position filled. This beer has it all: taste, complexity, smoothness, a 9.5% ABV that only reveals itself halfway through the bottle (or by checking it on BA). Job well done, Great Divide. (1,291 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pour: As black and dark as they come with a brown head that holds well
Smell: Roasted coffee & malts with a slight hint of chocolate
Taste: Immediate taste of strong coffee, malt and slight chocolate. Just the right amount of hops in this one to help it finish strong. A great smoooth stout.
One of the best Stouts I have ever had Highly recommend (348 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle with no freshness date. The liquid is very black and thick with no transparency. It is topped by the most unique head I have ever seen, an orange, brown color that leaves the stickiest and thickest lace ever. The aroma, at first, is a bit hard to discern, but is characterized by a bitter roasted malt smell that is similar to a sweet dark chocolate.

The taste is a sweet malt, darkly roasted. The hop flavor is fantastic for a stout with post notes of hop bitterness. There is some distinct warm, alcohol flavor from the high abv but it is not overpowering.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy along with some fabulous tanginess. This is an excellent beer, matched by only a few. (710 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle marked 29A1E020 at 50 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma of roasted malt which lasts the entire glass
Head large (5 cm), light brown, creamy with rocks, diminishing to a 2 mm layer.
Lacing good – covers about 40% of glass with interconnected reticulum between each swallow.
Body dark brown, opaque; no light passes at even the glass/beer interface.
Flavor of slightly sweet roasted malt which ends with a slight roasted bitterness. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl. A slowly-rising alcohol warmth is felt in the stomach after a couple of minutes.
Palate full, creamy, carbonation soft

My database indicates that I have only previously had the oak-aged Yeti in bottles in 2010 and that I was unimpressed. Obviously there have been some changes in my palate since then. Yeti seems to be a lower priced version of TenFidy, but nearly as good, sort of like Ford and Mercury. (884 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance. Pours black with a little deep chocolate head on it.

Smell. Chocolate, roasty, smokey malts, and some dark roasted coffee and a little booze.

Taste. Huge roasty toasty dark malt, some coffee and molasses, smokey wood and dry bitterness in the end.

Mouthfeel. Full body, slightly oily with smooth, medium-light carbonation. Slightly warming.

Overall. Awesome imperial stout. I have a few other variations of this which I'm really excited to try after this one. (475 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours totally ebony with a 1/2" creamy, burnished-tawny head that settles to a light ring and gauzy netting over the body. Lacing wants to cling to the glass in delicate sheets.

Aromas of coffee and cream, or perhaps a fine cappuccino, waft upward to surround my head, like a caressing hand.

I lift the glass to my lips, where a bittersweet coating washes over my lips. The front of my tongue awakens with a light tingle, while a silken smoothness envelopes the middle.

I am greeted by rich, burnt-malt flavors, while freshly roasted coffee and elegant, bittersweet chocolate merge in a seduction-of-the-senses. A subtle sweetness sneaks around the corner. Piney, resinous hops arrest the entire back of my tongue - the bitterness is intensely appealing!

Most women may not try a stout, fearful that the robust flavors would overtake them - this one is so satisfying and "trance-inducing" - like a blend between a night with your lover and an exquisite morning espresso.

This is the kind of beer that creates desire! Definitely drinkable! (1,057 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Black with no light penetrating this mythical creature. Espresso black with a creamy brown, minimal yet fluffy looking head. Nice lacing up and down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The chocolate malts fill the nose. I get dark chocolate and smoky espresso. The hops are abundant, making my mouth water with anticipation of this bitter sensation. There is a little hint of alcohol lost in the mix.

Taste: Delicious, bitter chocolate, with a smokey and nutty follow through. Almost coffee like, reminding me of a macchiato from Jittery Joes. A great hoppy bitterness that I can't get enough of.

Mouthfeel: This brew definitely fills your mouth, it is smooth and creamy with just enough carbonation. Not quite chewy in my mind because of the crispy bitterness, but definitely built like a malt or milkshake (ok, so I might be feeling a little buzz).

Drinkability: Wow, this stout is great. I enjoyed it the day before Christmas Eve and I can't wait to go to the store and get a few more. I am actually planning on brewing an imperial stout that will require aging for 9-12 months. I can only hope it is and smooth and delectible. The Yeti connotation implies a brew only enjoyable during the winter. I totally disagree, I would drink this beer year round!!! (1,269 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured jet black with a purplish tan half inch head thick lacing.
Amazing hop on the top aroma with chocolate and burnt toast covered in a fruity marmalade with a hot cup of coffee

Taste is chocolate coffee with a burnt toast slathered in a buttery blueberry jam. The 75 IBU's help make this a very complex and delicious Imperial Stout. There is a slight burnt steak fat right off the grill taste in the finish that would make this brew go well with any kind of grilled meat.

Full bodied goodness! (499 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Aroma of this beer is pure delight - thick and oily, strongly of fine coffee with hints of molasses, miso and unsweetened chocolate. It pours a deep, rich, warm, opaque sable with a very thick and fairly persistent tan head. Flavor does not disappoint - it is strongly chocolaty with coffee and malty tones and hints of toffee plus a bit of a hoppy bitter bite. Texture is thick and smooth, and fairly tingly so you know that you're drinking a fine beer. Almost perfection, this one! (483 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Purchased as a bomber from Lina's outside Cleveland last month for $4.99 (not available around these parts). No born on or freshness dating. However, given the nature of the beast, I really don't have to worry about this one. Had the resident beertard take me to the back to get a fresh one to boot.

Pours a heavily viscous motor oil-like black goodness. Blackhole like quality, with no light shining through whatsoever. It sucks in the light of the shade when I even attempt to spy out some red hues. A thick dark burned chocolate chip cookie colored head oozes up after the pour to a thick three fingers. Eventually dies down to an eighth to a quarter of an inch of clinging foam that leaves trademark lacing. Perfection.

The aroma is noteworthy, with all the expected flavors of molasses, espresso, bourbon. It smells thick and chewy. I already want a thick piece of chocolate cake to enjoy it with.

There are three levels of flavor here. Initial rush of malty sweetness as the molasses shows off its goodness. Light bitterness, almost hoplike in nature comes next and perfectly compliments the former. It finishes nicely bitter, like the remains of a turkish coffee. You know, that thick chewy blackness at the bottom of the espresso cup. I always mix a little table sugar in it and spoon it into my mouth. I get wonderful images of seaside restaurants in the Meditteranean enjoying after dinner coffee.

As with that image, I think I'd need a limoncello just to clear the bitter and sweet mixture that has infected and taken over my tastebuds. Mmm, the thick and chewy, but easy, mouthfeel is captivating.

9.5%! Are you kidding me! This one isn't even close to being a sipper. I could, evilly and stupidly, pound this at happy hour and pay the price. Yes, mid west trips will have me picking this baby up again. (1,833 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Appears a very dark black with mocha colored head that is very thin and takes a vigorous pour to even arouse.

The smell is great with dark malts and dark fruit notes and still has a hoppy background

Taste is great too very different and complex. Dark chocolates and coffee with fruit and a nice hoppy bitterness in the end not found in most imperials.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth but still get the hoppy crispness not really what i am looking for in a stout but different and nice at the same time.

Hard to put to many away kinda sits heavy and has a high abv but still a very nice beer. (593 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Deep black in color with a very nice tight tan head. Just a beautiful beer, it really is. Nice roasted aroma-coffee and vanilla note. Big roasted malt flavor-not overly done either. Port like flavors. Oakey,raisens,vanilla and chocolate all meld into a heavenly mix. Great "inky" mouthfeel-silky smooth. I could drink this stuff all night. Has to be one of the top 3 or 4 imperials I think I have ever had. Get some. (416 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Was able to snag a couple on a trip. Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thin khaki head. Has deep scents of coffee and espresso as well as dark chocolate. The taste had these great highlights although it also had a nice clean finish as well as a deep nutty flavor. One of my all time favorites. (305 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter... dark black color with a two-finger tan head. Looks fucking amazing. Easily one of the best looking beers I've seen in a while.

It smells of bitter chocolate, a little dark roast coffee as well... very nice.

The taste is more of the same... the chocolate flavors stick to the tongue more than any other. There is a nice coffee aftertaste to it as well. One of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever tried. I'm really enjoying this one so far.

It's a shame the closest I can find this one is Houston, but I'll be sure to look for it next time I'm there to get some more. (607 characters)

From notes on 3/30/15

On tap at Great Divide. Thick body. Very dark. Huge chocolate aroma. Lots of sweet chocolate taste with a nice balance of roasted flavor. (161 characters)

Big thanks to wchesak!

Poured into Stone IRS tulip

Easy pour produces an amazing 2-3 finger head. Super dark brown head, very dense head that hangs around forever. Want to get a spoon and eat it like ice cream.

The nose is a complex coffee and chocolate mix that I have never smelled before.

The mouthfeel is like melted ice cream, so thick and creamy.

The taste is amazing. the high hop content adds such a different level of complexity in this.The Coffee, malt and chocolate notes dance around like nothing else!

This was pretty close to a perfect brew for me! Can't wait till they get to SD! (600 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

OK, I finally get a long-awaited chance to sample this beauty, thanks to aracauna for picking these up for me. It glurps out the bottle a mysterious black brew, not reddish-black, or dark brown, I mean black. A brilliant head the color of milk chocolate puffs up with tiny bubbles as it rises to a peak where it just stays and stays. Head retention is epic, the last inch still wears a nice veil. Lacing is nothing short of fantastic. It is so thick looking, every time I swirl the glass, it just paints the sides, awesome.

The aromas of expertly roasted coffee, juicy raisins, plums, creamy dark malts, and piney hop beauty rise to greet me. It smells like I have gooey, scorched caramel brownie in my glass. There's an underlying hint of the alcohol within, but not unwanted. If the aroma stands up to the tasting, I'm in for a real treat.

Wow, wow, wow! It begins with dark malt flavors of good chocolate, espresso, dates, molasses, and burnt toffee sweetness. It develops further with a well-rounded helping of Pacific hops. It's absolutely rich and indulgant. Believe the hype, believe the hype, this one is for real!

Mouthfeel borders orgasmic with it's tiny cascading bubbles of gentle carbonation and chewy, dense, liquid velvet goodness. A lasting impression of coffee and floral and piney hops leaves me wanting. My god this is good, and to think there is an oak-aged version. I will scour the Earth looking for some, you should too!

The finish on this beauty is fantastic. Crazy hops and lingering coffe bean bitterness with a touch of lip smacking and creamy malt. (1,588 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

During a recent visit to Washington DC's RFD (See Review), I stumbled onto a bottle of this ebony elixir. Needless to say, it was love at first sip. In fact, it was a superlative rendition of a style that is destined to become my favorite.

Yeti begins with a beige foam head that leaves a thick lacing lather (I may have also stumbled upon a new tongue-twister) around the glass rim.

Upon settling, Yeti is the color of machine oil and is completely impervious to light. We're talking zero clarity. My nose detected a very strong chocolate note, one that will increases if it sits long enough - I noticed an increase by manually agitating (stirring the beer to you Bud drinkers).

The taste? A warm blanket of chocolate malt goodness overwhelms the palate and provides a comfortable blanket of warmth for a cold winter night. Yeti is beautifully structured and provides the Drinker with that perfect balance between a splendid sipping beer and a subtly sweet after dinner quaff.

The Yeti is a splendid beast raised in the Rocky Mountains with love and compassion by a wonderful brewery - and what a balance that is. (1,119 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and a hint of alcohol. Upon first pour it looked like used motor oil being slowing changing into chocolate pudding. Weirdly enough I knew I was in for a treat. (192 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: It pours a deep black body with a thin brown head. Retention is incredible and there is more carbonation than expected.

Smell: Bitter, dark chocolate, fresh coffee, toffee, a touch of booze and a "woody" flavor I can't quite put my finger on are all noted. This may be the best smelling Russian Imperial Stout I've ever experienced.

Taste: Bitter chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee dominate early but are then followed by toffee and a hop kick. The "woody" taste shows up more along with a slight burn as the beer warms.

Mouth feel: It's thick like syrup and sticky. There's a perfect amount carbonation to compliment the dryness from the hops. This is a full bodied brew. and none of the flavors are ever overwhelming. I have a new favorite stout. (767 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super pitch black with no light escaping, thick with a creamy tan head that fades fast but leaves creamy walls of lace.

The smell is of rich chocolate, toffee, and robust roasted black coffee. Hints of dark fruit like raisin and fig. Some earthy hops peek through.

The taste is superb with a great balance of chocolate liquer, sweet toffee, bitter-sweet cocoa and richly roasted coffee. earthy, spicy hops hides in the background with an underlying dark fruit hint. Very nicely balanced between sweet, bitter, and roasted.

Rich, creamy,silky, smooth and thick. Full bodied with a slight booze burn.

Decadent sipper. (621 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of an amazing stout! Thanks, vintage cellar!

Pours to a completely opaque thick and viscous black with a nice chocolatey head. The head doesn't seem to be forming from a hard pour, but as soon as I let up the foam immediately begins to cascade up the glass. Beautiful. Leaves nice sheets of lacing on the glass.

The smell is surprisingly hoppy. Very piney with a nice dose of chocolate. Only a mild coffee and roast aroma. I could sit and sniff this beer all night, but at some point I'll get thirsty.

The taste is equally amazing. Very rich and thick molasses flavor with some chocolate and a mild roast. The hops also play quite an essential role in the taste. A nice citric and piney hop flavor lingers on the tip of the tongue while a roasted coffee and hoppy bitterness envelops the rest of the mouth.

This beer coats the mouth quite well without leaving any unpleasant residuals. The alcohol might as well be non-existent if not from the strong buzz after the bottle is done. I simply cannot wait to crack open the bomber of Oaked Yeti I still have in my cellar fridge, but alas I will have to save it for tomorrow night, or another date.

As for the non-oaked variety, I will definitely have to get more of this some time, somehow, some way. (1,279 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled July 30, 2012 Poured from a bomber into a Redhook Limited Release glass.

Appearance- Beautiful pitch black with little to no caramel head. Little lacing.

Smell- Chocolate roasted malts, bitter coffee, some hop presence, caramel. Very nice aromas.

Taste- Initial hop bitterness goes to roasted malts and finishes with chocolate at the back of my tongue. Nice bitter aftertaste (it is 75 ibu). Very well balanced. 9.5ABV is completely masked.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated. very smooth, but I'd like it to be a little more viscous.

Overall- Awesome RIS. Very well balanced and smooth. I will be sure to have this again. (631 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a thick dark brown, almost black, with ruby highlights. 1 inch dark mocha head with thick lacing on the glass.

S - Strong aroma of roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. There is a hint of alcohol but not overpowering.

T - Huge robust flavor of roasted malts/coffee and dark chocolate coat the palate. Bitter cocoa throughout. Alcohol is well hidden in the taste, only making its presence in the finish.

M - Heavy bodied and very thick. Smooth mouthfeel with low carbonation.

D - It doesnt get much better than this!!! This is a great example of the style and IMO one of the best. Flavor is huge and robust, and the body is exactly as it should be. (709 characters)

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company